Poll: Will Joe Burrow lead the Bengals back to the Superbowl soon?
This poll is closed.
Absolutely
76.92%
60 76.92%
Negative, Ghost Rider
23.08%
18 23.08%
Total 78 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Will Bengals be back in Superbowl soon?
(02-15-2022, 02:24 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: The stat people were looking at is first time to the super bowl and lost, how often they end up winning one.

Put it this way, the odds are low, but not as low as the odds were for the bengals to win the super bowl this season and they almost did. If somebody else has done it before, burrow has a chance, he’s doing things people haven’t done before. History does not account for that.

I posted this earlier looking at QBs who lost their first Super Bowl before winning one. It's a short list of names.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-QBs-who-lost-their-first-Super-Bowl-before-winning-it
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 02:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True dat! Imagine this team with a top 5 O-line for once...

And the thing of it is, unlike in years past, free agents are A LOT more likely to sign up for Bengals now.

Go get them !
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 02:45 PM)Joelist Wrote: I think it is partly a function of how long someone has been a Bengals fan how optimistic they are of a quick return. The long timers who remember the way the franchise usually operates tend towards pessimism while the very recent fans tend to think otherwise.

To a degree, yes.  But I'm not a recent fan and I have more hope today than I had a year ago.  I just think this team is different.  Honestly, the notion that this team basically just tripped and fell into the SB because things rolled their way all season is insulting to the team.  Yes, some things did roll their way, and they have to for any team that takes home the final trophy, but I don't see that as the reason for their success.  

The big questions come down to how they handle this offseason.  Do they keep making improvements and show their commitment as a franchise?  If they do, I think the rest will fall into place.  What I've seen from the org the past few years indicates things are moving in a different direction than they did the 30 years prior which is why I have more hope now. 
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 02:51 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: And the thing of it is, unlike in years past, free agents are A LOT more likely to sign up for Bengals now.

Go get them !

For sure we will be a top destination for the top O-lineman with Burrow. You just know they will want to block for this guy.

No excuses, we won't have the excuse of players not wanting to play here anymore after this season.

This is why I was okay if we lost the way we did. So obvious what needs to be done now and we have the dough and the 
bait in Burrow to bring in exactly what we need.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 02:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: For sure we will be a top destination for the top O-lineman with Burrow. You just know they will want to block for this guy.

No excuses, we won't have the excuse of players not wanting to play here anymore after this season.

This is why I was okay if we lost the way we did. So obvious what needs to be done now and we have the dough and the 
bait in Burrow to bring in exactly what we need.

I also hope they want to block for him at a discounted price.  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 03:02 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I also hope they want to block for him at a discounted price.  ThumbsUp

Eh, we got dough, pay'em good. Not my money lol

We might get them for a bit of a discount though with Burrow even. He will tip scales in our direction.
Reply/Quote
The thing is... you need SO MANY critical things to go perfectly.... and many of those are out of Joe Burrow's control.
He can't control if a WR drops a pass, or a RB fumbles at a critical point in the game.
He can't control if the Defense lays an egg, or a kicker misses a crucial kick.
He can't control if a O Lineman misses a block, allowing the opposing team to make a crucial sack.

So, although I'm HOPEFUL that the Bengals make it back soon... I voted NO.
Reply/Quote
So tough to say. There's so much talk about the Bengals attracting free agents.. but I think it's harder than that. If you're a player - you have a plethora of good options in the AFC.

Chiefs? No cap, but if you could SOMEHOW play with Mahomes, you probably take it.

Chargers? Herbert is arguably more exciting that Burrow, and has shown he can go toe to toe with the best of them. Defensive talent is what is needed.. and you're in LA, which I'm sure lots of athletes will love.

Bills? Josh Allen is a freak, and the team is becoming a blue-chip. Need better weapons to go with Allen.

The one we probably don't want to admit - Lamar. I saw some replies to my comment, but Baltimore would've been much tougher if the injury bug hadn't hit them that hard. Players seem to love Lamar.

I'm sure there's others.. Broncos, etc. The biggest thing to me is the cap space, and the fact that most of those teams I listed have a good OL, so the talent will hopefully want to come here. But to go back is going to be so hard. Not impossible, but the way this year went it was the PERFECT setup. We honestly should've put it away after that second interception by Stafford.

Just saying that we can make it back, but the road to make it back is so much more difficult in this current time with the talented QBs that are all over the AFC. Heck, Pittsburgh becomes a contender again if they snag one of the FA QBs they are rumored to be targeting.

However, I don't doubt we are back in the playoffs next year. I've never seen a Bengals team that healthy though, wow what a stretch. So close.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 03:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eh, we got dough, pay'em good. Not my money lol

We might get them for a bit of a discount though with Burrow even. He will tip scales in our direction.

I'm with you, I don't care how much billionaire owners spend as it isn't my money but the NFL has cap rules to follow so I was thinking about a discount in order to keep many areas of the team strong.
Reply/Quote
I think a question given some of the optimism is is it Super Bowl or bust. I personally don't believe it is easy to get there so I won't say that. But for those who think we will?

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 03:32 PM)jj22 Wrote: I think a question given some of the optimism is is it Super Bowl or bust. I personally don't believe it is easy to get there so I won't say that. But for those who think we will?

We could upgrade our roster and not make the SB over the next 5 years. You never know. Then again...we might make it 2 more times.

Enjoy the ride!
Reply/Quote
I'm 100% convinced they'll be back next year unless proven otherwise in which case my convinced level goes down exponentially.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 02:24 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: The stat people were looking at is first time to the super bowl and lost, how often they end up winning one.

Put it this way, the odds are low, but not as low as the odds were for the bengals to win the super bowl this season and they almost did. If somebody else has done it before, burrow has a chance, he’s doing things people haven’t done before. History does not account for that.

I agree. Burrow is the man, and hopefully that “it” factor he seems to have helps him speed up the mental hurdle this loss has on a team. Matt ryan, for example, disappeared after he lost the SB. But he doesn’t have an ounce of swagger.
Reply/Quote
Anythings possible....but not likely, certainly not next year, we flew under the radar all these years and no one took us serious, thats going to change in the years to come
Reply/Quote
I think we'll have new wrinkles. We basically had ZERO no huddle all year, Burrow is way smarter than that. Zac will have to let go a bit. Basically every ball bounced our way this year, the Defense made every big play when needed until the very end (the refs helped of course).

Burrow will be back but I don't know when. The same motivational lines may not work on the rest of the team...
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2022, 03:19 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'm with you, I don't care how much billionaire owners spend as it isn't my money but the NFL has cap rules to follow so I was thinking about a discount in order to keep many areas of the team strong.

We have the Cap to do so. Just get the best OL we can in Free Agency and bring back our own players that keep us strong.

Honestly this is the least complex Offseason I can remember. Usually we are talking about multiple positions on both sides of the 
ball that need improvement.

Not this year, it is bring back our own good players and fortify the O-line with top tier proven veterans and they are available and I 
know they will want to block for Joe Burrow who is by most players opinions is the best young QB in the league. Herbert is good but
he doesn't have the IT factor Burrow has.

(02-15-2022, 03:55 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: I agree.  Burrow is the man, and hopefully that “it” factor he seems to have helps him speed up the mental hurdle this loss has on a team.  Matt ryan, for example, disappeared after he lost the SB. But he doesn’t have an ounce of swagger.

Truth, Burrow is nothing like Matt Ryan. Matty Ice my ass. Mellow
Reply/Quote
The Cincinnati Bengals are becoming the New England Patriots 2.0. Believe it or not, there are many parallels between what Bill Belichick built in Boston and what is being currently constructed on the Ohio River.

Please note I am NOT comparing Zac Taylor to Bill Belichick.

As Shake n Blake brilliantly observed in another thread, the Bengals are ahead of schedule. The goal this past year was a winning record at worst and a playoff berth at best; almost winning the Super Bowl with a shitshow of an offensive line against a stacked and loaded team wasn’t on the radar screen.

Even so, here we are.

Like New England the Bengals have a generational talent at quarterback. If Duke Tobin plays free agency right the offensive line will protect Joe Burrow like the Patriots protected Tom Brady. Brady was a great passer but he had forever to throw; the Patriots always had solid offensive lines and still do.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 04:38 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The Cincinnati Bengals are becoming the New England Patriots 2.0. Believe it or not, there are many parallels between what Bill Belichick built in Boston and what is being currently constructed on the Ohio River.

Please note I am NOT comparing Zac Taylor to Bill Belichick.

As Shake n Blake brilliantly observed in another thread, the Bengals are ahead of schedule.  The goal this past year was a winning record at worst and a playoff berth at best; almost winning the Super Bowl with a shitshow of an offensive line against a stacked and loaded team wasn’t on the radar screen.  

Even so, here we are.

Like New England the Bengals have a generational talent at quarterback.  If Duke Tobin plays free agency right the offensive line will protect Joe Burrow like the Patriots protected Tom Brady.  Brady was a great passer but he had forever to throw; the Patriots always had solid offensive lines and still do.

I know it is out there, but I see the same thing. Great times ahead. We are only going to get better as long as we take 
care of Joe Burrow and keep our foundation strong. We give Burrow time and open up holes for Mixon and look out.

I love our Defense.
Reply/Quote
Hard to compare this team to any in NFL history. They were in the midst of a full blown rebuild and IMO made it to the SB ahead of schedule. Team is loaded with extremely young talent.

Are there any truly similar examples? I don't think there is.

I do think this team will be back. Yes losing can be crushing, but I think this group "gets it", and I think they realize just how special last year was even with the loss. This and just the overall talent level of this team will have them competing for another one for several years at least.

Without Brady in the AFC things are wide open, and who better than Burrow to take Brady's place? Fix the line and let's go.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 05:52 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Hard to compare this team to any in NFL history. They were in the midst of a full blown rebuild and IMO made it to the SB ahead of schedule. Team is loaded with extremely young talent.

Are there any truly similar examples? I don't think there is.

I do think this team will be back. Yes losing can be crushing, but I think this group "gets it", and I think they realize just how special last year was even with the loss. This and just the overall talent level of this team will have them competing for another one for several years at least.

Without Brady in the AFC things are wide open, and who better than Burrow to take Brady's place? Fix the line and let's go.

Yes I believe it really is just that simple. The Bengals fan skeptic in me can't help but be afraid they'll try to cut corners and hit it with a lick and a promise though, sorry.

But I do think if they'll actually, finally get Joe a "real" Oline this team will be a true contender for years to come.

They sunk big money (by Bengal standards) into the D. Will they now address the giant elephant in the room ? I'm not opposed to whatever it takes. Trade Joe Mixon, Tyler Boyd ? Cut Waynes and whomever else ? Do whatever it takes to get a real Oline.

They've just got to protect Joe.
Reply/Quote