Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Youth Football protest
https://gma.yahoo.com/texas-youth-football-team-continue-protesting-anthem-despite-024900841--abc-news-topstories.html

Quote:The Beaumont Bulls, a youth football team in Beaumont, Texas, whose members are receiving death threats after following the lead of San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick in protesting the national anthem over America's treatment of "blacks and people of color," as Kaepernick explained to NFL Media, will continue their demonstration, according to the team's coach and the mother of one of the players.
April Parkerson, the mother of 11-year-old running back Jaelun Parkerson, confirmed to ABC News that players on the team have received threatening messages. She said the team's protest of the national anthem "will continue."
Rah Rah Barber, the team's coach, concurred with Parkerson, saying he never imagined the response to the team's actions would "get to this point." He said the threats have showed "how far behind we are as a society."
The attention surrounding the team's protest started last Saturday, when Barber, along with his coaching staff and team, kneeled and placed their hands on each other's shoulders in silence before the playing of the national anthem.
Parkerson described this summer as a "turning point" in her son's awareness of race and politics and said he first wanted to take action after videos of the police shooting deaths of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile were posted online.
"[Jaelun] asked me what we could do about it," Parkerson said. "So when news of Kaepernick's protest broke, a lightbulb went off. Then when Brandon Marshall joined in, he said, 'OK, we're going to do this.'"
Barber acknowledged Kaepernick as an influence as well and said he became motivated to read up on the history of the national anthem.
He added that one of his players approached him with a photo of the protests of the anthem and told him that the team wanted to join it.
"I said to the team, 'Do you know what this means?'" Barber said. "And they said that they did. So I went to their parents for their approval."

Speaking on behalf of her son, who was in school, Parkerson said that the purpose of the protest was not to insult the military or police but to show solidarity with other protesters and to help bring attention to issues of racial injustice.
She said the youth football league's board of directors gave permission for the team to stage the demonstration.
Still, permission and expressions of support from many people haven't stopped some from sending death threats to the team.
Parkerson sent ABC News screen shots of some of the threats, which have mostly been made on social media from people living outside Beaumont.
One Facebook user from Oklahoma called for Barber to be lynched.
"Hatred like that is everywhere," Parkerson said. "But there's also so much love."
Barber, who said he involves himself in youth football to keep kids off the streets, isn't fazed by the racist comments directed at him online.
"I ignore it," he said. "It's the kids I worry about. If they ever felt threatened, I would advise their parents to reach out to authorities."
ABC News contacted the Beaumont Police Department and the FBI to ask whether the threats against Bulls players and coaches are under investigation, but the calls were not immediately returned.
Parkerson, who is white and is married to a black man, said she and her son admire Kaepernick for what she described as the bravery he shows in taking a stand. She said her son, who is biracial like Kaepernick, felt inspired by him.
"Colin didn't have to take this subject on," she said. "But he decided to use the platform he had to speak up for people who have no voice."
When kids are receiving threats for exercising their First Amendment right, maybe there is a legitimate reason for the protest in the first place.
(09-16-2016, 11:36 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: https://gma.yahoo.com/texas-youth-football-team-continue-protesting-anthem-despite-024900841--abc-news-topstories.html

When kids are receiving threats for exercising their First Amendment right, maybe there is a legitimate reason for the protest in the first place.

BINGO.

My brain hurts when I hear people say that American soldiers died so that you could be forced to stand when the anthem is played. That is completely wrong. Soldiers in Nazi Germany died so that Germans could be forced to stand when the German anthem was played. They died so you could be forced to salute and say, "Heil Hitler!" If you failed to do either, you were subject to being put on a truck or a train and taken to a camp, or just shot in the street. American soldiers died for our rights, including our First Amendment rights. Protest is a completely patriotic and completely American act. Suppressing protest is completely unpatriotic and anti-American and it betrays a fascist tendency in those who would suppress protest. And the irony, of course, is they take their fascist tack, up to and including death threats, in the name of patriotism. It is appalling.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Similar to the Potty-mouthed Princesses video my thoughts lean toward this might be more of parent(s) using their children as pawns.

WTS, there is absolutely nothing these children have done that could come close to justify hatered.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-16-2016, 12:41 PM)xxlt Wrote: BINGO.

My brain hurts when I hear people say that American soldiers died so that you could be forced to stand when the anthem is played.

No one should be forced to stand for the anthem and I doubt this force is as prevalent as you espouse it to be.

WTS, a person who thinks you should stand have every bit the right to voice his or her opinion as the person who chooses not to stand.

(09-16-2016, 12:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No one should be forced to stand for the anthem and I doubt this force is as prevalent as you espouse it to be.

WTS, a person who thinks you should stand have every bit the right to voice his or her opinion as the person who chooses not to stand.

I most know a lot more "real Americans," "true Conservatives," and "pro-military" people than you do. I get a steady diet of the force them to stand, boycott the NFL, Kaepernick is an asshole, anyone who doesn't stand hates America, etc. rhetoric in my community and on social media feeds.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(09-16-2016, 12:58 PM)xxlt Wrote: I most know a lot more "real Americans," "true Conservatives," and "pro-military" people than you do. I get a steady diet of the force them to stand, boycott the NFL, Kaepernick is an asshole, anyone who doesn't stand hates America, etc. rhetoric in my community and on social media feeds.

Well, if you say so; who am I to argue? But I haven't seen anyone forced to stand, but you know more of those "pro-military" people than I.

(09-16-2016, 01:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well, if you say so; who am I to argue?

You are a guy who makes great lists!
Figured I'd put this here instead of starting a shiny new thread:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rapinoe-kneels-for-anthem-again-ahead-of-u-s-national-team-game-003056979.html

Quote:In spite of apparently being told by U.S. Soccer that she was expected to stand for the national anthem when she represented the national team, Rapinoe once again took a knee, as she had done before a Seattle Reign game on Sept. 5.

Does the dynamic of playing for a National Team affect anyone's view of whether you should stand or not?

A local high school had a similar issue. One of the players on the team they're playing today tweeted "Try to disrespect the flag on our field, see what happens to you" or something along those lines.

The school itself has held town halls to talk about the issue with students and allow open conversation.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(09-16-2016, 01:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Figured I'd put this here instead of starting a shiny new thread:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rapinoe-kneels-for-anthem-again-ahead-of-u-s-national-team-game-003056979.html

Does the dynamic of playing for a National Team affect anyone's view of whether you should stand or not?

Nope.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-16-2016, 01:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Figured I'd put this here instead of starting a shiny new thread:

For a international team sport, no.

I highly suspect that TEAM USA fund donations will be down now. Way to show up everyone else!!
Its the lack of respect...

No respect for the country.

I didnt sign up to fight so people can shit on my flag.

Now its the cool thing to do to have zero respect for the country. I bet we will have a productive group of citizens formed from this bullshit. No respect for cops, no respect for the country, and experts at playing the victim card.

The leader of the movement who wore pig socks is helping create a new group who knows nothing about respect. And when black men are responsible for more deaths of other black men than anything, how does shitting on your country help that?
You want respect. But show none. Piss all the way off.
(09-16-2016, 02:56 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Its the lack of respect...

Now its the cool thing to do to have zero respect for the country. I bet we will have a productive group of citizens formed from this bullshit. No respect for cops, no respect for the country, and experts at playing the victim card.

The leader of the movement who wore pig socks is helping create a new group who knows nothing about respect. And when black men are responsible for more deaths of other black men than anything, how does shitting on your country help that?

Maybe they'll have respect for everyone...not just those claiming they earned it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-16-2016, 02:35 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: For a international team sport, no.

I highly suspect that TEAM USA fund donations will be down now. Way to show up everyone else!!

I disagree with this. When you play for your privately owned team feel free the stand, sit, laydown, ect... Just don't get upset when folks give you their opinion of your behavior; as if your right to free speech overrides theirs.

But when you are representing your country, on a team funded by your country, and wearing a uniform that supports your country you should be bound to honor it in a manner deemed worthy. If you cannot bring yourself to do this, then why are you on the team?

(09-16-2016, 03:05 PM)GMDino Wrote: Maybe they'll have respect for everyone...not just those claiming they earned it.

A movement based on showing disrespect will magically be infused with respect? Doubt it. 

They are protesting the country and police. 

Teaching more hate for cops and a disdain for the country does not equal more respect for everyone.
(09-16-2016, 03:11 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I disagree with this. When you play for your privately owned team feel free the stand, sit, laydown, ect... Just don't get upset when folks give you their opinion of your behavior; as if your right to free speech overrides theirs.

But when you are representing your country, on a team funded by your country, and wearing a uniform that supports your country you should be bound to honor it in a manner deemed worthy. If you cannot bring yourself to do this, then why are you on the team?

Sorry, I worded it incorrectly. For an international team funded by the citizens, you should be respectful and stand.

Yes. When you are chosen to represent your country and accept, your rights as a citizen are terminated. Duh!
(09-16-2016, 02:56 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Its the lack of respect...

Yeah. Its just a shame. A lot of people think this country used to be so great, and it isn't anymore. And they think it is cool to run around talking about how messed up America is. Some guy is even having rallies all over the country and that is all he talks about - how America is a mess, a real train wreck. It is a shame that a guy like that can disrespect America, shit on the flag, call America a mess, and vow to make it better, or even great again. What a lack of respect.
(09-16-2016, 03:43 PM)xxlt Wrote: Yes. When you are chosen to represent your country and accept, your rights as a citizen are terminated. Duh!

Hey look up there in the forum: It's a liberal, it's a lefty, it's Strawman!!

As far as I am concerned they will be kneeling forever with their beloved afro bearded Kaepernick. But what else can the federal government do, especially when the President of said federal government is black? Maybe its me, but they are protesting the flag of the national government that has passed numerous laws in the past 50+ years in regards to civil liberties and discrimination. So again, what else can the government of the flag they are protesting do?

That said thankfully they arent living in some countries out there that if they did this they would be barred from sports if not worse for not standing to their anthems.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V