Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is Mike Brown always bashed as the worst owner in football
Listening to JT the brick on sirius XM he said Mike Brown is the worst owner in professional sports. He is the most recent I hear this from media personalities all the Time. Our team success dwarfs Browns Commanders since Snyder took over Lions are worse Texans worse. Yes he isn't the best owner in NFL but He definitely isn't the worst. Just ridiculous with the team success recently Mike Brown continually gets bashed its not justified IMO.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2022, 11:52 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Listening to JT the brick on sirius XM he said Mike Brown is the worst owner in professional sports. He is the most recent I hear this from media personalities all the Time. Our team success dwarfs Browns Commanders since Snyder took over Lions are worse Texans worse. Yes he isn't the best owner in NFL but He definitely isn't the worst. Just ridiculous with the team success recently Mike Brown continually gets bashed its not justified IMO.

Mike is not the worst owner in pro sports. He’s genuine,caring, and supportive. He’s just ridiculously frugal and conservative. His children and grandchildren have had some positive effect on him recently.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Now, it mostly comes from lazy so-called experts who don't bother to do any research on the current Cincinnati Bengals so they take the already written 1990s narrative about the team and Mike

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(07-27-2022, 11:52 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Listening to JT the brick on sirius XM he said Mike Brown is the worst owner in professional sports. He is the most recent I hear this from media personalities all the Time. Our team success dwarfs Browns Commanders since Snyder took over Lions are worse Texans worse. Yes he isn't the best owner in NFL but He definitely isn't the worst. Just ridiculous with the team success recently Mike Brown continually gets bashed its not justified IMO.

Because during the 1990s and early parts of 2000s, the Bengals were not only the worst team in pro football, they were arguably the worst team in all of pro sports. The only constant through all the HC changes, QB changes, personnel changes, etc. was Mike Brown. Ergo, the owner of arguably the worst team in all of pro sports during the 90s is arguably the worst owner.

That said, since Marvin Lewis was hired, we're not even close to the worst team in football so anyone who claims Mike Brown is the worst owner is horribly outdated in their football information.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2022, 12:01 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Mike is not the worst owner in pro sports. He’s genuine,caring, and supportive. He’s just ridiculously frugal and conservative. His children and grandchildren have had some positive effect on him recently.

I'd say his controlling ways and stubbornness was more of an issue than him being "frugal". Since he's hired good people and delegated football operations and stopped medaling so much in operations things have gotten a lot better. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote

Because these idiots know someone who knows someone who was a former player in the league and they knew someone who played for the Bengals who had either some beef with them, didn't get the $$ they wanted, etc. It's a known fact that back in the day there were basics such as towels not being soft/large enough (had a buddy whose college roommate played for Cinci back in 2003-2008) , cafeteria/food issues, ticket issues for friends/family, etc.

That can be perceived as cheap/frugile and who is to argue that but this organization is not the one of yesteryears.
Reply/Quote
Mike made his bed in the 90s and has had to sleep in it, sadly. He isn’t the worst owner, people don’t hear about the families he helps who are employed by him. I used to have a friend who cleaned offices down there, his dad was the facility engineer after PBS opened, and he would tell me stories about how Mike is paying for so-and-so’s cancer treatments, or someone’s loved one’s funeral, etc. And these aren’t players, coaches, or front office members. These are regular, “everyday type” workers working behind the scenes. People who NEED the help. Thats a caring old man, if anything.

I’m not saying he’s great, but he’s FAAAAAAR from the worst owner in sports. Look at all the scumbags who have had scandals…Mike Brown is not one of those types.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2022, 12:32 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: Mike made his bed in the 90s and has had to sleep in it, sadly. He isn’t the worst owner, people don’t hear about the families he helps who are employed by him. I used to have a friend who cleaned offices down there, his dad was the facility engineer after PBS opened, and he would tell me stories about how Mike is paying for so-and-so’s cancer treatments, or someone’s loved one’s funeral, etc. And these aren’t players, coaches, or front office members. These are regular, “everyday type” workers working behind the scenes. People who NEED the help. Thats a caring old man, if anything.

I’m not saying he’s great, but he’s FAAAAAAR from the worst owner in sports. Look at all the scumbags who have had scandals…Mike Brown is not one of those types.

This. I've criticized Mike HEAVILY in the past, but it was always how he ran the football team and not how he was as a human being.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
He's not even the worst owner in Cincinnati let alone pro sports...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

Because it seems Mike Brown runs the Bengals franchise like a mom and pop shop, and past perceptions stick around.
He has multiple family members employed in leadership.
Brown hasn't been willing to appoint a formal GM, whereas every other team except DAL has one (despite Tobin basically doing a good percentage of these duties).
Things like the Gatorade debacle with Johnathan Joseph will stick in people's minds.
Not having a Ring of Honor until just last year.
Not having an indoor practice facility (but will soon).
There have always been reports that the Bengals haven't been willing to give out as much guaranteed money as many other franchises.
Seemingly undervaluing certain positions like IOL (well) under the market value and trend from the past 5-10 years.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Up until a year or two ago, you could hear the same thing here. It's simply not true. Wasn't true then, isn't true then. Same as the "cheap" label. Going back through contracts in the past, the Bengals may not have always paid top dollar, but they were far from bottom dollar. Carson Palmer, I believe, set a record at the time if I remember right.
Reply/Quote
Off the top of my head, Daniel Snyder, Jerry Jones and Stephen Ross are all clearly worse than Mike Brown.

Shad Khan and Dean Spanos are probably up there too.

And that's not even delving into other sports where we got our very own horrible team owner here in Cincinnati, Bob Castellini.
Reply/Quote
Perception is reality. For the 90's he was. The stories of cheapness were legendary...and quite frankly that reputation is hard to overcome.
Reply/Quote

I'd wager the difference is the timeframe or just how long Mike Brown has been at it as our owner and GM.  The Browns, Lions, DC squad, and Texans have tried different front offices and GMs and even had different owners in some senses.  Mike Brown, until Joe Burrow arrived and was an instant success at a position that has been made extra ultra essential, hadn't won a playoff game in his 30 or so years in charge.

That's a long time to not be a winner when people are most likely to notice winning.  

Also, if (god forbid) the Bengals botch locking down Burrow for life due to someone like Sam Walton (or his kids...they own the Broncos right?) or David Tepper offering 100% guaranteed money then Mike Brown is going to be right back as square one as "the worst."

But again, Burrow is so damn good that I'm not convinced Mike Brown just coincidentally became a SB-worthy GM and owner on his own.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2022, 12:27 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Because during the 1990s and early parts of 2000s, the Bengals were not only the worst team in pro football, they were arguably the worst team in all of pro sports. The only constant through all the HC changes, QB changes, personnel changes, etc. was Mike Brown. Ergo, the owner of arguably the worst team in all of pro sports during the 90s is arguably the worst owner.

That said, since Marvin Lewis was hired, we're not even close to the worst team in football so anyone who claims Mike Brown is the worst owner is horribly outdated in their football information.

This.

Phil just saved me a lot of typing.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2022, 01:06 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Seemingly undervaluing certain positions like IOL (well) under the market value and trend from the past 5-10 years.

I don't see why people claim Mike does not value IOL.

-Both Zeitler and Steinbach were overpaid in free and it would have been a mistake if Mike had paid that much to keep them.

-He paid Bobbie Williams and Clint Boling enough to stay here instead of leaving n free agency. 

-He used a first round pick on a Center (Price) and an OG (Zeitler).
Reply/Quote
I'd say it was because up until last year , He never got the team to a playoff win, no practice facility, and played hardball with contracts to much. Things are changing though. Thank Joe Burrow for that..
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2022, 02:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't see why people claim Mike does not value IOL.

-Both Zeitler and Steinbach were overpaid in free and it would have been a mistake if Mike had paid that much to keep them.

-He paid Bobbie Williams and Clint Boling enough to stay here instead of leaving n free agency. 

I agree with you Fred. We all gotta admit, Mike has finally learned from alot of the shit he did wrong. He's just old school is all.. I was happy to see Mike hoist the AFC championship trophy. I hope he gets a superbowl before his time is up..
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2022, 02:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't see why people claim Mike does not value IOL.

To my recollection, Bengals have never had a Top-5 paid OG or C on their roster, have they?
Have they ever given an IOL $10+ mill APY?

EDIT - Currently, Cappa is the 13th highest-paid OG based on APY at $8.75 mill. Karras is the 13th highest-paid C based on APY at $6 mill.
8 OGs are paid $10+ mill APY. 7 Cs are paid $10+ mill APY.

I'm not saying the Bengals made bad signings. I like both Karras and Cappa. But they haven't seemed to go after premier IOL on the market when some people have thought they should have but didn't want to pay that premium price.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-27-2022, 01:07 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Up until a year or two ago, you could hear the same thing here. It's simply not true. Wasn't true then, isn't true then. Same as the "cheap" label. Going back through contracts in the past, the Bengals may not have always paid top dollar, but they were far from bottom dollar. Carson Palmer, I believe, set a record at the time if I remember right.

I disagree about Mike Brown not being cheap, even though he might spend money on players. 

He has cut so many corners, like no indoor practice field (until now), the smallest scouting department, and we have one of the smallest, if not the smallest, front offices in the league, among other things.

I think it's just because Mike Brown thought that he could run a successful franchise and have a winning team by doing the least work and spending the least money possible.

That's why Palmer left: he felt like Mike Brown wasn't being aggressive enough in trying to win.

Quote:“Maybe a day or two after the season I called Mr. Brown and said, ‘Hey, can we talk? You have to be aggressive in pursuit of winning,’ ” 

When you have a quarterback as good as Palmer, Mike Brown should have been doing everything in his power to surround Palmer with the best team to win, which the fact that he only fired Bob Bratkowski (his friend) in an attempt to lure Carson back.

I also remember a story of a big time free agent defensive lineman getting on a airplane to come visit and Mike Brown was too cheap to buy him a first class ticket, so he couldn't even fit his legs in the seat and then just got off the plane and didn't even come.

Now, since it looks like Katie and Troy are taking over and opening the pocket book a bit, let's hope that we see an improvement on the field.
Reply/Quote