Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Worried About Burrow
(09-21-2021, 11:14 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Joe Burrow has to play like a hero on every snap to overcome bad play calling and inconsistent offensive line play.  This is too much to ask of any player, period.  Not even Tom Brady could succeed under the current conditions under which the Bengals’ offense operates.  Right now the Bengals are averaging 22 points per game and the defense is allowing 18.5 points per game; on most teams this would mean 2-0 but interceptions and fumbles are ruining scoring drives.  

Those interceptions are on Joe himself but also on Zac Taylor who called the worst game I’ve ever seen with respect to offense.  The Bears’ secondary was waiting at the end of each route and Zac never changed his strategy.  He kept calling predictable pass plays over and over and it’s a miracle Joe wasn’t picked off more than three times.

Wow this is getting a bit over the top, I guess we must put Burtow in a bubble for him to succeed,  or we are trying to find excuses if he does not succeed, other QBs have faced sacks and pressures and overcome. I understand he has had a strong amount of pressure that has hindered his evaluation as a QB but somw blame rests fall on young qbs as they learn position. in the end, if Burrow is elite it will show through that is what elite QBs do, they overcome
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm worried about Burrow getting hit too much as well. He's on pace to be hit and sacked more times than last year. The difference Ive seen this year so far is that its not ALL blatantly on the OL. The RB's are missing, Burrow is definitely still getting his mental game back, play design has played a role, etc. This is fixable. I'm not impressed with XSF, or Hopkins either really. I dont know how far our rookies are along, but I think the future is bright with Carmen. I think he can and will be better than XSF.

I think Zac needs to open it up and let this offense be high powered. Look, I was an OL guy in round 1. Sewell? No. I wanted to trade back for Slater, who is looking like a pro bowler so far. But guess what, so is Chase. How long has it been since we had a WR catch 2 long bomb TD's two games in a row?

Things will get better. They have to. I'm worried about Burrow too, but I think the team will rally up and some adjustments will be made, and we will be fine. I am a big on building the trenches, but after two long bombs that we've been missing for waaay too long now, I got one thing to say...

[Image: 6163K0M5PGS._AC_UX679_.jpg]

I'll be wearing this at one of the games this season. Got my tickets and I'm very excited to make the road trip to support this team and help rule the jungle. That's all Big Grin
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2021, 09:11 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I'm worried about Burrow getting hit too much as well. He's on pace to be hit and sacked more times than last year. The difference Ive seen this year so far is that its not ALL blatantly on the OL. The RB's are missing, Burrow is definitely still getting his mental game back, play design has played a role, etc. This is fixable. I'm not impressed with XSF, or Hopkins either really. I dont know how far our rookies are along, but I think the future is bright with Carmen. I think he can and will be better than XSF.

I think Zac needs to open it up and let this offense be high powered. Look, I was an OL guy in round 1. Sewell? No. I wanted to trade back for Slater, who is looking like a pro bowler so far. But guess what, so is Chase. How long has it been since we had a WR catch 2 long bomb TD's two games in a row?

Things will get better. They have to. I'm worried about Burrow too, but I think the team will rally up and some adjustments will be made, and we will be fine. I am a big on building the trenches, but after two long bombs that we've been missing for waaay too long now, I got one thing to say...

I'll be wearing this at one of the games this season. Got my tickets and I'm very excited to make the road trip to support this team and help rule the jungle. That's all :

Great post. Love it. I am an optimist. Things will be better. I wanted Slater or Chase. I was 50/50 on the pick. Chase is awesome so we can’t complain there but Football can be compared to building a house. You have to start with the foundation before the roof. In football the trenches are the foundation. Give the young guys a try on the line. Who Dey.
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2021, 09:33 AM)TrenchWarfare Wrote: They haven't done enough. OL makes up (roughly) 20% of the roster, larger than any other unit. We knew the last two off seasons we had the worst in the NFL.

I know they did not look good.  I agree they were very bad.  But they probably were not the clear cut worst in the league.  Last year 7 teams had a higher sack percentage than the Bengals and 7 teams had a lower average yards per carry in the run game.

It is not an exact measure, but based on combining those two stats Washington had the worst O-line last year and the Falcons, Texans, and Lions were as bad as the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2021, 12:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I know they did not look good.  I agree they were very bad.  But they probably were not the clear cut worst in the league.  Last year 7 teams had a higher sack percentage than the Bengals and 7 teams had a lower average yards per carry in the run game.

It is not an exact measure, but based on combining those two stats Washington had the worst O-line last year and the Falcons, Texans, and Lions were as bad as the Bengals.

Love your quote. Unforgiven is awesome.
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2021, 08:30 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Wow this is getting a bit over the top, I guess we must put Burtow in a bubble for him to succeed,  or we are trying to find excuses if he does not succeed, other QBs have faced sacks and pressures and overcome. I understand he has had a strong amount of pressure that has hindered his evaluation as a QB  but somw blame rests fall on young qbs as they learn position. in the end, if Burrow is elite it will show through that is what elite QBs do, they overcome

Yes and as Fred shown there are like 9 QB's inluding Brady that have been hit and pressured more than Burrow.

The sack number is skewed cause of poor blocking from Hop, the RB's on blitz pickup and TE's having to block Ends which 
should not be happening. This should clean up as the year goes on with either Hop getting back to his old self or Trey Hill 
starting if he doesn't. Putting Evans in if Perine continues to struggle on blitz pick and using the TE's to chip instead of to 
block Ends 1 on 1.

Burrow will calm down, right now he is mentally trying to adjust. Glad this Bears game happened early in the year.

(09-22-2021, 09:11 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I'm worried about Burrow getting hit too much as well. He's on pace to be hit and sacked more times than last year. The difference Ive seen this year so far is that its not ALL blatantly on the OL. The RB's are missing, Burrow is definitely still getting his mental game back, play design has played a role, etc. This is fixable. I'm not impressed with XSF, or Hopkins either really. I dont know how far our rookies are along, but I think the future is bright with Carmen. I think he can and will be better than XSF.

I'll be wearing this at one of the games this season. Got my tickets and I'm very excited to make the road trip to support this team and help rule the jungle. That's all Big Grin

Awesome post Bengaloo. Agree with everything you said. The problems are all fixable and Chase was a great pick as he is 
showing. Dude is just a natural with the ball in the air and can adjust to balls easily with his smoothness and overall ability. 

Cool shirt. Cool
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2021, 02:07 PM)Boomer Anderson Wrote: Love your quote. Unforgiven is awesome.

My daughter is a big film buff.  She does not care for westerns, but even she like Unforgiven.  
Reply/Quote
So, I’ve been doing some statistical analysis today and found some interesting stuff that I wanted to share. I ran two regressions; pocket time/pressure rate and ESPNs pass block win rate/pressure rate. This pass block win rate is supposed to be a statistic that paints a picture of which offensive lines are holding up for at least 2.5s, counted as win. Pocket time is the amount of time a QB has before he throws the ball or pressure comes to him.

From my regressions, I actually found a stronger relationship between pocket time/pressure than PBWR/pressure. This isn’t anything groundbreaking, PFF actually did some analysis that found something similar. What this suggests, however, is that pressure and sacks are more QB controlled than most believe. What this doesn’t suggest is that offensive lines don’t matter; they certainly do. However, the QB also matters and the onus is on him to not hold on to the ball.

This isn’t an end all be all, but I found it interesting and wanted to share, given the context of the conversation.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2021, 02:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: My daughter is a big film buff.  She does not care for westerns, but even she like Unforgiven.  

Well don't waste your time with "Cry Macho".... it's another Bridges of Madison County
Reply/Quote