Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you make this deal?
(03-21-2019, 12:19 PM)PhilHos Wrote: The sad thing is, I was going to do the whole first round, but I ran out ideas by the 6th pick. That's kinda sad. 

We could probably get 4 1st's for Mixon  Ninja

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2019, 12:58 PM)Bryan Wrote: I don't see AJ getting $20 mill a year either probably between $15-18 mill. I mean don't get me wrong, he's fantastic and deserves every penny that's gone his way thus far, but I don't see him setting the market at this stage in his career.

It ain't a question of talent so much as age and recent injury history. Plus I imagine we get a discount. He wants to be like Larry Fitzgerald and spend his career in one spot. Plus I have to see a WR hit $20 mil before I call AJ a $20 mil receiver.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2019, 01:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It ain't a question of talent so much as age and recent injury history. Plus I imagine we get a discount. He wants to be like Larry Fitzgerald and spend his career in one spot. Plus I have to see a WR hit $20 mil before I call AJ a $20 mil receiver.

You really think he'll give us the hometown discount?

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2019, 01:03 PM)Bryan Wrote: You really think he'll give us the hometown discount?

He's been pretty emphatic that he wants to spend his career as a Bengal. So yes. 

He's also 31 and had a spat of injuries in recent years, so it's hard to see him as the #1 paid WR in the league.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2019, 01:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He's been pretty emphatic that he wants to spend his career as a Bengal. So yes. 

He's also 31 and had a spat of injuries in recent years, so it's hard to see him as the #1 paid WR in the league.

It'd be nice for him to be a life-long Bengal. It feels like we don't have many. And after they let Whit walk, I wouldn't put anything past them.

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2019, 01:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He's been pretty emphatic that he wants to spend his career as a Bengal. So yes. 

Right now, he's 1 of 8 WR's averaging at least 15m per year, with Beckham topping the list at 18. I could see AJ's next deal being something like 3 yrs at 48-51m.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2019, 01:17 PM)Bryan Wrote: It'd be nice for him to be a life-long Bengal. It feels like we don't have many. And after they let Whit walk, I wouldn't put anything past them.

Lots of our legends finished up elsewhere. Munoz was a Buc. Chad and Dillon were Patriots. Housh was a Seahawk. Boomer was a Jet. Etc.

I think he wants to finish up as Bengal, but a lot of things will have to fall in place for that to happen.

Not commanding absolute top dollar at 31-32 years old will help.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2019, 01:21 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Right now, he's 1 of 8 WR's averaging at least 15m per year, with Beckham topping the list at 18. I could see AJ's next deal being something like 3 yrs at 48-51m.

I'd say that's fairly realistic. Close to what he makes now, but with a slight bump that reflects the salary cap going up. That said, a $17 million salary would make him the 2nd best paid WR in the league. AJ isn't the 2nd best WR in the league and has had some recent injuries. Of course, none of that matters if it's what his agent demands. $20 million just seems like a fantasy land figure though.

This isn't me insulting AJ. I'm just looking at the current market and the averages are:

Beckham: 18 million
Brown: 16.7 million
Evans: 16.5 million
Hopkins: 16.2 million
Watkins: 16 million
Landry: 15.1 million
Green: 15 million

A $20 million average is a pretty significant jump from these averages. Also, every one of these players are younger than AJ Green, except for AB, who is the same age and is averaging $16.7.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 05:54 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Ken Broo brought up an interesting scenario. If the Bengals were presented with the chance to do this, would you be for it?

[Image: D2IRBtEXcAAbgZJ.jpg]

No.
Reply/Quote
Remember when they gave Carson his first big contract extension. It was in December when they had a lot of cap room leftover that they knew they would not need.

Maybe they can wait and see how healthy Green is this year and then offer him something like a 3 year extension with the signing bonus coming out of this year cap space.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2019, 01:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'd say that's fairly realistic. Close to what he makes now, but with a slight bump that reflects the salary cap going up. That said, a $17 million salary would make him the 2nd best paid WR in the league. AJ isn't the 2nd best WR in the league and has had some recent injuries. Of course, none of that matters if it's what his agent demands. $20 million just seems like a fantasy land figure though.

