Poll: Will Burfict ever be the same again?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Burfict ever be the same again?
It's all pure speculation at this point, but I'm wondering what others think. Burfict was playing pretty stupid when he got hurt, leading with his head and twisting knees. So it would seem he has two hurdles to clear in order to get back to where he was, he needs to heal and his head screwed on straight.

If I had to wager on it, I'd have to put my money on him not making it back. Of course he could, but I think it was a bad sign how he slipped back into bad habits so quickly after a taste of success. Perhaps seeing his career put in jeopardy will help to mature him. We shall see...
Reply/Quote
I would have to say that he'll never make it back to playing the way he did two years ago. Neither will Geno Atkins. Why? Because that's the Bengals luck.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Another glass is half full thread by Utts. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2015, 03:41 PM)Beaker Wrote: Another glass is half full thread by Utts.  ThumbsUp

I don't think there was anything negative about my post, I think my points are quite rational. If you're looking for a cheerleader, call PBS.
Reply/Quote
I can't explain the feeling that last year he did all he could to be injured.

I hope this year, he will be fine.
Reply/Quote
Its a 50 50 chance he recovers. I would bet he would recover but he probably won't have as long as a career we would have like him to have.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
I voted no. I just think with his concussion history and the way he had been playing, I don't think even when he is back that we will have him for long, unless there are some big changes.

I hope I'm wrong because we really need him and need him to be on top of his game.
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2015, 03:52 PM)Utts Wrote: I don't think there was anything negative about my post, I think my points are quite rational. If you're looking for a cheerleader, call PBS.

(07-19-2015, 03:17 PM)Utts Wrote: If I had to wager on it, I'd have to put my money on him not making it back.

I don't see anything pessimistic about it either.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2015, 04:40 PM)Beaker Wrote: I don't see anything pessimistic about it either.

Pessimistic? More like realistic. He was out of control, and has a history of idiotic behavior. Questioning the likelihood of him returning to form seems quite rational to me. Add to that the concussions and serious knee injury, and it's not an encouraging narrative.
Reply/Quote
Well, he beat the odds once. I wouldn't bet against him. The odds are probably against him and that's when he does his best work. I vote yes.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I have no reason to believe he won't be.

He was himself in the early weeks, prior to his injuries.

Most injuries heal. I have no doubt he'll be fine.
Reply/Quote
I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt, seeing how I just read an update that he has been at PBS working out.

Do I also think that the Bengals should be looking for a serious LB when the cap casualty cuts come around, later next month?  Heck yes.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
His health? Maybe.

But I hope he's not the same Burfict when/if he gets back out there.

He can't go back on the field throwing his head around like a missle, if he didn't adjust his tackling while he was rehabbing, I doubt he'll play the entire season.
Reply/Quote
Well, Utts, I never realized that if you want a cheerleader, all you have to do is call PBS. I'm down with that.

But on the main subject, I'm really worried about Burfict. And even if the knee comes back to a reasonable level, I still think there may be a question on the concussion front. If he gets back to playing and starting, we still have to see him quit leading with his head down. And if he comes back and suffers another concussion anytime soon, it may be over.

I don't want that, because he's one helluva player. I just have some real concerns about it. I'm pulling for him all the way.
Reply/Quote
I'm going to say yes he can be. But I hope he comes back and plays much smarter but retrains the fire/passion.
Reply/Quote
I voted yes. If anyone will get through it, Burfict will. I have confidence he will. It won't be immediate, but he will.... patience.
Reply/Quote
I can only think of one player to ever somewhat regain their pre micro fracture surgery form...  Amare Stoudemire, and even he wasn't as explosive as he was before the surgery.  I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think Burfict will ever be what he was.  I'm not even sure he plays this year.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Call me a big ol' jerk but when you have a chance to light up the opposing QB and YOU are the one who leaves with an injury you have made my dreaded "bitter scoff" list. I'm not saying I wanted him to injure Andrew Luck but I can't imagine (insert Steelers LB here) hitting Palmer or Dalton in the hand/wrist and him being the one spending the season on the mend. Meh. I really wish Kimo would have been the one injured in that 2005 game.
Reply/Quote
(07-19-2015, 09:23 PM)jason Wrote: I can only think of one player to ever somewhat regain their pre micro fracture surgery form...  Amare Stoudemire, and even he wasn't as explosive as he was before the surgery.  I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think Burfict will ever be what he was.  I'm not even sure he plays this year.

I believe Rod Woodson had microfracture surgery and played many seasons henceforth.  I think Reggie Bush had it a few years ago, and Travis Kelce missed his rookie year due to the surgery, coming back pretty strong last season.  
Reply/Quote
The success rate:

Microfracture does not work for everyone. In degenerative knees it has been found to have about a 75% success rate. Twenty two percent of the patients remain unchanged and about three percent are made worse. Even a partially successful procedure can greatly enhance function and delay or eliminate the need for more aggressive surgery such as total joint replacement or cartilage transplantation.

Risks:

Three percent of patients may be made worse. Rarely a patient may become stiff and require a further procedure to restore motion. Infection is rare but may occur in about one in every few hundred procedures. Other very rare complications may also occur.

source: http://www.ismoc.net/knee/microfracture.html
Reply/Quote