Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Will you resent Burrow...?
If he doesn't take a "team-friendly" deal, when the time comes for a contract-extension?
If he ends up handcuffing the team due to demanding a huge contract, thereby hampering their ability to keep/sign crucial talent around him...
will you end up resenting him?

The Steelers were able to keep Roethelisberger for his entire career.
The Chiefs have been able to maintain a high-level with Mahomes now in his 5th (6th?) season.

Can the Bengals do the same?
Will Burrow allow them to?
Reply/Quote
No. I think the idea of a team friendly contract is mostly a fan construction. I would never take less than my market value and I don't think Burrow should, either. If he does, great! That's awesome. I expect him to get as much money as possible, though. The Bengals may get creative with how the contract is structured and that could alleviate some pressure.

At the end of the day, football is a job. Get paid what you are worth, especially when your long-term physical health is at stake.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 12:10 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: No. I think the idea of a team friendly contract is mostly a fan construction. I would never take less than my market value and I don't think Burrow should, either. If he does, great! That's awesome. I expect him to get as much money as possible, though. The Bengals may get creative with how the contract is structured and that could alleviate some pressure.

At the end of the day, football is a job. Get paid what you are worth, especially when your long-term physical health is at stake.

Agree and these guys know that their career window is short and can be closed at any moment with a significant injury.  So get paid as much as possible as quickly as possible.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
Resenting him would be too tough a word. I would still understand. Just passing on several millions you could get, in a sports where your career can be over any given Sunday, is not a decision many would make.
Reply/Quote
I won’t be upset/resent anyone for taking the deal that’s best for them.

I’ll give kudos to anyone who does do a team friendly deal. But I give it about a 5% chance anyone does that. End of day, making an extra $3, $5, $10, $20M is more important than playing for any one particular team. No team is guaranteed to win a Super Bowl. Even if they were, I wouldn’t trade $20M for 1 Super Bowl. I’ll take that money and change me entire family’s future and generations to come.
Reply/Quote
Resent is too strong a word for me.

I'll be a little disappointed if he takes us to the cleaners for his contract, but he is completely in command when it comes to dictating what his future pay will be. A lot of teams would sell the farm for him if we don't, and he's entitled to do that.

I think Burrow's more astute than that though. Success is clearly very meaningful to the guy, and you don't build a legacy without Super Bowl wins (usually, Dan Marino!). He's also living off endorsements and banking his entire rookie contract right? To me that suggests somebody who is very financially efficient, and not somebody who will necessarily have the maximum financial demands.

I also fail to believe that a guy who made a Heisman speech which focused a great deal on inequality, will ruin the Bengals financially for his own self-interest. He will get paid, no question, but I won't be surprised at all if he takes something structured in a way which helps us compete.
Reply/Quote
Almost any contract extension will be team friendly in a few years. The cap is rising too fast for it not to be. Plus without a qb, good luck.
Reply/Quote
I tend to look at Joe as a very very smart kid who would like nothing more than sustained team success. When he discussed the "window of success" as being his entire career that told me all I needed to know about his understanding on what it takes monetarily to keep good players or as many as they can along with being able to sign FA's.

I remember reading when Joe was a rookie him mentioning conversations he had with Tom Brady. I can't imagine those were strictly about how to be a pro and how to throw a tight spiral in 20 mph winds and plenty do with how to cultivate a team and team success. Joe has a vision and a thirst to be the best ever.
Reply/Quote
Why would I resent a guy for maximizing his value and getting as much money as humanly possible?

2024 season cant get here soon enough.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 12:48 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Why would I resent a guy for maximizing his value and getting as much money as humanly possible?

Where's the thread/chart that showed something like when a QB's contract takes up more that 12-13% of a team's salary cap... THEY HAVE NEVER WON THE SUPER BOWL?
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 12:49 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Where's the thread/chart that showed something like when a QB's contract takes up more that 12-13% of a team's salary cap... THE HAVE NEVER WON THE SUPER BOWL.?

Cool? 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Absolutely not. It is every individual's responsibility in this economic system (capitalism) to optimize their income to the best of their ability (because there is very little help available if you make a bad decision and end up poor/homeless. You need to get it while you can).

Burrow should get as much money as he thinks he can get out of the Bengals and then we'll see where the chips fall. Expecting someone to take a discount for the good of the team is not a fair thing to expect.

Imagine shaming one of your friends for not taking a pay cut to help their corporate bosses make 0.001% more profit that year.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 12:48 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Why would I resent a guy for maximizing his value and getting as much money as humanly possible?

While I agree, I want the draft here ASAP, then the season can come.

Draft mode is full-on in my head right now.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 12:49 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Where's the thread/chart that showed something like when a QB's contract takes up more that 12-13% of a team's salary cap... THE HAVE NEVER WON THE SUPER BOWL.?

If that is what Joe wants, then that is his prerogative. We as fans want Super Bowls, but some of these players don't care, they just want to get paid. I don't think that is Joe, but again, if he wants to get $55MM per year and the future of team success be damned, then he is entitled to it and I will still tune into every game. 

Also, Joe is going to make significantly more than 12%-13% of the salary cap, even if he takes a hometown discount. That would be equivalent to a $24MM per year contract with the current salary cap. A hometown discount for Joe would be $40MM, so if that is the cutoff line then Cincinnati is screwed anyways. 
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 12:03 PM)Tomkat Wrote: If he doesn't take a "team-friendly" deal, when the time comes for a contract-extension?
If he ends up handcuffing the team due to demanding a huge contract, thereby hampering their ability to keep/sign crucial talent around him...

The Chiefs have been able to maintain a high-level with Mahomes now in his 5th (6th?) season.

If he breaks the bank and we start going backwards in terms of wins... Then ill have a major issue with it.

Personally dont care about players making the most possible in a team sport.
Reply/Quote
The only team friendly part I would hope for is the guaranteed money part. There's only so much cash the Bengals have to stash away.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I’ll resent him if he leaves. Never for staying though.He’s worth whatever he gets and probably more. I have no doubt we will be a playoff team any year we have him at QB and healthy. The size of the contract will impact our chances at multiple SB’s/championship games/etc but it’s the price you pay and it doesn’t mean you can’t still start a dynasty. It just makes it harder.
Reply/Quote
Don’t blame Burrow for what he’s worth. He’s worth a blow out contract and if he chooses to keep less then great.

At the end of the day, this organization needs to draft well and make the right moves to stay relevant.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 12:03 PM)Tomkat Wrote: If he doesn't take a "team-friendly" deal, when the time comes for a contract-extension?

No

We’ve been so inept at drafting lineman that he’s been sacked 92 times in 2 years

That’s an absurd and almost disrespect number when you have the league best QB.

Honestly if i were his agent I’d ask for 10 mill more than whatever we offer as a “your welcome” for getting his ass beat so much his first 3 years
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2023, 01:01 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: If he breaks the bank and we start going backwards in terms of wins... Then ill have a major issue with it.

Personally dont care about players making the most possible in a team sport.

Every other player at every other position looks to maximize their contracts, why should we hold it against the QB for doing so? He just happens to play the most important (and highest paid) position.

Reply/Quote