Poll: Will Joe Burrow lead the Bengals back to the Superbowl soon?
This poll is closed.
Absolutely
76.92%
60 76.92%
Negative, Ghost Rider
23.08%
18 23.08%
Total 78 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Will Bengals be back in Superbowl soon?
(02-15-2022, 03:11 PM)thillan Wrote: So tough to say. There's so much talk about the Bengals attracting free agents.. but I think it's harder than that. If you're a player - you have a plethora of good options in the AFC.

Chiefs? No cap, but if you could SOMEHOW play with Mahomes, you probably take it.

Chargers? Herbert is arguably more exciting that Burrow, and has shown he can go toe to toe with the best of them. Defensive talent is what is needed.. and you're in LA, which I'm sure lots of athletes will love.

Bills? Josh Allen is a freak, and the team is becoming a blue-chip. Need better weapons to go with Allen.

The one we probably don't want to admit - Lamar. I saw some replies to my comment, but Baltimore would've been much tougher if the injury bug hadn't hit them that hard. Players seem to love Lamar.

I'm sure there's others.. Broncos, etc. The biggest thing to me is the cap space, and the fact that most of those teams I listed have a good OL, so the talent will hopefully want to come here. But to go back is going to be so hard. Not impossible, but the way this year went it was the PERFECT setup. We honestly should've put it away after that second interception by Stafford.

Just saying that we can make it back, but the road to make it back is so much more difficult in this current time with the talented QBs that are all over the AFC. Heck, Pittsburgh becomes a contender again if they snag one of the FA QBs they are rumored to be targeting.

However, I don't doubt we are back in the playoffs next year. I've never seen a Bengals team that healthy though, wow what a stretch. So close.

You name the issue. The AFC has a bunch of good, young teams with young qbs.

We could add a few solid lineman and not make it to the SB...just like KC this past season.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 07:54 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes I believe it really is just that simple. The Bengals fan skeptic in me can't help but be afraid they'll try to cut corners and hit it with a lick and a promise though, sorry.

But I do think if they'll actually, finally get Joe a "real" Oline this team will be a true contender for years to come.

They sunk big money (by Bengal standards) into the D. Will they now address the giant elephant in the room ? I'm not opposed to whatever it takes. Trade Joe Mixon, Tyler Boyd ? Cut Waynes and whomever else ? Do whatever it takes to get a real Oline.

They've just got to protect Joe.

Agreed. Not to focus on Mixon, but with a great line, I don't think we need him. The best teams usually roll with a tandem, and don't pay big money to one guy to be a "bellcow".
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 08:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Agreed. Not to focus on Mixon, but with a great line, I don't think we need him. The best teams usually roll with a tandem, and don't pay big money to one guy to be a "bellcow".

Yep. Dating back over a decade the team that wins the SBs leading back made under 2 million dollars.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 08:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Agreed. Not to focus on Mixon, but with a great line, I don't think we need him. The best teams usually roll with a tandem, and don't pay big money to one guy to be a "bellcow".

Right

The strength of this team, the focus, the core of the core is Joe Burrow and the passing game. Build around the focal point - Joe Burrow.

I'm not saying ignore the defense and we don't need a running game. But a bellcow RB is not what's going to put up 25+ points a game. We can get by with a decent RB at half of Mixon's pay if we have a good Oline that can open up some holes and pass protect. And then transfer that money to a top drawer RG, C, or RT.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If the Bengals address the offensive line long term they will be regular participants in the Super Bowl. The rest of the team is solid for the most part. With better run blocking and pass protection we don’t lose to the Bears, Jets, or Browns during the regular season.
Reply/Quote
We will be a team that competes for multiple titles. So yes we will be back.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

For sure, Duke can find talented RBs in rounds 2-4 on the cheap dollar that will allow us to pay Burrow, Tee, and Chase.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 08:34 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. Dating back over a decade the team that wins the SBs leading back made under 2 million dollars.

Mixon is one of my favorite players on this team, but in the long haul that's one way to help us afford the huge contracts guys like Burrow, Chase, Hendrickson etc are going to command. Draft your RBs and let them walk after their rookie deals.

Our run game wasn't dominant in the playoffs anyway, and we don't need it to be. Just be good enough.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 10:10 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Mixon is one of my favorite players on this team, but in the long haul that's one way to help us afford the huge contracts guys like Burrow, Chase, Hendrickson etc are going to command. Draft your RBs and let them walk after their rookie deals.

Our run game wasn't dominant in the playoffs anyway, and we don't need it to be. Just be good enough.

Agreed, wasn't Zac going like 70% pass play as the season progressed? We can be a passing team with a good run game if we upgrade the OL. Once Mixon's deal is up, it's time to be smart about not overpaying RBs.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 10:10 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Mixon is one of my favorite players on this team, but in the long haul that's one way to help us afford the huge contracts guys like Burrow, Chase, Hendrickson etc are going to command. Draft your RBs and let them walk after their rookie deals.

Well our passing game was not dominate in the playoffs either .
Reply/Quote
Need to improve a lot again next season, had a bit of stuff go our way this year. So damn hard to get into I’d say probably not.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 05:52 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Hard to compare this team to any in NFL history. They were in the midst of a full blown rebuild and IMO made it to the SB ahead of schedule. Team is loaded with extremely young talent.

Are there any truly similar examples? I don't think there is.

I do think this team will be back. Yes losing can be crushing, but I think this group "gets it", and I think they realize just how special last year was even with the loss. This and just the overall talent level of this team will have them competing for another one for several years at least.

Without Brady in the AFC things are wide open, and who better than Burrow to take Brady's place? Fix the line and let's go.

(02-19-2022, 07:54 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes I believe it really is just that simple. The Bengals fan skeptic in me can't help but be afraid they'll try to cut corners and hit it with a lick and a promise though, sorry.

But I do think if they'll actually, finally get Joe a "real" Oline this team will be a true contender for years to come.

They sunk big money (by Bengal standards) into the D. Will they now address the giant elephant in the room ? I'm not opposed to whatever it takes. Trade Joe Mixon, Tyler Boyd ? Cut Waynes and whomever else ? Do whatever it takes to get a real Oline.

They've just got to protect Joe.

Spot on both of you. Feel the exact same in all of your thoughts. Mellow

Weird. Mellow
Reply/Quote
I doubt Boyd or Mixon are going away this season. They both are considered part of the team fabric. it would be one thing if they had ready replacements, but there's no sure fire slot guy to replace Boyd and Mixon ain't no slouch either.. I'm not opposed to trading guys, even popular players, but I just don't see them moving on from these two this season.. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. Both are known commodities.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 01:59 AM)grampahol Wrote: I doubt Boyd or Mixon are going away this season. They both are considered part of the team fabric. it would be one thing if they had ready replacements, but there's no sure fire slot guy to replace Boyd and Mixon ain't no slouch either.. I'm not opposed to trading guys, even popular players, but I just don't see them moving on from these two this season.. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. Both are known commodities.. 

Love both players, just have to fix the OL no matter what it costs. Both are a little expensive for what they do and a great OL 
will make everything look great especially Burrow. Chase is great in the Slot, we can add another WR no problem for cheaper
than Boyd even if I love the guy, Mixon could get worn out soon with how much we have been using him. RB's get worn out 
faster than any other position.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 02:07 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Love both players, just have to fix the OL no matter what it costs. Both are a little expensive for what they do and a great OL 
will make everything look great especially Burrow. Chase is great in the Slot, we can add another WR no problem for cheaper
than Boyd even if I love the guy, Mixon could get worn out soon with how much we have been using him. RB's get worn out 
faster than any other position.
Perhaps so, but both spots would need to be replaced and a miss on either one could set everything back.. Yeah, Mixon has taken a beating and both don't come cheap, but we're not talking long term contracts to keep either one since both are already under contract now.. It ain't like this team is desperate for cap space right now.. It's a gamble that could go either way and badly if they miss on their replacements.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Melvin Gordon would be a little older but much better short yardage and pass protector and probably cheaper. than Mixon
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 02:22 AM)grampahol Wrote: Perhaps so, but both spots would need to be replaced and a miss on either one could set everything back.. Yeah, Mixon has taken a beating and both don't come cheap, but we're not talking long term contracts to keep either one since both are already under contract now.. It ain't like this team is desperate for cap space right now.. It's a gamble that could go either way and badly if they miss on their replacements.. 

I agree, just saying if it is in the cards and if it would help get our OL shored up I am down with about anything.

We fix the OL and we can make even an average RB look great. Plus Chase is best in the Slot where Boyd plays specifically.

Any way we can fix the OL is all I am saying.

Might not have to do this either. We have Cap space. Bring in James Daniels, Armstead and Tomlinson. BOOM.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 03:10 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Melvin Gordon would be a little older but much better short yardage and pass protector and probably cheaper. than Mixon

There are probably a dozen backs on the PFF Top 200 free agents list that would cost considerably less.

Marlon Mack is projected to take 1 year $1.5 million contract.
Reply/Quote
https://twitter.com/NFLonCBS/status/1493946507946606594/photo/1
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 04:57 PM)CincyDog Wrote: https://twitter.com/NFLonCBS/status/1493946507946606594/photo/1

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply/Quote