Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would You Like to See Joe Burrow See Preseason Snaps?
Up to him and his doctors. I don’t think it hurts to get a few live reps in but none of those heroic backyard plays until the regular season.. Just throw it away bud.
Reply/Quote
Yes, I would like to see Joe Burrow play in the preseason but every play should be a handoff or a quick bubble screen; no drop backs!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2021, 05:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The Bengals should be improved this year, but we won't be close to good enough to win any game wasting a half getting our QB practice reps.  He has to be confident and ready to go from the very first snap.

Agreed. If we are going to surprise people this year we can't do it by treating regular season games like the pre season.  Plus, people are acting like the Vikings are some easy, week off auto win. 
Reply/Quote
Obviously it hinges first and foremost on if he he ready to go injury wise.

If healthy he needs to play some to get timing and game speed back. Timing can sort of be achieved in practice but not completely when your own team is treating you with kid gloves and the O-line already knows the defenses schemes and can certainly block better in this scenario.

Would not play him a whole lot though and want him to throw ball away instead of taking sacks when possible.

Just enough to get ready.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
(07-12-2021, 05:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I rarely agree with Murdock, but he hit the nail on the nail on the head here.  Burrow has never returned from a serious injury before.

1.  He was not returning from a serious injury last year.

2.  I don't consider finishing 24th in the league in passer rating and not being able to complete a deep pass to be "playing well".

1: The injury is of no concern since he's already fully participating in practice.

2: With the schedule that he did play, having no offseason, and behind that O-line without Mixon and AJ Green looking more like Al Green coupled with how good he looked against the Titans, Browns, Colts, & WFT heading into the weakest part of the schedule... The fact that you were such a Dalton guy for so long and are now in any way down on Joey B is one of the richest things I've read on here in a while.

You're still salty that you were wrong on AD. So much so that you're dogging how impressive Burrow was last season.
Reply/Quote
Yes.Let him play a few series in the opening quarter of the last pre-season game,and no more.I would be conservative with him for sure.He may be a little nervous at first but then he’ll settle down and his competitive spirit will kick in.Joe Burrow is a very tough and extremely competitive Quarterback.Reminds me of Tom Brady, in that regard.
Reply/Quote
I’m fine with either. I want to see him fully heal to minimize the risk of re injuring the knee. If it gets reinjured and he needs it repaired again, they have to use a bigger screw to drill into the bone, it’s more stressful on the knee and the repair isn’t as strong—and it’s more likely he has issues with it. The main issue I have with my repaired acl is the knee can get fatigued from over use (lots of planting and cutting and accelerating off the joint, as well as hiking up and down large hills). Bring it back slowly and let it heal as fully as possible. And strengthen it with exercise and yoga.

That said, you want him to be ready for game action. He did do fine last year with no preseason reps, but it took him a bit to adjust to the pro game and get in a groove. I’m fine with seeing him in a few preseason drives. But I’m also fine if he sits out and just focuses on strengthening the knee and practice reps. It really all depends on how the knee feels if it’s worth it or not.
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2021, 11:16 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I’m fine with either. I want to see him fully heal to minimize the risk of re injuring the knee. If it gets reinjured and he needs it repaired again, they have to use a bigger screw to drill into the bone, it’s more stressful on the knee and the repair isn’t as strong—and it’s more likely he has issues with it. The main issue I have with my repaired acl is the knee can get fatigued from over use (lots of planting and cutting and accelerating off the joint, as well as hiking up and down large hills). Bring it back slowly and let it heal as fully as possible. And strengthen it with exercise and yoga.

That said, you want him to be ready for game action. He did do fine last year with no preseason reps, but it took him a bit to adjust to the pro game and get in a groove. I’m fine with seeing him in a few preseason drives. But I’m also fine if he sits out and just focuses on strengthening the knee and practice reps. It really all depends on how the knee feels if it’s worth it or not.

If the Bengals are worried about his knee at end of preseason so they keep him out of action that in itself is not a good sign... 
Reply/Quote
No. Not this year, not ever.
Reply/Quote
No in fact I’d be on board with sitting him half the year if not the full year. We aren’t doing anything this year. They should just build and protect
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2021, 10:19 PM)PDub80 Wrote: 1: The injury is of no concern since he's already fully participating in practice.

He knows he can't get hit in practice.  He needs real game reps.

(07-12-2021, 10:19 PM)PDub80 Wrote: 2: With the schedule that he did play, having no offseason, and behind that O-line without Mixon and AJ Green looking more like Al Green coupled with how good he looked against the Titans, Browns, Colts, & WFT heading into the weakest part of the schedule... The fact that you were such a Dalton guy for so long and are now in any way down on Joey B is one of the richest things I've read on here in a while.

You're still salty that you were wrong on AD. So much so that you're dogging how impressive Burrow was last season.

Dalton has nothing to do with this.  I have said MULTIPLE times that Burrow has more upside than Dalton and should be a better QB.

The fact that you fall over backwards to make excuses for Burrow, yet shat on Dalton when he had better seasons than Joe did last year is a joke.  

This time last year you were not concerned about the O-line because Burrow was not a "statue in the pocket like Andy Dalton".  Also WRs were not as important because Burrow could "throw them open", but now the fact that he only had two 900 yard receivers is an excuse for finishing in the bottom third of the league in passer rating.  Finally you are talking about how "good" Burrow looked against the Colts when you would shit on Dalton for posting a 78 passer rating in a loss.

I like Burrow very much as our QB of the future.  He was the #1 overall pick for a reason.  He has the potential to be much better than Dalton was.  But I don't to play "make believe" about how good he was last year because I am not embarrassed about predicting that he would play so much better than Dalton did.

The reason Burrow needs snaps in preseason is that he is still developing as a QB and needs all the chances he can to improve before the season starts.  Pointing to how good he was last year without preseason play is silly when he finished ranked 24th in the league.
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't play him for a half, but I'd for sure want to see him get a series or two. As has been said by many, get back out there, get over the mental side of guys coming at you that can actually hit you (because I don't see this line keeping him clean through the season) and get some reps with his guys against competition. If the org doesn't feel comfortable (or Joe doesn't feel comfortable) taking a few reps in pre-season, I've got some concerns about his recovery process and even more concerns about the viability of the O-line.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2021, 08:50 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: No in fact I’d be on board with sitting him half the year if not the full year. We aren’t doing anything this year. They should just build and protect

Lol this is the most conservative wussy approach. Zac Taylor isn’t sitting his only hope of retaining his job.
Reply/Quote
if medically cleared to play then yes.. If not then no. depending on his timeline for full recoverying i could see pup a possibility to Absolutely no reason to rush the "future of the franchise" back if not 100% healthy
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2021, 08:50 AM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: No in fact I’d be on board with sitting him half the year if not the full year.  We aren’t doing anything this year.  They should just build and protect

Im not sure if this is a serious post. If we bench burrow we are probably just protecting him for his next team because he might not want to stay here and ride the pine.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2021, 11:21 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Im not sure if this is a serious post. If we bench burrow we are probably just protecting him for his next team because he might not want to stay here and ride the pine.

Gotta protect our Ohio baby lol
Reply/Quote
(07-12-2021, 04:11 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Pretty simple question, do you want to see Joe Burrow play in the preseason?  It could be for only for a series or two, only for a single game, or multiple games.  Or would you prefer he doesn't play at all?

I suppose, since I'm asking, i should answer my own question.  I'm hoping they don't play him.  Even if he's healthy enough, I'd prefer he doesn't see any in-game action until the start of the season.

Fwiw, I think preseason can be great for certain things; I think letting guys battle for a roster spot or for a starting position are good examples.  I also think they can be very good for letting rookies get a taste of the NFL and get adjusted to what it's like.  But I don't think  Burrow will benefit from it.  In fact, if I had my way, most guys wouldn't play in the preseason.

I think as far as him getting him confident playing again, that can be accomplished in practice and scrimmages.  They can simulate a lot of things in a contolled environment.  I just think with his recovery timeline lining up so closely to preseason and the start of the regular season, it's better to err on the side of caution.

What says you?

Wes, normally you and I agree and pretty much think along the same lines. 

However, I think Burrow needs to play at least in the 2nd or 3 game of the season.  

He needs to go against defense he doesn't see in practice every day.  He needs to trust he isnt going to get injured if he gets hit or hit low again. 

If the Bengals hold him out and allow him to get accustomed to the game in practice and scrimmage there is NO WAY IN HELL that Zac Taylor is going to let his defense ever come within 3 foot of Burrow. 

Burrow needs to get hit.  He needs live action.  He needs to play against a "real" defense and not something Lou's drawn up lol

However, I do not believe the Bengals will allow Burrow to play in the pre-season.  The soonest you'll see him is Week 1 of the NFL season. 
Reply/Quote
It seems a bit concerning that CA quitter played in the preseason after his knee inury and Mr Ohio true grit might get bubble wrapped after his. Burrow ain't gonna like being treated like a newborn kitten.
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2021, 11:56 AM)Nately120 Wrote: It seems a bit concerning that CA quitter played in the preseason after his knee inury and Mr Ohio true grit might get bubble wrapped after his.  Burrow ain't gonna like being treated like a newborn kitten.

At the end of the day it's truly not up to Burrow.  There's a reason the Bengals have a medical staff, and coaching staff. 

If they want to hold Burrow out for the preseason because they want to make sure the knee is as close to 100% healed as possible they will. 

They have an investment in this player and the ROI is more important than the players feelings at the end of the day.
Reply/Quote