Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why is there a narrative that the OLine is horrible?
I keep reading over and over people say the line is horrible.

Let's examine:
-Volson has played well according to PFF.
- Collins and Williams have been good in previous years and are in their prime. They went against 2 top 5 edge rushers week 1.
-Karras and Cappa are solid.

There's also stats that shows Mixon gets less yardage than is blocked for.

We also see stats that show some sacks are on Burrow. It's his playing style.
Reply/Quote
15 sacks- leading the league. Terrible run game. We can look at advanced metrics all we want and grades to make ourselves feel better,, but sometimes just simplifying it is enough. They were better today, but still a long way to go.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 10:31 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: 15 sacks- leading the league. Terrible run game. We can look at advanced metrics all we want and grades to make ourselves feel better,, but sometimes just simplifying it is enough. They were better today, but still a long way to go.

I posted the ringer article. Sacks are on a qb as much as the line. Play style matters a lot.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 10:32 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I posted the ringer article. Sacks are on a qb as much as the line. Play style matters a lot.

Yeah, well Sure, but when you’re over 30 sacks above the next closest sacked over the past two years, that’s a sign of a bad line.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 10:36 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Yeah, well Sure, but when you’re over 30 sacks above the next closest sacked over the past two years, that’s a sign of a bad line.

The line has 4 new starters. It's basically a totally new line.
Reply/Quote
Pistons your going to have a heck of an up-hill battle trying to convince anyone that our O-Line isn't currently trash.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Individual statistics can be meaningful but in the case of an offensive line what matters more is what they accomplish as a group. Despite individual players’ PFF scores, what we see are still too many sacks on Joe Burrow and not enough seams for Joe Mixon.

Granted, the offensive line took a step forward in pass protection today; Joe Burrow’s statistics prove this. Run blocking is still a concern because Joe Mixon got stuffed like a Thanksgiving turkey.

I’m pleased with the progress I see.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 10:40 PM)QueenCity Wrote: Pistons your going to have a heck of an up-hill battle trying to convince anyone that our O-Line isn't currently trash.

I think some people get it.
Reply/Quote
It’s the best unit we’ve had since 2015. I think they’ll end up being above average by the end of the season.

Burrow did a much better job helping them out today, but it’s also no coincidence that they looked much better when they weren’t going up against an all world pass rusher like Watt or Parsons.

The run game struggles I’m putting more on Mixon. Perine was able to run for 5.2 a clip at the end of the game despite everyone in the stadium knowing it was coming.

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 10:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The line has 4 new starters. It's basically a totally new line.

Hey, I’m not disagreeing that is a new line, but 15 sacks is 15 sacks. I’m sure it’ll settle down, but no amount of twisting, turning, next gen, PFF grades, etc, is going to disprove that this has been a bad line to start the season.

The last guy to get sacked 13 times his first 2 games was David Carr. I don’t care if it’s 4 new linemen or not, that’s not good.

This week was a much better game from them.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 10:36 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Yeah, well Sure, but when you’re over 30 sacks above the next closest sacked over the past two years, that’s a sign of a bad line.

But 4/5 are new guys (3 of them decent vets). The QB might be the common denominator here. Today Burrow was getting rid of the ball, and evading the pressure he did see, and that made all the difference.

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 10:43 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s the best unit we’ve had since 2015. I think they’ll end up being above average by the end of the season.

Burrow did a much better job helping them out today, but it’s also no coincidence that they looked much better when they weren’t going up against an all world pass rusher like Watt or Parsons.

The run game struggles I’m putting more on Mixon. Perine was able to run for 5.2 a clip at the end of the game despite everyone in the stadium knowing it was coming.

Precisely.
Reply/Quote
7 out of the 15 sacks are per both PFF and other analysts on Burrow. The run game issues are part Mixon being hesitant and a step slow AND problematic run play design. Notice that once they put Perine in AND stopped trying to run stretch plays and instead went to the RG-RT gap all of a sudden they were moving the ball well against a defense that knew the run was coming.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 10:41 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Individual statistics can be meaningful but in the case of an offensive line what matters more is what they accomplish as a group. Despite individual players’ PFF scores, what we see are still too many sacks on Joe Burrow and not enough seams for Joe Mixon.

Granted, the offensive line took a step forward in pass protection today; Joe Burrow’s statistics prove this. Run blocking is still a concern because Joe Mixon got stuffed like a Thanksgiving turkey.

I’m pleased with the progress I see.

But Perine didn’t.

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 10:46 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: But 4/5 are new guys (3 of them decent vets). The QB might be the common denominator here. Today Burrow was getting rid of the ball, and evading the pressure he did see, and that made all the difference.

Exactly. Put Brady behind this line game 1 and 2 and he's not sacked 13 times.

There are stats that show that Burrow is sacked at a much higher percentage of pressures.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 10:46 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: But 4/5 are new guys (3 of them decent vets). The QB might be the common denominator here. Today Burrow was getting rid of the ball, and evading the pressure he did see, and that made all the difference.

Blaming the QB for sacks only goes so far. When it literally hasn’t happened since David Carr, I tend to think that’s more of an indictment on the line. It’s always a culmination of things, but you can’t seriously think this line played WELL the first 2 games.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 10:48 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Blaming the QB for sacks only goes so far. When it literally hasn’t happened since David Carr, I tend to think that’s more of an indictment on the line. It’s always a culmination of things, but you can’t seriously think this line played WELL the first 2 games.

They didn’t. But Burrow was even worse than they were in those games. They were all better today. QB & OL.

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 10:48 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Blaming the QB for sacks only goes so far. When it literally hasn’t happened since David Carr, I tend to think that’s more of an indictment on the line. It’s always a culmination of things, but you can’t seriously think this line played WELL the first 2 games.

Game 1 we played 100 offensive snaps. That skews things.

Ratings show the tackles struggled vs Watt and Parsons. The interior line played well.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 10:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They didn’t. But Burrow was even worse than they were in those games. They were all better today. QB & OL.

This thread is saying why the line has been referenced as playing horrible. The answer is simple, they played horrible, whether Joe also played bad is irrelevant to this thread. They all played better, and I hope that continues.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2022, 10:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Game 1 we played 100 offensive snaps. That skews things.

Ratings show the tackles struggled vs Watt and Parsons. The interior line played well.

Last I checked the tackles are still apart of the offensive line. Why is it so hard to admit they played poorly the first 2 games?
Reply/Quote