Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
You people need to trust Lou
(05-05-2022, 04:12 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I think the turnover story with the Bengals is what ultimately defined their season. It's SUPER interesting. 

They were +-0 when it comes to plus/minus on the season. You could say the season shifted when Joe stopped throwing so many INTs. 
He only threw 3 picks during the last 7 games of the season after throwing 11 during the first 9. 

After the God awful first Cleveland game and when Joe acknowledged he needed to stop forcing things (week 9), they ended up +4 in the remaining games. The defense turned the other team over 12 times in the last 8 games of the season.

Then the defense went on a run where they turned the other team over during the playoffs at a clip of 9 turnovers in 4 games. 

No way the turnover rate in the playoffs is sustainable, but I would imagine something like what they did in the remaining 7 games could be sustainable for this defense. To me its not so much about the number of turnovers the defense gets, but its that coupled with the offense (Joe) taking care of the ball. 

The improvement that Joe had from first half to second half of the season is astonishing. I posted it in a different thread recently, but using EPA per pass attempt, Joe ranked 21st in the first 10 weeks of the season. For the final eight weeks, Joe ranked 2nd. The Cleveland game you mentioned killed him, sending him from 12th to that 21st spot. If Joe can maintain that level of play, then we are in for a fun season. 
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2022, 04:12 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote:  You could say the season shifted when Joe stopped throwing so many INTs. 

He only threw 3 picks during the last 7 games of the season after throwing 11 during the first 9. 

I have made this point before, but I draw the line for Burrow after he had 3 turnovers against the Chargers and they turned them all into points. At that point he was leading the league with 14 picks in 12 games. After that he went over 5 games (4 regular season 1 playoff) without an interception.

The week after the Chargers loss the Niners beat us thanks largely to two fumbles in the return game.  At that point we were just 7-6 and struggling to stay in the playoff race.  But I don't think we had a single turnover over our final 4 regular season games.
Reply/Quote
You people? What do ya mean "you people"??
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I trust Lou......now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2022, 07:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have made this point before, but I draw the line for Burrow after he had 3 turnovers against the Chargers and they turned them all into points. At that point he was leading the league with 14 picks in 12 games. After that he went over 5 games (4 regular season 1 playoff) without an interception.

The week after the Chargers loss the Niners beat us thanks largely to two fumbles in the return game.  At that point we were just 7-6 and struggling to stay in the playoff race.  But I don't think we had a single turnover over our final 4 regular season games.

Yep - you could argue that they should have won both of those games...especially the 49ers game. 

Joe did some good things against the Chargers, but the picks killed us. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Lou won me over during our #1 pick producing season when he schemed a gameplan to control Raven's Jackson with an undermanned Defense and Jackson was the hottest QB in the league. Lost that game, just barely, it should have been hopeless at halftime. Now everyone in the League is copying his methods against running QBs.
Reply/Quote
The defense is tough against the run. Teams will get behind the chains. They will run Ossai ( he’s so much better than most realize) and Hendrickson at DE and Hill in a 3 man front. Hubbard will be a spy on Mahomes, Watson, and Lamar with Wilson. Then they will have Hilton, Awouzie and CTB in the next layer and Hill, Bates, and Bell in somewhat 3 deep. It will be brutal for the free lancers. But Ossai can really rush the passer.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2022, 08:40 PM)dr tarzan Wrote: Lou won me over  during our #1 pick producing season when he schemed a gameplan to control Raven's Jackson with an undermanned Defense and Jackson was the hottest QB in the league.   Lost that game, just barely,  it should have been hopeless at halftime.  Now everyone in the League is copying his methods against running QBs.

Either you're misremembering or I am misunderstanding. Lamar Jackson had nearly 400 combined yards that game. Specifically, he had 152 rushing yards at eight yards per carry. The game was fairly close (23-17) but Lamar averaged 7.6 yards for each time he touched the ball. As a matter of fact, that is the best rushing game of his entire career. 
Reply/Quote
Dude is a mad scientist.

Who said Lou was too old to learn new tricks?

I am expecting this Defense to really improve and just build off of that playoff play with these new Defenders we added in the Draft.

Dax Hill, Cam Taylor Britt, Zachary Carter, Tycen Anderson and Jeffrey Gunter are all extremely talented and are great depth at worst.

Love how we can now stop the run and now added Corners and pass rushers to get picks after pressuring QB's.

As much as people are excited about Joe and the Offense, the Defense is stacked and will make it hard on anyone we play.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 02:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Who said Lou was too old to learn new tricks?

Mike White

Cool
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 02:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: As much as people are excited about Joe and the Offense, the Defense is stacked and will make it hard on anyone we play.

I acknowledge that our defense played well in the postseason, but it is just impossible for me to ignore 17 games and just judge them based on a 4 game run.  I still remember how our bad defense in '06 played out of their heads for a 4-5 game stretch in the middle of the season to get us back in the playoff race.  

I believe our defense will improve in '22, but not as dramatically as the offense.  Our defense finished in the bottom half of the league during the regular season and lost one of its best players in Ogunjobi.  I believe that all 3 of our top picks will have an impact on our defense this year, and an offense without so many 3-and-outs will also help a lot.  But overall I see them improving to around #10.  PLENTY GOOD ENOUGH TO WIN ANY GAME WITH THE OFFENSE WE SHOULD HAVE.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2022, 02:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Mike White

Cool

Yeah, that was ugly. Why do these backup QB's we know nothing about always give us problems regardless of our coaches?

(05-07-2022, 02:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I acknowledge that our defense played well in the postseason, but it is just impossible for me to ignore 17 games and just judge them based on a 4 game run.  I still remember how our bad defense in '06 played out of their heads for a 4-5 game stretch in the middle of the season to get us back in the playoff race.  

I believe our defense will improve in '22, but not as dramatically as the offense.  Our defense finished in the bottom half of the league during the regular season and lost one of its best players in Ogunjobi.  I believe that all 3 of our top picks will have an impact on our defense this year, and an offense without so many 3-and-outs will also help a lot.  But overall I see them improving to around #10.  PLENTY GOOD ENOUGH TO WIN ANY GAME WITH THE OFFENSE WE SHOULD HAVE.

I guess I can agree with that if Zachary Carter isn't the answer at 3-tech behind BJ Hill. Even then we still might bring back
Ogunjobi when he gets healthy. Still, as you say if our Offense isn't having many 3 and outs the Defense will be fresher and 
much better and will help out everyone including Lou. If his players are tired it won't matter how good he calls a game.
Reply/Quote
We have 5 elite players Reader, Tre, Logan, Awuzie, Bates 8 or 9 really good players and we seem to be drafting for fit I think Lou struggled early because he was stuck with players that didn't fit.
Reply/Quote