Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would Hue as OC and Paulie G as HC work?
Jim O told us months ago to not be so sure that the next coach will come from within the organization. I'll take his word for it. I fully expect the next HC to be an outside hire... For now
Reply/Quote
I personally don't want either to be head coach.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 02:44 PM)Synric Wrote: It looked like Ben was in the twilight of his career under Bruce Arians

Meh, the Steelers were coming of two 12-win seasons, a SB win and were knocked out of the playoffs by a Tim Tebow miracle when they fired Arians.  The Steelers followed with back to back 8-8 seasons and I recall people wanting Haley's head for the offensive decline.  I could be wrong though.

Add the fact that Arians managed to get the #1 offense and a near MVP performance out of Carson Palmer and I can't see how Arians was the issue in Pittsburgh.  Anywho, Haley was a bit of a dud as a HC and I can see why he backed off into being the OC for a winning franchise.  He's not the one to take reins of a struggling one.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 02:44 PM)Synric Wrote: I know I've mentioned this but I'll throw it out again lol. My head coach candidate is Todd Haley.

It looked like Ben was in the twilight of his career under Bruce Arians... enter Todd Haley who revitalizes Ben and the Steelers offense. All of a sudden Ben looks better than he has his entire career. On top of that offensive line and th run game see huge improvements. Because of Haley they went from a defensive dominate team to an offedive juggernaut.

Haley also already knows the AFC North because he's game planned against the Ravens, Browns, and Bengals for quite a few years....while also seeing the Steelers defense all week.

As for the Offensive  Coordinator I'd like to see them match Haley with Russ Grimm an old school offensive line coach.

I think the positives outweigh the negatives. Sure, I've heard about the abrasive personality in the past, but do we really need a "player's coach" after 15 years of Merv McLawis? Plus we'd be hurting the Steelers in the process by making them find a new OC. Not to mention, we haven't been able to beat the Steelers for the last 15 years, so having a coach who has very intimate knowledge of how they work would be beneficial.

He's not my favorite candidate, but I'd approve of a Haley hire.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 03:16 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Jim O told us months ago to not be so sure that the next coach will come from within the organization. I'll take his word for it. I fully expect the next HC to be an outside hire... For now

Jackson is technically not within the organization.
Reply/Quote
I'd be tempted to go with Chris Peterson. He built Boise State into a contender. He did the same at Washington.

He'd be coming from college so that should help him scout.

We need a guy that can come in and build a culture.
Reply/Quote
I agree with anyone who used the phrase "stink of Marvin."
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Is it possible to make an actual tiger the HC? It doesn't have to be a bengal tiger, even. I'll settle for a caspian tiger.
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown is currently 82 years old and will be 83. If the Cincinnati Bengals do bring in another head coach they have to survive five to seven years of Mike Brown's leadership and decision-making. I personally believe an outside candidate would do a better job surviving the Mike Brown regime. I prefer Josh McDaniels.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 03:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Jackson is technically not within the organization.

True... And that would be a horrible mistake IMO. 

But he's not Marv so... Meh? 
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 03:22 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, the Steelers were coming of two 12-win seasons, a SB win and were knocked out of the playoffs by a Tim Tebow miracle when they fired Arians.  The Steelers followed with back to back 8-8 seasons and I recall people wanting Haley's head for the offensive decline.  I could be wrong though.

Add the fact that Arians managed to get the #1 offense and a near MVP performance out of Carson Palmer and I can't see how Arians was the issue in Pittsburgh.  Anywho, Haley was a bit of a dud as a HC and I can see why he backed off into being the OC for a winning franchise.  He's not the one to take reins of a struggling one.

I was mostly talking about the injuries.

I don't think it's a coincidence that quarterbacks in Arians scheme are always taking big hits and getting hurt.

Concerning the Haley abrasive attitude we are talking head coach the Boss they are supposed to act like that...truthfully we could use a little more of it in Cincy
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 03:33 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: True... And that would be a horrible mistake IMO. 

But he's not Marv so... Meh? 

well at least the players seemed to love Hue when he was here
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 03:36 PM)Synric Wrote: I was mostly talking about the injuries.

I don't think it's a coincidence that quarterbacks in Arians scheme are always taking big hits and getting hurt.

Concerning the Haley abrasive attitude we are talking head coach the Boss they are supposed to act like that...truthfully we could use a little more of it in Cincy

You think an abrasive coach is going to tolerate some of the 'frugal' ways the Bengals do business?

He wasn't a good HC in KC being fired after 3 years and they had a great personnel dept.

Also...Haley hates the Bengals:
http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2016/01/08/todd-haley-steelers-bounty-bengals-wallace-gilberry-threatened-week-14/
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 02:35 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: its a catch 22...    If we don't support the franchise it will move then we wont have a franchise.

Maybe we can play Mike's game with Mike. Don't support the team for a few years, and then wait until about two to three years before his lease is up in Cincinnati and start supporting. I'm not sure if it really will backfire all that much. It's not as if Mike will make any moves simply to appease the fan base.  Regardless, I am not sure if Mike outlives the time left on the lease (and that statement is not one of wishing ill will but simply being practical).
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 02:35 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: its a catch 22...    If we don't support the franchise it will move then we wont have a franchise.

I would rather not have a franchise to root for, than to root for the current ownership/coach.

If the Bengals weren't in town, it would give me all the incentive i need to throw my interest fully into another franchise.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 03:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I like Haley as a coach...but it seems he has a very abrasive personality and does things to rub people the wrong way. Here are some examples. I don't see him co-existing with Bengals management:

Todd Haley sued for dog-sitting money
https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/todd-haley-owes-thousands-of-dollars-in-dog-sitting-fees-101213

They also allegedly backed out of a $1 million house deal and trashed the home:
http://www.wpxi.com/news/steelers-todd-haley-wife-being-sued-home-builder/289235713

They also sued McDonalds for finding a rat in the salad:
http://money.cnn.com/2006/10/27/news/newsmakers/mcdonalds_rat/

He thought the Chiefs were bugging the phones when he was there:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1026276-todd-haleys-bugging-allegations-do-claims-hurt-his-chances-of-getting-hired

https://justblogbaby.com/2011/12/12/chiefs-cut-ties-with-todd-haley/
'Known for his abrasive nature and fiery temper, I’m sure Haley did his best to insult more than enough people he crossed paths with.'

Here he is refusing to shake Josh McDaniels hand after a game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88mxKNPHkdY

Anyone that took as long as he did to coexist with a future HOF QB, can go eff off. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 04:07 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I would rather not have a franchise to root for, than to root for the current ownership/coach.

If the Bengals weren't in town, it would give me all the incentive i need to throw my interest fully into another franchise.

Yeah...revenue sharing was put in to give small market teams the ability to compete.

Unfortunately, a few franchise's still see themselves as a small market team and just use it to profit more than they would of without it.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 03:24 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd be tempted to go with Chris Peterson. He built Boise State into a contender. He did the same at Washington.

He'd be coming from college so that should help him scout.

We need a guy that can come in and build a culture.

......or James Franklin.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 12:03 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I think you just pinpointed why people jump on bandwagons rather than root for a lousy team.  Personally, I'm the kid who always rooted for Wile E. Coyote to catch the Roadrunner even though I knew he never would.  Anyways, nearly 30 years of evidence leads me to believe that our next HC will be an internal promotion, or it might be someone from outside of the organization who will cave to Mike Brown's way of doing things.

I also find it interesting that you already know Geunther will be an unfulfilling cubical jockey of a HC (he probably will be) but you seem at least somewhat OK with the clock-punching dead-eyed schlub we have as HC now.  Marvin is evidence that Mike Brown can hire a hot external prospect and beat the zest for life out of him.  So...that's my take.  We will get an internal ho-hummer, an external bum who can't get another HC gig, or a decent external candidate who will be as ruined my Mike Brown as the coaches and players who stuck around.

It's worth a shot, but aren't we all pretty sure that Marvin just stinks of the Mike Brown way?  Look how we thought we were reborn in 2011 and 6 years later we see Dalton and Green looking more like Palmer and Chad...this franchise just drains people like a bad marriage, or one of those jobs we've all had where we are told told work harder while upper management keeps giving their idiot friends and their girlfriends promotions.  Sorry, to much real-life experience banging my head against a wall here.

Where does it say that i’m okay with Marvmallow? I personally think he and his staff are the worst in the game right now. Getting less with more than anyone I’ve ever seen. But people forget that Marvin was a good coach when he came here. The Marvin today is a pathetic shell of the Marvin from 03-05. Bringing in a new coach that hasn’t been bungalized to try and win now with this core (Green, Ross, Mixon, Lawson, Atkins, Jackson, Burfict) could potentially Work.
“It’s easy for everybody to say to make that change," Lewis said last week. "But ... when that change doesn’t work out, what do you do?"

Marvin Lewis on why he refused to make a change at the kicker position.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2017, 10:22 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Trying to be realistic, I know that we aren't going to get a coach like Josh McDaniels and have him bring Matt Patricia over as his DC.  Would it be feasible for Hue to want to be an OC under Paulie?  He has a guaranteed contract under Cleveland but there is some internal strife there and he could be available.  This offense rolled in 2015 under his tutelage, and I won't hold him responsible at all for what has happened in Cleveland after stripping that team of any talent for picks and only one draft class under his belt.

Would it make more sense to have Hue as HC?  Who would run the offense?  Does he deserve that opportunity over Paulie after leaving?  He won't need crazy money to come back here, and we know everyone here likes him.

I would imagine the best possible (realistic) scenario would be for Paulie G to be HC and Hue be the OC, and fire that turd Alexander.  

Thoughts?

I don't want Paulie G - I think he's rock steady as a DC but he inherited a pretty good situation from Zim and whilst he's done a good job keeping them towards the top of defensive rankings (and he is following up on playing the younger players)  I just don't think he has enough of the 'x' factor and clout to drive real change across the whole playing squad. 

Hue :  I'm really in 2 minds about to be honest.  

I actually wanted him as HC over Marvin at the time.  He seems to have respect from both sides of the ball having worked as D assistant for a bit, plus he's got a bit of fire to him which I liked....... 

...but the Cleveland situation is tough to look past - they look like they have made no progress . Don't blame him for not getting to playoffs or anything like that but I cannot see where has improved them on the field.

even as OC it feels like that moment has passed

Reply/Quote