Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wil Hill Bust Out This Week?!
Denver has allowed the 2nd most rushing yards in the league through two games, but has allowed the 2nd fewest passing yards and have the 2nd most sacks this season.

Given the struggles the offensive line has seemed to have pass blocking and the fact that Hill has yet to be allowed to just break loose, is this the week that we give him 25+ carries and he returns to beast mode?

Will this be the week that gets his confidence back and gets him back on track for the year?

I'm PRAYING we do because I think this could be his return to the top of the Hill!

We just need to run him north/south and not east/west.
Reply/Quote
Gio will have more total yards. Hill won't break a hundred

Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 09:12 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Denver has allowed the 2nd most rushing yards in the league through two games, but has allowed the 2nd fewest passing yards and have the 2nd most sacks this season.

Given the struggles the offensive line has seemed to have pass blocking and the fact that Hill has yet to be allowed to just break loose, is this the week that we give him 25+ carries and he returns to beast mode?

Will this be the week that gets his confidence back and gets him back on track for the year?

I'm PRAYING we do because I think this could be his return to the top of the Hill!

We just need to run him north/south and not east/west.

Can't run north/south when there's a big wall in the way with no holes.
The problem is blocking in general, not just pass blocking. Run blocking has been poor as well.

I expect this game to be a defensive battle and whichever team turns the ball over less will win.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Denver has actually allowed the 23rd most rushing yards this year. Certainly not great, but also not the second most (Cincinnati has allowed the most).

I vote "no" on the prospect of Hill breaking out. It has been a long time since Hill had any sort of breakout performance.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing/position/defense
Reply/Quote
Will Hill is out of the league now.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
No. His rookie season is looking more and more like an exemption.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
The o-line needs to shape up first. Until that happens the RB's aren't going anywhere.
Reply/Quote
I say yes. Establishing the run will be much more attainable at home, even against Denver.

I say 120 yards for Hill on 13 carries and 1 TD. Remember, one of Hill's greatest games as a Bengals came against this same defense in the Jungle.

I expect a somewhat sluggish day for the offense overall, though. Maybe only 200 yards even for Dalton passing on the day. As to who wins, this game seems to be another toss up. Denver won't blow us out, though.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
More evidence that it's the OL that needs to step up for the running game to improve - http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/24004/bengal-rbs-have-third-worst-yards-before-contact-average
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 11:09 AM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: I say yes. Establishing the run will be much more attainable at home, even against Denver.

I say 120 yards for Hill on 13 carries and 1 TD. Remember, one of Hill's greatest games as a Bengals came against this same defense in the Jungle.

I expect a somewhat sluggish day for the offense overall, though. Maybe only 200 yards even for Dalton passing on the day. As to who wins, this game seems to be another toss up. Denver won't blow us out, though.

Yeah, but 80+ of those yards came on one play. I get how that works and how bursts have to be counted toward an average, but to expect the burst or expect the average based on said burst is faulty logic.  Especially as of late.

We need Hewitt and/or Fisher in on the action Sunday.
Reply/Quote
Probably not looks like Hill was a one hit wonder, Gio is more explosive than Hill
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
Will the O-line provide a hole for either RB to do good is the question.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 11:09 AM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: I say yes. Establishing the run will be much more attainable at home, even against Denver.

I just looked it up.  The last time Hill had more than 100 yards rushing was week 16 of the 2014 season. I hope you are right, but I don't see anyway possible he gets 120 yards this week.
Reply/Quote
Hill will finish this game with about 40 total yrds or so, and maybe a TD... I feel that's a best case scenario.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 11:13 AM)ochocincos Wrote: More evidence that it's the OL that needs to step up for the running game to improve - http://www.espn.com/blog/cincinnati-bengals/post/_/id/24004/bengal-rbs-have-third-worst-yards-before-contact-average

Not saying the blocking has been good, I think we all can agree it hasn't been.

That said, the most interesting point of that article? (I know we're dealing in small samples still.)

Hill: 1.15 yards before contact
Gio: 1.60 yards before contact

Doesn't matter if there's holes or not if Hill keeps dancing.

Of course if those numbers are accurate, it also means that Hill is only averaging 1.50 yards after contact. That is an unacceptable number for a 235lb running back. Oddly enough right in line with last year's production, though. He ran for 3.6ypc last year, averaged 2.1ypc before contact, bringing him right at 1.50 yards after contact.

Is Jeremy Hill soft? Because two straight years of 1.50 yards after contact is suggesting that it might not be an anomaly. That's a bad number for any RB, let alone a 6'1, 235lb one.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 11:47 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I just looked it up.  The last time Hill had more than 100 yards rushing was week 16 of the 2014 season. I hope you are right, but I don't see anyway possible he gets 120 yards this week.

The only reason I feel confident that Hill will have a breakout game soon is that good players have good game and good teams play well.

So either Hill will have a breakout game before long or he/our offensive line just isn't really that good to begin with. I think our team is good, and that many of the players on the team are good. Thus, I expect them to play well. It's honestly that simple.

If we don't play well, then we are not a good team. After two weeks, I haven't seen quite enough bad to definitively say that we are worse than in years past. I believe Hill will bounce back eventually.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 02:42 PM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: The only reason I feel confident that Hill will have a breakout game soon is that good players have good game and good teams play well.

So either Hill will have a breakout game before long or he/our offensive line just isn't really that good to begin with. I think our team is good, and that many of the players on the team are good. Thus, I expect them to play well. It's honestly that simple.

If we don't play well, then we are not a good team. After two weeks, I haven't seen quite enough bad to definitively say that we are worse than in years past. I believe Hill will bounce back eventually.

I think the offensive line with start to gel and get their act together.  As I've stated in other threads, I think we saw the best that Hill had to offer in his rookie season and that is long gone.  I would love to be proven wrong, but don't he is very good.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 02:11 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not saying the blocking has been good, I think we all can agree it hasn't been.

That said, the most interesting point of that article? (I know we're dealing in small samples still.)

Hill: 1.15 yards before contact
Gio: 1.60 yards before contact

Doesn't matter if there's holes or not if Hill keeps dancing.

Of course if those numbers are accurate, it also means that Hill is only averaging 1.50 yards after contact. That is an unacceptable number for a 235lb running back. Oddly enough right in line with last year's production, though. He ran for 3.6ypc last year, averaged 2.1ypc before contact, bringing him right at 1.50 yards after contact.

Is Jeremy Hill soft? Because two straight years of 1.50 yards after contact is suggesting that it might not be an anomaly. That's a bad number for any RB, let alone a 6'1, 235lb one.

It means he is basically doing nothing other than falling forward after contact.  Also worth noting that Gio was ranked #6 out of 44 before contact last year while Hill was #26, behind the exact same line.  It shows you that Gio hits the hole MUCH faster than Hill does.

Has the line been performing well?  Certainly not, but Hill makes it look even worse.
Reply/Quote
If you look at the Bengals as a team over the last ten years, on ypc, they are kind of mediocre.

2016 so far..2.8 ypc

Only been over 4 yards per carry three times.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2016, 09:12 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: We just need to run him north/south and not east/west.

I know this is just a figure of speech(so I'm not harpin on you =) )...  or maybe a dumb question.       Do all fields go north and south?  

Not sure how our OL forgot how to run block with only 1 position having any turnover.  Was Andre Smith the secret to our run game? we seemed to run better on the left I thought when A Smith was here.   

This will be a test.. even if we somehow lose this one.(I'm counting on our Defense big here)    We would have cut our teeth on 3 of the better defenses in the league I think in the first 3 weeks.
Reply/Quote