Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your All - Time Favorite Bengal
(05-19-2015, 01:14 PM)Benton Wrote: Ickey Woods.

I was a kid in the 80s, grew up with both the Super Bowl appearances. Ickey's career was short, but he was one of those players that amazed a dough faced kid from the sticks. Boomer was the other, and is as much a part of my Bengal history — probably moreso — than Woods.

^^ This. I don't think he is the best player but he is the reason I became a Bengal fan. As a kid I would do the Ickey Shuffle everytime I scored a touchdown. I remember when they stopped letting him do it in the end zone after a TD and would wait for them to pan the sidelines to see him do it. I remember liking Boomer so much my brother told me to stop liking the Bengals and become a Jets fan when he left. Couldn't do it though. I am stuck in this Who Dey Nation for life. 
Reply/Quote
Munoz, no contest for me. He was an awesome player. I remember in the playoff game with the Bills when he completely erased Bruce Smith as a factor when Smith was at the height of his career. I have met Munoz, and he is an even better person. I attended his HOF induction in Canton in 98.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2015, 05:51 PM)Beaker Wrote: Munoz, no contest for me. He was an awesome player. I remember in the playoff game with the Bills when he completely erased Bruce Smith as a factor when Smith was at the height of his career. I have met Munoz, and he is an even better person. I attended his HOF induction in Canton in 98.

I probably walked by you a time or two. I drove out to Canton with Bruce Reimers to attend his induction.
Reply/Quote
Have to say Ken Anderson.  If/when this team makes another SB run, as amazing as that would be, it will never be as special for me as that run in '81 because it was the first one.  Got to meet him at a Menards opening in Centerville a few years back and got a couple autographs and had a nice chat. 
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2015, 11:33 PM)Harmening Wrote: I probably walked by you a time or two.  I drove out to Canton with Bruce Reimers to attend his induction.

You didn't notice Beaker's orange hair sticking up?
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2015, 02:06 AM)Shady Wrote: Mine, too. I wish Andy had that kind of fire in his belly.

I cannot choose between Boomer, Collingsworth, Munoz and Whit.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2015, 10:39 AM)67bengals Wrote: I cannot choose between Boomer, Collingsworth, Munoz and Whit.

Collingsworth never played for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
I was born in 1988, and I don't remember much of his playing days, but Boomer will always be at the top of my list. In fact, my earliest memory is most likely watching a televised shot of Booomer jogging to the sideline when I was... Oh 2 or 3? I distinctly remember how cool the helmets looked, how cool the name "BENGALS" sounded, how cool the name "Boomer" sounded... Right then and there the Bengals became my team. Boomer is the main reason why.

Also, a close second, is Carson Palmer. I had a rough time growing up a Bengals fan in the 90's. Sure, it was fun to see the highlights of Jeff Blake and Corey Dillon on NFL Primetime... but we all know consistent, embarrassing losing is just plain sickening. I became a huge college football fan in 2002, and of course, Carson and the USC Trojans were always on national TV. I couldn't help but become a fan. I got a huge dose of a legit quarterback that college season, and was ECSTATIC the day the Bengals drafted him. I also remember praying to everything holy that Troy Polomalu fell to us in the second round but... We all know how that turned out :snark:

Carson was easily one of the best QBs in the NFL early in his career (before the injuries and the organization took their toll). He made me proud to wear the black and orange for the first time in my life. I'll always be thankful to the man for being a major factor in bringing the Bengals out of irrelevance. Of course, I'm not happy with how things ended in Cincinnati. I wish he had stuck it out... but I'll never fault him for leaving.
Reply/Quote
These things are so tough. I really just want to say Ken Anderson, period end. Probably the most underrated player in NFL history. And it is a joke he STILL isn't in the HOF. But, hard not to say the best OT in hx, Munoz. And there were so may other players I just liked a great deal. For example: smart player, tough as nails, quiet but unquestionably a leader on and off the field: LB Reggie Williams.

I could spend all day in this thread. But, I am going to move on... and probably come back later, lol.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2015, 11:34 AM)Harmening Wrote: Collingsworth never played for the Bengals.

My typing skills are bad. I will take a bet that you knew who I meant. Wink
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2015, 05:51 PM)Beaker Wrote: Munoz, no contest for me. He was an awesome player. I remember in the playoff game with the Bills when he completely erased Bruce Smith as a factor when Smith was at the height of his career. I have met Munoz, and he is an even better person. I attended his HOF induction in Canton in 98.

You need to go back and watch that game. Bruce Smith was absolutely destroying Munoz in the game. Smith almost single-handedly shut down our offense and we couldn't do anything. Then at some point, Smith suffered a pretty severe hip injury or something and could barely walk. From that point on, Munoz was able to handle him.
Reply/Quote
Chad Johnson- He was fun and a great player for us.  He also created a lot of interesting debates on the old message board.
Close second would be Madieu- He was a free agent bust for other teams but I thought he was good for player for us. Have an autograph football by him to.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Jeremy Hill.

There.

I said it.

*drops mic*

*picks mic back up*

Most exciting RB I've ever watched.

Granted, I missed most of Corey Dillon's career (first year watching the Bengals was 2003).
Reply/Quote
Mine is Ken Riley, a player who belongs in the Hall.

Reply/Quote
Growing up into the bengals I have 2 names that always stuck out when recalling back.

Dillon and Johnson (chad)

The guy that made me want to make sure I didn't miss a game was Chad.

His footwork and dedication to the team was something I will never forget and why he is my all time favorite.
Reply/Quote
Chad was fun to watch, but dedicated to the team? Yeah, we 'heard' about him sleeping in the stadium blah blah blah, or Carson and Chad going out to IND to watch Manning and Harrison.....

but Chad turned his back on this franchise at its weakest moment. He punched the coach in the face in front of the entire team, and he actually thought going to the biggest dumpster fire of a franchise in the NFL (Washington Skintardz) would have been a better option than being an all-time great here in CIN. Chad was a selfish prick.

Chad Johnson could have been great, instead he was a flash in the pan more remembered for his mouth. If Chad was such a hard worker, he wouldn't be languishing in the CFL catching passes from John Skelton.
Reply/Quote
Munoz. Cincy historically doesn't get much respect (at times rightfully so), but even the biggest Bengal hater won't deny that Munoz was amazing. I can't recall ever being more excited to watch an OL, he was as technically sound and athletic as anyone to play on the OL.
Reply/Quote
Kenny Anderson. I used to love watching him play in bad weather. He seemed to thrive in it.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2015, 11:34 AM)Harmening Wrote: Collingsworth never played for the Bengals.

Sam Rutigliano thought he did Ninja
Reply/Quote
I have to go with Boomer

Field General, Team Leader, as someone else said had the fire in his belly and cared about the fans.

Lots of close seconds, but in days to come Whit will be right up there next to him.
Reply/Quote