Poll: Would you trade Mixon for an early 2nd
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Would you trade Mixon for an early 2nd?
(04-16-2020, 11:31 PM)jj22 Wrote: So it's come to this. That was fast. A big year under the Burrow spotlight will likely net us a 3rd round comp pick which isn't a 2nd, but we get the big year and big team success out of it

Is that worth a drop in round with the extra 2021 pick?

I'm in the don't pay a running back big money camp, and believe you can get good ones late with the right system/oline. But if you got a elite one get the 4 years out of him at the very least. Mixon in a contract year may be just what this offense needs to put it over the top.

Mixon doesn't have the wear and tear on the wheels so he has that going for him.

First off, you have to remember that it'd be a comp pick in 2022 vs a pick now in 2020. 
Secondly, I don't think Mixon is going to warrant a 3rd round comp pick.

WRs are out there making $20m/yr, QBs are making $30m+/yr. They don't tell what the exact formula for comp picks are, but it's at least largely based off contract size. Le'Veon Bell got 4yr/$52.5m, which means 3yr of a great WR or 2yr of a good QB getting paid in FA will surpass that total.

Think Mixon in FA (assuming he does really well in 2020) netting at best a 4th or 5th round compensatory pick (in 2022) based solely upon the fact that other positions simply get paid more. He's not going to get Zeke or McCaffrey money shy of running for 2k and catching for another 700-1k in 2020.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 10:28 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't follow.  If we can get a 2nd for him now why let him walk in 2021?

(04-16-2020, 10:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I don't either?

Because we get a year of a sure thing instead of a lottery ticket.
Reply/Quote
What is the point of drafting good players if you don't keep them.

Only a percentage of draft picks work out. If you keep trading away the good ones you end up replacing them with busts.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 10:40 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Probably not in the 2nd. Too much value.

Then you are probably not going to get a RB near as good as Mixon.

It will be difficult to teplace his production even with a second rounder.  The claim that you can "find a RB anywhere in the draft" is a myth.  Over the last 10 years there have been 27 RBs taken in the second round any only 3 have rushed for more yarsd per game than Mixon.  So you have about a one in ten chance in the second round and the odds get worse later than that.
Reply/Quote
Has Mixon even said he going to hold out? If not, then lets wait, till we all here start jumping off cliffs.....
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 11:30 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Has Mixon even said he going to hold out? If not, then lets wait, till we all here start jumping off cliffs.....

Actually with the rules in the new CBA there is pretty much no way he holds out.
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2020, 11:48 PM)Synric Wrote: Running Backs that could be available in the second round in 2020.

D'Andre Swift
Johnathan Taylor
Clyde Edwards-Helaire
Cam Akers

There is no point for a team to trade a second round pick for a running back that has 1 year left on his deal or that will also come with a large contract.

I'd take JK Dobbins 
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 11:33 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I'd take JK Dobbins 

I’d be down for the human bowling ball. Lol
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 10:52 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Then you are probably not going to get a RB near as good as Mixon.

It will be difficult to teplace his production even with a second rounder.  The claim that you can "find a RB anywhere in the draft" is a myth.  Over the last 10 years there have been 27 RBs taken in the second round any only 3 have rushed for more yarsd per game than Mixon.  So you have about a one in ten chance in the second round and the odds get worse later than that.

You don’t need a rb making his production to win in today’s nfl. If The Bengals are planning to throw more then Joe won’t get his carries

Antonio Gibsonvis a rb/wr hybrid that fits what offenses want to do today. H a probably going to go on day 3. He could do some nice things for this offense.
Reply/Quote
Yes. And draft an RB. Repeat in 4 years.
Reply/Quote
I am astonished that the fans of this team would want to trade a away the heart and soul of our offense over the last few years. This kid was a high 1st round draft pick if not for the incident in college. He has all the tools, mentality and toughness that you can ask for in a player. Why I would agree that a McCaffrey sized contract is out of the question he does deserve somewhere around the 10m area. 10M is doable with a rookie contract for our QB. Look at it this way...WHAT IF he come out this year with no extension (he will play, he loses all monies in the new CBA if he sits out) and rushes for 1400 yards and 500 receiving and scores 15-20 times. Now, you have a McCaffrey type contract staring you in the face.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 11:30 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Has Mixon even said he going to hold out? If not, then lets wait, till we all here start jumping off cliffs.....

This is exactly what I have been saying on a couple of different threads
Reply/Quote
I voted NO and I'll tell you why. Mixon is very good. Amazing what he could do with good blocking, which he hasn't had much of in Cincy. As it is, he gains a lot of yards with Worst Offensive Line in NFL the last 3 years.

