Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Zac Has Extremely High Confidence in His Coaches
https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/zac-taylor-praises-coaching-staff

Well if its up to Zac you wont be seeing any changes this offseason. Let's hope at least the front office has the smarts to can Turner. I'll be happy if Turner and Lou are gone after this week but thats asking too much in the land of Cincinnati.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 10:21 PM)GodFather Wrote: https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/zac-taylor-praises-coaching-staff

Well if its up to Zac you wont be seeing any changes this offseason. Let's hope at least the front office has the smarts to can Turner. I'll be happy if Turner and Lou are gone after this week but thats asking too much in the land of Cincinnati.

Well, what's he going to say? He will publicly praise them while the front office hands out the pink slips. I think Turner and Eason are the fall guys.
Reply/Quote
I think Eason has done well with his makeshift dline. The young players are still progressing and flashing (Khahil,Lawson,Hubbard), the fresh of the couch dt's have made themselves at home.

Even Hunt looks like a probowler!

I'd think if Lou stays all coaches are pretty safe. Even Turner, who's lines need to gel early in the season, like they have at the end of the last two seasons.

Zimmer being fired is the only thing looking to shake things up around here.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 10:43 PM)jj22 Wrote: Zimmer being fired is the only thing looking to shake things up around here.

That would be amazing if we got Zim back. I just don’t see it happening but would love if it happened.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 11:24 PM)GodFather Wrote: That would be amazing if we got Zim back. I just don’t see it happening but would love if it happened.

Dehner has mentioned that Zim is still very popular among the FO. He also mentioned that if Zim was let go by Minnesota that he could see the team seriously consider moving on from Zac. Now, that was before the 2 game win streak. I could see them pursue Zim heavily for the DC gig if no other team offers him a HC spot. 

They could easily sell Zim to the fan base as a potential Zac replacement if he starts slow again next year.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I don't see zimmer being let go. But I'd love to have him as a head coach.

It's funny though that the same reason zimmer is in a pickle is the same reason people are calling for Zac's head: a lack of talent. Zimmer had some solid years with decent rosters. Then he ended up starting rookies at corner and injuries to starters and having cousins locking down that cap, then suddenly people get upset.
Reply/Quote
I am much more concerned that Zach doesn't appear to be learning ANYTHING. I was willing to give Turner a chance, for instance, but it has to be clear that dude has Got To Go. But Zach has full confidence in him? Good grief
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
The challenge that the team will have is replacing anyone let go. Zac will be in the last year of his contract and will rightly be perceived as going into next season on a blazing hot seat. Any coach with other options would be very reluctant to connect his fate with Zac’s.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
We may be able to use the 1 year to appeal to Zimmer that after a year as the DC he could become head coach if they ship Taylor. He may just want a year before going for a hc role again anyway.
Its a stretch but may work.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 03:10 AM)Benton Wrote: I don't see zimmer being let go. But I'd love to have him as a head coach.

It's funny though that the same reason zimmer is in a pickle is the same reason people are calling for Zac's head: a lack of talent. Zimmer had some solid years with decent rosters. Then he ended up starting rookies at corner and injuries to starters and having cousins locking down that cap, then suddenly people get upset.

Imagine that. 

Zimmer with a 63-47-1 record, a couple division titles, a couple playoff wins, and is in a pickle.
Taylor with a 6-24-1 record, a couple division last places, a couple mathematically eliminated from playoffs real early, and is expected to be back.

....Just realized that at current pace, Taylor will need 20 more seasons to surpass Zimmer's current win total as a HC. He would be 66-250-10 after the 2040 season.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Can anyone point to any examples of a) Head Coaches publicly criticizing their coaching staff and b) replacements then queuing up to work for that HC?

Reporter asks loaded question and as the public face of the franchise (there's no official GM and the owner only speaks once or twice a year to the media, leaving the Head Coach as the one who has to front up to such questions) it falls on the HC to defend the staff. So the HC expresses confidence in them with some bland platitudes in the same way that when they are replaced in a few weeks he'll say "[Departed Coach] goes with our best wishes but we felt it was time to go in a different direction". He may add "we're grateful for all the work he did" before pivoting to speak at length at how excited they are with the new hire and the direction they are now going.

Presumably the next article is about ursine defecation in areas of thick growth of trees?
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 08:42 AM)Bernards watch Wrote: We may be able to use the 1 year to appeal to Zimmer that after a year as the DC he could become head coach if they ship Taylor. He may just want a year before going for a hc role again anyway.
Its a stretch but may work.

Zimmer has had his opportunity with a good organization and he has failed.

Why would you want him to come to a Bengals team that you think is a bad organization.

With the Bengals he would never be better than 9-7.

That is why I would stick with ZT to let his plan play out. I think this Covid season set him back a year but I like what I see.

I certainly like an offense that is not predictable like ML was.
Reply/Quote
When we weren't winning games, and couldn't pass block...Zac was putting out statements about how much confidence he had in Turner and the o-line. It shouldn't surprise anyone that he says this stuff now after winning 2 games. To Zac, this is probably validation that staying the course works...when it reality, he was forced to change because of Finley and Allen starting.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 03:10 AM)Benton Wrote: I don't see zimmer being let go. But I'd love to have him as a head coach.

When coaching/scheme is bad and a team wins 6.5 games over 2 years...the talent always looks bad.

In reality, this team has more talent than their level of play. Much more.

And the Cousins locking down the cap thing you note, is going to happen here in a few years when Burrow signs a huge extension. If people think they have trouble building a team now, wait until Burrow is making $45 million a year. Drafting will be MORE important.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 09:59 AM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: Zimmer has had his opportunity with a good organization and he has failed.

Why would you want him to come to a Bengals team that you think is a bad organization.

With the Bengals he would never be better than 9-7.

That is why I would stick with ZT to let his plan play out. I think this Covid season set him back a year but I like what I see.

I certainly like an offense that is not predictable like ML was.

I just don't see Zimmer as a good fit here either. I mean as a coach he's ok, but with this organization...I don't know.

I wouldn't say he's failed with the Vikings though. I'd say he's been above average.

re: The Covid offseason...come on. EVERY TEAM had to deal with that this year. EVERY.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 10:14 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I just don't see Zimmer as a good fit here either. I mean as a coach he's ok, but with this organization...I don't know.

I wouldn't say he's failed with the Vikings though. I'd say he's been above average.

re: The Covid offseason...come on. EVERY TEAM had to deal with that this year. EVERY.

Nonsense. The Bengals are literally the only team that had to deal with covid, injuries to starters, a tough division, etc. Ninja

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2020, 10:21 PM)GodFather Wrote: https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/zac-taylor-praises-coaching-staff

I still believe the report that at least one coach will be let go in the offseason.
It would take a fantastic draft and FA to get me wanting to watch the start of the season next year if all the coaches stay the same.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Right.  And coming off back to back wins, now is the time to cash in your chips. 

The only real coach I want to see gone is Turner.  He has consistently done nothing positive.  And I think he is a cancer.  
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2020, 11:19 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I still believe the report that at least one coach will be let go in the offseason.
It would take a fantastic draft and FA to get me wanting to watch the start of the season next year if all the coaches stay the same.

Not trying to be a prique, but we should make a sticky of all the folks on here that aren't coming back to the boards and won't watch the games if A, B, or C doesn't happen.  
Reply/Quote
The only thing I would want Zimmer back for is DC... period.
Reply/Quote