Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woo Hoo!! Billy Price!
(04-27-2018, 01:16 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: Love Billy Price but am concerned about his ability to come back by the beginning of the season from the surgery for his pec tear. We only need to see what happened with William Jackson and his inability to come back for his first year from a similar injury. Really think the Bengals need to draft another center to take some of the immediate pressure off of Price.

For the millionth time he’ll be ready by camp. No need to waste a pick on another Center.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 01:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Good point, and don't forget that 5th rounder we also got from Buffalo. We kinda nailed that trade.

Agreed. Not only was Price the pick (beat writer) Dehnar claimed all along, I also saw numerous mocks with us picking Price. It's possible and maybe even likely that Price was #1 on our board all along. Hasn't Lap been wrong before? I know he's not 100%.

Maybe the Bengals Front Office purposely gave Lapham a pep talk about Ragnow knowing that Price was their guy to mess up Lap's track record of getting the pick right only to have Detroit give Lap an out by picking Ragnow first.

Once Lap made his pick of Ragnow local Sports Radio picked it up as being "the pick" and that news could get around NFL circles.

Bengals may have wanted to temper down Lapham's accuracy by leaking positive Ragnow talk to Lap while wanting Price all along.

Just a thought...
Reply/Quote
jeez I remember when we had the 12th pick and Price was getting mocked to us at 12 (pre-injury obviously) and now people are mad we got him at 21 with cordy glenn. I get that some people had "their guy" and most of the time it was ragnow or daniels, but i never wanted daniels and ragnow wasn't even considered a first rounder until like 2 weeks ago
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 01:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Good point, and don't forget that 5th rounder we also got from Buffalo. We kinda nailed that trade.

Agreed. Not only was Price the pick (beat writer) Dehnar claimed all along, I also saw numerous mocks with us picking Price. It's possible and maybe even likely that Price was #1 on our board all along. Hasn't Lap been wrong before? I know he's not 100%.

After listening to Lazor and Pollack's conference, it's a pretty good bet Billy was the pick all along. Lazor said, they left their meeting with Price with the feeling, he was their guy!!
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 01:21 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: For the millionth time he’ll be ready by camp. No need to waste a pick on another Center.

Possibly even participate OTAs in a limited capacity.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 01:28 PM)fozzie11 Wrote: jeez I remember when we had the 12th pick and Price was getting mocked to us at 12 (pre-injury obviously) and now people are mad we got him  at 21 with cordy glenn. I get that some people had "their guy" and most of the time it was ragnow or daniels, but i never wanted daniels and ragnow wasn't even considered a first rounder until like 2 weeks ago

I agree, I was one of those who mocked Price at 12.  Sure, that was before the partial pec tear, but I was staunch in my opinion of him being worthy of 1st round selection. I'm absolutely elated with the pick at 21. I think for what the Bengals had been lacking at the Center position, Price fits the Bengals the best. A power man with a nasty streak.

As for Ragnow, before his ankle injury, he was the consensus pick as the best Center coming out this year.  The only reason he didn't shoot back up sooner, is because he wasn't ready to perform at the combine.  When he killed it at his Pro Day, he proved to everyone that he was 100%, and thus worthy to reclaim his position as the top Center prospect.  Now, I don't watch a lot of Arkansas football, but I have studied a little bit of game tape on Ragnow.  The guy is worthy.  He's got length like a Tackle, with the stout anchor of a Guard.  He's completely well rounded, and wow, can that guy get downfield to lay a block on a screen pass..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
You know people are funny. A lot of mock drafts had Price going to the Patriots late in the first, and Ragnow going to the Bengals at 46. If the Lions would have taken Price at 20 and the Bengals "jumped" on Ragnow at 21 people would have been crying and moaning we had to settle for a guy we could have had at 46. Heard on 700 WLW this morning that the Bengals had Ragnow and Price in a dead heat on their board with the slightest of edges going to Ragnow.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2018, 11:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Welcome to the Bengals, Billy Price!

Great pick, this pick really reiterates the change going on around here.

To put value on the Center position like this is bigger than any of us can imagine. Dalton will be able to step into a
pocket for once, Mixon and Gio will have holes to run through and our Defense will be fresh and will be able to play
to the best of their ability unlike last year.

Price is the best run blocking Center in this Draft, now we are sitting pretty and can go BPA. Love this pick.

My favorite Draft memory now, even over my guy Billings.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 02:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great pick, this pick really reiterates the change going on around here.

To put value on the Center position like this is bigger than any of us can imagine. Dalton will be able to step into a
pocket for once, Mixon and Gio will have holes to run through and our Defense will be fresh and will be able to play
to the best of their ability unlike last year.

Price is the best run blocking Center in this Draft, now we are sitting pretty and can go BPA. Love this pick.

My favorite Draft memory now, even over my guy Billings.

I'm still basking in the afterglow of that pick.  I have to say, this improbable run of smart moves by the team this offseason is nice getting used to.  In the past few months we've went from being numb and depressed with the Marvin Lewis extension, to celebrating all of the much needed coaching changes, to the unlikely action in free agency where the Bengals addressed  extreme fundamental needs without losing anything, to now going clear back to their original roots by drafting a Center in the 1st round.

Who are these people running the team?  What have they done with the Mike Brown that we all used to enjoy making fun of?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 01:33 PM)sandwedge Wrote: After listening to Lazor and Pollack's conference, it's a pretty good bet Billy was the pick all along. Lazor said, they left their meeting with Price with the feeling, he was their guy!!

Yes, I got that impression too.

Also - really liked the first thing Coach Pollack said of Price's key attributes - 'anchor'.

How long is it since the line has had that? It'll be great having someone securing the pocket and not being pushed back into AD's lap (not to mention it'll reduce the number of runs stopped behind the LOS).
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 02:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm still basking in the afterglow of that pick.  I have to say, this improbable run of smart moves by the team this offseason is nice getting used to.  In the past few months we've went from being numb and depressed with the Marvin Lewis extension, to celebrating all of the much needed coaching changes, to the unlikely action in free agency where the Bengals addressed  extreme fundamental needs without losing anything, to now going clear back to their original roots by drafting a Center in the 1st round.

Who are these people running the team?  What have they done with the Mike Brown that we all used to enjoy making fun of?

It is a great question that i honestly don't care what the answer is, just keep it up whoever you are lol

I wouldn't of made any different moves than bringing in Frank Pollack, letting Lazor do his thing with the Offense,
bringing in Cordy Glenn in a trade (proven LT in the NFL) better than any Draft pick we could of got, bringing in a
great tackling MIKE in Preston Brown, a DT that has been impressive in the NFL at times in Chris Baker and then
drafting the stud Center Billy Price in the first round?

All amazing moves. I am just along for the ride now, i expect them to make the right decisions for once.
Reply/Quote
Best thing was When asked if price was excited to be a Bengal he gave a good ole fashion Stone Cold HELL YA!!!!
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 02:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is a great question that i honestly don't care what the answer is, just keep it up whoever you are lol

I wouldn't of made any different moves than bringing in Frank Pollack, letting Lazor do his thing with the Offense,
bringing in Cordy Glenn in a trade (proven LT in the NFL) better than any Draft pick we could of got, bringing in a
great tackling MIKE in Preston Brown, a DT that has been impressive in the NFL at times in Chris Baker and then
drafting the stud Center Billy Price in the first round?

All amazing moves. I am just along for the ride now, i expect them to make the right decisions for once.

That's the spooky part about all of this.  Part of me is still waiting for the boneheaded decision to happen, the one where I say to myself "Now, what in the hell did they do that for?".  Hopefully that moment never comes again.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 02:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's the spooky part about all of this.  Part of me is still waiting for the boneheaded decision to happen, the one where I say to myself "Now, what in the hell did they do that for?".  Hopefully that moment never comes again.

I honestly don't expect them to now.

What the hell is wrong with me Sunset? Shocked
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 02:48 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's the spooky part about all of this.  Part of me is still waiting for the boneheaded decision to happen, the one where I say to myself "Now, what in the hell did they do that for?".  Hopefully that moment never comes again.

Hey even if they took a project in the 2nd again ill give them the benefit of the doubt
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 02:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm still basking in the afterglow of that pick.  I have to say, this improbable run of smart moves by the team this offseason is nice getting used to.  In the past few months we've went from being numb and depressed with the Marvin Lewis extension, to celebrating all of the much needed coaching changes, to the unlikely action in free agency where the Bengals addressed  extreme fundamental needs without losing anything, to now going clear back to their original roots by drafting a Center in the 1st round.

It makes me think about where it all apparently started - the argument among the coaches we found out about at the end of season pressers where Lazor put his foot down and got Piano Man overruled and the blocking scheme changed. Ever since then the changes have picked up pace.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 03:06 PM)Joelist Wrote: It makes me think about where it all apparently started - the argument among the coaches we found out about at the end of season pressers where Lazor put his foot down and got Piano Man overruled and the blocking scheme changed. Ever since then the changes have picked up pace.

Have to love Lazor, he is doing all the right things.

Do we finally have a damn good OC?
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 03:06 PM)Joelist Wrote: It makes me think about where it all apparently started - the argument among the coaches we found out about at the end of season pressers where Lazor put his foot down and got Piano Man overruled and the blocking scheme changed. Ever since then the changes have picked up pace.

We always like to talk about player X or player Y being a "cancer" in the locker room.  With that in mind, it might be fair to say that Paul Alexander was a "cancer" to the offensive coaching room.  While the moves that have happened since that moment (the argument) might seem like sensible, no-brainers in most organizations, they're just not things that occurred when PA was in effect.

How does a team come to allow one coach, not even a HC or Coordinator, but just a position coach, to have that much influence to be able to drag an entire offense down with him?

Anyway, glad that those days are gone.  Cool

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I just wish that they would stop picking already hurt players with their first round pick.

Would love for him to show up at camp healthy and ready to go amd prove me wrong, but that makes 3 out of the last 4 years where the 1st round pick was already injured.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 03:13 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I just wish that they would stop picking already hurt players with their first round pick.

Would love for him to show up at camp healthy and ready to go amd prove me wrong, but that makes 3 out of the last 4 years where the 1st round pick was already injured.

Besides Ogbuehi, who did they draft that was already injured?  Dennard and Jackson were both injured in camp, as I remember.  Price's injury was not football related.  You don't start 55 games in college without being durable.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote