Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yoiur views on managment post draft?
What are your views on Bengal management post draft?

I have been down on them since the Steeler playoff loss in 2015 and the refusal to immediately fire Marvin.

Last year's inaction on o line caused a debacle that was easily predicted with Piano man as o line coach, Bodine at center and Og at left tackle.

So to me, 2016 and 2017 were predictable completely wasted years.

I think this year they made great moves getting the LT and LB from Buffalo and drafting the best players for need.

I think our roster is way better today than it was a year ago assuming Fisher can step up at RT and with Pollack as o-line coach.

So  but for the continuing retention of Marv I am back on board.

If we have another year like last year Marv needs to go.

He Should have been fired several times already .

Even  though he has a two year contract, from a fairness perspective his long term of service entitles him to a one year severance so firing him with a year to go on contract should be an acceptable option.

I do not see how they can sell him to season ticket holders and fans or even players for another year with a 7-9 record or less than that in 2018.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 04:16 PM)bengals67 Wrote: What are your views on Bengal management post draft?

I have been down on them since the Steeler playoff loss in 2015 and the refusal to immediately fire Marvin.

Last year's inaction on o line caused a debacle that was easily predicted with Piano man as o line coach, Bodine at center and Og at left tackle.

So to me, 2016 and 2017 were predictable completely wasted years.

I think this year they made great moves getting the LT and LB from Buffalo and drafting the best players for need.

I think our roster is way better today than it was a year ago assuming Fisher can step up at RT and with Pollack as o-line coach.

So  but for the continuing retention of Marv I am back on board.

If we have another year like last year Marv needs to go.

He Should have been fired several times already .

Even  though he has a two year contract, from a fairness perspective his long term of service entitles him to a one year severance so firing him with a year to go on contract should be an acceptable option.

I do not see how they can sell him to season ticket holders and fans or even players for another year with a 7-9 record or less than that in 2018.

with the complete shit show our OL was last year we still won 7 games....

that's how you sell marv to the fans.
Reply/Quote
My view?  

Who the hell are these people, and what have they done with Son of Paul?!?!?!? LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 04:24 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: with the complete shit show our OL was last year we still won 7 games....

that's how you sell marv to the fans.

I am probably as big of a homer as you will find around here and even I thought Marvin should have been fired after last season.

I don't think he is near as bad as many people here.  He has a career winning record despite being handicapped by the worst owner in the league.  So he is not a bad coach at all.  But after 15 years and no playoff wins you get canned for back-to-back losing seasons.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 06:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am probably as big of a homer as you will find around here and even I thought Marvin should have been fired after last season.

I don't think he is near as bad as many people here.  He has a career winning record despite being handicapped by the worst owner in the league.  So he is not a bad coach at all.  But after 15 years and no playoff wins you get canned for back-to-back losing seasons.

I was down for marvin leaving after last season as well.

I cant blame everything on him though    Something has definitely changed in the front office. 
Reply/Quote
Management? They tried a tad better then usual going after Glenn and brown .

Marvin on the other hand I do not trust,I kind of look at him as our dusty baker of the bengals. I think his max potential is one playoff win. Reason being he says to much dumb stuff to make me think he's just not too bright. And that's super important in football is football intelligence. Marvin reminds me of that old man that is kind of ignorant ,he's like the grandpa coach.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2018, 06:15 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I was down for marvin leaving after last season as well.

I cant blame everything on him though    Something has definitely changed in the front office. 

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall for that meeting between Marvin and MB at the end of last season. 
Reply/Quote
I am very happy with how this off season has gone.

That said, the offensive line is still a red flag to me.

I mean, Glenn - Boling - Price - Westerman/Redmond - Fisher is a decent starting line, but we're just one injury away from ***** Ogbuehi being on the field again and then the season is over again.

We really really could have used a good 3rd to 4th round tackle, like Crosby or perhaps Brown, who could just step in for a game or 2 (or longer) if necessary to stabilize after an injury.

Now we are essentially relying on no injuries anywhere on the line and no one underachieving at all (What if Glenn or Price struggles early?)

This feels like mismanagement of the Oline but maybe we sign a good veteran tackle after cuts in September, I don't know.

I know this was a weak OT class, but that doesn't change the weaknesses on your team and I worry that management is overlooking this problem and calling it solved with a single draft pick? Weird.

I guess we'll find out in September.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 07:52 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I mean, Glenn - Boling - Price - Westerman/Redmond - Fisher is a decent starting line, but we're just one injury away from ***** Ogbuehi being on the field again and then the season is over again.

If that happens, I sure hope Eric Winston is available. Ok, I hear the moans and groans, but I will take Winston over CO any day of the week..... (of course, I would have liked them to pick up another tackle)
Reply/Quote
Marvin is definitely a pull back on what could be perceived as coaching improvements. Unfortunately he’s at the head of the table.

Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 07:52 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I am very happy with how this off season has gone.

That said, the offensive line is still a red flag to me.

I mean, Glenn - Boling - Price - Westerman/Redmond - Fisher is a decent starting line, but we're just one injury away from ***** Ogbuehi being on the field again and then the season is over again.

We really really could have used a good 3rd to 4th round tackle, like Crosby or perhaps Brown, who could just step in for a game or 2 (or longer) if necessary to stabilize after an injury.

Now we are essentially relying on no injuries anywhere on the line and no one underachieving at all (What if Glenn or Price struggles early?)

This feels like mismanagement of the Oline but maybe we sign a good veteran tackle after cuts in September, I don't know.

I know this was a weak OT class, but that doesn't change the weaknesses on your team and I worry that management is overlooking this problem and calling it solved with a single draft pick? Weird.

I guess we'll find out in September.

Signing a 3rd or 4th round tackle does nothing to stabilize the line if there is an injury.  They are not going to step in and be productive in their first year - just doesn't happen for mid to late round O lineman.  The Bengals appear to be in win mode now and will find some experience for depth in September.  I'd rather take a cast off with experience than a rookie for a few games on the O line.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 08:32 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Signing a 3rd or 4th round tackle does nothing to stabilize the line if there is an injury.  They are not going to step in and be productive in their first year - just doesn't happen for mid to late round O lineman.  The Bengals appear to be in win mode now and will find some experience for depth in September.  I'd rather take a cast off with experience than a rookie for a few games on the O line.

That's not entirely true. There are 3rd/4th round tackles like Daryl Williams, T. J. Clemmings, Julién Davenport and Will Holden who started in their rookie years.

It wasn't necessarily a good thing that they did because most of them were due to injuries to the starter, but that's the exact scenario I'm talking about.

That's all I'd be looking for. Someone who can sub in and not embarrass themselves.

And, let's be honest, there's no way any rookie would be worse than putting Ogbuehi back in. That guy is the definition of embarrassment at offensive tackle. At least to this point in his career.
Reply/Quote
This team is better now than last year, but it still has the same FO/HC running the show that's produced years and years of heart-break/neglect. It's almost like the team has to do it in spite of the Owner and HC, which doesn't usually bode well for success. I'm excited to watch them play again, but my views on the FO have only changed slightly (for the better) so far.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
I don't think we are exactly done... either the bengals didn't like some of the OL prospects for when they were available... And adding more rookies isn't exactly the fastest way to turn around the line..

Vets will be available soon as they get replaced by some of the higer draft picks.. If we (bengals) feel they need more OL guys
Reply/Quote
Our front office isn't perfect but let's be real about this.

Over the last 6 or 7 years most observers agree that the roster from top to bottom has been very talented. Even though we don't spend in FA we draft well overall. As others have mentioned the real problem may be our coach and his ability to take this team to the next level. I'm in the minority but I also think that Dalton is similar to our coach in that he's not terrible but he isn't good enough to take us to that next level.

So in the end, I do blame the front office but not for the reasons that you and many others here have. (I would 100% agree that they should spend more in FA)
Reply/Quote
This team has finally done (some) of the things it should have done years ago. Am I a little bit excited that perhaps just maybe they're finally getting it ? Very cautious yes

Am I buying 100% into this all will end in good results ? NO

Mike & Merv still running the show, Merv should have been gone years ago and I have no illusions he's suddenly going to morph into a post season winning HC.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 08:40 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: That's not entirely true. There are 3rd/4th round tackles like Daryl Williams, T. J. Clemmings, Julién Davenport and Will Holden who started in their rookie years.

It wasn't necessarily a good thing that they did because most of them were due to injuries to the starter, but that's the exact scenario I'm talking about.

That's all I'd be looking for. Someone who can sub in and not embarrass themselves.

And, let's be honest, there's no way any rookie would be worse than putting Ogbuehi back in. That guy is the definition of embarrassment at offensive tackle. At least to this point in his career.

First I will say that Ogbuehi had chances, and failed to deliver. Period. Case closed - he's got to miraculously do a 180 or GO. 

However, with what changes were implemented during the last quarter of 2017, we saw success with the rest of the roster. Beating the last two wannabe playoff-bound teams with different scheme but no roster changes showed 'some' promise. Not much, but some. Looking at what we've done since then tells me we will improve in a lot of areas. Just not all, and right tackle seem to be the most glaring one. But the process is not over yet imho. 

My gut tells me we will see some struggles early in the season, not just the Oline, but in general. It will take some time beyond training camp for this team to gel. Barring injury though, look for this team to bring some smiles around here once familiarity breeds chemistry and confidence. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 04:43 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Management? They tried a tad better then usual going after Glenn and brown .

Marvin on the other hand I do not trust,I kind of look at him as our dusty baker of the bengals. I think his max potential is one playoff win. Reason being he says to much dumb stuff to make me think he's just not too bright. And that's super important in football is football intelligence. Marvin reminds me of that old man that is kind of ignorant ,he's like the grandpa coach.

Imagine that, someone saying something stupid...
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 04:43 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Management? They tried a tad better then usual going after Glenn and brown .

Dusty is a decent comparison, but he made it to the World Series before choking it away the last two games.... and then the Giants never made a attempt to re him up after it! So it's a tad difficult to give him a lot of crap for how low the bar is set for this FO. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
Marvin is still HC.
Mike is still Owner.
Mike/Katie are still GM.

Why would the draft change the view I have built from 15-27 years of experiencing them running this team?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote