Poll: Would you take a Thug team Super Bowl win if it were possible?
Yes - I would take it
No - I don't want the Front Office to appear vindicated
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Would you take a Thug team Superbowl Bengals win if it were possible?
I think he played really yard and looked good on the field.

He'd get arrested in bars for assault and drinking if memory serves. A quick Google search shows he's still getting arrested after he's retired for drinking related things.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 11:25 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's not just Pacman. Or Mixon. Or drafting Burfict.

It's signing Benson with all his issues. Drafting Henry. Waiving and re-signing him. Bringing Tank Johnson in.

While the current Bengals get pointed to...it's more a lifetime achievement award for the Bengals that they're considered a team of thugs.

Like I said, Henry gave us that reputation way back in 2006. But I don't think signing a couple players like Tank Johnson and Cedric Benson here and there justifies keeping that reputation. Plenty of teams sign/draft guys like that all the time. The Cowboys were the first team to sign Tank after his gun charges and 8 game suspension. They were also the first team to sign Pacman after his scrip club incident. They've also signed Greg Hardy and drafted Randy Gregory etc etc.

I think they get more of a pass though. As do other teams. I think it all should come down to how these players behave once you take that risk...also how you respond if the player starts breaking laws...because ALL teams take risky players. There are no 53 man rosters full of saints.

I think it comes down to 2 players...Chris Henry in 2006 and Pacman Jones now. If those 2 were never Bengals, I don't think the reputation is nearly as bad as it is. Signing players like Tank and Benson barely caused a ripple. Fwiw...I also think Mike Brown's cheap reputation plays a lot into it. That man is just not well liked, and it's not just here on the boards.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
What NFL team isn't a "Thug Team" when you get down to it?
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 02:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Like I said, Henry gave us that reputation way back in 2006. But I don't think signing a couple players like Tank Johnson and Cedric Benson here and there justifies keeping that reputation. Plenty of teams sign/draft guys like that all the time. The Cowboys were the first team to sign Tank after his gun charges and 8 game suspension. They were also the first team to sign Pacman after his scrip club incident. They've also signed Greg Hardy and drafted Randy Gregory etc etc.

I think they get more of a pass though. As do other teams. I think it all should come down to how these players behave once you take that risk...also how you respond if the player starts breaking laws...because ALL teams take risky players. There are no 53 man rosters full of saints.

I think it comes down to 2 players...Chris Henry in 2006 and Pacman Jones now. If those 2 were never Bengals, I don't think the reputation is nearly as bad as it is. Signing players like Tank and Benson barely caused a ripple. Fwiw...I also think Mike Brown's cheap reputation plays a lot into it. That man is just not well liked, and it's not just here on the boards.

Jerry Jones and Mike Brown may be the two most "Hands on" Owners in the NFL.
This may be why they are the first ones to take the chance on the Bad character players.
They both basically GM their teams and make no apologies for their decisions.
GM's that answer to Owners may be less apt to take these chances and the "getting a Bargain or Steal" factor comes in to play with Jerry & Mike.
Al Davis was the same way if my memory serves me right.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2017, 05:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis won 5 straight Super Bowls there would still be plenty of members here squealing "It should have been 8 or 10" and "They won IN SPITE OF Giggles not BECAUSE of him" and "I am still mad that we did not draft Steven Jackson."

OF COURSE FRED! Because everyone here is SO negative and everyone here just likes to come and complain! I wish we could all be as perfect as you! 

Whats more annoying? People complaining about the Bengals or Fred complaining about the people complaining about the Bengals? New thread, same ol crap from Freddy boy. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Of course I'd take it.

Just adapt a Hockey frame of mind and what's a little intimidation and shoulder the head anyways?

Haven't the Pittsburgh fans been happy to take several of them that way?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
lol we're sitting at three "holier than thou" No's
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 08:59 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: lol we're sitting at three "holier than thou" No's

It went from 32 Yes votes and 2 No votes to 54 Yes and 3 No votes in about 2 days.

26 years of having even the few good seasons end badly has most people to the point of just wanting to Win period.

Only 3 people so far are going against the Grain.

This result should Warm Mike Brown's Heart which may grow 3 sizes if he sees this Poll. *

* (A playful Grinch reference)

Reply/Quote
Before all this PC bull crap began, these were the type of guys sought out for. Rugged, tough, talented players. Hitting a girl is not tough, but you get my drift. Football has become soft compared to its beginnings.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote