Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Will you resent Burrow...?
Of course, Michael Jordan was vastly underpaid for years. He was making about 4 million a year, when players like Danny Ferry and AC Green and Chris Webber were getting much higher salaries. But he was able to make up for it by endorsements and I don't remember him ever complaining. And in the end, once his 10-year contract ran its course, he was able to get a reasonable salary. But he left a lot on the table, which may have helped the Bulls be so successful during that time.

I don't want Burrow to be resentful, looking at other QBs who are making much more. (That's more important than if the fans are resentful.) But perhaps he can explore how much extra he can make in endorsements if the team is competing for a Super Bowl every year. And perhaps, rather than being locked down for 10 years and then finding out he is vastly underpaid 5 years from now, he can sign a 4 or 5 year contract and then go for a higher salary when he sees where the salary cap is in 5 years.
Reply/Quote
This dynamic between player and team is so interesting. Most seem fine with Burrow taking as much as possible, which is fine, but we will likely blame the team if they can't surround Burrow with talent while being very limited in what they can do.

I think Mike is enjoying the success, but knows he and his family will go back to being the villains if they aren't up to a very difficult task.

Rodgers hasn't reached a SB in over a decade. The Seahawks fell off when they paid Wilson. The Saints made 1 Super Bowl with Brees. The Steelers never went back when it became Ben's show.

The Ravens are trying to avoid this fate. It's not going to be easy for us.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 06:09 PM)Joelist Wrote: Thank you!  I tried to make this point upthread. We just had terrible injury luck late in the season. And yes a lot (15 at least) of the sacks happened VERY early on when not only did we have a line that had never played together before but Burrow was not himself (still getting back from the appendectomy). In the last 13 regular season games only 26 sacks. 

That said, they need to really do their homework on Jonah's knees because those dislocated caps robbed him of his ability to anchor. If he does not look like he is all the way back then sit him and go with Carman. Right Tackle needs a pick or a legit Free Agent because like Jonah there is no guarantee Collins is anything like 100%. 

Ideally, I'd like to upgrade and move on from Jonah. He's mediocre and an injury concern every year. I'm not sure if I'd go all in on Carman yet, though. Collins was pretty good, especially later in the year, but has the same injury concerns.

It's going to be interesting to see how we handle it. Can Carman be a good swing Tackle? Or at least back up both spots on the left side? Do we just try to upgrade Jonah in FA? Or maybe roll with Carman and a pick in the first 3 rounds?

I don't envy the guys in the FO right now. Lots of tough decisions to be made.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2023, 06:19 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: In 2021 Burrow's average intended air yards per attempt was 8.1 and his time to throw was 2.69 seconds, in 2022 those numbers dropped to 6.8 and 2.55.

If you throw it shorter and quicker, pass rushers have less time to get to you. That doesn't mean your OL was good, it means you are gimping your offense to cover up their deficiencies.

It doesn't take a more run centric philosophy to not be terrible at running the ball. The Bengals were 29th in rushing yards per attempt. There aren't 28 teams with run centric philosophies. Just at least be mediocre at running the ball so it's not wasting downs and teams have to somewhat respect it.

I hear ya, but I think we went with the short throws more to combat the constant 2 high safety looks we got all year, rather than due to deficiencies with the line. Fewer sacks was probably an added benefit, but wasn't Joey B still top 10 in YPA?

I think the line did a fine job in pass pro over the last 13 games. Hard to complain about 29 sacks in 13 games, even with a quick time/throw.

Those stats would be similar to when Dalton was around, and no one complained about the pass pro back then. He was just as quick getting the ball out.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2023, 06:57 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This dynamic between player and team is so interesting. Most seem fine with Burrow taking as much as possible, which is fine, but we will likely blame the team if they can't surround Burrow with talent while being very limited in what they can do.

I think Mike is enjoying the success, but knows he and his family will go back to being the villains if they aren't up to a very difficult task.

Rodgers hasn't reached a SB in over a decade. The Seahawks fell off when they paid Wilson. The Saints made 1 Super Bowl with Brees. The Steelers never went back when it became Ben's show.

The Ravens are trying to avoid this fate. It's not going to be easy for us.

These are SUPERB examples — and I’m confident Joe Burrow is going to make a series of team-friendly deals over the years.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2023, 01:22 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: These are SUPERB examples — and I’m confident Joe Burrow is going to make a series of team-friendly deals over the years.

I hope you're right. I don't think he does. I think he goes for the entire bank and gets it. I won't fault him either.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote