Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Will We Improve The Line This Offseason?
I wouldn't blame it all on the offensive line think it's a combination of Burrow's injury , play calling and the line itself. Zac abandon's the run way to soon which makes no sense with Burrow hurt and Mixon looking good at times. Also teams are going all out blitz and the Bengals threw one screen pass to the TE late in the game and it worked. Far as the line goes I'm surprised how bad Cappaa has looked. Cappa fractured his ankle last year maybe he's coming back slow ? Brown has been solid.
Reply/Quote
Cordell Volson is a stud and a hall of famer

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
Since it's related, here's how the OL is performing through 4 games this season:

Running game - 3.7 YPC (24th in league)

Pass blocking:
Brown - 10 total pressures allowed, 1 sack, 64.9 PFF pass block rating
Volson - 11 total pressures allowed, 1 sack, 9.2 PFF pass block rating (not a typo)
Karras - 7 total pressures allowed, 3 sacks, 53.9 PFF pass block rating
Cappa - 9 total pressures allowed, 0 sacks, 58.7 PFF pass block rating
Williams - 8 total pressures allowed, 2 sacks, 62.2 PFF pass block rating
---------------------------------------------
Total - 45 total pressures allowed, 7 sacks

PFF rankings of each player in their position group based on run+pass block:
Brown - 50th among all eligible tackles
Volson - 70th among all eligible guards
Karras - 23rd among all eligible centers
Cappa - 45th among all eligible guards
Williams - 39th among all eligible tackles

We've seen some/most of these guys succeed on previous teams/schemes, so I'm sure a lot has to do with what Pollack is running.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think a lot of the hate on the OL is misguided.

They are at a huge disadvantage when they don't have to account for the QB moving the pocket at all or being mobile. They don't have to play the run and don't have to guess on lanes. It's like shooting fish in a barrel for them.

The shockwaves of Joe's injury are affecting the entire team. Really wish the dude would just sit. It's almost to the point where it's selfish.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 12:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Since it's related, here's how the OL is performing through 4 games this season:

Running game - 3.7 YPC (24th in league)

Pass blocking:
Brown - 10 total pressures allowed, 1 sack, 64.9 PFF pass block rating
Volson - 11 total pressures allowed, 1 sack, 9.2 PFF pass block rating (not a typo)
Karras - 7 total pressures allowed, 3 sacks, 53.9 PFF pass block rating
Cappa - 9 total pressures allowed, 0 sacks, 58.7 PFF pass block rating
Williams - 8 total pressures allowed, 2 sacks, 62.2 PFF pass block rating
---------------------------------------------
Total - 45 total pressures allowed, 7 sacks

PFF rankings of each player in their position group based on run+pass block:
Brown - 50th among all eligible tackles
Volson - 70th among all eligible guards
Karras - 23rd among all eligible centers
Cappa - 45th among all eligible guards
Williams - 39th among all eligible tackles

We've seen some/most of these guys succeed on previous teams/schemes, so I'm sure a lot has to do with what Pollack is running.

It's really not that bad of an o-line. It's just that one weak link

but it's all good. He'll improve

Reply/Quote
Is anybody willing to admit that many of the Chiefs and Ravens fans, however annoying as they might have been, and slightly over-exaggerating, were sort of right about Orlando Brown? He isn't a great LT, probably closer to an average one.

His contract is still good, but it's probably not the "steal" that it was billed to be. He is also a better option than what we had last year so it's an upgrade, but I just think back to all the comments in the off-season and think there was unfortunately a lot of truth in their sentiments.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 02:40 PM)Lucius Cincinnatus Wrote: Is anybody willing to admit that many of the Chiefs and Ravens fans, however annoying as they might have been, and slightly over-exaggerating, were sort of right about Orlando Brown? He isn't a great LT, probably closer to an average one.

His contract is still good, but it's probably not the "steal" that it was billed to be. He is also a better option than what we had last year so it's an upgrade, but I just think back to all the comments in the off-season and think there was unfortunately a lot of truth in their sentiments.

The data has always suggested that Orlando Brown was an above average tackle, but not a world beater. He was best at RT, where he did very, very well in 2019. Since moving to LT in 2020, he has floated between average/above average. However, he was/is an upgrade over Jonah Williams, who played well in 2020 and struggled after that. Jonah is playing well on the right side this year. 
Reply/Quote
Nobody thought Brown was Trent Williams. Brown is a very good LT and an improvement over Jonah. Let us also not forget he is playing beside Cordell Volson and not Joe Thuney so I'm sure that doesnt help Brown.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals need to do something with Volson. You can't keep putting him out there hoping he improves. Personally I would move Karras back to LG and give Scharping or Hill a chance at center and see if that line does any better.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 06:51 PM)Destro Wrote: We won't improve it, but will say we did things to improve it, like every year.

I don't care if Burrow is a statue, the O-line is clearly still bad. Yes, Burrow is playing super poorly, but two things can be bad at once. Even three!!! ( looking at you , Tee Higgins ).

Brady had years where he never ran, never had to. Burrow should'nt be running at all, I want him to get good protection.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2023, 09:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote:

The eye test says Brown is the only decent O-lineman we have.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 05:06 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: Brady had years where he never ran, never had to. Burrow should'nt be running at all, I want him to get good protection.

It's not just about running, though. It's also about manipulating the pocket. Burrow was awesome the last couple years about moving around in the pocket and, yes, running when necessary. This year, he's literally just standing there. He either hands off, or throws the ball. I mean look at the Titans game. Tennessee is bring all out blitzes and Burrow is still just standing there hoping to get the pass off before he gets hit, but he doesn't even move.

Of course, we all wnat him to have good protection, but the QB also has a role in getting good protection.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 12:34 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Cordell Volson is a stud and a hall of famer

Dude, let it go.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 12:38 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I think a lot of the hate on the OL is misguided.

They are at a huge disadvantage when they don't have to account for the QB moving the pocket at all or being mobile. They don't have to play the run and don't have to guess on lanes. It's like shooting fish in a barrel for them.

The shockwaves of Joe's injury are affecting the entire team. Really wish the dude would just sit. It's almost to the point where it's selfish.

Would'nt it be easier to block knowing Joe is'nt going to run?
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 05:13 PM)PCB Bengal Fan Wrote: Dude, let it go.

he's a real glass eater

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 02:40 PM)Lucius Cincinnatus Wrote: Is anybody willing to admit that many of the Chiefs and Ravens fans, however annoying as they might have been, and slightly over-exaggerating, were sort of right about Orlando Brown? He isn't a great LT, probably closer to an average one.

He's above average. But yes. Not amazing.

Same with Collins.

You don't get steals on elite lineman.
Reply/Quote
So I was listening to locked on Bengals and Jake liscow was talking about Pollack. Apparently Pollack was brought in because of his expertise with running the wide-zone blocking scheme. So what does Duke do? He signs a bunch of guys who are a fit for man blocking scheme.

So Zac, Brian, and Pollack all want to run the Shannan style offense but yet Duke keeps signing players that don't fit this scheme.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 01:45 AM)J24 Wrote: So I was listening to locked on Bengals and  Jake liscow was talking about Pollack. Apparently Pollack was brought in because of his expertise with running the wide-zone blocking scheme. So what does Duke do? He signs a bunch of guys who are a fit for man blocking scheme.

So Zac, Brian, and Pollack all want to run the Shannan style offense but yet Duke keeps signing players that don't fit this scheme.

Duke saw value, but the coaches he and Mike brought in just do not fit

This offense hinges on Burrow and the receivers being healthy. They cannot run it, and the linemen arent good pass blockers. That's mainly due to the linemen and coaches not being a fit. 

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 01:45 AM)J24 Wrote: So I was listening to locked on Bengals and  Jake liscow was talking about Pollack. Apparently Pollack was brought in because of his expertise with running the wide-zone blocking scheme. So what does Duke do? He signs a bunch of guys who are a fit for man blocking scheme.

Pisses me off.

I thought Duke was better than that.

He has played a big part in making us a contender but this could set us back years because either we need all an entirely new line or new coaches, or the coaches would have to change their scheme.

Would the coaches be willing to do that? If they saw that it's not the players' strengths, wouldn't they have adapted instead of continuing to do what doesn't work?
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 02:04 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Pisses me off.

I thought Duke was better than that.

He has played a big part in making us a contender but this could set us back years because either we need all an entirely new line or new coaches, or the coaches would have to change their scheme.

Would the coaches be willing to do that? If they saw that it's not the players' strengths, wouldn't they have adapted instead of continuing to do what doesn't work?
The coaches have changed the scheme. They did it last season before the first Ravens game. The rush offense  was a top 5 unit for the rest of season. 
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote