Poll: Will Hue Be Our Next Head Coach And Do You Want That?
Yes He Will And Yes I Want That
Yes He Will But No I don't Want That
No He Will Not But I Want Him To Be
No He Will Not, Which Is Good
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Hue Jackson Be Coaching The Bengals In 2018?
(07-07-2017, 11:21 AM)grampahol Wrote: The Browns are just waiting for the next great QB out of college to go to Cleveland and become the next Playing for Pizza guy.. 
I don't think Hue is giving up on his gig there and short of a total blow out season again of 1-15 he's got the pieces now to have a much better team than before. They still need the QB,  but I think they can get by with a caretaker till next year. 
If everything turns to crap and he's fired and all those great draft picks flounder and win exactly zero why on earth would any team much less the Bengals want him as a HC?
This is sink or swim time for Hue. Put up or shut up. 
You don't get three bites at the apple if you can't turn around a 1-15 team with the cream of the draft 2 years in a row. 
For all of Marvins faults he did NOT take a 1-15 team and keep them as a 1-15 team.  The single biggest knock on Marvin is his playoff record,  not his regular season record.  Hue has to prove he can win in the regular season and short of that his chances of moving on from Cleveland as a HC are essentially nil.  

I actually agree with this. The only thing I'll add is that Marv had more pieces to work with initially (including a franchise QB). I definitely agree that this is probably it for Hue as a HC. Sink or swim time.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
This is a question that answers itself. If he does well this season, he won't be going anywhere. If he craps out, why would we want him anyway?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Paul Guenther is the future head coach of the Bengals.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2017, 03:38 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: If there's a chance to get him, then it's not a good idea. That would mean that there was little to no improvement after have THREE 1st round draft picks and he didn't improve the team much after signing guys like Zeitler and Kenny Britt. Therefore, he would have gotten fired and I don't knw how much trust I would put into a head coach who messed up after a 1-15 season and had three 1st round draft picks.

Honestly, and I hate to say this, but I think there's a MUCH higher chance of Zampese being our head coach than Hue.

Have to agree.  The only way Hue is available is if the Browns do poorly enough for him to get fired.  If we're getting rid of Marvin, it's because he couldn't get the team over the hump in the playoffs.  Why would you hire a HC that in this scenario would be headed to his third team and has never even had a winning season?  It makes zero sense.  The Bengals should go after a proven winner if they fall short this year.  Barring that, they should at least go after a top assistant.  The last move they should make is going after a twice failed former assistant. If they're that concerned about keeping the assistant coaching staff together, they should promote Jim Haslett, who has a better record, more experience, and has actually won a playoff game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2017, 10:54 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I personally don't want him.  He sounds like another "yes, ma'am," coach, whereas I want a proven winner.

Thoughts?

How many proven winners would want to come here and work for a proven loser like Mike Brown?
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2017, 09:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: How many proven winners would want to come here and work for a proven loser like Mike Brown?

None

And to answer the thread OP - no
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2017, 09:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: How many proven winners would want to come here and work for a proven loser like Mike Brown?

(07-07-2017, 10:35 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: None

And to answer the thread OP - no

Never know. Someone with a big enough ego might want to prove he can win here.

Reply/Quote
(07-07-2017, 10:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Never know. Someone with a big enough ego might want to prove he can win here.

It's been 25 years and the best we got by far is Marvin Lewis. Can I stop holding my breath yet?
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2017, 04:42 PM)Sabretooth Wrote: IMO Gruden took Tony Dungys' tampa team to a Superbowl win.The bucs got way worse when grudens' picks were drafted and he was canned later on.

(07-07-2017, 04:42 PM)Bronze Bengal Wrote: Gruden taking over would be a nightmare not a dream.  The longer he stayed in Tampa the worse they got.  His problem is he wants to coach and play GM, simultaneously.  There's a reason he got sacked, despite winning the only Superbowl in Buccaneers' history.  A Superbowl he won with Tony Dungy's team I must add.  If he wanted to coach only then he would be great but the HC and GM are a package deal.

So I stand corrected.  Jon Gruden sucked as a coach.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote

Never know.  

With this much young talent and proven vets, it might be an attractive job, even under Mike, especially since he's getting older and can't have the energy to do much.

Especially if Mixon comes as advertised and Ross can make some noise because think of how attractive it would be to coach a team with a proven vet QB like Dalton, top three receiver in the league in AJ, and then an explosive back like Mixon with a speedster like Ross.  That would be difficult for any coach to turn down, especially with guys like Geno and Burfict on D, plus some young corners.

Would be enticing to most coaches if you ask me.
Reply/Quote
I don't think Marvin or Hue go anywhere next season.
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2017, 11:09 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It's been 25 years and the best we got by far is Marvin Lewis. Can I stop holding my breath yet?

We haven't even been looking for more than half that time (Marvin was 2003 right?). Tom Coughlin was interested in coming here so I don't see why it's unthinkable other good coaches would want to. 

Reply/Quote
I think LaVar Ball should be our coach
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2017, 02:47 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We haven't even been looking for more than half that time (Marvin was 2003 right?). Tom Coughlin was interested in coming here so I don't see why it's unthinkable other good coaches would want to. 

I'm not saying it's impossible, but since Mike Brown was handed the keys to the kingdom he has shown an inability to get along with winners.  He and Sam Wyche couldn't stand each other, Dave Shula got the nod over Bill Cowher, and Tom Coughlin likely had too many not-so-nice things to say about Mike Brown's insistence on doing things a certain way.  Lordy, even after 2010 Marvin Lewis, a guy we think of being a spineless lap-dog, demanded changes publically before caving in and sticking around.

I'm not a huge winner myself, but if there is one thing I assume winners don't like it's being told that they are going to have to adhere to the agenda of a proven loser.  

It's one thing for us to sit here and wish and hope for a white knight HC to show up and decide that this is the franchise he will decide to lift to greatness, but isn't it sort of clear that even if a guy like that shows up Mike Brown will say "Thanks, but no thanks" and show him the door?
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2017, 09:20 AM)Wyche Wrote: I agree with this.  Don't look now, but they are assembling a pretty good roster, they just need a QB.  Also, for those saying we need a coach that has fire, commands authority, and players play hard for.......I saw a terrible Browns team play every single second of those 60 minutes every Sunday.  That team never laid down, and they had every reason to do so.

Dead on.  And Cody Kessler had three years of starting experience at USC, with >10,000 yards passing, 88TDs and 19 INTs.  I think Hue views him as his Andy Dalton.  He just needs a few weapons and protection.  He took major steps in addressing both of those this season.  I was surprised at the Kiser pick, but it is, again, good competition to get the most out of his QB.  

Where Hue is going to be smart is he won't rush the process by being tempted to bring in a few high-dollar FAs to fill holes.  I think he will continue to build through the draft and create a lot of competition at each position.  Although I was surprised they didn't sign Pryor, it will still work out for them in the end.  They won't be a contender this year, but their young roster will grow and develop together, much like the Ravens did when they were first created.  Drafted and developed.  
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2017, 11:36 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I think we need a fresh face here. Someone the players will actually fear yet respect and want to give everything they have. Then I come back to reality knowing that the next head coach will more than likely be Guenther! Shit balls Damnit.
Damn it, I agree! Cry
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2017, 12:46 AM)Benton Wrote: I don't think Marvin or Hue go anywhere next season.

Both will eek out better seasons than last year, so they will stay put. Sick
Reply/Quote
Nope, and I'm ok with it. It will be Guenther or perhaps Urban, they will promote from within.
Reply/Quote
(07-08-2017, 03:50 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Nope, and I'm ok with it. It will be Guenther or perhaps Urban, they will promote from within.

Most likely which sucks because it's tough to all the sudden demand respect when you've been a part in such an easy-going environment.
Reply/Quote
If he gets fired by Raiders and Browns, then what is so great about him ????

I'll add Bengals should take that garbage split Offensive Line junk out of the playbook. Hue put it in, but it never works. I've never seen the tackle out with the Wide Receiver work. This is the Pro's and NFL Defenses are all over that play....Plus we have an awful Offensive Line going into Preseason. They have enough to do coaching these hogs up in their blocking without spending time on these horse manure plays. Hue Jackson can keep them. We should stop them. These plays never work. In 3 years it has never worked even one play. It doesn't trick anybody. Take this Hue Garbage out of the playbook.

I would like to see Zampese be more like his dad coaching the San Diego Chargers AIR CORYELL OFFENSE....or like ZAMPESE himself in coaching the St Louis Rams to Super Bowl with THE GREATEST SHOW ON TURF. With all the Receivers we have, we should throw to them and the running back like Chargers James Brooks or Rams Marshall Faulk. In that way somebody is always open because you just can't cover everybody. Block and have the QB hit the open man like basketball, not football. Zampese won a Super Bowl with this offense and Marvin Lewis won a Super Bowl with his defense. Put the two together, yank out the Hue Jackson plays from playbook and burn them. He's not here to coach them anyway. You don't want him back because that means Browns as well as Raiders didn't want him, so why should we ?
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote