Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do we even bother with this?
(03-11-2019, 10:12 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Half these guys have been Bengals coaches for all but a week or two. I dont even know how much evaluating they could've truly done by now, especially with the combine and having to plan for the draft. I dont think these guys know the team well enough to go out and sign a bunch of big names today. They may feel like certain players fit in their system better than they fit in Marvin's and we would never know.

Man there’s tons of tape out there of Bobby Hart being dreadful. You have to be pretty ***** stupid to want a guy like that on your team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Soooooo we didn't sign anybody? Hart and Uzawhatever doesn't count.

Glad I don't know the dates for these things so I never am paying attention while we go out and don't do anything.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 12:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Rep.

We have so many needs that I actually do not want the Bengals to run out and sign any of the highest paid free agents at their position.  But just last year we added the 8th highest paid OT in the league and Brown who was top half of the league in pay for his position.

We need to sign guys like we did in 2011 when we brought in 3 new starters for our defense from other teams.  Nate Clements, Thomas Howard, and Manny Lawson were not the highest paid players in free agency, but they all had lots of starts and decent production.

I'm not sure who's expecting the Bengals to go out and sign any highest paid free agents at their positions. Has the team ever done that?

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 11:34 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I'm not sure who's expecting the Bengals to go out and sign any highest paid free agents at their positions. Has the team ever done that?

To be fair, I think the majority of time those deals don't work out any ways.

Spend smart, not big IMO. The Bengals have enough holes to fill that they should be taking whatever they've allocated for FA to spread across several positions rather than blow it all on one guy. Yes, that one guy tends to be a much "sexier" signing that'll get people talking, but I'm not sure there's a single guy out there in FA that's going to make the same amount of difference that 3-4 guys in the next tier down will.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 11:53 PM)NKURyan Wrote: To be fair, I think the majority of time those deals don't work out any ways.

Spend smart, not big IMO. The Bengals have enough holes to fill that they should be taking whatever they've allocated for FA to spread across several positions rather than blow it all on one guy. Yes, that one guy tends to be a much "sexier" signing that'll get people talking, but I'm not sure there's a single guy out there in FA that's going to make the same amount of difference that 3-4 guys in the next tier down will.

You responded to my comment, but what you are saying has nothing to do with what I said.

I still don't know why anyone argues about spending big in free agency when we are talking about the Bengals, who have never spent big on other teams players.

Now, the Bengals have over spent on their own players, and that's no better than over spending on someone else's.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 12:09 AM)BengalChris Wrote: You responded to my comment, but what you are saying has nothing to do with what I said.

I still don't know why anyone argues about spending big in free agency when we are talking about the Bengals, who have never spent big on other teams players.

Now, the Bengals have over spent on their own players, and that's no better than over spending on someone else's.

Only the first sentence was in response to what you said. The rest was just me talking in general.

Seems to me like everyone's overspending so far based on some of these contracts from today. The market is what the market is, I guess.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 12:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And some other people want to pretend those moves never happened.

"Nothing has ever changed in 28 years.  Bengals never bring in anyone except bums!"

So they traded down nine spots in the draft to get an often injury prone tackle and a linebacker who is middle of the pack and you think they changed their philosophy.  Oh exalted one just how did that work out for you.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 09:14 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: We all know how this is going to play out. Year after year it’s the same thing. Bengals don’t rush out to make any free agent signings and they surely aren’t breaking the bank for any top tier guys. The Glenn trade last year was an anomaly. Tender/resign our own mediocre players and maybe try to get a Preston Brown type player or two to fill holes. That’s what we can expect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the plan is to suck for Trevor Lawrence in 2020 draft, they are spot on. Call me nuts, but I would trade Green, Dalton and Geno for lots of draft picks and salary dump to ramp up for 2020 by going 0-16 in 2019.

Look at this way, they will already have no fans in the stands in 2019, so why not build for winning and more fans in 2020.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 09:37 PM)NKURyan Wrote: '05 and '15 teams both had backup QBs out there. Kitna was no Carson of 2015, and McCarron's so mediocre he couldn't start for the Bills last year and is now buried in Oakland. The fact that they were in those games at all against a superior opponent was the surprise, not that they lost.

Palmer started the 2015 game; freak accident knocked him out. The Bengals were the better team with the better record that year, as they were in 2015. The 15 team had the game won, and McCarron had a higher passer rating than any one of Andy’s performances. Thank Hill, Burfict, Pac Man, and Joey Porter for the meltdown of all meltdowns. McCarron would have started the season as the starter in Buffalo but got hurt in the preseason. Everyone knows that Allen was taking over at some point in 2018.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2019, 01:40 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If the plan is to suck for Trevor Lawrence in 2020 draft, they are spot on. Call me nuts, but I would trade Green, Dalton and Geno for lots of draft picks and salary dump to ramp up for 2020 by going 0-16 in 2019.

Look at this way, they will already have no fans in the stands in 2019, so why not build for winning and more fans in 2020.

I don’t think Lawrence is eligible until 2021. Next year it’s Tua and Herbert.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2019, 12:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Rep.

We have so many needs that I actually do not want the Bengals to run out and sign any of the highest paid free agents at their position.  But just last year we added the 8th highest paid OT in the league and Brown who was top half of the league in pay for his position.

We need to sign guys like we did in 2011 when we brought in 3 new starters for our defense from other teams.  Nate Clements, Thomas Howard, and Manny Lawson were not the highest paid players in free agency, but they all had lots of starts and decent production.

Totally agree.
Reply/Quote