Poll: Will Hue Be Our Next Head Coach And Do You Want That?
Yes He Will And Yes I Want That
Yes He Will But No I don't Want That
No He Will Not But I Want Him To Be
No He Will Not, Which Is Good
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Hue Jackson Be Coaching The Bengals In 2018?
I'd honestly take Guenther or Urban.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Hope not.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
No he will not which is good lol

I like Guenther, Urban or Simmons better honestly.

But would love an out of house HC the most that could get rid of Paul frickin' Piano Man Alexander. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2017, 04:17 PM)Beaker Wrote: 1. After hue was given a second chance by ML, it was a slap in the face for him to take a HC job in the same division. He took the job in cleveland before scheduled interviews in NY and SF. I personally was glad to see him go. 

2. I thought his play calling was suspect at best. Too many times I think he got too cute trying to out trick the other team. His first season as OC, how many times did he throw the tackle eligible to Fisher when the Bengals were in the red zone? By my count at least 6 times....when you have guys like Green and Eifert available. And to me, the play that last the playoff game to the steelers was the 2 point conversion after the go ahead TD. The previous drive, we had lined up in the jumbo package and Jeremy Hill had walked into the endzone. The steelers could not match up to stop that play on short yardage...even when they knew it was coming. Yet hue decided to call a throw to the side to Hill...playing into the steeler D's strength (LB speed). They easily stop the attempt. If they had lined up in the jumbo package and punched it in like they should have, the steeler FG at the end would have been for OT, not for the win. Shades of Pete carroll not using Marsawn Lynch from the 1.

3. Finally, he has done nothing to impress so far in cleveland. They were lucky to get 1 win last year. So him going there was  good thing, but still a slap in the face to ML IMO.

I simply don't understand the high pedestal some people put hue on. I think he is a clown and am glad he is gone.

1. Hue was going to be given another coaching chance. We all know that. He was productive in Oakland and we saw what happened to them once he left. The Raiders won 11 games in the next 3 years once he left.

2. 5 times he did. And Fisher caught a pass for 31 yards. And yes, that 2 point play was terrible. No denying that. However, there's no "oh we definitely make it in". That doesn't happen in the NFL. And it's nothing like the Marshawn Lynch situation lol. With Lynch, you get more than one opportunity. 2 pointer you don't.

3. That's completely fine. He deserves criticism for only winning 1 game. But how is it a slap in the face to take a better job opportunity that gives you full say in whatever you do? He became his own boss rather than being underneath and HOPING he is given more chances.

But he's done PLENTY with the other opportunities he has had.

You're obviously wrong with him "being a clown" lol. He's done A LOT.

With the Redskins as their RB coach, RB Stephen Davis rushed for 1,432 yards, breaking the record he had set in 1999 for most rushing yards in a season by a Redskin.
With the Bengals as their WR coach, Johnson (1,369 yards) and Houshmandzadeh (1,081 yards) became the first pair of Bengals to eclipse the 1,000–yard receiving mark in a single season. And we know how prolific the Bengals passing attack was from 2004-2006.
With the Ravens as their QB coach, he took on Joe Flacco his rookie year, who became the first rookie QB to win two playoff games in NFL history as the Ravens advanced to the AFC Championship game.
With the Raiders as their offensive coordinator, they more than doubled their scoring output from the previous year. Darren McFadden had a breakout year and the Raiders finished 6th in scoring and 10th in offense.
As the Raiders HC, he got them to a 7-4 record before their starting QB had an ACL tear, resulting in the Raiders trading for Carson Palmer. The team finished 8-8 though, and he was fired.
As the Bengals RB coach, the duo between Giovani bernard and Benjarvus Green-Ellis had 1987 all purpose yards and 15 TDs.
As the Bengals OC, they had the 6th best rushing attack in 2014. In 2015, the Bengals had one of the best offenses in the NFL, Andy Dalton was in the conversation of MVP, and he won Assistant Coach of the Year.

But no. You're right. He's a clown who's accomplished nothing.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2017, 11:16 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: But no. You're right. He's a clown who's accomplished nothing.

Im glad you see it my way. Eff hue.
Reply/Quote
Hue will stay in Cleveland. I would like a young coach. Nick Saban type. Someone who knows how to recruit talent and develop it.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2017, 12:37 PM)Beaker Wrote: Im glad you see it my way. Eff hue.

I'm glad you can't take being wrong.

Reply/Quote
(07-09-2017, 02:18 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Hue will stay in Cleveland. I would like a young coach. Nick Saban type. Someone who knows how to recruit talent and develop it.

I don't see Saban leaving Bama again, and especially not to come to Cincinnati.

I'd rather have a proven NFL guy, but your point about recruiting and developing talent brings up a good point because it's something he would have to do as head coach here.

I also feel like bringing the enthusiasm and team morale that he has at Bama would do a lot just in getting players jacked-up to play.

I'm torn on the Saban idea.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2017, 04:29 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I don't see Saban leaving Bama again, and especially not to come to Cincinnati.

I'd rather have a proven NFL guy, but your point about recruiting and developing talent brings up a good point because it's something he would have to do as head coach here.

I also feel like bringing the enthusiasm and team morale that he has at Bama would do a lot just in getting players jacked-up to play.

I'm torn on the Saban idea.

If Marvin goes, there's quite a few guys I'd like to give a chance to.

Todd Haley for one. And I know people shudder at that idea.

Reply/Quote
(07-07-2017, 04:42 PM)Sabretooth Wrote: IMO Gruden took Tony Dungys' tampa team to a Superbowl win.The bucs got way worse when grudens' picks were drafted and he was canned later on.

....actually, they both took over Sam Wyche's team.  He was the one that drafted Sapp, Lynch, and Brooks.  The cornerstones of that phenomenal defense.  He was on to something down there, just ran out of time.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Why the hell would Urban Meyer come and coach the Bengals?
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2017, 12:24 PM)sandwedge Wrote: What's wrong with Guenther? I seem to think he would be an excellent candidate for the next HC job. He designed Zimmer's blitz packages, he was out spoken on Marvin's reluctance to play younger guys last season until Marvin hushed him. The days of hard nosed, grab you by the face mask coaches are gone. NFL players don't fear coaches like High School or college, they get paid to play no matter what and wherever their services are wanted. If anything a coach on their ass all the time would just turn them off..

I'm a Guenther fan as well.   He's a smart dude and a level head.  I feel that he has been held back somewhat by the status quo here.   He'd be a good fit with Urban as his OC.  The problem would be finding a good replacement at DC.   I'd be very afraid that Haslett would take that spot which would be a problem.

I don't think it's going to happen.  I think we'll go 9-7, keep Lewis (who I like by the way) and lose both Guenther and Urban in the offseason.

Hope I'm wrong
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2017, 11:16 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: 1. Hue was going to be given another coaching chance. We all know that. He was productive in Oakland and we saw what happened to them once he left. The Raiders won 11 games in the next 3 years once he left.

2. 5 times he did. And Fisher caught a pass for 31 yards. And yes, that 2 point play was terrible. No denying that. However, there's no "oh we definitely make it in". That doesn't happen in the NFL. And it's nothing like the Marshawn Lynch situation lol. With Lynch, you get more than one opportunity. 2 pointer you don't.

3. That's completely fine. He deserves criticism for only winning 1 game. But how is it a slap in the face to take a better job opportunity that gives you full say in whatever you do? He became his own boss rather than being underneath and HOPING he is given more chances.

But he's done PLENTY with the other opportunities he has had.

You're obviously wrong with him "being a clown" lol. He's done A LOT.

With the Redskins as their RB coach, RB Stephen Davis rushed for 1,432 yards, breaking the record he had set in 1999 for most rushing yards in a season by a Redskin.
With the Bengals as their WR coach, Johnson (1,369 yards) and Houshmandzadeh (1,081 yards) became the first pair of Bengals to eclipse the 1,000–yard receiving mark in a single season. And we know how prolific the Bengals passing attack was from 2004-2006.
With the Ravens as their QB coach, he took on Joe Flacco his rookie year, who became the first rookie QB to win two playoff games in NFL history as the Ravens advanced to the AFC Championship game.
With the Raiders as their offensive coordinator, they more than doubled their scoring output from the previous year. Darren McFadden had a breakout year and the Raiders finished 6th in scoring and 10th in offense.
As the Raiders HC, he got them to a 7-4 record before their starting QB had an ACL tear, resulting in the Raiders trading for Carson Palmer. The team finished 8-8 though, and he was fired.
As the Bengals RB coach, the duo between Giovani bernard and Benjarvus Green-Ellis had 1987 all purpose yards and 15 TDs.
As the Bengals OC, they had the 6th best rushing attack in 2014. In 2015, the Bengals had one of the best offenses in the NFL, Andy Dalton was in the conversation of MVP, and he won Assistant Coach of the Year.

But no. You're right. He's a clown who's accomplished nothing.

Good stuff, Wolf..

I will add that being fired by the Browns is a feather in the cap of Bill Bellichek, and our very own Paul Brown. 

The Raiders became very threatened when Hue was trying to leverage his success in to some GM-type responsibilities and rather than let him see what he can do, they set their franchise back another five years.  

From way back, when he first came back here after his stint in Atlanta, I have always thought that he was destined to be our coach and would lead them to a Super Bowl.  I don't see it happening now, as I stated my previous thoughts as to how he will be successful in Cleveland and will be given adequate time to prove himself.  
Reply/Quote
I don't know how successful Hue will be in Cleveland or how long he will be there, but you can't blame the guy for taking a HC job there over a coordinator position here. He might actually think a guaranteed HC position with an organization that stinks but hasn't been doing the same thing for 25 years with no success might be the better option.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2017, 07:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't know how successful Hue will be in Cleveland or how long he will be there, but you can't blame the guy for taking a HC job there over a coordinator position here. He might actually think a guaranteed HC position with an organization that stinks but hasn't been doing the same thing for 25 years with no success might be the better option.

I always wondered why a guy would leave a coordinator position on a good team to go coach for a team like the Browns when they're shitty, and I always said how maybe they want to build something, but I realized that it all comes down to money in the end.

Some coordinators might stay for job security, but, for most, if you can make even a million more a year for a few years, that's a lot of money. Marvin approached Hue with his succession plan (reportedly), but the millions were guaranteed right then in Cleveland.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2017, 10:32 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I always wondered why a guy would leave a coordinator position on a good team to go coach for a team like the Browns when they're shitty, and I always said how maybe they want to build something, but I realized that it all comes down to money in the end.

Some coordinators might stay for job security, but, for most, if you can make even a million more a year for a few years, that's a lot of money. Marvin approached Hue with his succession plan (reportedly), but the millions were guaranteed right then in Cleveland.

I dont think its solely money. I think some people just really want to be in a leadership role and want the opportunity to be head coach...even if it is a crappy organization. There is always opportunity to turn the organization around and maybe Hue wanted the challenge. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Hue Jackson will never have to worry about job security no matter how bad or good his team does in the standings. He's paid millions of dollars and will never have to give a penny of it back. While it may be true that he might get fired, SO WHAT? He'll have millions of dollars already squirreled away in his bank account. 
Ask yourself if you suddenly became a multi millionaire overnight would you worry about job security ever again? Job security only counts if it's just enough to pay the bills and give you a few luxuries in life and if you're suddenly fired you might end up homeless. 
When its millions and enough that you'll never really ever have to work again if you don't want to its no longer job security, it's called being RICH.. 
THE ONLY THING these guys do that's smarter than the rest of us is they figured out how to get rich telling other rich guys how to play the game. 
Carson Palmer was able to quit his rich guy job and had no other team been willing to hire him again does anyone realistically think job security was ever an issue in his mind? Hell no. He was set for life the day he signed his first NFL contract, but he likes playing football and getting paid even more.. 
We're all just victims of the old switcheroo scam of getting to watch blood sport in exchange for letting these guys be rich while none of us are ever going to get paid to sit and complain about who is or isn't the coach or whatever....
I'm personally ok with that as long as they don't start dragging us out of our beds at night over what we say about how they go about running things.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-13-2017, 10:32 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I always wondered why a guy would leave a coordinator position on a good team to go coach for a team like the Browns when they're shitty, and I always said how maybe they want to build something, but I realized that it all comes down to money in the end.

Lordy loo, just how awful do Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis have to be at their jobs before Bengals fans stop being bewildered why anyone would want to be somewhere other than Cincinnati?  I'll admit that Hue Jackson may very well be an insane person and there is evidence to support that...however, the guy would rather bet on himself as a HC with an organization that will invest in him (perhaps?) versus playing the status quo game as the 4th banana in an organization that seems stale.

It's like asking why a guy who makes $35k a year clocking in for someone else's business would risk that stability and start a business of his own.  You bet on yourself.  You win some, you lose some.  Some guys just don't have the ability to sit on a bench and be happy.
Reply/Quote
Why would someone qualified want to coach the Browns instead of staying an OC on a successful team? Supposedly there was a move to make Hue the HC in a couple seasons here...but nothing ever got put in writing.

1 ) Money
2 ) There are what 32 HC jobs in the NFL? If you get offered one, you pretty much take it if you want to be a HC>
3 ) The Browns have resources - high draft picks, salary cap space. While they are terrible every year, I could see a good football mind thinking he could go there and sort the mess out. Of course, many a coach has failed to do that.

That franchise will eventually turn it around.
4) We're Bengal fans. We see coaching the Bengals as a great opportunity. Hue would still have to work for Mike Brown who controls a franchise more than other owners. The Bengals are frugal in free agency, etc. While we have made the playoff 5 out of the past 6 years...our core is ageing. By the time Hue actually got to take over for Marvin, the roster might have been degraded through attrition.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2017, 06:09 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Lordy loo, just how awful do Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis have to be at their jobs before Bengals fans stop being bewildered why anyone would want to be somewhere other than Cincinnati?  I'll admit that Hue Jackson may very well be an insane person and there is evidence to support that...however, the guy would rather bet on himself as a HC with an organization that will invest in him (perhaps?) versus playing the status quo game as the 4th banana in an organization that seems stale.

It's like asking why a guy who makes $35k a year clocking in for someone else's business would risk that stability and start a business of his own.  You bet on yourself.  You win some, you lose some.  Some guys just don't have the ability to sit on a bench and be happy.

Yeah - In your $35k salary example...you never get rich punching the clock for someone else. If you be the boss, you have that chance...

Plus working for yourself gives you power. Power to do things your way. A head coach is only going to have so much of that here with the Bengals Management.

That said, the Browns are a horribly managed franchise. Just absolutely horrible. Had he went to any other team than the Browns, this is easier to understand.
Reply/Quote