Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Ideal O-line Scenario
(03-12-2023, 01:54 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: McGlinchey is not that good in pass protection.  He scores high in PFF grades because he is a great run blocker.  I dont think he would help this team as much as a good pass protecting RT

His pass protection has steadily improved since he joined the league and did pretty well last year coming off a significant injury in 2021.  That being said, I look at a former SF 49er linemen a bit like I do as those coming from most of the Big 12 teams:  They don't really do NFL style blocking.  There is a lot of one-read, ball is out.  Not really Bengal offense. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 11:55 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Unfortunately, I dont know if there is a stud RT free agent out there with great pass blocking skills.  McGlinchey gave up 6 sacks and 36 pressures.  McGary gave up 6 sacks and just 19 pressures but the year before he gave up 9 sacks with 41 pressures.  Jawaan Taylor gave up 5 sacks with 21 pressures.  The year before he gave up 6 sacks with 34 pressures.  I dont know if any of them are great but Taylor has improved every year in pass protection and is just 25 years old so he would probably be the best.  He did finish in the top 15 in pass protection which Im sure is part of the reason for his expected salary estimates.  He does have a problem in run blocking.  He is very bad at it.

Other names mentioned, Eluemunor gave up just 3 sacks and 26 pressures but he also played less snaps (940 total) than McGlinchey (1210), McGary (1051) and Tayor (1230)

Kelvin Beachum played 1178 snaps and gave up 5 sacks but he will be 34 years old when the season starts.  He is still very solid in pass protection and could provide depth for a very affordable price.  The last projection I saw was 1.5 million a year.  I would rather have Beachum as depth at RT than I would Adeniji.

I keep forgetting about Jawaan Taylor.
Maybe it was because he allowed over 40 pressures in his first two seasons, and I just never paid attention to him after.
But he's young (just 25 yrs old) and has very long arms, and he is seeming to improve.
Maybe I'd go with him instead of McGlinchey.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Any indication that FA is used to retool the OL this year? I don't think much will change with the OL on the roster. The organization stated they aren't dipping into FA that much and that they like their OL. Duke, Zac, and the current group are fairly transparent when speaking to the media (as much as such a thing is possible).

It would not surprise me if no OL are signed in FA. Depth could be added in the draft.

I hope I'm wrong! Even the slightest improvement through FA for the OL is welcomed.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 07:19 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Jawaan Taylor is probably the best pure pass protector at RT as far as free agents, but he's estimated to be in the 17m per year range. 

That's why I'm all for Eluemonor at around 4m or so. He can at least start day 1 without breaking the bank, even if you draft someone to be the future guy.

I could maybe see Eluemanor, but he's only been a full-time starter just last year.
He spent his first 5 seasons riding the bench.
If he comes at a discount, I would be cool rolling the dice on him, but not if he's doing to cost a decent amount.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 09:43 AM)ochocincos Wrote: If he comes at a discount, I would be cool rolling the dice on him, but not if he's doing to cost a decent amount.

I feel like every FA window has a player perceived as "coming with a discount" that ends up getting a deal rich with years and guaranteed dollars. Anyhow, I hope we improve the OL during the early-tampering period that culminates in signed FA deals.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2023, 10:06 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: What is your ideal scenario for addressing the line and trying to keep it semi reasonable in terms of money and players?

My personal ideal scenario would look something like this:

Release Collins now and save the 4.8m.

Sign Jermaine Eluemunor to start at RT.
Sign Fleming or Beachum as the swing tackle.
Sign Wes Schweitzer. He can play all 3 interior spots, has starting experience and and has usually been solid in the run and pass game, even though he had a down year this past season in Washington. A solid depth piece and insurance policy if you can get him in the 2.5-3m range. 

Draft Anton Harrison if he's still there at 28. He doesn't need to start this year, but can if needed at either T spot. 

Williams
Volson
Karras
Cappa
Eluemunor

Harrison
Fleming or Beachum
Schweitzer
Carman

This scenario revamps the line as a whole for about 6m this year, when you deduct the Collins savings...adding a RT who can also play both G spots, a competent veteran swing tackle, an interior lineman who can play 3 spots and the LT of the future who can start this year if needed. Upgrades the depth, versatility and provides insurance at every position. And you can still keep Carman around just in case. [Image: s0256.gif]

I would be elated if they come close to something like this.

I'm fully onboard releasing Collins. It would basically be a miracle for him to return and be anything close to good. I highly doubt they're going to cut Williams. I'm just hoping he can shake off last years issues.

Carman I'm good with for depth but beyond him we don't have much. They have to sign a couple good Olinemen in free agency and draft a couple as well. I'm also hoping they go Oline at 28, Harrison would be sweet.

Bottom line you can throw all the other BS out the window if we don't fix the Oline.
Reply/Quote
I just wonder if the Bengals view the O-line as a huge need or they view it as a 'Was decent until injuries' thing. I'd guess the latter. But, I guess we'll see.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 01:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I just wonder if the Bengals view the O-line as a huge need or they view it as a 'Was decent until injuries' thing. I'd guess the latter. But, I guess we'll see.

It's hard to me to believe that they don't view the Oline as needing upgrades at least for depth. 
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2023, 12:03 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: 1) Draft Darnell Wright at #28.
2) Draft at least one more IOL.
3) Sign a cheap vet IOL.

Starters: Williams, Volson, Karras, Cappa, Wright
Reserves: Carman, Vet OG, Hill, Pick, Adeniji
Collins on IR/PUP to start.
Waive Smith or move to PS.

Draft Darnell Wright,he is the best RT in this draft,he is 6ft 6in and 333 lbs and handled all D-top linemen at Tenn.He is a stud and will be the man for 10 years.I would go up and get him if need be.Do not pass on this guy.Release Collins.Wright is a top round RT which we really need.He will guard our QB all game.If we pass on this guy,shame on us. Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 01:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I just wonder if the Bengals view the O-line as a huge need or they view it as a 'Was decent until injuries' thing. I'd guess the latter. But, I guess we'll see.

RT is definitely a huge need. We need a starter there...
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 08:05 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: His pass protection has steadily improved since he joined the league and did pretty well last year coming off a significant injury in 2021.  That being said, I look at a former SF 49er linemen a bit like I do as those coming from most of the Big 12 teams:  They don't really do NFL style blocking.  There is a lot of one-read, ball is out.  Not really Bengal offense. 

Any one that knows football, it starts with your lines and two awlful linemen are Jonah Williams and L. Collins,both allowed our QB to get killed everygame,Cut both of them and at 28 or sooner,draft Darnell Wright from Tenn. I have watched this huge RT all season and he is the best.He done an excellent job of blocking the best D-linemen in college,you name them,he handled them. Go get this guy and cut Collins.Big mistake if we allow this guy to get away.He is a day one starter and will be for many years.Go up and get this guy,PLEASE. Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger Tiger
Reply/Quote
Apparently the bucs are considering trading g Shaq mason before cutting him. Getting him and someone like George fant would go a long way toward shoring up the ol. A rookie tackle wouldn’t have to start right away.

Lt williams/carman winner
Lg Mason
C Karras
Rg cappa
Rt fant

Williams/carman loser, volson draft pick key reserves. Line much improved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 02:28 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Apparently the bucs are considering trading g Shaq mason before cutting him.  Getting him and someone like George fant would go a long way toward shoring up the ol.  A rookie tackle wouldn’t have to start right away.

Lt williams/carman winner
Lg Mason
C Karras
Rg cappa
Rt fant

Williams/carman loser, volson draft pick key reserves.  Line much improved

Would be somewhat happy with this, nice thought BenZoo.

Still would rather trade for Havenstein to have him at RT or sign Eluemunor who is a better pass protector than Fant.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 08:05 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: His pass protection has steadily improved since he joined the league and did pretty well last year coming off a significant injury in 2021.  That being said, I look at a former SF 49er linemen a bit like I do as those coming from most of the Big 12 teams:  They don't really do NFL style blocking.  There is a lot of one-read, ball is out.  Not really Bengal offense.  

Don’t know about that but right now Oklahoma Sooner OL guys are raking it in. Trent Williams (best LT) Lane Johnson (a top RT) Creed Humphrey (#2 C), G Ben Powers ( formerly Ravens) just got a huge free agent deal $10 million per year from Denver. Anton Harrison likely first rounder.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 02:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Would be somewhat happy with this, nice thought BenZoo.

Still would rather trade for Havenstein to have him at RT or sign Eluemunor who is a better pass protector than Fant.

Thanks. Not saying this is my preferred option but it could work and be somewhat cost effective for us to sign our own players

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 12:55 AM)bfine32 Wrote: On PFF’s charts, McGlinchey recorded a 5.1 percent pressure rate and a 96.9 pass-blocking efficiency grade last season.

RT McGlinchey is supposedly signing with the Broncos 5 years $87.6 million, $50 guarantee

Broncos are apparently also signing former Raven G Ben Powers 4 year $52 million, $28.5 guarantee

https://www.nfl.com/news/broncos-signing-rt-mike-mcglinchey-to-five-year-87-5-million-deal

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 02:54 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Thanks.  Not saying this is my preferred option but it could work and be somewhat cost effective for us to sign our own players

True, it isn't impossible either. Ideally I would love for us to trade for Havenstein but I doubt that happens. Too good to be true.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 01:14 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It's hard to me to believe that they don't view the Oline as needing upgrades at least for depth. 

I'd say they know they need depth. Starter is what I question.

Note: I'd be looking to upgrade starters too. I'm expressing what I think they think.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 02:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: RT is definitely a huge need. We need a starter there...

For all we know, they might plan on starting Carman until Collins is ready. Hard to say.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2023, 03:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd say they know they need depth. Starter is what I question.

Note: I'd be looking to upgrade starters too. I'm expressing what I think they think.

I hope that's not what they think
Reply/Quote