Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Will this make anyone feel better?
I was looking at NFL trade rumors.co and saw this nugget:

Quote:According to (Tony) Pauline, the Bengals have spent an “enormous amount” of time with Western Michigan OL Taylor Moton

Not overly surprising that the Bengals are checking out o-linemen prospects, but Moton is projected as a 3rd rounder by Walter Football. Walter also has the Bengals taking linemen back to back (he has us snapping up Moton as well) in rounds 2 and 3.

So I guess my question is, would you guys feel better about the line after the additions of Andre Smith and a couple solid prospects? Also, are there any particular players that jump out in this draft?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Yeah one more promising tackle prospect would be nice. Someone who is versatile and could play interior as well would be even better.

Anyone know if Moton can play guard?
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2017, 01:08 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Yeah one more promising tackle prospect would be nice. Someone who is versatile and could play interior as well would be even better.

Anyone know if Moton can play guard?

Yes, has played guard before.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Admittedly, I am not one who follows the pre-draft process very closely and am nowhere near an "expert", but I keep seeing that it is an incredibly weak draft for offensive linemen, especially tackles. I do however read that it is an incredibly deep draft for defense. Personally I would rather see them focus on the defensive side of the ball, grab a strong running back, and bring in some free agent help with the line until next year. If a stud wide receiver is there, especially in round two, that would be hard to pass up as well.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2017, 01:15 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Admittedly, I am not one who follows the pre-draft process very closely and am nowhere near an "expert", but I keep seeing that it is an incredibly weak draft for offensive linemen, especially tackles.  I do however read that it is an incredibly deep draft for defense.  Personally I would rather see them focus on the defensive side of the ball, grab a strong running back, and bring in some free agent help with the line until next year.  If a stud wide receiver is there, especially in round two, that would be hard to pass up as well.

They did that already with Andre Smith. Someone like Moton would be a player to become the heir at RG/RT while he sits behind a veteran as a rookie.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
As long as they draft a Center in addition to other o-line prospects. 
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
PFF List him as a guard in their scouting, and the 2nd best one behind Lamp.

I think he played Tackle but from the scouting report his weakness is Speed and Wide rush so hence why the move in to guard where they think he is "potential solid starter material"

I wonder if he would be available though, i don't see us getting an Olineman any earlier than 3rd round at best when you considering sheer bodies already on the roster. And when you consider they see the starting lineup as Ced / Boling / Bodine / Smith? / Fisher and then they brought back Winston, and they like Westerman and Johnson. Seems a bit crowded to me.

Guards :

Boling
Hopkins
Westerman
Redmond

Tackles :

Ogbuehi
Smith
Winston
Fisher

Centre :

Johnson
Bodbine

NFL.com :

SOURCES TELL US "I had to go back and watch his 2015 tape when he played guard. He was a little rough at tackle this year but that isn't his spot. Big and strong as a guard. He was moving guys from Ohio State around like it was nothing." -- Area scout for NFC team

If we can get him in the 3rd round or lower i say lets do it :)
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2017, 01:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: They did that already with Andre Smith. Someone like Moton would be a player to become the heir at RG/RT while he sits behind a veteran as a rookie.

Unfortunately Smith has never played guard, cannot stay healthy, and has graded out progressively worse since 2012.  I don't think you can count on him.
Reply/Quote
Unless it involves replacing Bodine it is not really an improvement.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2017, 01:24 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Unfortunately Smith has never played guard, cannot stay healthy, and has graded out progressively worse since 2012.  I don't think you can count on him.

Hey, I'm not saying I agree with the decision, but that's what the decision was.
The expected starting give OL are Ogbuehi - Boling - Bodine - Smith - Fisher.
Backups right now are Winston, Westerman, Hopkins, and likely TJ Johnson if/when he signs his RFA tender (he'd be dumb not to, he's not going to get $1.8 mill anywhere else).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2017, 01:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Hey, I'm not saying I agree with the decision, but that's what the decision was.
The expected starting give OL are Ogbuehi - Boling - Bodine - Smith - Fisher.
Backups right now are Winston, Westerman, Hopkins, and likely TJ Johnson if/when he signs his RFA tender (he'd be dumb not to, he's not going to get $1.8 mill anywhere else).

I understand the thinking, just don't agree with it.  They seem to have a fascination with guys who have played here before.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2017, 01:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I was looking at NFL trade rumors.co and saw this nugget:

Not overly surprising that the Bengals are checking out o-linemen prospects, but Moton is projected as a 3rd rounder by Walter Football. Walter also has the Bengals taking linemen back to back (he has us snapping up Moton as well) in rounds 2 and 3.

So I guess my question is, would you guys feel better about the line after the additions of Andre Smith and a couple solid prospects? Also, are there any particular players that jump out in this draft?

I would feel better about the o line overall, yes. Still pissed they've put themselves in this spot in the first place. I was resigned to zeitler leaving, and don't blame them for not paying that amount. Whit should be here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
I guess. But it's just typical Bengals to go into a draft that has the best defensive talent in the last 15 years, and weakest Oline talent in the last 2 decades, needing Oline help, and having to spend top picks on Olinemen that in other years would have been 5th and 6th round picks.

So as the top pass rushers, cover corners, safeties, etc get gobbled up early. We'll be focused on the weakest position in the draft.

It's the "Process" though. Right.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2017, 02:25 PM)jj22 Wrote: I guess. But it's just typical Bengals to go into a draft that has the best defensive talent in the last 15 years, and weakest Oline talent in the last 2 decades, needing Oline help, and having to spend top picks on Olinemen that in other years would have been 5th and 6th round picks.

So as the top pass rushers, cover corners, safeties, etc get gobbled up early. We'll be focused on the weakest position in the draft.

It's the "Process" though. Right.

This. 

The Bengals screwed up with their last offensive lineman picks. They could have corrected the entire thing by bringing back Zeit and Whit. Now to fix the problem they are going to draft even more unproven NFL talent while passing on other guys that could help on other parts of their team. What a joke. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2017, 01:20 PM)Bengalboy Wrote: PFF List him as a guard in their scouting, and the 2nd best one behind Lamp.

SOURCES TELL US "I had to go back and watch his 2015 tape when he played guard. He was a little rough at tackle this year but that isn't his spot. Big and strong as a guard. He was moving guys from Ohio State around like it was nothing." -- Area scout for NFC team

If we can get him in the 3rd round or lower i say lets do it :)

It's true, he looked like a man among boys in that game.  I remember thinking to myself during that game that he looked NFL quality.  I would find him to be a welcome addition to the Bengals roster.

People keep saying that this is a down year for drafting OL, and I think that is kind of a blanket statement used by some to encourage emphasis on other positions.  Yes, this draft class does not feature many prototypical plug and play guys at LT.  That is just a result of so many of the top programs going with a version of the spread offense.  There are still plenty of schools that run pro style offenses and develop offensive linemen the old fashioned way. 

And, when it comes to interior OL, this draft class isn't really much different than any other.  When it comes to Centers and Guards, there isn't much difference in what they do in a spread offense as compared to a pro style.  I like this year's offerings at C and G, and it would be a good time for the Bengals to take advantage of what the draft offers.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
All we need is a Drone to follow O-line Coach Paul Alexander around with and wherever he is that will be the guy they take.
Reply/Quote
I prefer a Veteran oline. We just have to be patient while the young players develop. Don't think the Bengals will be good the next few years.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2017, 01:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I was looking at NFL trade rumors.co and saw this nugget:

If one of them is a C, I will do a happy dance.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
We probably have to spend a second on him. He'd be a solid pick there.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2017, 03:05 PM)depthchart Wrote: All we need is a Drone to follow O-line Coach Paul Alexander around with and wherever he is that will be the guy they take.

lol
nice avatar by the way
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote