Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worley to 53, Jefferson to IR
(12-19-2018, 10:00 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: It is way too early. He was a project when drafted. I wouldn't be comfortable calling him a bust until the 2020 season.

Ideally, we draft a LB ready to play in the first or second round this coming draft.

How many project guys do we draft that actually turn out well?

Maybe one here and there I suppose, but the numbers are pretty low. Then, when they do turn out...they generally leave when their contract is up.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2018, 11:31 PM)Wyche Wrote: Not familiar with the Worley kid at all....but man, ANOTHER player on IR? Hits just keep coming.

we don't half ass things round here

how many is that this year so far? 15?
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2018, 11:00 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: we don't half ass things round here

how many is that this year so far? 15?

Hell brother, I can't keep up with them all.....I had forgotten about Shreck until Synric mentioned him in another thread.  If it's not 15, it's damn close to it.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2018, 11:09 AM)Wyche Wrote: Hell brother, I can't keep up with them all.....I had forgotten about Shreck until Synric mentioned him in another thread.  If it's not 15, it's damn close to it.

I guessed right he was #15

He joins a long list of players with season-ending injuries:
Jefferson,
QB Andy Dalton (thumb),
WR A.J. Green (toe),
LB Preston Brown (knee),
OL Jake Fischer (back),
DL Adolphus Washington (knee), 
 Josh Tupou (pectoral),
DL Ryan Glascow (knee),
 DB Trayvon Henderson (arm),
TE Mason Schreck (knee),
TE Tyler Eifert (ankle),
TE Tyler Kroft (foot),
TE Cethan Carter (shoulder),
DL Carl Lawson (knee),
OL Rod Taylor (knee). 
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2018, 11:12 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: I guessed right he was #15

He joins a long list of players with season-ending injuries:
Jefferson,
QB Andy Dalton (thumb),
WR A.J. Green (toe),
LB Preston Brown (knee),
OL Jake Fischer (back),
DL Adolphus Washington (knee), 
 Josh Tupou (pectoral),
DL Ryan Glascow (knee),
 DB Trayvon Henderson (arm),
TE Mason Schreck (knee),
TE Tyler Eifert (ankle),
TE Tyler Kroft (foot),
TE Cethan Carter (shoulder),
DL Carl Lawson (knee),
OL Rod Taylor (knee). 

Damn.....look at those TEs!  For an offense that was going to feature the TE, that's a hard lick to take.

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2018, 11:13 AM)Wyche Wrote: Damn.....look at those TEs!  For an offense that was going to feature the TE, that's a hard lick to take.

heck we have hubbard playing FB too might as well get him a TD before seasons end
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2018, 10:27 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He was a decent OLB in college, good speed and able to make tackles in space.  I think he finished his college career with about a dozen pass breakups, at least as many tackles for loss, and a handful of sacks.

Lap clearly wants to see the guy play.   But he is slow, which is what is keeping him on the PS.

Lap also weighed in on Westerman on Monday night.    Said he is a beast when moving north and south, but has poor lateral ability.  So that is probably why he has not started anywhere.

But you have to think he quitted himself well enough in game time situations to give him at least as much a look as Redmond.

Hope he lights it up!
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2018, 10:00 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: It is way too early. He was a project when drafted. I wouldn't be comfortable calling him a bust until the 2020 season.

Ideally, we draft a LB ready to play in the first or second round this coming draft.

But it is NOT too early to call Merv and Haslett busts...
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2018, 10:26 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't agree that he was a "project," but he did have some weaknesses. Specifically, it was reported that he lacked instincts and aggressive attitude. He still put up 110 tackles, 10 TFLs, and 4 sacks in his final year at Texas. He might be better as a see-and-chase LB given his good speed and athleticism. The selection of Jefferson is interesting though in that the Bengals have typically prioritized LBs with great instincts in the draft. Perhaps Jefferson was a suggestion from Austin, who seemed to value athleticism and speed.

I think Jefferson was a selection made as kind of a rebuke to Paul Dawson.

One is extremely athletically gifted but not very instinctual.

One was supremely instinctual but not very athletically gifted.

Turns out neither formula works... You kinda need both...
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2018, 10:26 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't agree that he was a "project," but he did have some weaknesses. Specifically, it was reported that he lacked instincts and aggressive attitude. He still put up 110 tackles, 10 TFLs, and 4 sacks in his final year at Texas. He might be better as a see-and-chase LB given his good speed and athleticism. The selection of Jefferson is interesting though in that the Bengals have typically prioritized LBs with great instincts in the draft. Perhaps Jefferson was a suggestion from Austin, who seemed to value athleticism and speed.

The Bengals came out and said he was a project when they drafted him. That pretty much makes him a project. Way to early to be putting the bust label on the kid, he needs a year or 2.....
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2018, 11:09 AM)Wyche Wrote: Hell brother, I can't keep up with them all.....I had forgotten about Shreck until Synric mentioned him in another thread.  If it's not 15, it's damn close to it.

Our turn this year. Seems like last year it was the Ravens with half their team on IR. Hopefully, next year is Pitts turn....
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2018, 12:42 PM)Sled21 Wrote: The Bengals came out and said he was a project when they drafted him. That pretty much makes him a project. Way to early to be putting the bust label on the kid, he needs a year or 2.....

I don't recall them saying this, must have missed that. Regardless, I don't fully agree with everything the Bengals say or do not say. I didn't think he was that much of a project. 
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2018, 12:42 PM)Sled21 Wrote: The Bengals came out and said he was a project when they drafted him. That pretty much makes him a project. Way to early to be putting the bust label on the kid, he needs a year or 2.....

right he was a very atheletic but raw prospect if I remember right

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/malik-jefferson?id=32462018-0002-5601-7169-57484f480eff
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2018, 11:42 AM)3wt Wrote: Lap clearly wants to see the guy play.   But he is slow, which is what is keeping him on the PS.

Lap also weighed in on Westerman on Monday night.    Said he is a beast when moving north and south, but has poor lateral ability.  So that is probably why he has not started anywhere.

But you have to think he quitted himself well enough in game time situations to give him at least as much a look as Redmond.

Hope he lights it up!

Slowness has never stopped the Bengals from playing certain LBs before...
I thought I actually read/heard somewhere the Bengals have the slowest LB group?

As for Westerman, they need a guy who can push from north to south, specifically at RG. This team is too focused on lateral rather than vertical. No actual drive off the ball.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Honestly I think Malik Jefferson was a reflex pick after the Steelers traded up just ahead of the Bengals and took Mason Rudolph.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
This almost seems like a record year injury wise for this team and that is saying something.

I liked getting Worley as an UDFA, smart MIKE backer, thought he would be much better than Nickerson who has
been pretty terrible even though he made a play here and there. He cannot cover or tackle worth a damn.

Sucks for Malik, wanted to see much more of him especially with such terrible LB play this year.

Need a new LB coach is what i just have to keep saying.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2018, 12:45 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Our turn this year. Seems like last year it was the Ravens with half their team on IR. Hopefully, next year is Pitts turn....

That shit never seems to happen does it?

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2018, 04:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This almost seems like a record year injury wise for this team and that is saying something.

I liked getting Worley as an UDFA, smart MIKE backer, thought he would be much better than Nickerson who has
been pretty terrible even though he made a play here and there. He cannot cover or tackle worth a damn.

Sucks for Malik, wanted to see much more of him especially with such terrible LB play this year.

Need a new LB coach is what i just have to keep saying.

Pretty sure that Worley is a SAM backer, rather than MIKE.  But, I wouldn't expect to see much from him, other than STs duty.  You know how Marvin rolls, he'll play the guys that he favors, until they can't walk anymore.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
this is the most buckeyes ive seen on the roster that I can remember. (maybe not all at the same time but still)
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2018, 03:38 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Slowness has never stopped the Bengals from playing certain LBs before...
I thought I actually read/heard somewhere the Bengals have the slowest LB group?

As for Westerman, they need a guy who can push from north to south, specifically at RG. This team is too focused on lateral rather than vertical. No actual drive off the ball.

And it shows.  Nickerson is smart but slow as molasses.   I had heard that they liked Worley, but then started hearing that, though they still like him, he's slow.

Marvin loves Nickerson because he's always where he's supposed to be.   But he doesn't get there on time and misses a lot of tackles.

I don't think Worley even makes the field (except special teams) unless someone else gets injured.   So I doubt we'll even get any legitimate evaluation of how he plays against starting NFL players.
Reply/Quote