Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
You people need to trust Lou
(05-02-2022, 03:50 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Since 2017, I'd say the players that, right after the draft, were considered reaches in the first 4 to 5 rounds were  John Ross, Billy Price, Drew Sample, Ryan Finley, Michael Jordan, Jackson Carman, Zachary Carter and Cordell Volson.

It is kind of a reach to call John Ross a "reach" at #9.  Most had him going in the top 15-20 picks.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 05:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It is kind of a reach to call John Ross a "reach" at #9.  Most had him going in the top 15-20 picks.

It was one of the less egregious reaches, but I think it should definitely qualify as a reach. I remember before he ran that 40 time he was being talked about as a 20s to 30s option, then he's suddenly a top 10 pick. I think analysts were surprised with the pick.

Going back in time on Google, the general consensus was it was a C- to C+ pick, which in the first round I think is a reach. But I get what you're saying.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 04:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Mike Danials is under contract.  But if he makes the roster we have problems at DT.

I think Sample may settle in to be a good rotation player like Wallace Gilberry.  D-line plays more rotation than any other position group.  The #2 guys generally play a quarter to a third of the snaps.  they are on the field a lot.

I completely forgot about Mike Daniels.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 05:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I completely forgot about Mike Daniels.

I can understand why.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 12:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: My how one season changes the perception of a coach.
This time last year, everyone was wanting Lou gone (same with Taylor).

Uh, not everyone. ...
Reply/Quote
As someone who was calling for heads last year.. let's remember that 2021 was both Zac and Lou's 3rd year. Admittedly COVID delayed development in training camp. Maybe it was just hard to see the changes from outside the building, but sticking with OUR guys through very bad seasons is something we have experience with. We watched Marvin do a great job making the Bengals competitive and then give years of mediocre play and worthless press conferences treating the fans and press like they shouldn't be allowed to question his obvious(to him anyway) genius.

I mean, if the OLine stinks it up yet again next year, are you prepared to shrug it off with Marvin-like comments of "we've just got to play better" and no coaching changes. After all, shouldn't Pollack get a third year just like the other coaches? Is a standard of three years before we see improvement the new normal?
Reply/Quote
I don't care what the stats show, Lou and Bengals D carried team through the playoffs, kept them in game with Rams to win it all. You cannot ask more than that.

Lou is a mad scientist and one of the few coaches in recent history to make freaking adjustments at the half that really mattered. Now Lou has a plan with new players to compete with likes of KC, Bills, and maybe Ravens.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 12:37 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Lou had 2021's 18th Overall/17th Scoring defense despite having Hendrickson, Reader, Hubbard, Ogunjobi, Hill, Wilson, Bates, Bell, Awuzie, and Hilton. You shouldn't have a below average defense with those guys on your roster, doubly so when the 2021 AFCN QBs were absolutely garbage.

LMAO And Hill? Ogunjobi? Awuzie? Hilton? All of sudden these rejects are world beaters? Lou hand picked them and several had their best seasons ever. How about what Logan Wilson has become? The defense improved in rank in scoring and total defense considerably. Wow tough crowd
Reply/Quote
What do you mean you people?
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 04:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Mike Danials is under contract.  But if he makes the roster we have problems at DT.

I think Sample may settle in to be a good rotation player like Wallace Gilberry.  D-line plays more rotation than any other position group.  The #2 guys generally play a quarter to a third of the snaps.  they are on the field a lot.

I don’t think he is on the team. Mother ship says no. Bengals.com
Reply/Quote
What do you mean "you people?".
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 07:07 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: What do you mean you people?

The title reads to me to be a Bengals circle jerk where if you question anything, you just don't understand 5d Chess.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
I trust him. He’s doing a good job bringing tge defense up to par. They played lights out in the play offs and well enough to get there. I’m not expecting top10, just stopping teams when they absolutely should and finding ways to create turnovers. That’s how you win defensively in the nfl now
Reply/Quote
I trust Lou. He will have this D #1 soon.

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 06:15 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I don't care what the stats show, Lou and Bengals D carried team through the playoffs, kept them in game with Rams to win it all.  You cannot ask more than that.  

Lou is a mad scientist and one of the few coaches in recent history to make freaking adjustments at the half that really mattered.  Now Lou has a plan with new players to compete with likes of KC, Bills, and maybe Ravens.

This is what I believe as well. I think the Bengals, with the talent and depth they now have, could be among the best defenses in the NFL this year. Maybe among the best Bengals defenses I have seen.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 07:28 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I trust Lou. He will have this D #1 soon.

Already there in our hearts... Number 18 in our program though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
The year before Lou got here we were dead last in the NFL in total defense. In his first year Lou got us up to 29th. His second year we got to 26th and last year we got to 18th. He's not working miracles but he is building a solid D. If we have a similar increase in 2022 I'd bet Lou would have his own team in 2023
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
The difference between the 7th scoring defense (cowboy) and the Bengals at 18th was 1 point per game.

Over all the Bengals were a middle of the pack defense very good stopping the run but gave up a lot of passing yards and had stretched where they couldn't put pressure on the QB despite Hendrickson having of the best rushing years by a Bengals defender.

They added speed on the back end and a couple more pass rushers along with getting Ossai back. They just need to stay healthy.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 08:31 PM)jason Wrote: Already there in our hearts... Number 18 in our program though.

Yeah, that was the actual rating. But a post-draft rating in another thread (http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Post-Draft-Unit-Grades) had them ranked 5th in defense. That estimation based on who is on the roster is closer to my expectation this year. The defense had a lot of people playing together for the first time last year, after the injury-plagued previous season. Now they have experience, have trust in Lou, and added some very versatile playmakers.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2022, 12:37 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Lou had 2021's 18th Overall/17th Scoring defense despite having Hendrickson, Reader, Hubbard, Ogunjobi, Hill, Wilson, Bates, Bell, Awuzie, and Hilton. You shouldn't have a below average defense with those guys on your roster, doubly so when the 2021 AFCN QBs were absolutely garbage.

Weren't we like rank almost dead last the year before? I remember last offseason, being told our D would not make it out of being ranked in the 20's by a certain poster on here.....
Lou did a hell of a job!
Reply/Quote