Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your grill of choice?
(05-27-2018, 01:51 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Well, went to Walmart to investigate this so called Chimney starter thingy and they didnt have one. Either that or someone called ahead and told them I was coming and they hid them in the back. Communist bastids.

Find a store that sells Weber products.  Their chimney starters are the best.
Hell, I wish I was your neighbor.  I've got two that I would give you.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2018, 06:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Oh, you don't know?  It's a metal cylinder, about 5-6 inches in diameter and about 10 inches tall, with air vents at the bottom of it.  You simply put some paper in the bottom, leaving some extending out to light, load the charcoal on top.  Just light the paper, in about 10 minutes the charcoal is "done", just remove the chimney, spread the charcoal and cook.

[Image: ChimneyStarter.jpg]

I have one of these but can’t figure out what in the world the movable rod around the handle is for.

Also, Weber charcoal with thermometer here. Use it probably every other night
Reply/Quote
I have a Brinkmann Trailmaster vertical smoker.....one of the old "R2-D2" Brinkmann Smoke n Grill smokers/charcoal grill, and a Char-Broil 4 burner Commercial Series gas grill that I can control rather well.

On my Trailmaster, I had a friend weld me up a basket for my firebox out of expanded metal, lined the firebox with fire bricks, and put fire bricks in the bottom and around the sides up to the water bowl of the smoke chamber as well.  I made some gaskets for the tunnel and the door.  I can load up the basket with coals and wood, put the lit coals from my chimney on top, get the dampers set right, and smoke at 225 for around 6 hours without touching it.  When I had a load of hickory logs that were cut to size for it, I could fill the basket up halfway, and then throw some logs on top and smoke for around 9 hours or more without touching it.  Old school stick burner....

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEsnZUqBr-Ego4DayfV-s...5tjC377U2o]

[Image: br-trl-vrt-2gt-2.jpg]

[Image: photo.jpg]
[Image: iSmellBBQ_Brinkman_Smoke_N_Grill_Front.jpg]

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Traeger 22 series wood pellet grill. Nice even cook and the digital thermometer makes it super accurate.

Haven't done any smoking with it yet. Looking forward to slow cooking some pit beef.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2018, 11:28 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Traeger 22 series wood pellet grill. Nice even cook and the digital thermometer makes it super accurate.

Haven't done any smoking with it yet. Looking forward to slow cooking some pit beef.

In my experience, pellet grills are ok for smoking small stuff (brats, salmon, vegetables) but the smoke doesn’t penetrate well on larger, slower meats (butts, ribs, roasts). Not sure if it’s because a good amount of the smoke is pulled out by the fan inside the grill or if it’s a difference in the wood.
Reply/Quote
I am so jealous of all of you right now. I rent an apartment and I'm not allowed a grill. We're starting to house hunt, though, and so this time next year I may be joining your ranks.

Oddly enough, I do have a chimney, though. It's because I use it when car camping or I go to a park with the family.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
I like my weber.
Reply/Quote
(05-29-2018, 09:13 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I have a Brinkmann Trailmaster vertical smoker.....one of the old "R2-D2" Brinkmann Smoke n Grill smokers/charcoal grill, and a Char-Broil 4 burner Commercial Series gas grill that I can control rather well.

On my Trailmaster, I had a friend weld me up a basket for my firebox out of expanded metal, lined the firebox with fire bricks, and put fire bricks in the bottom and around the sides up to the water bowl of the smoke chamber as well.  I made some gaskets for the tunnel and the door.  I can load up the basket with coals and wood, put the lit coals from my chimney on top, get the dampers set right, and smoke at 225 for around 6 hours without touching it.  When I had a load of hickory logs that were cut to size for it, I could fill the basket up halfway, and then throw some logs on top and smoke for around 9 hours or more without touching it.  Old school stick burner....

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEsnZUqBr-Ego4DayfV-s...5tjC377U2o]

[Image: br-trl-vrt-2gt-2.jpg]

[Image: photo.jpg]
[Image: iSmellBBQ_Brinkman_Smoke_N_Grill_Front.jpg]

That bottom picture is exactly what I have. I smoked up a couple loins on my maiden smokin’ voyage over the weekend. They turned out great but I’m not a fan of the smoker itself. I didn’t put enough charcoal in the pan in the beginning and it’s next to impossible to add any extra when you have it loaded. I checked the meat two hours into the process and lost all my ‘heat’. Once the heat was gone, it was game over for the smoking. I brought the loins inside and finished them in the oven. Still tasted great, but I don’t think I’m a fan of the little Brinkman Smoke n Grill. Might look into an electric one here this year. Any recommendations?
I still love my Weber kettle grill. I can smoke just about anything I want in it and have it taste just as good. I’d put my ribs I slow grill on it up against any professional’s ribs. Guy Feriri and his fancy hair suck it! :)
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(05-29-2018, 10:15 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: That bottom picture is exactly what I have. I smoked up a couple loins on my maiden smokin’ voyage over the weekend. They turned out great but I’m not a fan of the smoker itself. I didn’t put enough charcoal in the pan in the beginning and it’s next to impossible to add any extra when you have it loaded. I checked the meat two hours into the process and lost all my ‘heat’. Once the heat was gone, it was game over for the smoking. I brought the loins inside and finished them in the oven. Still tasted great, but I don’t think I’m a fan of the little Brinkman Smoke n Grill. Might look into an electric one here this year.  Any recommendations?
I still love my Weber kettle grill. I can smoke just about anything I want in it and have it taste just as good. I’d put my ribs I slow grill on it up against any professional’s ribs.  Guy Feriri and his fancy hair suck it! :)

Yeah, the R2-D2 is a chore....I cut my teeth on it. I have a solution for you on that.  Swap the water pan for the coal pan, and do not sit your "new" coal pan in the supplied grooves on the legs (won't fit anyway).  I sat the pan on some bricks, which makes it easier to simply pull the pan out, or lift the entire smoker up off of it in order to restoke your fire.  I still use it from time to time when camping, or at the racetrack.  It takes longer, but it'll work.

I tried an electric, and I wasn't much of a fan....I'm partial to the stick burners, but you might look into one of those upright propane smokers for ease.

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 02:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah, the R2-D2 is a chore....I cut my teeth on it. I have a solution for you on that.  Swap the water pan for the coal pan, and do not sit your "new" coal pan in the supplied grooves on the legs (won't fit anyway).  I sat the pan on some bricks, which makes it easier to simply pull the pan out, or lift the entire smoker up off of it in order to restoke your fire.  I still use it from time to time when camping, or at the racetrack.  It takes longer, but it'll work.

I tried an electric, and I wasn't much of a fan....I'm partial to the stick burners, but you might look into one of those upright propane smokers for ease.

In the beginning, I thought about just putting the pan on the ground and setting the smoker down on top of it.  But didn't end up doing that.  I'll try that next time.  Ribs are going up next.  Then my Dad wants me to try smoking some fish.  Have you tried that before? 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 02:54 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: In the beginning, I thought about just putting the pan on the ground and setting the smoker down on top of it.  But didn't end up doing that.  I'll try that next time.  Ribs are going up next.  Then my Dad wants me to try smoking some fish.  Have you tried that before? 

I've smoked my share of salmon filets.....even done a few on the R2-D2.  Man, is it ever good! :andy:

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2018, 01:51 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Well, went to Walmart to investigate this so called Chimney starter thingy and they didnt have one. Either that or someone called ahead and told them I was coming and they hid them in the back. Communist bastids.

Get an original chimney starter, i.e. a coffee can full of holes around the bottom and a pair of channel locks (to pick it up once the coals are lit).

That's how my old man did it when I was a kid (and before he got his first gas grill).
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 07:35 PM)Wyche Wrote: I've smoked my share of salmon filets.....even done a few on the R2-D2.  Man, is it ever good! :andy:

You ever smoke turkey breast?  Whenever I go to either of my favorite local joints, it's always a tough call between the BBQ, Brisket, or smoked turkey.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 08:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You ever smoke turkey breast?  Whenever I go to either of my favorite local joints, it's always a tough call between the BBQ, Brisket, or smoked turkey.

No, but I've smoked quite a few whole birds.  I typically fire the smoker up for big crowds, so it's usually quite a bit of food.  Now that you've mentioned this, I may try a breast for the fam.  If I'm doing just a small gathering, I'll do ribs, chickens, or salmon.  The key to good bird, is a good brine. :andy:

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 08:13 PM)Wyche Wrote: No, but I've smoked quite a few whole birds.  I typically fire the smoker up for big crowds, so it's usually quite a bit of food.  Now that you've mentioned this, I may try a breast for the fam.  If I'm doing just a small gathering, I'll do ribs, chickens, or salmon.  The key to good bird, is a good brine. :andy:

Good to know.  I'll remember that, when the time comes that I purchase a smoker and start learning how to work it.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
For “day to day” grilling I use my Weber kettle grill. When smoking, or grilling for a large group I use my Char Griller Smokin’ Pro.

As for fuel it’s lump charcoal and a chimney exclusively. And of course wood when barbecuing.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 08:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You ever smoke turkey breast?  Whenever I go to either of my favorite local joints, it's always a tough call between the BBQ, Brisket, or smoked turkey.

I will often smoke a turkey breast tenderloin if I’m making bbq and I know it won’t be ready in time for dinner. Quick and delicious.
Reply/Quote

Lowes and Home Depot definitely should have them. The one around here had them last weekend, as I went there to buy a new gas grill.

Speaking of, my gas grill was on sale for $150, a 5 burner stainless steel one. Want to know the difference between that and one I saw for $700.

$550! Its a gas grill!!! Hilarious
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
[Image: 1295553069_bengals-chad-ochocinco-grill.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I have an old funky grill , the old style and use pieces of dried hardwood trees from the yard to burn.  If you live in the southern states you probably have access to crape mertyle trees.. Let the branches dry and they burn nice and hot and even .Hickory and mesquite is good too if you have access . Generally hardwood of most types works.. The harder and denser the better.   
C'mon folks.. starting a fire ain't exactly rocket science.. lol 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote