Poll: Will Ken Zampese Improve This Years Offense?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Ken Zampese Push This Offense Forward?
One of the biggest changes this offseason was the loss of Hue Jackson at OC to be replaced from within with long time QB coach Ken Zampese. After watching some preseason games and seeing the final roster shape up, do you think he will propel this years offense into a better one from last year? What is your prediction with a Zampese lead Bengal offense?
Reply/Quote
I do. I think his job is a little harder than what Hue had to deal with. Considering AJ is the only WR that took a snap for us last year. And the fact we are trying to break in a new RT.

Hue was handed a loaded offense and he made it go. If Zampese matches or beats Hue's offense I consider that a win.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2016, 03:43 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I do. I think his job is a little harder than what Hue had to deal with. Considering AJ is the only WR that took a snap for us last year. And the fact we are trying to break in a new RT.

Hue was handed a loaded offense and he made it go. If Zampese matches or beats Hue's offense I consider that a win.

I honestly have no idea if he will improve it or not.  I don't think the preseason really shows us a lot because teams stay very vanilla and try not to give anything away.  That said, what I saw of the first string offense did look good.  If he matches Hue's offense, I would consider that a huge win.  I would also be the first to admit my error because I was not a big fan of his promotion.
Reply/Quote
Yep, even though mostly vanilla liked what I saw in preseason and believe the Bengals will be much better at screen passes this season too.

Was worried at first, but not so much now.

This opinion is subject to change once things actually start counting.

Feeling good about it for now though.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I just don't know

I have not been a big fan of his in the past. And like others wasn't thrilled about the appointment.

I sure hope I'm wrong and he gets the right plays in with the right people, at the right time. That's the part of being the OC that the good ones do. Many people can draw up plays and are great at the X's and O's. It's having your finger on the pulse of the team and knowing when and how to do what and with whom in game that matters.

We shall soon see. Fingers crossed
Reply/Quote
I really am not sure. From what I've seen this preseason, it looks like he is going to more of a power run, grind it out, sort of game plan. I certainly hope that he will be aggressive and attacking early in games, in hopes of building a nice lead before attempting to power away the clock.

So, my official vote will have to wait a while, I voted no for the time being.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I figure Dalton has gotten two OCs head coaching jobs. And made the Bengals front office look like geniuses trading Carson and stealing Dalton in the second. The guy who has been his QB coach the whole time knows what Dalton likes and is good at.

Heck Zampese could call plays where you move Whit out wide left and run it up the middle. Or throw to a back-up OL multiple times on a team loaded with legit weapons. And Dalton could make him look good enough to still be appealing for a head coaching job.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2016, 04:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I really am not sure.  From what I've seen this preseason, it looks like he is going to more of a power run, grind it out, sort of game plan.  I certainly hope that he will be aggressive and attacking early in games, in hopes of building a nice lead before attempting to power away the clock.

So, my official vote will have to wait a while, I voted no for the time being.

I would actually like to see a team that does not let up, that keeps the pedal down for the entire 60 minutes.  I feel like the Marvin led teams get a lead and then go conservative, trying to run out the clock.  Too many times the other team comes back, leaving the Bengals to have to "pick it back up".
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2016, 05:12 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I would actually like to see a team that does not let up, that keeps the pedal down for the entire 60 minutes.  I feel like the Marvin led teams get a lead and then go conservative, trying to run out the clock.  Too many times the other team comes back, leaving the Bengals to have to "pick it back up".

We will see.  I thought that I read an article or two stating that Zamp was going to more of a power running based offense.  It'll take more than just some minor improvement from Bodine at Center, to make that a successful plan.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Not directly as far as the XYZ of things, but I think Zampese's knowledge of Dalton puts him in an excellent position to make the team better. Zampese has done a good job developing two QBs, so I don't think it's too far of a jump to believe he can move the rest of the pieces around to be even better. Like maybe having a receiver run a clean route for his QB instead of a gadget play.
Reply/Quote
Sounds like Zampese is more of strategist then an emotional leader. From what i've read he's hella smart when it comes to the Xs and Os of the game and has worked under some of the best like Martz and his father Ernie. It could be good for the team maybe we see more mismatches being taken advantage of.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2016, 05:12 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I would actually like to see a team that does not let up, that keeps the pedal down for the entire 60 minutes.  I feel like the Marvin led teams get a lead and then go conservative, trying to run out the clock.  Too many times the other team comes back, leaving the Bengals to have to "pick it back up".

Marvin is not more conservative with a lead than any other NFL head coach.  This is one common criticism that I just don't get.
Reply/Quote
On the TD screen pass with Gio in the preseason, I thought what a beautiful play! Gio in the postgame interview said that Dalton got them into a good play on that down.

My hopes is that Zampese is concocting these great plays for Andy to use at his disposal, but the play calling itself is primarily on Andy's shoulders. If this is the case, I think this offense will be better than ever.
Reply/Quote
I voted yes but wasnt sure how to vote im not so sure the questions is will he push it forward so much as willl the offense fall back like everyone predicts with our savior leaving for cleveland i think our offense stays the same.
Reply/Quote
He seems to be primarily concerned with playing to the strengths of his players so far, so that is certainly promising. I'm perfectly okay with being creative but as long as he tailors the offense correctly around our players and gives Andy enough tools to call plays himself at the line, there is no way the offense will regress imo.
Reply/Quote
With Dalton's experience now and how many non-Bengals have said he is one of the best at pre-snap reads, I think if Zamp gives him the same green light Jackson did, which I think he will, I think you might see less moving around and such, but I think the offense will continue moving right along. The only possible ? is if Boyd and LaFell can match Jones and Sanu.
Reply/Quote
My biggest hope is that he is good at making adjustments as the game unfolds. This is what really is going to be a very important attribute, versus "sticking with the game plan"
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2016, 10:12 PM)GodFather Wrote: My biggest hope is that he is good at making adjustments as the game unfolds. This is what really is going to be a very important attribute, versus "sticking with the game plan"

Yep.  I remember the ole Billicheater saying something about how an NFL game is often determined not by preparation, but the ability to adjust in the heat of battle.  Zampese seems like the type to be able to do that.  

As others have said, tackle play and WR play may take a dip, but Dalton gets better every year.  Gio seems to be in prime form.  I think it'll be a good year.
Reply/Quote
I think Zampese will lean more on the actual scheme to make the offense work and less of the misdirection and cutesy gadgets, which I think will be a benefit to the offense.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2016, 10:35 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I think Zampese will lean more on the actual scheme to make the offense work and less of the misdirection and cutesy gadgets, which I think will be a benefit to the offense.

This. Hue tried to get too fancy a lot of the time. I'm hopeful KZ will do well considering how well he knows Andy.

Reply/Quote