Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will we see players kneel?
(09-24-2017, 10:46 AM)pally Wrote: So far we have not seen any Bengal player kneel for the anthem.  In fact, most of our players have been silent on the subject.  However, for many players, the President's comments over the weekend have changed things.  This morning there were a large number of players kneeling in London and a many others have already said they will protest.  Many owners, including Rooney and Kraft have come out in favor of the player's first amendment rights.  Mike Brown remains silent on the subject.
So what do you think, will any Bengals take a knee?  If so who do you think will do so?  And how will Lewis and Brown react if they do? ( not how you think they should react)

Sick of the BS kneeling before games. It is their right to protest. It is Trump's right to tell the world he thinks it is BS. Funny, one group who wants respect has disrespected the free speech of the President.

They kneel and my many years of buying 6 seats in the club section will end after this year. I will speak with my wallet.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
(09-24-2017, 12:10 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Sick of the BS kneeling before games. It is their right to protest. It is Trump's right to tell the world he thinks it is BS. Funny, one group who wants respect has disrespected the free speech of the President.

They kneel and my many years of buying 6 seats in the club section will end after this year. I will speak with my wallet.

The President, like anyone else, has the right to speak his mind. That is true. There are a lot more important things for him to focusing on. Instead of calling someone a "son of a *****", why not use your position and power to move the conversation forward? These players are kneeling for something that is a real problem. Are there better ways to address the issue? I'm sure there are. I just don't understand why it's okay to call a protester a "son of a *****", but it's not okay to protest racial inequality.
I'm hopeful they do and in fact I'd like for the entire league, all professional leagues and players and coaches to also join in as well as every fan and spectator not because I'm any kind of rabble rouser or radical. My reasons have to do with citizen participation in our so called democracy.  
Takeo Spikes wrote a good article in The Players Tribune,

"Under the circumstances that we face today as a people and as a nation, when WE THE PEOPLE must recognize the difference between right and wrong, when we have an obligation to speak out in the wake of Ferguson, Baltimore, Charlottesville and more, silence is acceptance, if not collusion. You’re either part of the solution … or you’re a major part of the problem if you are not speaking out against injustice and inequality in America. It has been said that “Silence is evil’s greatest ally.” Our country’s Constitution puts responsibility for forming “a more perfect union” squarely upon “We the People…,” and it doesn’t stipulate “We the People … with the exception of athletes.”

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/takeo-spikes-wake-up/

While this may feel inconvenient to some people democracy isn't a matter of convenience. 
Those who like to make the claims that soldiers fight for the first, second or even 10th amendment to the constitution aren't really paying attention to why soldiers go to war in this country to begin with. 
Although we're seldom told the truth it doesn't take a history major to see most of the fighting is to protect someone else's wealth. That alone is pretty inconvenient, but it's why the majority of wars are fought. Nobody ever went to war to protect a flag. They may be conned into believing that is the reason, but it isn't and never has been.  Flags are mere symbols as are songs. 
Think back to how athletes have been treated over the years and you'll soon realize that by in large they've been treated by team owners as property to be used, traded, sold and disposed of and until just recently in history weren't paid much either. It really wasn't until the 1960s with people such as Mohammed Ali and Curt Flood challenging baseball's reserve clause that athletes in general had any voice at all in the business of sports.
There is nothing in our constitution or laws that say athletes should remain silent about how our nation or any nation operates and it's my belief that since they do have such an open and widely seen platform for bringing things to light they should be allowed and encouraged to use this unique position in life to speak up and not be treated as chattel or mere hired hands on the farm. 
You don't have to like it and certainly nobody is forcing anybody to attend or pay attention to the games.

You can tell us that you won't attend another game or won't be a fan of the team if players decide to exercise their rights of free speech and exactly how does that help our society move on from bigotry and racial division ? It doesn't and I suspect nobody cares if you do or don't. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

My giveadamn about the Bengals ended on Friday, but it's worth jumping in to mention that Tomlin and his Steely Minions are opting out of the whole thing. They're staying in the locker room during the national anthem. Bunch of wusses, who have neither ballz nor the courage of their convictions.

At a minimum, the various teams' NFLPA representatives should take a knee in solidarity. YMMV. Don't know who the Bengals' player reps are this year, and can't be arsed to go look.
I dont see what the big deal is. So Trump said that wtf is he supposed to say he's the Commander and Chief. I would prefer him backing the military and the flag than catering to a groups feelings. Tired of walking on eggshells because a minority decided to take a stand the most controversial way possible. If every player kneels now it's more Anti American than ever. Was it not a good enough cause before the President spoke? Typical freakin hypocrites. The only race being oppressed today is the White race. A white male today is a rapist, bigot and chauvinist pig. God forbid a white male be allowed to be proud to be white.
Bunch of ***** sheep and a stupid fad. Blink and it'll be gone. I get a real kick out of how monumental these mental midgets think this is and how incredibly lame it all is. Really, who gives shit?

Maybe if the cores issues weren't so fabricated, it might be different. A little while ago, none of them cared about any of this shit.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Kneel in a foreign Country to our Anthem but stand for God save the queen? Wtf this is what our country has come to.
(09-24-2017, 12:10 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Sick of the BS kneeling before games. It is their right to protest. It is Trump's right to tell the world he thinks it is BS. Funny, one group who wants respect has disrespected the free speech of the President.

Everyone has a right to do what they want, but I don't get those that say they're done if any Bengals kneel today.

FFS, with everything that has occurred with this franchise over the last 26 years...kneeling would be the tipping point? 

We've all remained fans of this franchise through constant failures, disappointments, arrests, embarrassments, asinine behavior on and off the field, etc, etc, etc. There have been many reasons we all could have said the hell with team, but kneeling, after everything else we've stuck around for?

Just my opinion though.

Yep seems like anytime free speech comes up nowadays it's people claiming theirs is being disrespected by those that don't agree. You're allowed to disrespect the flag, others won't be ok with that which is also allowed (which you clearly knew and we're counting on or you wouldn't have done it). Trump to my knowledge hasn't tried to jail any of them so he's entitled to his opinion too without it denying free speech. 

As for the protests in general I think it's perfectly reasonable to have concerns about some of the things going on in this country, but voicing them in a manner like this is not the way to do it. This protest is divisive which will not bring about change, only war. Collin Kaepernick is not part of the solution, he's just causing further division and hatred...real leaders unify people on both sides, not divide them. People who set out to divide should not be labeled heros and followed even if their intentions may be good.

As for the Bengals, I'd be extremely disappointed to see them kneeling but not the least bit surprised. I'd be perfectly fine if they all locked arms like the browns did, especially if it included more than just the players. Nothing wrong with a protest, but you don't have to disrespect the flag, your freedom, those that have died for it, and this country to do it. If you want more support and to unify then don't keep this kneeling thing going. I for one can not support it.

And sorry, went a little into the P&R realm there
We will see the Bengal Players all stand up but lock arms to show unity for today's game.
The only player on the Bengals that I wouldn't mind kneeling is Pacman. I also heard about the whole Steelers team staying in the locker room. Phuck them.

I wish Trump wouldn't say stuff this crass as it does only seem to cause problems, but in reality, if any president Reagan or prior had said something similar, the vast, vast majority of Americans would have been behind it. As a matter of fact, I suspect the majority still are supportive.

I avoid Hollywood like the plague. (The fact that movies are awful these days makes this easy.) With the way the NFL game has been deteriorating for me lately, avoiding it has become easier and easier as well. If it gets to the point where the only two teams I care about (Bengals and Cowboys) start doing this crap, then I will treat the NFL like I have Hollywood.
(09-24-2017, 12:35 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Everyone has a right to do what they want, but I don't get those that say they're done if any Bengals kneel today.

FFS, with everything that has occurred with this franchise over the last 26 years...kneeling would be the tipping point? 

We've all remained fans of this franchise through constant failures, disappointments, arrests, embarrassments, asinine behavior on and off the field, etc, etc, etc. Players kneeling today wouldn't even rank in the top 20 of my reasons why I could have said to hell with this team.

Just my opinion though.

Funny how this whole thing has turned.  If you're in favor of it, you're a great American.  But if it offends you, you're a racist scumbag bigot. 

And look at the grand results of it all--another way to divide an already divided population.  Can anybody tell me anything positive that has come out of it?  No, because no such positive exists.

It's a typical 21st century phenomenon--do as little as possible and pat yourself on the back over what a noble thing you've done.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

(09-24-2017, 12:17 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: The President, like anyone else, has the right to speak his mind. That is true. There are a lot more important things for him to focusing on. Instead of calling someone a "son of a *****", why not use your position and power to move the conversation forward? These players are kneeling for something that is a real problem. Are there better ways to address the issue? I'm sure there are. I just don't understand why it's okay to call a protester a "son of a *****", but it's not okay to protest racial inequality.

It is OK to protest. It is also to have an opinion they are full of crap and disagree with them.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
(09-24-2017, 11:52 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Like I said if they kneel I'm out. My uncle died for this country and his coffin was wrapped in that flag and that's what it's about for me.

My grandfather, same story. I completely understand where you're coming from in that regard. But THAT is going to be your breaking point? After the past 3 decades of Bengal football that's what is going to push you away? Come on now, Bonnie. Aren't you being a little oversensitive?

Anyway, if (when) some Bengal players kneel, so be it. I honestly don't care that much one way or the other. I respect their right to protest, even though I don't agree with how players are protesting. The singing of the national anthem at a football game is neither the time nor the place IMO. But again, I understand what they stand for and respect their right to protest. 

But I'm not watching this to see protesting. I'm watching to see a game of football. Something as silly as players kneeling for the anthem isn't going to affect the game in any way. In the grand scheme of things it's a one minute pre game ritual. That's all. The game will still be played. I wont let something as trivial as a pregame protest ruin my love of Bengal football... There's PLENTY MORE the Bengals could do to drive me away. And if they haven't done it over my first 29 years of life, I doubt they ever will.
(09-24-2017, 12:45 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It is OK to protest. It is also to have an opinion they are full of crap and disagree with them.

I have zero problem with that. It seems that those who are opposed are more vocal than those that support or have no issue.

If you want to speak with your wallet, go for it. It's just strange to me that more people support the protesters being called a son of ***** than people support the protesters.

It's amazing to live in a country where people are free to share their different points of view on issues. 
Im really sick of politics. I hate it with a passion. I say next election nobody goes out and votes. That's how sick of it that I am. When it takes over the game of football I have a problem with it. People want to follow politics go watch CNN or Fox News. Anyone that mentions politics at their place of work should be warned about it and if it continues your fired. Its all over Facebook too, even at the workplace, Churches and the gym I work out at there were members almost coming to blows with each other last year over it. I mean enough is enough with politics.
(09-24-2017, 12:41 PM)Von Cichlid Wrote: The only player on the Bengals that I wouldn't mind kneeling is Pacman.  I also heard about the whole Steelers team staying in the locker room.  Phuck them.  

I wish Trump wouldn't say stuff this crass as it does only seem to cause problems, but in reality, if any president Reagan or prior had said something similar, the vast, vast majority of Americans would have been behind it.  As a matter of fact, I suspect the majority still are supportive.

I avoid Hollywood like the plague.  (The fact that movies are awful these days makes this easy.)  With the way the NFL game has been deteriorating for me lately, avoiding it has become easier and easier as well.  If it gets to the point where the only two teams I care about (Bengals and Cowboys) start doing this crap, then I will treat the NFL like I have Hollywood.

Maybe they should really show Trump and stay in there for the whole game and take the loss Ninja
(09-24-2017, 12:43 PM)McC Wrote: Funny how this whole thing has turned.  If you're in favor of it, you're a great American.  But if it offends you, you're a racist scumbag bigot. 

And look at the grand results of it all--another way to divide an already divided population.  Can anybody tell me anything positive that has come out of it?  No, because no such positive exists.

It's a typical 21st century phenomenon--do as little as possible and pat yourself on the back over what a noble thing you've done.

Yeah brother...I was just talking about it in terms of affecting anyone's Bengals fandom.  Nervous
(09-24-2017, 12:35 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Everyone has a right to do what they want, but I don't get those that say they're done if any Bengals kneel today.

We've all remained fans of this franchise through constant failures, disappointments, arrests, embarrassments, asinine behavior on and off the field, etc, etc, etc. There have been many reasons we all could have said the hell with team, but kneeling, after everything else we've stuck around for?

Just my opinion though.

I have put up with losing. But, I don't have to put up with a bunch of entertainers bringing politics into the sport. So, they protest by kneeling, I protest them by refusing to go watch them play in person anymore.

There are many ways to use free speech and try and work on issues, this is  the lazy and divisive way by them. 

Go fix Chicago and black on black murders, then get back to us on other issues. It is criminal kids can't walk down the street safely in Chicago and other neighborhoods in the US, but it is ignored by this same group.

(09-24-2017, 12:52 PM)packerbacker Wrote: Im really sick of politics. I hate it with a passion. I say next election nobody goes out and votes. That's how sick of it that I am. When it takes over the game of football I have a problem with it. People want to follow politics go watch CNN or Fox News. Anyone that mentions politics at their place of work should be warned about it and if it continues your fired. Its all over Facebook too, even at the workplace, Churches and the gym I work out at there were members almost coming to blows with each other last year over it. I mean enough is enough with politics.

Totally agree.  I just want to watch a damn football game.