Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Why is Joe Mixon under appreciated?
Joe Mixon rarely fumbles (please don't jinx him) in his 1788 career touches. He runs with high legs, in. my opinion is why he is easier to trip up versus runners who run normally. But, he can do some amazing things taken for granted, how many one handed catches has he made to help our QB. Yesterday, they lined him up closer to the LOS and he made an amazing jump/cut to get a first down. I think he better suited for a QB under center, but not his decision.

Rush Attempts. Rushing Yards. Yards Per Attempt. TD's. Receptions
1,515 6,146. 4.1. 47 273

I will call myself out, I was one who said cut him or get him to take a pay cut. He did take the cut and he runs as hard or harder than ever. Let's give Joe some love, many players would have pouted and had a bad year, but Joe is quietly having another good year in a pass offense.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I've never been critical of Mixon's on-field performance. His coin-flip celebration last year made it impossible for me to.

I have been critical of off-field issues/reports.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
4.1 ypa is bad. Im sorry

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 07:03 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: 4.1 ypa is bad. Im sorry

Joe is not a home run RB. I don't recall Joe missing holes. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Hes a really good short yardage/goal line back at this stage of his career. Like a poor mans Jerome Bettis. I do feel when he is our featured back the defense doesn't have to worry about him breaking a big run so they can keep a light box. Him and Chase Brown compliment each other very well.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
If you’re not a speedster you can’t go down as easily as he does. I believe he’s usually down among the worst in the league in YAC, and explosive plays. He can be effective if everything is blocked up perfectly, but so can pretty much any RB’s. Mixon is decent as a pass catcher, I’ll give him that.

I wouldn’t be upset at all though if they decided to move on from him after this season (I don’t think they will). It’s a young man’s position, and I think they can pretty easily upgrade his spot.

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 07:07 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Joe is not a home run RB. I don't recall Joe missing holes.

Oh there’s definitely clips online of him doing just that from this season.

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 07:07 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Joe is not a home run RB. I don't recall Joe missing holes. 

you dont have to be a home run rb to average better than 4.1 ypa.

Reply/Quote
People get bothered by Mixon because he is the feature back but isn't good enough to fill that role. He is a replacement level runner. He doesn't have the "bag" to force missed tackles, so to speak. He fails most of his one-on-one attempts and is largely going to only get you what the line gives him because of this.

That doesn't mean he is bad, of course. You highlighted a very valuable trait of Mixon's and that is that he doesn't fumble. He is a strong receiver. However, once he has the ball in his hands he isn't much of a threat to the defense due to his inability to make defenders miss. He would be completely fine in a committee but the fact that he is THE guy is tough to watch.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 06:55 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Joe Mixon rarely fumbles (please don't jinx him) in his 1788 career touches. He runs with high legs, in. my opinion is why he is easier to trip up versus runners who run normally. But, he can do some amazing things taken for granted, how many one handed catches has he made to help our QB. Yesterday, they lined him up closer to the LOS and he made an amazing jump/cut to get a first down. I think he better suited for a QB under center, but not his decision.

Rush Attempts.     Rushing Yards.       Yards Per Attempt.       TD's.        Receptions
1,515                   6,146.                     4.1.                              47           273

I will call myself out, I was one who said cut him or get him to take a pay cut. He did take the cut and he runs as hard or harder than ever. Let's give Joe some love, many players would have pouted and had a bad year, but Joe is quietly having another good year in a pass offense.

That's not good, and the last 4 years he's at 3.8ypc. 4 of his 7 years he's been under 4.0, and only over 4.1 once and that was 5 years ago.

Sure feels like he's just Rudi Johnson 2.0, but if Rudi Johnson had a lot more off-field baggage and was less of a bellcow.

You say Mixon is running as hard or harder than ever, but he's having a career low in yards after contact at just 1.3 which is 33rd among qualified RBs.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 07:29 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: People get bothered by Mixon because he is the feature back but isn't good enough to fill that role. He is a replacement level runner. He doesn't have the "bag" to force missed tackles, so to speak. He fails most of his one-on-one attempts and is largely going to only get you what the line gives him because of this.

That doesn't mean he is bad, of course. You highlighted a very valuable trait of Mixon's and that is that he doesn't fumble. He is a strong receiver. However, once he has the ball in his hands he isn't much of a threat to the defense due to his inability to make defenders miss. He would be completely fine in a committee but the fact that he is THE guy is tough to watch.

Yes, he does get tripped up too much. But, he also punishes tacklers while not fumbling. I remember this guy named Tiki Barber, explosive and great vision, but for years he fumbled over and over again. 

I think too many fans take ball security for granted. I remember the term Bungles and it had a lot to do with turnovers to give games away.

He is also been durable, a lot of great RB's like Barkley are not.

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 07:03 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: 4.1 ypa is bad. Im sorry

Is it though?

This link is to all-time career YPC leaders in the NFL since 1933 (minimum of 750 career carries), and the list is not exclusive to RBs (4 of the top 5 are QBs).  Mixon is in a big tie for 161st place, tied with and ahead of many Pro-Bowl and HOF players for their careers.  There are 15 active RBs listed ahead of him, so he is in top half of the current RBs in the league.  Is he a superstar or future HOFer?  No.  Is he a good back?  Absolutely.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rush_yds_per_att_career.htm
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 06:55 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Joe Mixon rarely fumbles (please don't jinx him) in his 1788 career touches. He runs with high legs, in. my opinion is why he is easier to trip up versus runners who run normally. But, he can do some amazing things taken for granted, how many one handed catches has he made to help our QB. Yesterday, they lined him up closer to the LOS and he made an amazing jump/cut to get a first down. I think he better suited for a QB under center, but not his decision.

Rush Attempts.     Rushing Yards.       Yards Per Attempt.       TD's.        Receptions
1,515                   6,146.                     4.1.                              47           273

He is underappreciated because a lot of the time he is just not a good runner. His vision at times is bad, his balance is bad, he doesn't
accelerate very fast and he doesn't have break away speed. But he is a damn good pass catching RB is great in ball security and actually
hasn't been that bad in pass protection this year. I was hating on Mixon all Offseason, but he has been much better this year.

Chase Brown helps though, make no mistake. This is the 1-2 punch we have been needing at RB. Brown has elite acceleration and top 
end speed on top of having good vision and hands. Mixon is much stronger though in short yardage as we have seen. Chase Brown will
get a 10-15 yard gain and then get dropped for a 3 yard loss, just the type of back he is.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 07:57 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Is it though?

This link is to all-time career YPC leaders in the NFL since 1933 (minimum of 750 career carries), and the list is not exclusive to RBs (4 of the top 5 are QBs).  Mixon is in a big tie for 161st place, tied with and ahead of many Pro-Bowl and HOF players for their careers.  There are 15 active RBs listed ahead of him, so he is in top half of the current RBs in the league.  Is he a superstar or future HOFer?  No.  Is he a good back?  Absolutely.

Thank you. Is 4.1 great? No but it's still good. There are alot of things that go into this as well. We haven't wanted to focus on the run really since Taylor has been here. Heck it took a two years of one getting Burrows knee obliterated and then followed up getting by getting pummeled the next year before we said maybe we should build the line. Everyone tosses out the crap line for Burrow but for Mixon it's not even an after thought. He's not a perfect back he doesn't have elite breakaway speed ( which hurts his ypc ) but he is a good nfl running back. 
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 07:57 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Is it though?

4.1 is not good, yes.

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 08:13 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Thank you. Is 4.1 great? No but it's still good. 

it's really not. 

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 08:17 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: it's really not. 

Check the list out. It does put him in the range of alot of big names. But ask your self this question. Has this team ever gone out of they're way to help him since Taylor has been here? We don't value guards. I mean that seems to be a key part in a running backs success would be to value offensive linemen.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 08:26 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Check the list out. It does put him in the range of alot of big names. But ask your self this question. Has this team ever gone out of they're way to help him since Taylor has been here? We don't value guards. I mean that seems to be a key part in a running backs success would be to value offensive linemen.

a lot of those names were from times where 4.1 ypc was the league average. for example, in 2002, 4.1 was the league average. In 2018, 4.4 was the league average.

Mixon has been below average in his era. He hasnt been good. He's never been efficient

it's like praising a modern qb for posting a 91 passer rating because it looks really good compared to other qb's all time.

Reply/Quote
He came out early in his career with a lot more promise than I feel like his loved up too.

The last 2 years I was hoping to see a resurgence but it hasn't happened.

I don't know if it's scheming or what but his been a back that seems easily replaceable. But I todays league most are.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 08:42 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: a lot of those names were from times where 4.1 ypc was the league average. for example, in 2002, 4.1 was the league average. In 2018, 4.4 was the league average.

Mixon has been below average in his era. He hasnt been good. He's never been efficient

it's like praising a modern qb for posting a 91 passer rating because it looks really good compared to other qb's all time.

I still don't get your logic here. I mean I get it for QBs if your saying passing yardage total but I don't really think it applies to RBs ypc. A winning formula is a winning formula. 
But I'm not saying Mixon a top back or even top 10 anymore but he is a solid RB. I know he has limitations and I know we will need to get a more dynamic back in the near future. But we are also gonna need to put forth better effort in utilizing said RB than we have with Mixon throughout his career. 
Reply/Quote