Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Zac Taylor coaching career analysis.
(09-20-2022, 09:44 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: wait when did that happen?

Crap we stuck with him for 5 more years?

After the SB. It's through 2026. The $40 million is a number I saw reported places, but I don't think the Bengals officially release coaching salary numbers.

https://www.nfl.com/news/zac-taylor-bengals-sign-coach-to-extension-through-2026-season
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 09:56 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: After the SB. It's through 2026. The $40 million is a number I saw reported places, but I don't think the Bengals officially release coaching salary numbers.

https://www.nfl.com/news/zac-taylor-bengals-sign-coach-to-extension-through-2026-season

Wow...   we will see how it goes i guess.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 05:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Getting those 3 consecutive wins late in the season to clinch the division and then squeaking out those 3 playoff victories are what I think changed the tone on Taylor for some.

Prior to that, he was sitting at 7-6 with many (including myself) thinking the team was going to miss the playoffs again.
And now starting at 0-2 we're seeing the same inconsistent performance prior to mid-December last year.

I'm willing to have some patience, but only so much.

The expectation is, at minimum, back to the playoffs.
If he can't get them there, he deserves to be let go for a more creative offensive mind. Or bring in a creative defensive guy who can pick a creative OC.

If this team has less than 4 wins going into the Bye, I want Taylor gone.
With that said, there's no way Mike Brown makes that move after last year.
He'll give him the entire year to turn the ship around.

MB will give him all 5 years.  It's MB. Money > wins
Reply/Quote
I didn't know where to put this we turned out to be successful with it. WTS I didn't agree forgoing the FG for the 4th and 6. Zac's game management is still horrible. I feel Zac's game management makes us have to be more dominant it effects the overall game at the margins.
His early 1st quarter decision to go for it in the SB cost us a championship.
Reply/Quote
This thread is 100% spot on. Zac Taylor is not qualified.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 09:07 AM)Sled21 Wrote: This place is amazing! From the 90's through the present, all we heard was whining about not winning a playoff game, Marvin couldn't get it done in the post season. For much of that time just winning a couple of games was seen as overachieving. Then they hire Taylor and in year 3 the Bengals are in the Super Bowl. Now, after a slow start and 2 losses, he's the worst thing since moldy bread and needs to be fired. Here's a hint, we are never going to win them all. No one does. I have no doubt they'll get it figured out.

Typical Bengals fan hates entitled Pitt and NE fan...then becomes one without even realizing it. 

LMAO

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 07:51 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I may be wrong....hard to believe I know  Hilarious But I feel Zac may be a good HC. I just think he needs to understand he's not an OC and let that go. 

That's how I feel. Zac has the makings of being a good, if not great HC. But, he just clearly doesn't seem to have what it takes to be anything other than an average OC.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 11:30 AM)PhilHos Wrote: That's how I feel. Zac has the makings of being a good, if not great HC. But, he just clearly doesn't seem to have what it takes to be anything other than an average OC.

I'm not so sure he's even that?

I agree he may develop into a really good HC? I'm just doubting at this point in his career and with his results the light is just suddenly going to come on as an OC.

But if he is going to develop into a good/great HC he needs to start identifying the problem, look in the mirror Zac. And be humble enough to fix it.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 12:09 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm not so sure he's even that?

To be fair, I think he can be an average OC when either Joe plays lights out.

(09-20-2022, 12:09 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I agree he may develop into a really good HC? I'm just doubting at this point in his career and with his results the light is just suddenly going to come on as an OC.

But if he is going to develop into a good/great HC he needs to start identifying the problem, look in the mirror Zac. And be humble enough to fix it.

Even great HCs sometimes have flaws, but yeah, I think the thing that will prevent him from ever being a great HC is his insistence to call plays on offense. Hell, just say he wants to focus more time on being a HC and/or he wants to give Callahan a chance to grow as an OC and hopefully be a HC himself one day. Just stop calling plays!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I guess it really shouldn't come as a big shock that NFL jobs aren't exactly advertised in the want ads in the back of magazines and newspapers. They tend to go to people who are well connected in NFL circles. THAT'S a shocker, huh? The entire league is basically owned by 32 people and we don't really get a vote in the matter. We don't even get a vote on the name of the team or what city they're in or team colors. The only vote we get is buy a ticket? Yes/no  Spend money of other junk? Yes/no  If no on any account get lost.. 
it's not exactly a democracy ya know..  Shocked
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Whether we're right or wrong about Zac, has a team ever made the playoffs after firing a coach midseason? I can't remember one. It would be not just unusual, but I think unprecedented. To say nothing of how they made the Super Bowl last year... I don't know if that's ever happened either (unless you're talking about a soap opera divorce like Jimmy Johnson and Jerry Jones). Not saying people want to get rid of Zac, just saying we're stuck with him for now.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 12:16 PM)PhilHos Wrote: To be fair, I think he can be an average OC when either Joe plays lights out.

Even great HCs sometimes have flaws, but yeah, I think the thing that will prevent him from ever being a great HC is his insistence to call plays on offense. Hell, just say he wants to focus more time on being a HC and/or he wants to give Callahan a chance to grow as an OC and hopefully be a HC himself one day. Just stop calling plays!

Then is it the horse pulling the cart or the way around? When either Joe is playing well it's usually because they're put in positions to succeed as it just doesn't happen. It happens when they're more on schedule and/or when they're keeping the defense off balance and ZT and BC both have alot to do with that.There's a heck of alot more going into this than anyone on the board can see.

I'll withhold judgement on ZT as just an average OC/play-caller, or worse, a bit longer. I want to see what happens Sunday that can get this team going offensively early on. Are adjustments being made and are they taking advantage of what the defense is giving them and expoliting opportunities.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 10:54 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Typical Bengals fan hates entitled Pitt and NE fan...then becomes one without even realizing it. 

LMAO

Zac's play calling is bad even in the wins.... that's the issue. 
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 12:44 PM)tms Wrote: Whether we're right or wrong about Zac, has a team ever made the playoffs after firing a coach midseason? I can't remember one. It would be not just unusual, but I think unprecedented. To say nothing of how they made the Super Bowl last year... I don't know if that's ever happened either (unless you're talking about a soap opera divorce like Jimmy Johnson and Jerry Jones). Not saying people want to get rid of Zac, just saying we're stuck with him for now.

Zac will not be fired. He just signed a deal through 2026.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2022, 05:42 PM)JumboTron Wrote: Anyone who truly believes that Taylor will be let go prior to his contract expiring is living in a fantasy world.  ZT can probably coach here as long as he wants after what happened in the postseason last year.

Absolutely not. Taylor earned himself this year because of last year, but if he has 2 bad losing seasons (5-11 or worse) in a row he's gone. Brian Billick comes to mind. And he actually won a Super Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 03:29 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: Absolutely not. Taylor earned himself this year because of last year, but if he has 2 bad losing seasons (5-11 or worse) in a row he's gone. Brian Billick comes to mind. And he actually won a Super Bowl.

Can't compare Billick or any other team to the Bengals. Right or wrong other teams fire coaches they still owe $ to. Bengals just don't do that type of thing and especially within 2-3 minutes of a SB victory.
Reply/Quote
The big issue lurking is if Burrow has a subpar season...he's going to want a contract after the season. The Bengals will probably low ball him and make him mad.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 03:33 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Can't compare Billick or any other team to the Bengals. Right or wrong other teams fire coaches they still owe $ to. Bengals just don't do that type of thing and especially within 2-3 minutes of a SB victory.

I think they have more of a fire lit under their behinds this time though. The Saints used to be the same way, then they get Drew Brees and a Super Bowl win and that changes things.
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 03:29 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: Absolutely not. Taylor earned himself this year because of last year, but if he has 2 bad losing seasons (5-11 or worse) in a row he's gone. Brian Billick comes to mind. And he actually won a Super Bowl.

I think you're forgetting about which franchise ZT coaches for lol.  
Reply/Quote
(09-20-2022, 09:44 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: wait when did that happen?

Crap we stuck with him for 5 more years?

Happened quick after the season. McVay was seriously considering TV and the LA owner was sniffing hard at Zack. His agent longtime relationship with Brown got them a very manageable salary.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote