Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Zac Taylor Future
You have to give a coach time to build his team in HIS image. Some on here are now starting to realize just how bad we were. This is no quick fix, we have holes all over the roster.

We can't become the Browns here folks. You can't fire a HC after two years with this roster, nor can you start calling for Burrow's replacement if he struggles this year or next.

My advice is; Patience. This will take a while to get right.
[Image: n881eg.png]
Reply/Quote
Burrow fell into his lap. Being the worst team in football got him the arguably best player in college football. Should be some team improvement that Zach Taylor does. Two games into season two, some I'm not ready to tar and feather him, yet, but I am checking current tar prices.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 09:08 PM)Capt.Morgan Wrote: You have to give a coach time to build his team in HIS image. Some on here are now starting to realize just how bad we were. This is no quick fix, we have holes all over the roster.

We can't become the Browns here folks. You can't fire a HC after two years with this roster, nor can you start calling for Burrow's replacement if he struggles this year or next.

We're burnin' years on Joe Burrow's rookie contract. I'm sure you've noticed what the going rate for QBs is nowadays. So if you don't maximize the time that your QB is playing on the cheap (allowing you to pay other guys), then you've really done your team a disservice, and blown what is probably your best chance to build a contender... In short; we don't have a while.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 09:08 PM)Capt.Morgan Wrote: You have to give a coach time to build his team in HIS image. Some on here are now starting to realize just how bad we were. This is no quick fix, we have holes all over the roster.

You can’t waste the entire rookie contract of a #1OA QB. If Taylor doesn’t start winning some games I’d say next season should be the absolute longest he should be given.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
If we got the coordinators we got when ZT was 0-0 what caliber of coordinators are going to want to come here and coach under a 6-26 HC who got his first crew fired?

I'm just not sure where the optimism is. And if it's from Burrow luring in good coaches why not toss ZT too?
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 09:12 PM)jason Wrote: We're burnin' years on Joe Burrow's rookie contract. I'm sure you've noticed what the going rate for QBs is nowadays. So if you don't maximize the time that your QB is playing on the cheap (allowing you to pay other guys), then you've really done your team a disservice, and blown what is probably your best chance to build a contender... In short; we don't have a while.

Yep. How’s that Kirk Cousins contract looking right about now?

Reply/Quote
The NFL.is a bottom line business. You either win or lose. Thats it.
The NFL.is structured where you can.go 3 13 one year and 10 and 6 the next year. Dont buy into.the.3.year rebuilding plan. Horsefeathers. When you have that triecta of GM, coach and franchise QB you can be in the playoff conversation every year. So far the Bengals have 1 of 3.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 09:16 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yep. How’s that Kirk Cousins contract looking right about now?

The Vikings made the mistake of thinking a QB who can't beat teams with a winning record was the key to getting to the SB. The mind boggles. 
Reply/Quote
I think you have to be careful tossing your coaches and coordinators when you just drafted your supposedly franchise QB.
How many years did we watch and laugh as the Browns gave a coach one or two years and tossed them and burned through QB after QB as they kept having to learn new systems. Sometimes, you have to swallow your pride and let the young guys develop rather then knee jerk and firing the coach.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 09:12 PM)jason Wrote: We're burnin' years on Joe Burrow's rookie contract.  I'm sure you've noticed what the going rate for QBs is nowadays. So if you don't maximize the time that your QB is playing on the cheap (allowing you to pay other guys), then you've really done your team a disservice, and blown what is probably your best chance to build a contender... In short; we don't have a while.

We're two games into his contract. Don't over-react.

The FO has to replace the right side of the line (I'm not a fan of any of our current players there) and find some way to shore up this defense (DC change, FA maybe?)

So let's say we do fire ZT. Who are you bringing in? Do you see anyone on this staff that you'd trust to turn it around fast?
[Image: n881eg.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 09:21 PM)Capt.Morgan Wrote: We're two games into his contract. Don't over-react.

The FO has to replace the right side of the line (I'm not a fan of any of our current players there) and find some way to shore up this defense (DC change, FA maybe?)

So let's say we do fire ZT. Who are you bringing in? Do you see anyone on this staff that you'd trust to turn it around fast?

Refresh my memory from last season. What were the two biggest weaknesses of the team? Oline and run defense. What are the two biggest weaknesses so far this season? Oline and run defense. What exactly is this coaching staff doing? They aren’t coaching anybody up and their schemes are as bad as last year.

I don’t think any change to HC is happening in season, but the best in house replacement would be Simmons. Otherwise fire ZT the day after the last game and don’t spend 3 months hiring his replacement after every other team looking for a HC has their’s.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 09:20 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I think you have to be careful tossing your coaches and coordinators when you just drafted your supposedly franchise QB.
How many years did we watch and laugh as the Browns gave a coach one or two years and tossed them and burned through QB after QB as they kept having to learn new systems. Sometimes, you have to swallow your pride and let the young guys develop rather then knee jerk and firing the coach.

On the counter side look at the Rams. It was clear Jeff Fisher was part of the problem, and some people were ready to write off Goff as a bad #1 pick, but McVay has obviously done wonders with him since taking over.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting we start copying the Browns model of doing things (I thought firing Dorsey was a mistake), but we also can’t wait around forever if it’s clear Taylor is not the guy. People can hate on Marvin all they want but he came in and starting winning right away.

I don’t think cutting our loses and going after a more qualified HC would be a bad thing.

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 09:21 PM)Capt.Morgan Wrote: We're two games into his contract. Don't over-react.

Simmons as interim the rest of the season, and offer Bieniemy a blank check this offseason.

Reply/Quote

Aren't the Browns that team that went 0-16 after not firing a 1-15 HC?
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 09:13 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If we got the coordinators we got when ZT was 0-0 what caliber of coordinators are going to want to come here and coach under a 6-26 HC who got his first crew fired?

I'm just not sure where the optimism is. And if it's from Burrow luring in good coaches why not toss ZT too?

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner. No one wanted to come work for this loser to start with, they sure as hell aren't going to hitch their wagon and career to a dumpster fire.
Reply/Quote

Yojimbo pretty much summed up my answers to your questions in the post below yours. In house the only guy I trust us Simmons. I'm not sure he's the answer to turn anything around, but he is legit the only proven commodity with a positive track record in this staff... Let that sink in. I think it's so bad that the answers aren't here. Sure; fire Lou... Who takes over DC? I get that, but these guys don't have it man. It was plain to see last year, and with new faces, and "their guys" this year, it's more of the same.

None of us wanna be the Browns with 20 head coaches and 78 QBs. Anybody sayin' Burrow isn't playing his ass off, and doing all he can is crazy... But it's insane to watch the same thing happen game after game after game, and not make some changes. We can't run the ball, can't stop the run, can't protect the passer, can't tackle, can't force turnovers, can't pressure... This isn't a team of scrubs.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 09:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Simmons as interim the rest of the season, and offer Bieniemy a blank check this offseason.

Id offer Pete Carmichael that blank check before Eric Bieniemy but I dont think hes ever going to leave New Orleans. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 09:36 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Aren't the Browns that team that went 0-16 after not firing a 1-15 HC?

At least Hue was man enough to stick out his chest and proclaim there was no way in hell they'd go 0-16, or he'd jump in the lake. Oh yeah... Hue was also coaching a team that traded away anybody who was remotely talented in an obvious effort to tank. Then when things started to turn around, he was canned and ruined. On the other hand; the Bengals had an abnormal FA period for Zac Taylor, and just landed Joe Burrow... I also think Hue Jackson won 8 or so games in Oakland... With Jason ***** Campbell at QB.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2020, 09:32 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: On the counter side look at the Rams. It was clear Jeff Fisher was part of the problem, and some people were ready to write off Goff as a bad #1 pick, but McVay has obviously done wonders with him since taking over.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting we start copying the Browns model of doing things (I thought firing Dorsey was a mistake), but we also can’t wait around forever if it’s clear Taylor is not the guy. People can hate on Marvin all they want but he came in and starting winning right away.

I don’t think cutting our loses and going after a more qualified HC would be a bad thing.

Fisher was given 4 or 5 seasons though before they pulled the plug on him.

I just think 2 games into the second season with a rookie and a pandemic and no real preseason is a little soon to be asking if we should move on from a coach.

But, once again, I realize I think level-headed and rational and that is not common on this board, game day thread is proof of that lol.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-22-2020, 12:38 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Fisher was given 4 or 5 seasons though before they pulled the plug on him.

I just think 2 games into the second season with a rookie and a pandemic and no real preseason is a little soon to be asking if we should move on from a coach.

But, once again, I realize I think level-headed and rational and that is not common on this board, game day thread is proof of that lol.

Oh please. NOBODY from outside the organization or this fan base would fault the team for firing Taylor if he has another season like last year.

When we announced him I had to hear tons of jokes about how we hired Sean McVay’s towel bowl from people I know who are fans of other teams, and so far they have been right. He was a position coach who never had any success calling plays (at UC or Miami), and was clearly not ready to make such a big jump to HC.

Reply/Quote