Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World Cup 2022
(12-05-2022, 12:18 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I'm battling a very sore and stiff neck so after Holland scored the second goal just before the half, I took some Advil PM and just crashed out. I woke up with 5 minutes to go down 3-1 and said "Yep. About what I expected.", rolled back to sleep and woke up from the final whistle of the Argentina vs Australia match. So, I wanted to watch the match before chiming in.

Yeesh. The USA was out coached, but also out played. Our MMA midfield finally showed the effects of giving their all in the England and Iran matches and looked tired for the first time that I've seen.

USA needs an experienced foreign coach. It's nice that we have an American that doesn't look down on MLS but the National Squad needs an upgrade in the coaching ranks. I'm not that worried about not having a pure Striker if they can continue to produce quality midfielders.

All in all, I'm proud of my boys . . . they showed that we should be worthy hosts in 2026. Winning this game might have put unneeded, additional pressure to go further in 2026.

What we need is a  capable striker; also Dest and Robinson need to  commit to doing the little things both goals vs the dutch were because they didn't mark thier guys.

Also the  criticism for Berhalter is wild. He checked every box he needed to. Owning Mexico, winning nations league and Gold Cup, making it to the World Cup, and Advancing out of group stage. 

They only reason why he getting so much crap is because he is an MLS guy.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 01:50 AM)J24 Wrote: What we need is a  capable striker; also Dest and Robinson need to  commit to doing the little things both goals vs the dutch were because they didn't mark thier guys.

Also the  criticism for Berhalter is wild. He checked every box he needed to. Owning Mexico, winning nations league and Gold Cup, making it to the World Cup, and Advancing out of group stage. 

They only reason why he getting so much crap is because he is an MLS guy.

I see what you're saying but you can score a lot with your midfielders. Look at France in 1998. And having a striker isn't going to matter if 75% of the crosses sent in are blocked by the first defender. That was probably my biggest negative taken away from this World Cup other than Berhalter's roster decisions and mostly ineffective substitutions. American coaches are tactically behind most European and South American coaches. I'm a HUGE supporter of MLS and love how far they've come, but our coaching is still in it's infancy.

I know this has nothing to do with what you are saying, but, this conversation/comparison has gone on for years on the soccer boards and it's the same situation with our announcers. There hasn't been much of a chance for American ex-players to coach in intense, high level matches or call matches on TV. There's no legendary American coach to compare them to and there's no great American announcer for the young upstarts to emulate. It's still in the early stages of building the infrastructure for each craft, coaching and announcing.

That's why we still hire so many British announcers for the World Cup. Neither the coaching trees or the announcing profession has had a chance to evolve up to a world level at this point. John Strong was a Portland Timbers fan that got involved with the Timbers TV crew and worked his way up to lead announcer because this country has very few quality announcers. Shortly after, he's was hired by Fox to be the voice of American soccer ever since. He's the first upstart to come out of MLS that's not part of the old guard of announcers(JP Dellacamera, Glenn Davis, etc).

Jesse Marsch is interesting as possible Manager, but he's supposedly not interested in the job, and I hope that's not just an opening negotiation statement. I've heard Roberto Martinez mentioned and I like that idea. A lot. He's done well with merely OK clubs in the English Premiership long before he coached Belgium.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 04:38 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I know this has nothing to do with what you are saying, but, this conversation/comparison has gone on for years on the soccer boards and it's the same situation with our announcers. There hasn't been much of a chance for American ex-players to coach in intense, high level matches or call matches on TV. There's no legendary American coach to compare them to and there's no great American announcer for the young upstarts to emulate. It's still in the early stages of building the infrastructure for each craft, coaching and announcing.

That's why we still hire so many British announcers for the World Cup...

I get that he's doing his best, but Donovan is not a good color commentator. A shame to pair him with Ian Darke. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2022, 04:38 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I see what you're saying but you can score a lot with your midfielders. Look at France in 1998. And having a striker isn't going to matter if 75% of the crosses sent in are blocked by the first defender. That was probably my biggest negative taken away from this World Cup other than Berhalter's roster decisions and mostly ineffective substitutions. American coaches are tactically behind most European and South American coaches. I'm a HUGE supporter of MLS and love how far they've come, but our coaching is still in it's infancy.

I know this has nothing to do with what you are saying, but, this conversation/comparison has gone on for years on the soccer boards and it's the same situation with our announcers. There hasn't been much of a chance for American ex-players to coach in intense, high level matches or call matches on TV. There's no legendary American coach to compare them to and there's no great American announcer for the young upstarts to emulate. It's still in the early stages of building the infrastructure for each craft, coaching and announcing.

That's why we still hire so many British announcers for the World Cup. Neither the coaching trees or the announcing profession has had a chance to evolve up to a world level at this point. John Strong was a Portland Timbers fan that got involved with the Timbers TV crew and worked his way up to lead announcer because this country has very few quality announcers. Shortly after, he's was hired by Fox to be the voice of American soccer ever since. He's the first upstart to come out of MLS that's not part of the old guard of announcers(JP Dellacamera, Glenn Davis, etc).

Jesse Marsch is interesting as possible Manager, but he's supposedly not interested in the job, and I hope that's not just an opening negotiation statement. I've heard Roberto Martinez mentioned and I like that idea. A lot. He's done well with merely OK clubs in the English Premiership long before he coached Belgium.

Please please PLEASE take Marsch, he plays the same system your current manager does but the guy in charge at the moment gets better results.

I really don’t think there should be a big inquest in to your tournament you had a good run but until you find a proper number 9 who can finish half chances I don’t think it matters who you have in charge.

Today will be a tough game for us but can see us winning in extra time.
Reply/Quote
Still there !

Allez la France !!

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
France are too good. A real embarrassment of riches from this generation. It's the World Cup and anything can happen (just ask Brazil), but we very may well have a repeat for the first time in a long time.

Best of luck the rest of the way Arturo!
Reply/Quote
Not to sound like a chiefs fan but the ref ****** us, Southgate will leave now and I’m ok with it the best attacking players in a generation and we go out in the quarter finals again blown a golden opportunity.

Think the Argies will win it now to cement Messi’s legacy as the best to ever do it.
Reply/Quote
How did the ref spoiled you ? You had 2 penalties ... The litigious one at the start of the game was outside the box ...

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
If there has been anything consistent about the quarterfinals, it's been complaints about the officiating. LOL
Reply/Quote
As usual but I can't say I only watched one.

Reply/Quote
Despite the Brazil v Argentina rivalry, there was a small part of me that would not have minded seeing Messi win the World Cup. However, the behavior in the Argentina v Netherlands game was just ugly, and Uruguay and Argentina brought some of the worst qualities of South American soccer to the World Cup.
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2022, 12:00 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: Not to sound like a chiefs fan but the ref ****** us, Southgate will leave now and I’m ok with it the best attacking players in a generation and we go out in the quarter finals again blown a golden opportunity.

Think the Argies will win it now to cement Messi’s legacy as the best to ever do it.

Some of the calls seemed questionable but it wasn't exactly easy to sort out with the extreme bias we got from the commentators lol.  

Ultimately, Kane has to make that PK.  

I've hitched myself to the Messi bandwagon...but really I would just like to see anyone but France win.  
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
Still there !

Allez la France !!!

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2022, 05:55 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Still there !

Allez la France !!!

Congratulations.

I will root for them in the finals now and it's only because of you.
Reply/Quote
Terrible showing so far ! We better show up during the 2nd half.

Not finished yet.

Allez la France.

Reply/Quote
Never a penalty in a million years but after the treatment we got from the refs in the quarter final karma is a *****.

I’ll be pleased to see Messi win it and more importantly Marcelo Bielsa will be happy which is all I care about LOL
Reply/Quote
2-2 game is on !!

Allez la France.

Reply/Quote
This game is freaking nuts. It's a shame either team has to lose this.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
What a final.

Both teams somehow deserve to both win and lose this game. Holy smokes.
Reply/Quote
Well, penalty shoutout is a lottery.

Congrats to both teams.

See you in 4 years.

That was a great game.

Allez la France.

Reply/Quote