Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Zac Taylor
(01-18-2024, 05:38 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yes, hindsight shows that to be a mistake. He was a complete unknown, and I don't think they trusted him. They should've. Joe of course said he was good to go, and the 100 % shotgun and short dump offs shows they didn't trust his word fully either, lol. 

Sure does. Preseason and practice evidently didn't show enough good things for them to trust Browning.

This shows you cannot always trust preseason and practice as well. Browning looked pretty damn good in games going against NFL Defenses
for the most part. Guess the coach's never saw this until it happened, one good thing that came from this season. Also, Burrow might of learned
a ton sitting on the bench and seeing Browning do very well at times under Center and in the Shotgun.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2024, 05:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sure does. Preseason and practice evidently didn't show enough good things for them to trust Browning.

This shows you cannot always trust preseason and practice as well. Browning looked pretty damn good in games going against NFL Defenses
for the most part. Guess the coach's never saw this until it happened, one good thing that came from this season. Also, Burrow might of learned
a ton sitting on the bench and seeing Browning do very well at times under Center and in the Shotgun.

I'd say Joe saw some things to tweak, and I'd say the offensive staff did as well.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2024, 10:25 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Atta boy! Embrace him! lol

He's still #3 behind Whitworth and Dunlap for me, but what I said when he was drafted still rings true: he'll probably move up to #2 VERY soon.

Whitworth is untouchable

I loved watching Dunlap when he was here. He was a freakish athlete.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2024, 10:25 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Atta boy! Embrace him! lol

He's still #3 behind Whitworth and Dunlap for me, but what I said when he was drafted still rings true: he'll probably move up to #2 VERY soon.

Whitworth is untouchable

I'll give you props for original choices for your favorites Bengals!
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 02:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Personally, I think that Zac and company saw in the first Pittsburgh game that Browning out of the gun was not even remotely capable of running the spread like Burrow does.  The transition to mostly under Center was something that most teams did not have a lot of footage of the Bengals, let along Jake Browning running.  Sure, Browning was able to get the team to rally with him, and they reeled off a few wins to keep the season interesting.  However, against tougher defenses like KC and Baltimore, the Browning led offense just had no answer.

You do know Browning had higher qbr rating than Burrow did in last year's afc championship game , so guess Burrow had no answer either  using your logic.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 02:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Personally, I think that Zac and company saw in the first Pittsburgh game that Browning out of the gun was not even remotely capable of running the spread like Burrow does.  The transition to mostly under Center was something that most teams did not have a lot of footage of the Bengals, let along Jake Browning running.  Sure, Browning was able to get the team to rally with him, and they reeled off a few wins to keep the season interesting.  However, against tougher defenses like KC and Baltimore, the Browning led offense just had no answer.

Joe Burrow in his end of season presser said the offense was the same for Jake as for him. That they had worked on all those things for him but were protecting his calf. They were obviously saving it for the big game with SF. Zac said the first game with Jake they already had their game plan in for Pitt and kept it. After that game they learned more what Jake did better and liked. It’s over blown that the staff under the cloak of deep darkness and oil lamps hatched a new offense for Jake. In fact they were able to do some things that they liked that Joe didn’t. But the big deal pointed out by Troy Aikman in talking to the coaches they took away him having to figure protections and simplified that.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I will say whoever is the QB, leave the throwing duties to him. When we had other folks throw it, it didn't work.

We also need to quit throwing screens, sweeps tp JC.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2024, 09:57 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: You do know Browning had higher qbr rating than Burrow did in last year's afc championship game , so guess Burrow had no answer either  using your logic.

You did see that I prefaced my opinion statement with "I think"...right?

So Burrow had the luxury of playing with the 2022 Bengals defense, and came up slightly short in the AFCCG, by your logic if Browning had the same defense backing him he would have wiped the floor with KC?  Sounds silly, doesn't it?  Kind of like digging for a specific apples to oranges comparison to refute a very generalized opinion is as equally silly./

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2024, 05:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Sure does. Preseason and practice evidently didn't show enough good things for them to trust Browning.

for the most part.

As usual you make outstanding observations. Jake Browning played in exemplary fashion against some top tier defenses during the regular season. In the preseason, however, Jake did not take snaps with the first team offense. That makes a huge difference.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2024, 01:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You did see that I prefaced my opinion statement with "I think"...right?

So Burrow had the luxury of playing with the 2022 Bengals defense, and came up slightly short in the AFCCG, by your logic if Browning had the same defense backing him he would have wiped the floor with KC?  Sounds silly, doesn't it?  Kind of like digging for a specific apples to oranges comparison to refute a very generalized opinion is as equally silly./

Burrow also had an OL that was missing 3 starters in that game. It was a miracle we were even in it at all.

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2024, 01:34 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: As usual you make outstanding observations.  Jake Browning played in exemplary fashion against some top tier defenses during the regular season.  In the preseason, however, Jake did not take snaps with the first team offense.  That makes a huge difference.

NFL history is littered with backup QB's who waited on the bench, then when they got their chance they shined. Brady comes to mind, so does Purdy. Sometimes players just play better than they practice, and playing with 2nd and 3rd teams during the preseason can't always show this.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2024, 01:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You did see that I prefaced my opinion statement with "I think"...right?

I think the idea we had no answer for KC was a bit silly since he had a chance to tie game last possession,  my point of Burrow you seemed to single out KC as evidence of lack of ability of Browning,  I think the best backing that Browning and Taylor did a solid job was Browning had best QR rating last 6 games in NFL
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2024, 04:14 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I think the idea we had no answer for KC was a bit silly since he had a chance to tie game last possession,  my point of Burrow you seemed to single out KC as evidence of lack of ability of Browning,  I think the best backing that Browning and Taylor did a solid job was Browning had best QR rating last 6 games in NFL

No sir, I did not.  I said tougher defenses (plural) and gave Baltimore and KC as examples of tougher defenses. Perhaps I should have thrown Pittsburgh in there too, just to be abundantly clear?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2024, 11:59 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I will say whoever is the QB, leave the throwing duties to him. When we had other folks throw it, it didn't work.

We also need to quit throwing screens, sweeps tp JC.

Yes, no one else throw the football. 

Sadly, the quick screens are used more to help the oline with the pass rush as much as anything.  Along with the very rarely successful toss sweeps to Mixon.  One day we will be able to pass block efficiently..... I hope.

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2024, 01:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Burrow also had an OL that was missing 3 starters in that game. It was a miracle we were even in it at all.

So was it a miracle they pounded Bills the week before with missing same starters?? Hard to use same excuse in a lose where they had a win against just as good of team both on the road, Burrow played great vs Bills but not that great vs Chiefs with same line that is the facts.. 
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2024, 07:50 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: So was it a miracle they pounded Bills the week before with missing same starters?? Hard to use same excuse in a lose where they had a win against just as good of team both on the road, Burrow played great vs Bills but not that great vs Chiefs with same line that is the facts.. 

The Bills didn’t have Chris Jones.

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2024, 11:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The Bills didn’t have Chris Jones.

But they did have

Ed Oliver
Shaq Lawson
AJ Epenesa
Greg Rousseau
Jordan Phillips

it's not like there was a lack of talent on that Dline

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2024, 12:20 AM)bfine32 Wrote: But they did have

Ed Oliver
Shaq Lawson
AJ Epenesa
Greg Rousseau
Jordan Phillips

it's not like there was a lack of talent on that Dline

None of those guys are even close to Chris Jones though. There’s not a single Pro Bowler in that group, let alone an All Pro like Jones. Von Miller was the Bills best pass rusher that season, and he was out for the playoffs.

Chris Jones had one of the most dominant performances you’ll see in that AFC Championship. He completely wrecked that game.

2 sacks
5 QB hits
10 pressures

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2024, 12:45 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: None of those guys are even close to Chris Jones though. There’s not a single Pro Bowler in that group, let alone an All Pro like Jones. Von Miller was the Bills best pass rusher that season, and he was out for the playoffs.

Chris Jones had one of the most dominant performances you’ll see in that AFC Championship. He completely wrecked that game.

2 sacks
5 QB hits
10 pressures

You can chalk it up to the lack of talent of the Bills' Dline. I'd say it had more to do with the footing. 

No one is saying Chris Jones is not talented

Reply/Quote
(01-19-2024, 11:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The Bills didn’t have Chris Jones.

so now it is not "three starters down" it is Chris Jones, which then means Browning had same issue that caused his subpar game like Burrow.. got it
Reply/Quote