Also, Why Is It that Bengals Fans are ready to trade anybody that is ready to get a pay raise. Other teams have Superstars, yet Bengals Fans worry more about Mike Browns Bank Account than winning football games. I'll go one more, that it is pointless to have top draft picks and then not keep them. All who wished for top pick in 2020 are silly if you don't intend to pay them if they become Superstars.

I mean, if they get rid of Mixon, then the Ohio State RB becomes a must if on the board first pick in Round 2. But why do that when we need a top LB and a top OT to try to fix awful Tackling and Blocking on Bengals, and can NOT win until Blocking and Tackling is fixed.

I'm amazed so many voted to dump Mixon, I really am. Your concern for Mike Browns Bank Account is greater than mine is.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I think he’s to good to just replace with anyone. He’s a top 3 back for sure. I’d settle for the LSU running back in the 3rd if he fell though.
Reply/Quote
Mixon is still a keeper.

Look at the crap he's dealt with for an OLine?
If he plays behind a good ol, he will become even more exspensive, so pay him 10 mil per year for the next 4 years and don't worry about the RB position. He's a first round talent and can play all 3 downs. And in 4 years if he's still balling pay him again. If not then, then you let him go and use that money on Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 08:28 AM)Sled21 Wrote: No way. I think everyone on this board and in Bengaldom in general would agree our oline pretty much blew last year, and yet Mixon was still what, 5th, in running backs? Imagine what he can do with an improved line in front of him and opponents not being able to stack the box because Burrow is slinging the ball. Pay the man.... this year, or next, but Mixon his a huge talent.

Sorry man, but that's just not true.  He averaged 71.06 yards rushing per game, and 17.94 receiving yards per game.  That was good enough for 11th in rushing, and 12th in combined yards/game.

https://fantasyfootballers.org/rb-running-back-nfl-stats/

Gotta beware when some posters use partial stats, to emphasize how great a player did, for a certain portion of the season..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 11:41 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’d be down for the human bowling ball. Lol

He's also got that "to the house" gear that Mixon has been unable to display, thus far. What I mean is that his top end speed is greater than what his 40 would indicate.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 03:18 AM)Benton Wrote: Understood, but if he's committed and willing to make $0, he could sit out 2020. If that's the case, I'm more inclined to trade him if he isn't willing to play for something.

Just isn't happening, Mixon will be paid and he will be happy.

This is all made up media BS.

(04-17-2020, 05:10 AM)JWW1971 Wrote: I voted NO, I would really like to see what he will do in this new Offence.
I think all this Mixon sitting out is just more Bengals bad media bollocks, The boy has never mentioned sitting out.
But here's an idea and with the signing of Patrick on a 3yr deal, Cut Dalton ($17m) and Gio ($8.2m over the next 2yrs, dead cap= $1.3m) and give it to Mixon

It is more Bengals bad media bollocks lol

Never wrote out bollocks before. Hilarious 

(04-17-2020, 05:40 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Gio would cost us 1.3M to cut this year. Plus, we’d have no proven backup.

Don't cut'em, trade'em.

(04-17-2020, 09:23 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Absolutely, Nate.  And I love what Mixon has done as well, but for a high second round pick?  There is a lot of talent there like CEH, as you mentioned, and they would be on a rookie contract.  

I still think a deal gets done for both Green and Mixon before the deadline, but we would have to have Dalton, Gio, and Williams off the books to do it.  And I think WJIII is on a one year show-me or he will not be re-signed as well and they will go CB in the first round next year.  

No one will offer a high second rounder for him anyways and we will pay him and he won't hold out so all of this is 
really moot. It was a good question on what you would take for Mixon though. Agreed, I think extensions will be offered
to both AJ and Mixon and we will probably trade both Dalton and Gio come Draft time or after to free up the dough to 
do so. Shawn is also a thought with us bringing in Vonn Bell for sure.

If they play more man I see WJ3 having a great season and us extending him next year.
Reply/Quote
So it's being suggested that we trade one of the best running backs in the NFL in the prime of his career on the last year of his cheap rookie contract for a 2nd round pick in the crap shoot that is known as the NFL draft? I know the running back position is not as revered as it once was but come on. Mixon is a known commodity and has been a model player since he's been here and works his butt off. He deserves the pay raise he has coming to him and I think the front office understands this also. Should get 9-10 million per with a fair signing bonus to boot.
Reply/Quote
I'd do it, particularly if Taylor or Swift were available. Either of those guys could be very good first-year starters in the NFL (but not Taylor Swift ...). But I don't think anyone would offer us a 2nd for him, RBs just aren't worth that much in today's NFL. McCaffery is otherworldly and he still got less per year than Gurley and Elliot got two years ago. Then you've got the cliff dive issue with guys like Gurley, Johnson, Bell ...
Reply/Quote