This isn't me insulting AJ. I'm just looking at the current market and the averages are:

Beckham: 18 million
Brown: 16.7 million
Evans: 16.5 million
Hopkins: 16.2 million
Watkins: 16 million
Landry: 15.1 million
Green: 15 million

A $20 million average is a pretty significant jump from these averages. Also, every one of these players are younger than AJ Green, except for AB, who is the same age and is averaging $16.7.

I'm assuming that is Sammy Watkins? What the hell has he done to be paid 16 mil a year??
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2019, 01:21 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Right now, he's 1 of 8 WR's averaging at least 15m per year, with Beckham topping the list at 18. I could see AJ's next deal being something like 3 yrs at 48-51m.

Seems like a fair contract. The details that MB likes to give is most of the money up front in signing bonus so he isn't saddled the rest of the contract. The problem is the team has a hit on the cap for the length of the contract weather the player performs or not. It protects the team yearly so they aren't saddled with owing too much guaranteed money but they could use that money to pursue other players to help the team win now. If you have ever looked at the Steelers and wondered how they used their cap money they only guarantee money in the first year to most players.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2019, 02:51 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I'm assuming that is Sammy Watkins? What the hell has he done to be paid 16 mil a year??

Dude balls out during the last half of his contract years.  He's got this money thing figured out!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2019, 02:51 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I'm assuming that is Sammy Watkins? What the hell has he done to be paid 16 mil a year??

Lol I was wondering the same thing. 

I was looking at that list like "one of these names is not like the others". 
Reply/Quote

He was fast one time and has decent hands. Living off the "take the top off of the defense" mold. 
[Image: y35bdhbl]
Reply/Quote
Considering we've made moves in FA for OL, CB, and DT, and haven't done a thing at LB save for losing Burfict, I'm thinking LB at #11 is pretty damn likely.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2019, 05:59 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Considering we've made moves in FA for OL, CB, and DT, and haven't done a thing at LB save for losing Burfict, I'm thinking LB at #11 is pretty damn likely.

Sure looks that way. I would definitely expect LB/Tackle in the first and second. Probably in that order. 
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 05:54 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Ken Broo brought up an interesting scenario. If the Bengals were presented with the chance to do this, would you be for it?

[Image: D2IRBtEXcAAbgZJ.jpg]
I gotta say, as a totally impartial bystander- yes to that trade all day long!! Emotions aside, the Haskins part is up to you guys but just as someone said theyd be suprised if at his age he still demanded a 15-20 mill deal, if someone is willing to trade 3 overall for an aging (albiet accomished) WR HELL YA MAKE THAT TRADE AND DONT LOOK BACK!!!

FWIW,  the Bills beat reporter has been banging the drum to trade for Green. Theyve asked national pundits and even john clayton (who said the Brown family is much too loyal to ever trade AJ) and whenever compensation is brought up its never even been consistently close to a 2nd, let alone 1st. I think the highest suggested return was a 2 and a 4 and a 3 or 4 next yr. 

Again, the return suggestions arent my words OR ideas, but I just figured Id comment bc of the frequency its been discussed in BFLO and bc of his $ and age a 1st hanst been mentioned once. Also, national media seems pretty sour on aging WR in general so maybe CIN wld value him highest.

Do w #3 what you will but it sounds like you guys think this iteration of the Bengals isnt going to win in the next yr or two so make that trade!!
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2019, 01:26 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Lots of our legends finished up elsewhere. Munoz was a Buc. Chad and Dillon were Patriots. Housh was a Seahawk. Boomer was a Jet. Etc.

I think he wants to finish up as Bengal, but a lot of things will have to fall in place for that to happen.

Not commanding absolute top dollar at 31-32 years old will help.

FWIW, Boomer ended up a Bengal. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2019, 08:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: FWIW, Boomer ended up a Bengal. 

True. It was awkward to see him in the ugly green uni though. He also spent a year in Arizona. 
Reply/Quote