Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Why the Rams win
(02-09-2022, 02:49 PM)CoachGeorge Wrote: We all know about the struggles of the OL and with the Rams excellent DL that’s likely to continue.  But not many people realize that LA’s secondary is about as good as it gets.  We haven’t played (much less defeated) a secondary so good.

Further, we are averaging a low 19 points per game against Vic Fangio-style defenses.  Raheem Morris runs the former Rams DC Brandon Staley’s (a Vic Fangio disciple) defense which he adopted in this, his first year as Rams DC). Morris’ preferred defense is a zone heavy, cover 2, 4-3 Under look (Pete Carrol, Dan Quinn).

I also don’t like all the energy the Bengals have used up as we prepare for Sunday’s game.  The Bengals are getting the rock star treatment while the Rams have quietly have been low-key.

I hope I’m wrong, but I rarely mess up my predictions.

I laughed at "but I rarely mess up my predictions".  Did you predict the Bengals would win out and make the Super Bowl?  Haha.

One interesting stat I heard from the DVOA folks on the latest Bengals Booth Podcast was that the Rams are actually 19th in the league in terms of shutting down the opposing team's #1 WR.  I know their overall defensive rankings for the season are pretty strong, but that doesn't factor in competition, injuries to other teams, etc.  

Your point about the Bengals are averaging a low 19 points per game against this kind of defense is based on, what, two games?  Well, interestingly enough, that Charger loss was the last time Burrow had multiple INTs in a game.  He had none in the Denver game and a rating over 100.  This illustrates, again, that Joe is always better the second time he sees something.  

No, they didn't set the world on fire against Denver.  They didn't take any chances.  They had enough to win with running the ball and their defense was stuffing Denver.  Interestingly, that Denver game was where the defense really started to come together for the season.  They have given up 20 points per game since then, despite facing the Chiefs twice.  Take the Chiefs games out of that seven game span and the defense has given up just 17 points per game...and that include two playoff games.

There is no doubt that the Rams defense will pose a huge challenge.  Very similar to the Titans defense as far as unique talents and strengths vs. weaknesses.  But I wouldn't bet against Joe Burrow in a big game.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 04:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Hard to say they don't give a shit about football when they bought twice as many tickets to NFL games as Cincinnati.

A market that has 4 million lives should have a few more ticket sales than one that is less than 1/8 of that...
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 06:00 AM)kevin Wrote: TROLL 

OK, TROLL for either Rams, Steelers, Browns or Ravens.  You are no Bengals Fan, that's for sure. 

Look, we heard the Trolls say Bengals couldn't win the AFC North, couldn't beat The Raiders, couldn't beat the Titans, couldn't beat the Chiefs. 

I now tell you Troll, that the Chiefs are better than The Rams. If Bengals can beat The Chiefs, the Bengals can beat The Rams. 

You are ALL MESSED UP on your prediction this time. You come on Bengals Site to say Bengals will lose Super Bowl. I tell you BENGALS WILL WIN SUPER BOWL.   It may come down to Shooter winning the Game, but Bengals WIN.  You haven't been watching THE BENGALS DEFENSE shutting teams down all through the Play-Offs.  If the Bengals can beat Titans in Tennessee and beat Chiefs in Kansas City, they can beat Rams in LA. 

Oh, your nonsense about how Rams are handling LA better.  You don't know our Bengals.  Maybe the old Bengals would have lost focus in Hollywood and LA, but not the New Joe Burrow Bengals.  This team stays Focused and this team doesn't rattle, Kid. Just watch as Bengals hold up Super Bowl Trophy after they win Super Bowl.  Bengals have beat better teams than The Rams to get here.  Joe Burrow and Chase are going to hold up the Super Bowl Trophy just as they held up the College Championship Trophy only 25 months ago. You keep thinking this is the old Bengals, and THAT is your All Messed Up Prediction Mistake.

Tiger  Who Dey Tiger 

Troll? Troll? I have been Bengals fan since 1971. My father was a football coach. He worshiped Vince Lombardi. When CBS did a short summary on the great Paul Brown, I was sold. He was the greatest coach in history. Something I believe to this day.

My assessment was simply why I thought the matchup with the Rams defense could be problematic for the Bengals. Nothing more, nothing less. I’m sorry it has so many of you upset.

I hope I am wrong!
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 05:07 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: They didn't really face anyone.

Brady torched them for 432 yards and 103.0 rating.
Murray was great in the 1st game (268 yards, 120.3 rating)
But meh in the 2nd game (383 yards, 72.1 rating)
Rodgers was solid (307 yards, 97.2 rating)

These 4 games, the Rams gave up 24, 37, 36 and 23 points.

Aside from that, they didn't face any great QBs on good teams.

Even in the playoffs they got an easy ride. The Cards were falling apart. Brady lost half his weapons (still scored 27). Then they got Jimmy G with a throwing hand injury.

We'll be one of the 3 most daunting offenses they've faced all year, easily. They padded much of their defensive stats against the likes Dalton (Bears were awful), Daniel Jones, Jared Goff, Trevor Lawrence and Tyler Huntley.

This will likely get glossed over, but SNB nailed it.

The Bengals defense has been really, really strong down the stretch as well.  I know the Rams defense has more big name talent, but right now the Bengals are playing defense every bit as well as the Rams and I just like our QB better in the big game.  
Reply/Quote
Every molecule in my body wants the Bengals to win this game even though I know on paper the Rams are the "better" team and they are playing in front of a "home" crowd. For the first half, I want to party in public at an Italian restaurant within walking distance (since they will have $1.50 Killian drafts, ha ha) and then watch the second half here at home. That was a winning combo for the AFC championship, and I strongly hope it works for the Super Bowl as well.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 09:47 AM)CoachGeorge Wrote: My assessment was simply why I thought the matchup with the Rams defense could be problematic for the Bengals.  Nothing more, nothing less.  I’m sorry it has so many of you upset.  

I hope I am wrong!

Saying the Bengals will have trouble with the Rams defensive line is one thing. We ALL know that. Even Davis777 knows that. But to claim that the Bengals WILL lose and we should just accept it as fact is another thing entirely.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 06:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Both.  Chargers were #8 in attendance per game this year (71,598).  Rams were #10 (70,240).

Bengals were 29th (60,325)

2021 NFL Football Attendance - National Football League - ESPN

SoFi Capacity: 70,000
PBS Capacity: 65,535

C'mon, Fred; that was too easy.

(02-09-2022, 11:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Has anybody in the history of this forum NOT stood by what they said and what exactly does that mean?

I have MANY TIMES backed down when I have been proven wrong.

Takes maturity, guts and class to admit you're wrong and accept things, but most-people don't have those 3 qualities, so yeah...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 10:31 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I have MANY TIMES backed down when I have been proven wrong.

I don't care if there's video evidence with someone literally proving everything I said was wrong, I'm still standing by what I said because my daddy raised no quitter.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 09:47 AM)CoachGeorge Wrote: Troll?  Troll?  I have been Bengals fan since 1971. My father was a football coach.  He worshiped Vince Lombardi.  When CBS did a short summary on the great Paul Brown, I was sold. He was the greatest coach in history. Something I believe to this day.

My assessment was simply why I thought the matchup with the Rams defense could be problematic for the Bengals.  Nothing more, nothing less.  I’m sorry it has so many of you upset.  

I hope I am wrong!

Hey man, everyone is entitled to a prediction or opinion. I hope you are wrong too, but it certainly doesn't make you a bad fan. 
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 03:07 PM)Nepa Wrote: Well, to be honest, a lot of us where on the old boards and never transitioned. And a lot of us have been lurking on this board for years. But this team has been so special this year that it spurred some of us to go ahead and register. I've was on the old board for about a decade and never transitioned to this board, sitting quietly even during the Chase/Sewell debates. It great to be part of the community again during this historic run.

^^ This is exactly my story as well. I was on the old board (same username as now) and never transitioned. I re-registered on here earlier this season.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 05:08 AM)grampahol Wrote: Holy shit and Jesus.. A winning combination.. I'm kind of surprised someone in the Catholic marketing department never tried hocking holy shit.. Sounds like a very Catholic thing to do.. I was raised in that foolishness so I should know.. LOL

STOP!   Hilarious
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 10:31 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: SoFi Capacity: 70,000
PBS Capacity: 65,535

C'mon, Fred; that was too easy.

Yep. Not only did Bengals sell fewerl tickets they also had a higher percentage of empty seats.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 09:57 AM)WiregrassBenGal Wrote: Every molecule in my body wants the Bengals to win this game even though I know on paper the Rams are the "better" team and they are playing in front of a "home" crowd. For the first half, I want to party in public at an Italian restaurant within walking distance (since they will have $1.50 Killian drafts, ha ha) and then watch the second half here at home. That was a winning combo for the AFC championship, and I strongly hope it works for the Super Bowl as well.

The home crowd aspect is overrated. the last 3 years (admittedly with no fans last year) home teams have not won above 52% of games. LA fans barely care about the Rams. Plus the superbowl is a different animal from even the NFC Championship game.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 02:49 PM)CoachGeorge Wrote: We all know about the struggles of the OL and with the Rams excellent DL that’s likely to continue. But not many people realize that LA’s secondary is about as good as it gets. We haven’t played (much less defeated) a secondary so good.

Further, we are averaging a low 19 points per game against Vic Fangio-style defenses. Raheem Morris runs the former Rams DC Brandon Staley’s (a Vic Fangio disciple) defense which he adopted in this, his first year as Rams DC). Morris’ preferred defense is a zone heavy, cover 2, 4-3 Under look (Pete Carrol, Dan Quinn).

I also don’t like all the energy the Bengals have used up as we prepare for Sunday’s game. The Bengals are getting the rock star treatment while the Rams have quietly have been low-key.

I hope I’m wrong, but I rarely mess up my predictions.

Worst pregame speech ever, Coach.

What’s next? Ya gonna come over to the house and kick my wife and **** the dog?
Reply/Quote
I dont like the title of this thread...can we remove it for now? too damn negative vibe
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2022, 02:56 PM)basballguy Wrote: I really enjoy going to threads and not seeing it full of members that joined May 2015

Boom!! Suck it.. May 2015’ers!!
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 09:47 AM)CoachGeorge Wrote: Troll?  Troll?  I have been Bengals fan since 1971. My father was a football coach.  He worshiped Vince Lombardi.  When CBS did a short summary on the great Paul Brown, I was sold. He was the greatest coach in history. Something I believe to this day.

My assessment was simply why I thought the matchup with the Rams defense could be problematic for the Bengals.  Nothing more, nothing less.  I’m sorry it has so many of you upset.  

I hope I am wrong!

I don't think its that you picked the Rams, I think its the horseshit statement saying your "rarely wrong with your predictions"

I think you should enjoy this moment and just leave those "Rarely missed" predictions of yours on the back burner and go all in on this team regardless of the struggles they will encounter this Sunday.

You can't measure magic!
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 07:49 PM)GodFather Wrote: I don't think its that you picked the Rams, I think its the horseshit statement saying your "rarely wrong with your predictions"

I think you should enjoy this moment and just leave those "Rarely missed" predictions of yours on the back burner and go all in on this team regardless of the struggles they will encounter this Sunday.

You can't measure magic!

Guy I ran into at a store yesterday asked me who I thought would win.  I said I think it's two great teams, could see it going either way, but I've gotta lean Bengals.  His eyebrows about popped off his head and he said okay, but what if you had money on it?  I said still Bengals.  His jaw was the floor.  I said look, I can see where it sounds crazy, but you can't bet against this team right now.  They've stepped up week after week this postseason and just keep giving reasons to believe.  I'd be stupid to bet against that unless I was just trying to cover myself so I could be in the camp of "happy even if they lose."  

There are definitely some intangibles on this team and it sure seems they're tripping up a whole lot of experts every week.  Let's get em again with a big win this Sunday. 
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 08:14 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Guy I ran into at a store yesterday asked me who I thought would win.  I said I think it's two great teams, could see it going either way, but I've gotta lean Bengals.  His eyebrows about popped off his head and he said okay, but what if you had money on it?  I said still Bengals.  His jaw was the floor.  I said look, I can see where it sounds crazy, but you can't bet against this team right now.  They've stepped up week after week this postseason and just keep giving reasons to believe.  I'd be stupid to bet against that unless I was just trying to cover myself so I could be in the camp of "happy even if they lose."  

There are definitely some intangibles on this team and it sure seems they're tripping up a whole lot of experts every week.  Let's get em again with a big win this Sunday. 

Same way I feel and honestly if that dude was actually watching us in the Playoffs he would see the same.

Must not know football or care that much. I know the Rams very well as I watch every single Playoff team and every game.

No team has played with mad heart like the Bengals have, especially on Defense, not even the Rams or 49ers.

Titans played us really hard but still lost cause they turned the ball over.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 08:14 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Guy I ran into at a store yesterday asked me who I thought would win.  I said I think it's two great teams, could see it going either way, but I've gotta lean Bengals.  His eyebrows about popped off his head and he said okay, but what if you had money on it?  I said still Bengals.  His jaw was the floor.  I said look, I can see where it sounds crazy, but you can't bet against this team right now.  They've stepped up week after week this postseason and just keep giving reasons to believe.  I'd be stupid to bet against that unless I was just trying to cover myself so I could be in the camp of "happy even if they lose."  

Anyone who thinks the idea of the Bengals beating the Rams is crazy just hasn't paid attention. At all. We beat the Chiefs and the #1 seed Titans in their buildings. Our defense has played as well as the Rams in the playoffs, against better offenses.

Our offense is just as loaded as the Rams.

This isn't the 2001 Patriots against the Greatest Show on Turf, here...and we know how that turned out.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote