Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why no small pick up trucks anymore
Pick up trucks are still very popular, but the best I can tell they no longer make a small or "compact" pick up.

What they call "small" pick ups now are like full size pick ups from 30 years ago.

Seems like there would still be a market for them.
Reply/Quote
Drive a midsize one, Chevy Colorado
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2018, 12:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Pick up trucks are still very popular, but the best I can tell they no longer make a small or "compact" pick up.

What they call "small" pick ups now are like full size pick ups from 30 years ago.

Part of it is the mfr's marketing geniuses see the how well the big pickups sell, as well as what the profit margin is for them. Then advertising takes over to convince the buyers that America loves their big trucks. Aside from the pickups, the smaller compact cars are growing in size too, especially the Japanese models. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
A couple of reasons off the top of my head.

1. Full sized people just aren't comfortable in them.

2. You can't do any real towing or hauling with them.

3. The extraordinary growth of the Crossover Sport Utility market has absorbed a great deal of the niche market for cute, useless toy trucks.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
How about a Honda Ridgeline? Jeep has one coming out based on Wrangler chassis.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2018, 02:44 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A couple of reasons off the top of my head.

1.  Full sized people just aren't comfortable in them.

2.  You can't do any real towing or hauling with them.

3.  The extraordinary growth of the Crossover Sport Utility market has absorbed a great deal of the niche market for cute, useless toy trucks.

In other words Americans are fatter than ever.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2018, 07:52 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: How about a Honda Ridgeline? Jeep has one coming out based on Wrangler chassis.

Older models are fine but the new one is uglier than sin.

Looks like it was designed by a soccer mom.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2018, 07:56 PM)Millhouse Wrote: In other words Americans are fatter than ever.

Dude!  I'm 6'2", I bought an S-10 back when I was still lean and mean.  That thing was made for someone 5'6"...

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2018, 12:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Pick up trucks are still very popular, but the best I can tell they no longer make a small or "compact" pick up.

Fuel Efficiency Laws

The regulations are based on size of the vehicle.  Bigger vehicles obviously will have higher fuel consumption.  It's rumored that actually played a large part in Ford dropping all non-truck/SUV vehicles other than the Mustang.

With that said, I thought I saw something about Ford talking about bringing back the Ranger, which was a small truck.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2018, 08:38 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Fuel Efficiency Laws

The regulations are based on size of the vehicle.  Bigger vehicles obviously will have higher fuel consumption.  It's rumored that actually played a large part in Ford dropping all non-truck/SUV vehicles other than the Mustang.

With that said, I thought I saw something about Ford talking about bringing back the Ranger, which was a small truck.

The little Rangers aint that bad really? It was fun to drive when I borrowed one. LOL 

I don't have a Ford/Chevy/Dodge preference. My car broke down 10yrs ago and my girlfriend/wife now, let me drive her dads. It was a 4 speed and like i said, pretty neat. Son-of-a-gun was dependable too. Like the little train that could.

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2018, 08:49 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: The little Rangers aint that bad really? It was fun to drive when I borrowed one. LOL 

I don't have a Ford/Chevy/Dodge preference. My car broke down 10yrs ago and my girlfriend/wife now, let me drive her dads. It was a 4 speed and like i said, pretty neat. Son-of-a-gun was dependable too. Like the little train that could.

My father had a '96 when he passed that my sister and I passed back and forth as necessary until we gave it to my nephew when he got his license.  It was a nice little truck that could handle pretty much any job you had for it.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2018, 08:58 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: My father had a '96 when he passed that my sister and I passed back and forth as necessary until we gave it to my nephew when he got his license.  It was a nice little truck that could handle pretty much any job you had for it.

And good on gas. 

Reply/Quote
I have an 04 Tacoma with 2WD and an ext cab with 175K on it. Does everything I need. Can fit 2 extra ppl in if necessary, hauls mulch, rocks, gravel or anything else I need to move. Its great on gas, and the thing runs like a champ. Best part is, its been paid for for over 10 yrs. I love it and plan to drive it into the ground.
Reply/Quote
Thank chickens for no small or compact trucks anymore.

This is a bizarre question because I’ve been wondering the same thing lately.

So I looked into it a bit & it turns out that because America mass produces chickens, therefore saturating the world with cheap chickens, other countries imposed tariffs on x,y,z & small trucks. Since small trucks manufacturing plants left the country, ie S-10 & ranger, there is a 25% tax imposed to ‘import’ them into the states, despite being made by an ‘American’ company.

They still make these models, at least the Ranger I think, but don’t bring them here because of the 25% tax ... thanks to factory farmed chickens.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
ranger comes back next year. I think Chevy still makes a Colorado.
Reply/Quote
Stealing sales of a truck buyer. Some guy wants a truck. Doesnt need a giant f150. Bought the ranger instead. Less profit.

Now the ranger is coming back but bigger than ever. Which is dumb and not what people want.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2018, 02:04 PM)wildcats forever Wrote:  Aside from the pickups, the smaller compact cars are growing in size too, especially the Japanese models. 

A civic today is as big as a Camry from 25 years ago, but Honda came out with another tiny car, the Fit.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2018, 01:22 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Stealing sales of a truck buyer. Some guy wants a truck. Doesnt need a giant f150. Bought the ranger instead. Less profit.

Now the ranger is coming back but bigger than ever. Which is dumb and not what people want.

Totally agree with this. Sometimes the big trucks are just too much for the need of some. Plus, they kill the wallet. I guess its about taste for many. But a little overkill to spend $70K on a truck and never tow/haul anything with it.

Reply/Quote

A bunch of building materials come in 4x8 or 12 foot lengths ( drywall,fencing,plywood ), which wont fit the standard 61/2 foot bed on a small truck.
The gmc canyon and the chevy colorado are considered compact.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2018, 01:59 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Totally agree with this. Sometimes the big trucks are just too much for the need of some. Plus, they kill the wallet. I guess its about taste for many. But a little overkill to spend $70K on a truck and never tow/haul anything with it.

Dont get the cost of trucks now.

Even stripped down models (regular cab, 4x2, etc) cost way more than they should compared to cars.
Reply/Quote