Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Ideal O-line Scenario
(03-12-2023, 03:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Close to yours Holic. Add Eluemunor to RT and once Taylor Lewan is somewhat cheap, I would add him as insurance on a 1 year 
prove it deal. Also would add Fleming like you said for depth and versatility. I would draft Darnell Wright for the future at RT and 
Avila in the 2nd round for the interior. Would be fine with cutting LC if the injury is that bad. This way we have tons of competition 
at the Tackle spots. It costs us money to cut Jonah so he would have to compete with Lewan for the starting LT spot along with 
Carman. Let the best man win.

Same with Eluemunor and Wright at RT....

LT - Taylor Lewan - Jackson Carman - Jonah Williams - Fleming
LG - Cordell Volson - Avila
C - Ted Karras - Avila - Trey Hill
RG - Alex Cappa - Avila
RT - Eluemunor - Darnell Wright - Fleming

This would leave no rock overturned. Have to keep Jonah this year since we picked up his option, plus Lewan is oft injured. I 
think Carman could learn a ton from Lewan. This would also add another leader to the OL room.

I just don’t see them investing in Lewan ( injury risk) and Eluemunor. I can see them trading up to insure Wright or a great TE.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 02:20 PM)BuildTheWall Wrote: Under-the-Radar Trade Candidate RT Rob Havenstein (Rams). LAR is looking to tear it down and recover some picks, and Taylor knows him from his time there. Rams would eat about $7.2M in dead cap this year (Spotrac and OTC show larger numbers, but that's because his roster bonus is not due until the end of this week, and we'd inherit it. Also, if more time is needed to complete the trade, it can be pushed back a few days if agreed to). Rams also clear a lot of cap space the next two years, which they would definitely need. Maybe a third (or second at most) gets it done?

Cap Hits once Traded
2023: $7.7M
2024: $12.2M
2025: $9.63M

Haven't heard this thought before, nice. Garrett Bolles trade has been mentioned by Sunset but I love this as well.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 04:57 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I just don’t see them investing in Lewan ( injury risk) and Eluemunor. I can see them trading up to insure Wright or a great TE.

That is why it was my ideal scenario at the moment. Honestly trading for Havenstein or Bolles would also be ideal.

I just like Lewan if he can stay healthy for a bit and helping out Carman for the future. Would be great leadership and a mentor.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 05:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That is why it was my ideal scenario at the moment. Honestly trading for Havenstein or Bolles would also be ideal.

I just like Lewan if he can stay healthy for a bit and helping out Carman for the future. Would be great leadership and a mentor.

Ideal or dream scenario lol? I’m okay with an open competition between Jonah and Carman. I’m okay with moving up to guarantee a great RT in the draft or TE. Preferably a RT and make sure Collins is working to save his job. I’m the Lone Ranger for sure but I think Mixon stays for a reduced contract but with protection and assurances. I think Perine stays as well and Hurst. This staff and FO/Mgt are all focused on keeping as many players as possible as I think the players like Hurst and Pratt are but want protection and I don’t blame them. If Hurst returns go low and get a tackle in round 1. A good one.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 05:54 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Ideal or dream scenario lol? I’m okay with an open competition between Jonah and Carman. I’m okay with moving up to guarantee a great RT in the draft or TE. Preferably a RT and make sure Collins is working to save his job. I’m the Lone Ranger for sure but I think Mixon stays for a reduced contract but with protection and assurances. I think Perine stays as well and Hurst. This staff and FO/Mgt are all focused on keeping as many players as possible as I think the players like Hurst and Pratt are but want protection and I don’t blame them. If Hurst returns go low and get a tackle in round 1. A good one.

I agree with you on Perine and Hurst coming back...but I don't see Mixon back, even on a reduced deal. You can't have a back that has a combined 35 pass blocking grade over the last 2 years unless he brings something special / different to the roster. Mixon just doesn't fit this offense anymore, IMO.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 06:05 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I agree with you on Perine and Hurst coming back...but I don't see Mixon back, even on a reduced deal. You can't have a back that has a combined 35 pass blocking grade over the last 2 years unless he brings something special / different to the roster. Mixon just doesn't fit this offense anymore, IMO.

In light of the past two newsworthy events surrounding Joe Mixon this year, I'm a little surprised that the team didn't capitalize on the moment and announce that the offense would be switching up to the pistol formation next season.   Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 05:54 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Ideal or dream scenario lol? I’m okay with an open competition between Jonah and Carman. I’m okay with moving up to guarantee a great RT in the draft or TE. Preferably a RT and make sure Collins is working to save his job. I’m the Lone Ranger for sure but I think Mixon stays for a reduced contract but with protection and assurances. I think Perine stays as well and Hurst. This staff and FO/Mgt are all focused on keeping as many players as possible as I think the players like Hurst and Pratt are but want protection and I don’t blame them. If Hurst returns go low and get a tackle in round 1. A good one.

How is it a dream scenario? Lewan said he would love to play for the Bengals, he has had problems with injuries so a 1 year prove 
it deal is probably what he gets wherever he goes and he gets a shot at a ring here. If he isn't signed early his price will go down.

I am also okay with an open competition between Jonah and Carman, but that is not ideal. Jonah was pretty bad last year and we 
don't know what we have in Carman yet. He showed well finally at LT, so there is hope, but it isn't a sure thing Carman is the future
LT at all and we need that to be a surety on Burrow's blind side. Lewan would help out Carman big time.

I think we only get 1 OT in FA though and that most likely is Eluemunor and I would also be fine with that as long as we draft a 
future RT somewhat early. 

Dream scenario? I think you are dreaming thinking Mixon will be back honestly. Bring back Perine and maybe even bring in Jamaal
Williams who is a good pass blocker. I think we cut Mixon after 6/1 when it saves money. He can go to a run first Offense. We need
pass protectors here.

(03-12-2023, 06:05 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I agree with you on Perine and Hurst coming back...but I don't see Mixon back, even on a reduced deal. You can't have a back that has a combined 35 pass blocking grade over the last 2 years unless he brings something special / different to the roster. Mixon just doesn't fit this offense anymore, IMO.

This.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 06:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: How is it a dream scenario? Lewan said he would love to play for the Bengals, he has had problems with injuries so a 1 year prove 
it deal is probably what he gets wherever he goes and he gets a shot at a ring here. If he isn't signed early his price will go down.

I am also okay with an open competition between Jonah and Carman, but that is not ideal. Jonah was pretty bad last year and we 
don't know what we have in Carman yet. He showed well finally at LT, so there is hope, but it isn't a sure thing Carman is the future
LT at all and we need that to be a surety on Burrow's blind side. Lewan would help out Carman big time.

I think we only get 1 OT in FA though and that most likely is Eluemunor and I would also be fine with that as long as we draft a 
future RT somewhat early. 

Dream scenario? I think you are dreaming thinking Mixon will be back honestly. Bring back Perine and maybe even bring in Jamaal
Williams who is a good pass blocker. I think we cut Mixon after 6/1 when it saves money. He can go to a run first Offense. We need
pass protectors here.

This.

I just think Lewan is going to want 8 million and I don’t see us doing that. They’ve been down that road with Collins. I just think they want to keep that 8 million to resign guys. We’ll see about Mixon but I’ve dug in on him returning and even if reduced not nearly as low as most would like.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 06:38 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I just think Lewan is going to want 8 million and I don’t see us doing that. They’ve been down that road with Collins. I just think they want to keep that 8 million to resign guys. We’ll see about Mixon but I’ve dug in on him returning and even if reduced not nearly as low as most would like.

If Lewan wants that much I say nada, was just saying what my ideal scenario might be. When healthy Lewan is much better 
than say Donavan Smith and it would be nice to have a proven player at both LT and RT rather than Jonah and Carman, Jonah
has proven he cannot stay healthy just the same as Lewan. Carman isn't a sure thing yet etc.

Trading for Havenstein is a damn good thought that BTW said though. Hadn't heard that and that would make RT solid.

I just don't think Mixon fits our Offense anymore as Holic said, it isn't even all about the money. We need all our RB's to be 
solid in pass protection.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 06:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If Lewan wants that much I say nada, was just saying what my ideal scenario might be. When healthy Lewan is much better 
than say Donavan Smith and it would be nice to have a proven player at both LT and RT rather than Jonah and Carman, Jonah
has proven he cannot stay healthy just the same as Lewan. Carman isn't a sure thing yet etc.

Trading for Havenstein is a damn good thought that BTW said though. Hadn't heard that and that would make RT solid.

I just don't think Mixon fits our Offense anymore as Holic said, it isn't even all about the money. We need all our RB's to be 
solid in pass protection.

I’m not as worried as some about the OL they gave up no sacks vs KC game 1. They won a bunch of games in a row when healthy. Long term they’d better get a very good Tackle and I like swapping with Detroit at 18 and supplementing them. 18 should get them a starter and Jonah and Carman at LT gets them okay. A tackle at 18 pushes Collins to come back strong if he doesn’t want to be dumped. I think they want to keep and resign as many as possible. They like this entire team.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 01:54 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: McGlinchey is not that good in pass protection.  He scores high in PFF grades because he is a great run blocker.  I dont think he would help this team as much as a good pass protecting RT

Who would be a good pass protecting RT?
I don't really see any on the FA market or even in the draft that I think could give immediate contribution and be a stud in pass protection.
Maybe I'm not thinking of someone though.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 07:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Who would be a good pass protecting RT?
I don't really see any on the FA market or even in the draft that I think could give immediate contribution and be a stud in pass protection.

Jawaan Taylor is probably the best pure pass protector at RT as far as free agents, but he's estimated to be in the 17m per year range. 

That's why I'm all for Eluemonor at around 4m or so. He can at least start day 1 without breaking the bank, even if you draft someone to be the future guy.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 07:19 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Jawaan Taylor is probably the best pure pass protector at RT as far as free agents, but he's estimated to be in the 17m per year range. 

That's why I'm all for Eluemonor at around 4m or so. He can at least start day 1 without breaking the bank, even if you draft someone to be the future guy.

Getting Eluemonor at around 4 million would be smart

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 07:27 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Getting Eluemonor at around 4 million would be smart

The bonus with him is that if they keep Collins, which seems likely, and he comes back healthy at some point...Eluemunor gives you a solid backup at RT and both G spots.
Reply/Quote
Think Carman will force his way into the line-up next year.

As bad as he played at G, he played at the opposite end of the spectrum at LT and those were some important games, against very good teams. That in no way were not giving their all in the playoffs.

Now I do believe one Starter should try and be added via draft or FA along with a depth piece or two. Hoping FA per think drafting TE Darnell Washington would help OL immensely too. But really don't need much depth added if say a RT was added, per you would have either Carman or Jonah along with Collins as backups at OT already.

Then if Carman pans out ? They could move on from Collins and Jonah next year to free up some cabbage when the "all in" window closes.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I hope they sign a RT. But both the big name ones have warts and we could get a mid tier RT that could play unequal to Collins at the least. We have to draft one to replace Williams but with Jackson needing to see more time at the spot now before we give up on him, we don’t need to go OT at 28.

No free agent OT and it’s definitely at play at 28.

Trade Williams start Jackson who even bad might do better than Williams. Williams is a liability. Last year it was hard to ignore. Hopefully the FO doesn’t.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 07:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Who would be a good pass protecting RT?

Unfortunately, I dont know if there is a stud RT free agent out there with great pass blocking skills.  McGlinchey gave up 6 sacks and 36 pressures.  McGary gave up 6 sacks and just 19 pressures but the year before he gave up 9 sacks with 41 pressures.  Jawaan Taylor gave up 5 sacks with 21 pressures.  The year before he gave up 6 sacks with 34 pressures.  I dont know if any of them are great but Taylor has improved every year in pass protection and is just 25 years old so he would probably be the best.  He did finish in the top 15 in pass protection which Im sure is part of the reason for his expected salary estimates.  He does have a problem in run blocking.  He is very bad at it.

Other names mentioned, Eluemunor gave up just 3 sacks and 26 pressures but he also played less snaps (940 total) than McGlinchey (1210), McGary (1051) and Tayor (1230)

Kelvin Beachum played 1178 snaps and gave up 5 sacks but he will be 34 years old when the season starts.  He is still very solid in pass protection and could provide depth for a very affordable price.  The last projection I saw was 1.5 million a year.  I would rather have Beachum as depth at RT than I would Adeniji.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 01:54 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: McGlinchey is not that good in pass protection.  He scores high in PFF grades because he is a great run blocker.  I dont think he would help this team as much as a good pass protecting RT
On PFF’s charts, McGlinchey recorded a 5.1 percent pressure rate and a 96.9 pass-blocking efficiency grade last season.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 12:10 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Fire Frank Pollard. Hire a good oline coach

This !!!
Reply/Quote
My ideal scenario would be trading back just a bit and landing Dawand Jones to play RT and adding an extra pick or two.

I don't think there will be a major roster churn at OL. I'm sure contract language matters, but if we could walk away from Collins with a good amount of savings it would probably be a good idea. If it's not that much savings adding him to the roster late in the year when he is good and healthy could be pretty clutch.

Jonah is going to get the first snap at LT and it's his job to lose. Sure would be sweet to be able to trade him after the season starts when someone is really desperate for a LT... Then just plug Carman in.

Jonah, Volson, Karras, Cappa, Jones*, Carman, Adeniji, Hill, Smith. Collins PUP

Basically the same group we had as last year. For the 10th spot I don't know about paying a vet. Adeniji and Carman both have a lot of big game experience and we have them as backups already.
Reply/Quote