Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Wilson signs 4 year extension
(08-05-2023, 04:25 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Pratt and Wilson have been a great duo.  Congratulations to both of them on getting paid!  It has been really enjoyable watching those guys hold down the LB position.

Yessir! 

Thise two plus ADG makes me feel good about LB. Excellent drafting. Pratt in the 3rd one year and Wilson in the 3rd & ASG in the 4th the next. 
Reply/Quote
Huge! We managed to lock up the stellar LB duo for years to come! Didn’t think it would happen.

We have a lot of guys not being greedy. Taking fair deals, that are still paying really well, and opting to play for a winner aiming for super bowls.
Reply/Quote
Really good news.
Reply/Quote
Awesome news on a Saturday morning.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2023, 01:42 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote:

Nobody knows yet you’re able to tell us all about it.

Again please focus. I’ve not made one comment about Joe’s contract or injury.. Stay on topic
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-05-2023, 01:04 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Tee is not replacing Mulugheta, he is loved by the players.

Well you are probably more in tune with Mulugheta than me. We’ll see if he’s the kind of agent that adheres to his clients wishes. I think that if Logan’s got done they are pretty far along in the process.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2023, 09:42 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: We're not keeping Chase AND Higgins. We weren't gonna do it before this deal, and we're certainly not going to after this deal. 

The problem is they have to decide who to keep.

Higgins and Chase don't appear too far off. Higgins could make a stronger case to keep him over Chase this year.

But there's a defensive player that we're saying goodbye to because of this deal. Dj Reader.

Mixon's restructure basically covered the Wilson deal.
Reply/Quote
Excellent job by the front office! This guys stock is going up so this signing was absolutely brilliant. Wilson and Pratt are very good, smart, linebackers who can feed of each other for years to come.
Reply/Quote
Great news and consider this a team friendly deal at that price. Wilson was a must sign imho.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2023, 05:12 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Huge! We managed to lock up the stellar LB duo for years to come! Didn’t think it would happen.

Yeah, Bengals have been hit or miss at linebacker at least since the beginning of the Marvin Lewis era. It really is nice to have two guys who **we drafted** now extended for their second contracts with us. They may not be the best in the game, but they are good enough and I will never forget that Germaine Pratt helped us seal the deal on winning our first playoff game in 30+ years. 

Edit: I am trying to think of our linebackers who contributed since 2003. Of course there is Burfict. Most of the other guys were flashes in the pan: Mannie Lawson and Thomas Howard, Odell Thurman, Rey Muauluga (he was with us for awhile but his peak performance was brief I think). Any others that are worth mentioning?

Reply/Quote
Great signing! Keeping The Wolverine and Playoff P together for a few more years is a good thing, right?! 4-3 LBs rarely break the bank, I wonder how they came up with the numbers. OLBs on 3-4s are considered pass rushers and are paid as such, and their off-ball-MLB counterparts are usually paid well too. Look at what that thug in Baltimore is getting paid!
Reply/Quote
It's a fair contract for Wilson.

He's a good player, not great. I wouldn't really say he's "underpaid" or whatever. Nice player, fair contract.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2023, 01:35 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: So the Bengals have spent 21 million for 3 years of Pratt and up to 37.25 million for 4 years of Wilson (in addition to this current year, so probably total of 5 year, 40 million or so).

At worst, that's ~9.3 million dollars per year for Wilson. It's 8 million per year if you account for his 2023 salary and it may be lower than that given the "up to" language in the tweet. Maybe it ends up being 4 year 35 million or 4 year 32 million, depending on what those up to figures are.

So, at it's highest value (only considering the 4 year extension itself as new money) that's, on average, 16.3 million dollars for Pratt and Wilson for the next 3 years at least.

Roquan Smith signed a 5 year, 100 million dollar contract, 20 million AAV.

Tremaine Edwards signed a 4 year 72 million dollar contract, 18 million AAV.

I think we got a pretty good deal haha.

Wilson isn't the level of player of either of those guys, but he doesn't need to be. 

Organizations paying 100 million for LB play this day and age are really dumb. 
Reply/Quote
Learning of this extension made my day!
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2023, 11:46 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Crazy take...

Tee's agent is holding everything up.  What if Burrow said, "sign Logan and Tee and we can make my deal work around theirs", and Mulugheta is the one pushing Tee's too far?  This is highly unlikely but if any QB would do this, I could see it being Joe.

Tee's agent is the problem. I hope Burrow won’t hold off signing waiting on Tee. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2023, 10:15 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Wilson isn't the level of player of either of those guys, but he doesn't need to be. 

Organizations paying 100 million for LB play this day and age are really dumb. 

I'd personally rather have Pratt and Wilson for 16M than either of those guys alone for their inflated salaries. It's like a 2 for 1 special.

It's reminiscent of when we signed Chidobe Awuzie (3 years, 21.75M) and Mike Hilton (4 years 24M) for less money per year than William Jackson III signed for (3 years, 40M).
Reply/Quote
The linebackers are locked up on reasonable deals.

The team rarely if ever pays a premium for a safety.

They've drafted a great deal of young talent in the secondary and on the DL of late.

Perhaps they view less-expensive off-ball linebackers as the stabilizing veteran presence to spend on while cycling through more expensive premium defensive positions.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2023, 04:25 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Pratt and Wilson have been a great duo.  Congratulations to both of them on getting paid!  It has been really enjoyable watching those guys hold down the LB position.

^Yess!  They've revitalized the secondary with talented youth, and now solidified the LB position by signing our two talented home grown guys to second contracts.  Edge rusher seems to be locked up for at least a couple years with the Hendrickson extension and drafting of Myles Murphy.  It's been all quiet on the DJ Reader front, really hoping that he isn't the odd man out, when all of the big money offensive contracts are completed.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2023, 10:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Are you suggesting JB has agreed to a contract and no one knows about it? 

The perimeters maybe. If not, with the extension of Hendrickson that saved no cap space and extension of Wilson could signal the Burrow deal isn’t getting done this offseason. Why make any of these moves until you know how much it’s going to take to extend Burrow.  

I think whatever happens the Burrow deal / no deal looks to be settled given the non Tee extensions. 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2023, 12:41 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I'd personally rather have Pratt and Wilson for 16M than either of those guys alone for their inflated salaries. It's like a 2 for 1 special.

It's reminiscent of when we signed Chidobe Awuzie (3 years, 21.75M) and Mike Hilton (4 years 24M) for less money per year than William Jackson III signed for (3 years, 40M).

Agree 100%. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote