Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Worried About Burrow
I'm a lifelong fan of our beloved Bengals. But, I am sincerely worried about the health of Joe Burrow. We were handed a gift from the football Gods in Burrow and we are going break him. He is going to break Derek Carr's single season record for being sacked, if he makes it that long. Houston broke Carr. Cleveland broke Tim Couch. However, with Couch and Carr, they were on expansion teams. The Bengals have had more than ample time to fix this line. I'm afraid that we are breaking Joe or have already. Our "offensive" line is giving me a heart attack watching from stands. I can't imagine what it is doing to Burrow. As a fan, I don't have an answer, play a better blocking RB, Quicker release from Joe, better play calling from Zac, play the rookies on O-line (they cant be much worse), or sit Joe for a few more games until he is truly 100% and hopefully the line improves? I say sit him because he is truly a pocket passer right now with little to no mobility, it seems obvious that he is very protective of his knee. I would like to fire Zac, but who wants to come? I doubt Bienemy or Brady would want to come to Cincy?

Sorry to vent just worried about "the franchise". I am the eternal optimist. The 49'ers broke my heart twice and the Steelers really got me in 2015, but being a lifelong Bengal fan is about to "break" me. Lol. Pick me up guys, make me feel better. Perhaps I'm just hungover after watching such a terribly planned Bears game. Who Dey!!
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote
Between Carr and Luck, we see Burrow's future if things continue (which there is no reason to think they won't this season).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
After watching him repeatedly get beat down how could we not be worried. If it keeps up at this rate he won't last the year.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 11:20 AM)Boomer Anderson Wrote: I'm a lifelong fan of our beloved Bengals.  But, I am sincerely worried about the health of Joe Burrow.  We were handed a gift from the football Gods in Burrow and we are going break him.  He is going to break Derek Carr's single season record for being sacked, if he makes it that long.  Houston broke Carr.  Cleveland broke Tim Couch.  However, with Couch and Carr, they were on expansion teams.  The Bengals have had more than ample time to fix this line.  I'm afraid that we are breaking Joe or have already.  Our "offensive" line is giving me a heart attack watching from stands.  I can't imagine what it is doing to Burrow.  As a fan, I don't have have an answer, play a better blocking RB, Quicker release from Joe, better play calling from Zac, play the rookies on O-line (they cant be much worse), or sit Joe for a few more games until he is truly 100% and hopefully the line improves?  I say sit him because he is truly a pocket passer right now with little to no mobility, it seems obvious that he is very protective of his knee.  I would like to fire Zac, but who wants to come?  I doubt Bienemy or Brady would want to come to Cincy?

Sorry to vent just worried about "the franchise".  I am the eternal optimist.  The 49'ers broke my heart twice and the Steelers really got me in 2015, but being a lifelong Bengal fan is about to "break" me.  Lol.  Pick me up guys, make me feel better.  Perhaps I'm just hungover after watching such a terribly planned Bears game.  Who Dey!!

I've been a Bengals fan since 1982 so I've seen the good (2 Super Bowls) and the bad "the Lost Decade" and the "Lost last 5 Years".  

I love my Bengals, but as I've gotten older and realized the Bengals don't do anything to improve the team for me as a fan why should I invest so much of my time with them.  

Honestly, i love Burrow, however, facts being facts if he's not the messiah that many think he is then in 2  years let him walk after his rookie contract because if this current coaching staff is still around we'll still be picking in the top 5 of the NFL draft. 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 11:58 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: After watching him repeatedly get beat down how could we not be worried. If it keeps up at this rate he won't last the year.

If Burrow gets hurt this year it's going to be a bad look.  Elizabeth Blackburn is going to be scrambling to come up with ways to convince people to come watch Brandon Allen.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 12:10 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If Burrow gets hurt this year it's going to be a bad look.  Elizabeth Blackburn is going to be scrambling to come up with ways to convince people to come watch Brandon Allen.

She could sttick with its a NEW DEY in Cincinnati....because we have a New QB 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 12:13 PM)TJ528 Wrote: She could sttick with its a NEW DEY in Cincinnati....because we have a New QB 

Actually, he'd likely be in the running for starting the most games at QB in the Burrow era if things go bad.  That ain't new.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 12:13 PM)TJ528 Wrote: She could sttick with its a NEW DEY in Cincinnati....because we have a New QB 

Cam Newton anyone? its just a matter of time b4 Joe gets knocked out again and he would bring another element to the QB capabilities 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 12:16 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Cam Newton anyone? its just a matter of time b4 Joe gets knocked out again and he would bring another element to the QB capabilities 

He'd bring the new element of covid in the the QB room.
Reply/Quote
Big no on Scam Newton....
Reply/Quote
Yesterday was the first time I remember seeing Burrow crumple up, like Andy Dalton use to, before getting hit. He's now hearing footsteps and it's affecting his ability to look down field. Sad. Sad
Reply/Quote

(Deja) Vu Dey. Trade for Dalton.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
The terrible play this weekend had little to do with Burrow and everything to do with a terrible OL. Two years in the offseason the front office overvalued their terrible OL and instead focused on DL (replacing Geno and Dunlap)...and boy did they ever. Two biggest FA signings last two years have been DL. More draft picks this year went to DL/OLB than OL.

Gift from the football gods is right...that's what we got in that Ohio kid. And we are on the path of destroying him/ him getting Bungled.

This isn't 4D chess. It isn't even stunts off the edges. It's the A and B gap. Our interior OL. It's not Burrow...although maybe he's not 100%. It's not the 'scheme.' Burrow said after the game they were sitting/jumping his routes cause they knew he wouldn't have time to throw it. I dont even think it's Zac. The FO needs to go. It's simple. Burrow needs people to block.

Steelers next week. With or without TJ...how many sacks do you think they'll get on Burrow? 3? 5? 10?

Not a pessimist, a realist. They need to make moves NOW. Can the Bengals afford three stud WRs AND a top 5 paid RB? What C or G could we get for Boyd. (I love Boyd by the way...but we need to improve that line.)
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 01:02 PM)TrenchWarfare Wrote: The terrible play this weekend had little to do with Burrow and everything to do with a terrible OL. Two years in the offseason the front office overvalued their terrible OL and instead focused on DL (replacing Geno and Dunlap)...and boy did they ever. Two biggest FA signings last two years have been DL. More draft picks this year went to DL/OLB than OL.

Gift from the football gods is right...that's what we got in that Ohio kid. And we are on the path of destroying him/ him getting Bungled.

This isn't 4D chess. It isn't even stunts off the edges. It's the A and B gap. Our interior OL. It's not Burrow...although maybe he's not 100%. It's not the 'scheme.' Burrow said after the game they were sitting/jumping his routes cause they knew he wouldn't have time to throw it. I dont even think it's Zac. The FO needs to go. It's simple. Burrow needs people to block.

Steelers next week. With or without TJ...how many sacks do you think they'll get on Burrow? 3? 5? 10?

Not a pessimist, a realist. They need to make moves NOW. Can the Bengals afford three stud WRs AND a top 5 paid RB? What C or G could we get for Boyd. (I love Boyd by the way...but we need to improve that line.)

Great post.
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote
If I'm the GM of the Bengals ( not Tobin my God! ) - I sit Burrow out again this year, at least until he's fully recovered from his 2020 torn knee ligaments injury which takes on average a full year to recover from. Sit him out till November 2021 at least and then take at least 3 maybe 4 offensive linemen in the 2022 draft or cough up the $ M&K Brown and get the best available ones in free agency.
I'm not confident that the Bengals organization will make those moves, and yes - they need to take away the play calling from ZT immediately at the very least. He's not qualified at a NFL level to do it
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 11:20 AM)Boomer Anderson Wrote: I'm a lifelong fan of our beloved Bengals.  But, I am sincerely worried about the health of Joe Burrow.  We were handed a gift from the football Gods in Burrow and we are going break him.  He is going to break Derek Carr's single season record for being sacked, if he makes it that long.  Houston broke Carr.  Cleveland broke Tim Couch.  However, with Couch and Carr, they were on expansion teams.  The Bengals have had more than ample time to fix this line.  I'm afraid that we are breaking Joe or have already.  Our "offensive" line is giving me a heart attack watching from stands.  I can't imagine what it is doing to Burrow.  As a fan, I don't  have an answer, play a better blocking RB, Quicker release from Joe, better play calling from Zac, play the rookies on O-line (they cant be much worse), or sit Joe for a few more games until he is truly 100% and hopefully the line improves?  I say sit him because he is truly a pocket passer right now with little to no mobility, it seems obvious that he is very protective of his knee.  I would like to fire Zac, but who wants to come?  I doubt Bienemy or Brady would want to come to Cincy?

Sorry to vent just worried about "the franchise".  I am the eternal optimist.  The 49'ers broke my heart twice and the Steelers really got me in 2015, but being a lifelong Bengal fan is about to "break" me.  Lol.  Pick me up guys, make me feel better.  Perhaps I'm just hungover after watching such a terribly planned Bears game.  Who Dey!!
Sure a concern with sacks and pressures but other top QBs drafted by bad teams have had to overcome adversity,  also college games and  performance is the past.. this is a different level .. Burrow needs to show he can adjust to the pro game himself now..plus his lack of mobility is not going to help with a subpar line
Reply/Quote
It appears the Bengals are on the verge of ruining another Quarterback.Remember the David Klingler and Akili Smith days? They’ve done a pretty good job of it so far.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 09:44 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: It appears the Bengals are on the verge of ruining another Quarterback.Remember the David Klingler and Akili Smith days? They’ve done a pretty good job of it so far.

I don't know if I'd make that comparison. Didn't Akili have some issues learning the playbook?
Reply/Quote
Wow, you guys seem a bit overly dramatic here lol

Burrow has done a bit of this himself. He is the one who calls audibles, he was the one that panicked (like Dalton did) and
just fell down allowing himself to be sacked multiple times. The RB's sucked at picking up the blitz and Hopkins needs to be
replaced before these things get Burrow hurt. The OL has been average which is much better than last year. Hopkins is just
coming off injury and clearly isn't ready mentally or physically right now.

Sewell played bad in his first game and sure wouldn't of been the answer at this time. Chase has played very well on the
other hand. Sure I wanted Linsley at Center this Offseason and this seems to have been the big mistake.

I am worried about Burrow myself and much of it is on his mental state at this time and his bad decision making. But I
think he will study up and get his game down again. It is just taking some time and glad this happened honestly so the
entire Offense, him including can learn from it. Put Trey Hill in at Center, Carman in at RG and things could turn around in
a great way.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2021, 09:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sewell played bad in his first game and sure wouldn't of been the answer at this time. Chase has played very well on the
other hand. Sure I wanted Linsley at Center this Offseason and this seems to have been the big mistake.

Not really wanting to go down this route, but Sewell had a pretty solid first game, certainly not bad, just to clarify.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021/9/13/22671859/penei-sewell-not-pleased-impressive-nfl-debut-nick-bosa-win-every-rep

Quote:He responded the exact kind of way you’d hope a top-10 pick would. Lions quarterback Jared Goff had to drop back 60 times in Sunday’s shootout, and PFF credit Sewell with... zero allowed sacks. On the stat sheet, Bosa had one sack and just two quarterback hits. PFF graded Sewell out as a top-10 offensive tackle in Week 1 (MNF permitting) with a solid 75.6 overall grade, even after allowing six pressures.

6 pressures isn't so great but zero sacks allowed in 60 pass attempts and everyone here quotes PFF as an important source.   So anyway just wanted to point that out.  

But to clarify I'm fine with Chase and pleased to see he has been playing well.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote