Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ZT needs to change the offense right now
(10-02-2019, 11:27 PM)jason Wrote: Don't forget the Bruins... Pretty sure they won the Stanley Cup in the not so distant past. The Celtics also hung a banner 10 years ago.

Yep. They won it in 2011. And they were in the finals just last year.

There’s no debate about it, Boston have been the best sports city of the 21 century.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-02-2019, 04:25 PM)BacknDaDey Wrote: Question...could it be that the Bengals O-line Coach is the problem?

A former glass head ever be at fault for anything ever? Where's your sense of only one branch of the military can never be found to be at fault for anything? Now I would understand if he had been a flyboy or a squid or even (gasp) an ordinary US issue grunt, but never one of the glorified squids themselves!  Perish the thought..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
It's obvious that Taylor is not ready to assume play-calling. We need a proper OC in here, and if Lou can't turn this defense around then maybe JDR should get another phone call too. We need experience on this coaching staff, in the worst possible way.

An experienced coaching staff can elevate a weak roster. A strong roster can elevate an inexperienced coaching staff.

Having an inexperienced coaching staff and a weak roster? Yikes.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
I feel like ZT will make some changes this week, the good performances in the Seattle and Buffalo game(2nd half) kind of gave us some false security in the scheme and probably the staff as well, I feel game 4 will bring more adjustments.
Reply/Quote
Nobody is prepared to acknowledge the most obvious thing going on?  The Bengals staffs big plan is to suck in the other teams to a false sense of security that they can easily beat the Bengals and then we'll spring the big trap and win the rest of the games this season. The moment they relax even one tiny little bit our juggernaut offensive and defensive schemes will be revealed to shock the football watching world..

Yup..that's been the plan all along.. How could anyone have missed the obvious? Soon as week 18 rolls around we'll win the rest of our regular season games!  I just can't wait..and don't forget that great modifying term always associated with the Bengals.. HANDILY!  If ever there was a term to excite a fan base it would have to be handily...as in "They handily won all their remaining games.." ...after the season was over for good..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Spread Offense, New England style.

The O-Line is having troubles this year, to put it mildly.
Get the ball out of Andy's hands FAST.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 02:15 PM)GreenDragon Wrote: Spread Offense, New England style.

How about just get the ball AWAY from the horrible O-line as quickly as possible...

Roll the QB out...
Pitch sweeps...
Run off the ends as much as possible...
ONLY run through the line if the defense gives it to you...
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2019, 02:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's sad man that they are so bad. I feel bad for Taylor. He didn't know what he didn't know. He's going to destroy his career.

Coughlin questioned whether he could win here in 2003 the way things were setup...and ZT is the perfect storm. The Bengals gave him authority and he hired this staff...basically inexperienced friends, all with questionable track records.

In free agency, they brought in role players that they were familiar with.

I won't dig it up, but ZT did evaluate the roster and presumably was happy with guys like Bobby Hart and the LB's...or else I doubt the Bengals keep them.

I'd think even ZT would question this roster, however, he was unwilling to question MB, who I still believe is at the center of all this mess.  Or perhaps he has just trained the rest of the family and Duke to think just like him, but I doubt it.

Why won't MB retire?  Because he's having so much fun going to work everyday still having his fingers in everything. 

From an interview on March 28,2019 on ESPN

How have things changed with a new coaching staff?

Brown: "I try to meet with him and others on our staff every day. That’s changed. It used to be just me and Marvin (Lewis). Now we have Katie (Blackburn) and Troy and Paul (Brown) and Duke (Tobin) and Zac, so there’s a bigger group and more voices."

Sure doesn't sound like MB has given up much control at all.  They might have a bigger group with more voices, but MB runs his ship just as he always has.  Actually, I think Marvin probably had more influence on MB than anyone.  I just don't see ZT as that type of guy, especially in his first year with no head coaching experience.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2019, 10:16 AM)740Bengal Wrote: I feel like ZT will make some changes this week,  the good performances in the Seattle and Buffalo game(2nd half) kind of gave us some false security in the scheme and probably the staff as well, I feel game 4 will bring more adjustments.

Game 4 already came and went.  We got our asses waxed, on National TV again, by the Steelers..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 02:15 PM)GreenDragon Wrote: Spread Offense, New England style.

The last thing they can run with the line blocking THIS poorly is a spread - we'd have a QB injured pretty quickly. 
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 06:02 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I'd think even ZT would question this roster, however, he was unwilling to question MB, who I still believe is at the center of all this mess.  Or perhaps he has just trained the rest of the family and Duke to think just like him, but I doubt it.

Why won't MB retire?  Because he's having so much fun going to work everyday still having his fingers in everything. 

Brown: "I try to meet with him and others on our staff every day. That’s changed. It used to be just me and Marvin (Lewis). Now we have Katie (Blackburn) and Troy and Paul (Brown) and Duke (Tobin) and Zac, so there’s a bigger group and more voices."

Sure doesn't sound like MB has given up much control at all.  They might have a bigger group with more voices, but MB runs his ship just as he always has.  Actually, I think Marvin probably had more influence on MB than anyone.  I just don't see ZT as that type of guy, especially in his first year with no head coaching experience.

I would imagine that there is a certain amount of 'groupthink' with the Bengals management. They've been together so long.

We know what Troy Blackburn thought about fans criticizing keeping Bobby Hart.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 06:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Game 4 already came and went.  We got our asses waxed, on National TV again, by the Steelers..

I feel like our schemes on offense and defense fail to adjust to what the opponents do.

I know 8 sacks look terrible...and it is, but we could actually run the ball against the Steelers and SHOULD have run the ball more and not exposed Dalton to all of those sacks. Give Mixon and Bernard the ball. Bernard is paid like a top 15 back...and he had what 5 touches against the Steelers.

So poor playcalling made the lines results much worse than they should have been.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 07:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I feel like our schemes on offense and defense fail to adjust to what the opponents do.

I know 8 sacks look terrible...and it is, but we could actually run the ball against the Steelers and SHOULD have run the ball more and not exposed Dalton to all of those sacks. Give Mixon and Bernard the ball. Bernard is paid like a top 15 back...and he had what 5 touches against the Steelers.

So poor playcalling made the lines results much worse than they should have been.

Some of those runs were likely successful, because they were unexpected.  Not to take anything away from Mixon's effort, he worked his butt off for those yards.  But, the Steelers were in constant pass rush mode, and when we ran, it caught them out of position and left a running lane.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 08:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Some of those runs were likely successful, because they were unexpected.  Not to take anything away from Mixon's effort, he worked his butt off for those yards.  But, the Steelers were in constant pass rush mode, and when we ran, it caught them out of position and left a running lane.

Yes. I think rolling the QB out...and there were other things a good OC could do to slow the blitz.

You're right though...the Steelers kept blitzing time after time.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 06:02 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I'd think even ZT would question this roster, however, he was unwilling to question MB, who I still believe is at the center of all this mess.  Or perhaps he has just trained the rest of the family and Duke to think just like him, but I doubt it.

So, let's see. He subtracts Marvin, adds Katie, Troy, Paul Jr, Duke and Zac, and it all gets significantly worse.

There is such a thing as too many cooks spoil the broth and none of these people have ever been a professional HC before.

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 10:22 PM)BengalChris Wrote: So, let's see. He subtracts Marvin, adds Katie, Troy, Paul Jr, Duke and Zac, and it all gets significantly worse.

There is such a thing as too many cooks spoil the broth and none of these people have ever been a professional HC before.

How can you have accountability with 5 people in charge?

At the end of the day, it's ok to have people give input...but 1 person has to ultimately have the power.

re: Katie, Troy, Paul Jr - Would ANY NFL Team hire any of them as it's GM?
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 10:43 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: How can you have accountability with 5 people in charge?

At the end of the day, it's ok to have people give input...but 1 person has to ultimately have the power.

Yep, exactly.

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2019, 10:43 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: How can you have accountability with 5 people in charge?

This is pretty much the point I'm trying to make.  While there is a lot of background chatter coming from Katie, Troy, Paul and Duke, I believe they  all still have to listen to the "old man" when major decisions are made, especially regarding the draft and free agency. 

Outside of hiring ZT, this offseason sure looked like classic MB general management.

I don't think any NFL team would hire Katie, Troy or Paul.  MB won't even do any of them a solid by giving them the title of GM.  He's always thought his way was best and still does.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
Here is an idea, stop drafting O-lineman from Ohio State (Mr Mike Browns fav school)
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2019, 09:40 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: This is pretty much the point I'm trying to make.  While there is a lot of background chatter coming from Katie, Troy, Paul and Duke, I believe they  all still have to listen to the "old man" when major decisions are made, especially regarding the draft and free agency. 

Outside of hiring ZT, this offseason sure looked like classic MB general management.

I don't think any NFL team would hire Katie, Troy or Paul.  MB won't even do any of them a solid by giving them the title of GM.  He's always thought his way was best and still does.

Was hiring ZT even that innovative? They changed coaches probably 3-4 years too late. Then they hired a coach that wasn't going to get hired as a HC somewhere else. Taylor is inexperienced and likely easy for Bengals Management to control. He won't be speaking out any time soon about how they do things.
Reply/Quote