Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do we even bother with this?
We all know how this is going to play out. Year after year it’s the same thing. Bengals don’t rush out to make any free agent signings and they surely aren’t breaking the bank for any top tier guys. The Glenn trade last year was an anomaly. Tender/resign our own mediocre players and maybe try to get a Preston Brown type player or two to fill holes. That’s what we can expect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I have optimism that there will be more signings this year than most with the new coaching staff. There are 2-3 cuts I wouldn't mind seeing as we sign guys.

I'll put the over/under at 4.5 on starters signed during free agency (including our UFA like Eifert, Dennard, etc).
Reply/Quote
Why would a new coaching staff make a difference in free agency signings? It's the same ownership with the same organizational philosophy. Can't see much changing.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 10:41 AM)Fullrock Wrote: Why would a new coaching staff make a difference in free agency signings? It's the same ownership with the same organizational philosophy. Can't see much changing.

Not sure you're age, but the year Marvin took over was probably the teams most active year in FA during his whole tenure. Ownership was more aggressive with signings to 'change the culture'. I think you are right that about the organizations philosophy not be changing much re: FA in the long term, but I'm hoping we'll see another one year anomaly to give Taylor the same opportunity. 
Reply/Quote
Why get excited for the coaching search? We all know it's just going to be Hue Jackson anyways...
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 11:54 AM)NKURyan Wrote: Why get excited for the coaching search? We all know it's just going to be Hue Jackson anyways...

Rep.

We have so many needs that I actually do not want the Bengals to run out and sign any of the highest paid free agents at their position.  But just last year we added the 8th highest paid OT in the league and Brown who was top half of the league in pay for his position.

We need to sign guys like we did in 2011 when we brought in 3 new starters for our defense from other teams.  Nate Clements, Thomas Howard, and Manny Lawson were not the highest paid players in free agency, but they all had lots of starts and decent production.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 12:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Rep.

We have so many needs that I actually do not want the Bengals to run out and sign any of the highest paid free agents at their position.  But just last year we added the 8th highest paid OT in the league and Brown who was top half of the league in pay for his position.

We need to sign guys like we did in 2011 when we brought in 3 new starters for our defense from other teams.  Nate Clements, Thomas Howard, and Manny Lawson were not the highest paid players in free agency, but they all had lots of starts and decent production.

Kelechi Osemele could have been had for a 6th rounder. We have 5 of those. Immediately addresses our need on the right side. He’s played left guard but could easily flip to the right. It’s like they’re not even trying to improve. It’s just the same old reactive free agency approach. Guys like Lawson, Clements and Howard were those 3rd tier free agents that just happened to pan out.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 12:33 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Kelechi Osemele could have been had for a 6th rounder. We have 5 of those. Immediately addresses our need on the right side. He’s played left guard but could easily flip to the right. It’s like they’re not even trying to improve. It’s just the same old reactive free agency approach. Guys like Lawson, Clements and Howard were those 3rd tier free agents that just happened to pan out.

The key is Osemele's cap hit...
Osemele has two years remaining on his contract, with cap charges of $10.2 million and $11.7 million. But he has no guaranteed money remaining, so he could be cut if he underperformed.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I dont understand why other teams are getting rid of players they feel they arent getting proper value out of......
yet the Bengals have cut no one.....
you know guys like Cody Core....Vontaze Burfict....Michael Johnson..
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 11:54 AM)NKURyan Wrote: Why get excited for the coaching search? We all know it's just going to be Hue Jackson anyways...

That left a mark!!!! Hilarious Hilarious Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 12:45 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I dont understand why other teams are getting rid of players they feel they arent getting proper value out of......
yet the Bengals have cut no one.....
you know guys like Cody Core....Vontaze Burfict....Michael Johnson..

Cutting Burfict frees up a considerable amount of cap space. It’s a no brained, so why hasn’t it happened yet.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 12:33 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote:  It’s like they’re not even trying to improve.

Then neither are most of the other teams in the league.  Lots of teams need O-line help but did not trade for Osemele.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 09:14 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: We all know how this is going to play out. Year after year it’s the same thing. Bengals don’t rush out to make any free agent signings and they surely aren’t breaking the bank for any top tier guys. The Glenn trade last year was an anomaly. Tender/resign our own mediocre players and maybe try to get a Preston Brown type player or two to fill holes. That’s what we can expect.

Trading for Glenn and signing Brown was the equivalent of a world wind spending spree according to some on this board. Signs that things have changed! Katie's running the show!
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 12:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Trading for Glenn and signing Brown was the equivalent of a world wind spending spree according to some on this board. Signs that things have changed! Katie's running the show!

And some other people want to pretend those moves never happened.

"Nothing has ever changed in 28 years.  Bengals never bring in anyone except bums!"
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 12:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And some other people want to pretend those moves never happened.

"Nothing has ever changed in 28 years.  Bengals never bring in anyone except bums!"

Oh the moves happened and we finished 6-10.

They've also signed TO, Bryant, Coles and some other guys over the years. They will occasionally spend on 1 free agent. 
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 01:02 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Oh the moves happened and we finished 6-10.

They've also signed TO, Bryant, Coles and some other guys over the years. They will occasionally spend on 1 free agent. 

They signed three new defensive starters in 2011.  Our scoring defense went from 24th to 7th, and we improved from 4-12 to making the playoffs.

I know how hard you have tried to erase anything positive about the Bengals from your memory, so I thought I might help you out a little.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 01:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They signed three new defensive starters in 2011.  Our scoring defense went from 24th to 7th, and we improved from 4-12 to making the playoffs.

I know how hard you have tried to erase anything positive about the Bengals from your memory, so I thought I might help you out a little.

Thanks for going back 8 years to point out how the Bengals sign free agents Fred! I knew it took a lot of research.

And what was the result of that playoff appearance? Oh wait...yeah we participated in the playoffs and LOST.

Glory days! We participated in the playoffs 5 years in a row. Yay! Front Office!
Reply/Quote
It must be Free Agency time, judging by this thread......
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 12:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And some other people want to pretend those moves never happened.

It's the net result that matters. Sure we draft good to elite players occasionally. We also draft really bad players.

We also hang on to a HC who hasn't won a playoff game in what 7 tries?

We have the same GM since 1992 who hasn't won a playoff game.

Cherry pick little points. Hey in 2011 we signed 3 defensive starters.

It's the net results that matter. You can look for isolated instances that prove your point here and there, but the net results matter...and that's no playoff wins in 27+ years.
Reply/Quote
Reasons to expect the Bengals to sign free agents:

1) They need to. They've made some baby steps lately, so hopefully, they're ready for the next direction especially with a new coach.
2) New coaching staff usually follows with bringing in guys that are familiar with their regime or they are comfortable with. Hard to think they would've taken the job if they knew they couldn't do that.
3) Assistant coaches mentioned free agency quite a few times and bringing in players that they see as upgrades in their interviews.
4) Way too many holes to address in the draft if they're seriously thinking about making the playoffs right away.
5) If they went all in on a new coaching staff, no reason to think they'll skip out on FA, right?

Reasons to not expect the Bengals to sign free agents/be surprised if they follow the ole plan:

1) Are you surprised?
2) Outside of a big move every 6 years or so, they haven't given us a reason to expect it.
3) It's Mike Brown.
4) Every time you think they're getting better, they go back to the same habits.
5) They could have even more cap space if they cut Burfict and a few others. Restructure Kirkpatrick's contract. They haven't done that which tells me that this will be another slow year.

A couple of offensive linemen got dealt for some late round picks this weekend. Granted, one of them was from Pittsburgh so I doubt they would've traded him to us but the Bengals could've easily traded for those guys given that we have like 5 6th rounders.
Reply/Quote