Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Zac Taylor coaching career analysis.
(10-10-2022, 09:14 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Zac Taylor out thinks himself. It's 3rd and 2 feet and he calls a toss play throwing the ball four yards backwards. A QB sneak on the quick snap works quite often there. HE's making it way harder than it needs to be.

He's the least intuitive OC I can recall every seeing.

The success last year was a product of Burrow and Chase unleashing a fury on the league that it didn't know how to handle. Now the book is out on these guys and the Bengals can't adjust.

Heck, if they could adjust on the fly we win the SB.

The funny thing is (or maybe sad thing)...if the Bengals had 20 rushes for 43 yards...they probably run it 2-3 times out of 4 near the endzone. With the running game going, they run it 0. That's what I mean about not intuitive.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 09:19 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He's the least intuitive OC I can recall every seeing.

The success last year was a product of Burrow and Chase unleashing a fury on the league that it didn't know how to handle. Now the book is out on these guys and the Bengals can't adjust.

The funny thing is (or maybe sad thing)...if the Bengals had 20 rushes for 43 yards...they probably run it 2-3 times out of 4 near the endzone. With the running game going, they run it 0. That's what I mean about not intuitive.

Yep

He does not have his finger on the pulse of this team. He is not an in game coach that feels what the opposing D is doing. He rarely sets up the opposing D and catches them zigging when they should be zagging. 

He just knows how to line up and flip pages thru the playbook. " Oh we haven't ran this in awhile". 

A good pool player is always playing for the next shot. A great pool player is playing two shots ahead. Zac is just hoping to make the current shot work.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 09:19 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He's the least intuitive OC I can recall every seeing.

His feel for the game definitely sucks. Last year against SF comes to mind when he took the ball out of Burrow’s (hot) hand in OT.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 09:30 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: His feel for the game definitely sucks. Last year against SF comes to mind when he took the ball out of Burrow’s (hot) hand in OT.

By year 4 here and with his failures at UC and with the Dolphins...I doubt it improves.

TO put things in perspective...a soft zone is what this team struggles with. (And they have basically an elite QB, 3 #1 caliber WR's, and a high paid RB, and a new TE that seems very capable.)

We're to the point of the show where it's let Callahan call plays...or fire Callahan if he's the problem.

Part of me wonders if Burrow audibles into bad plays sometimes too. I don't know.
Reply/Quote
Here's the thing: You give me a name from this forum and I can tell you what their opinion of Zac's coaching is going to be if we lose regardless of the gameplan.

Last night the Philly Special was stupid, but anyone bitching in this thread who says they would not have bitched if we'd ran 3 straight plays and got stuffed settled for the FG and still lost would not be bitching about play calling today is just lying...

We tried to start the game with a few wrinkles, they didn't work and we went away from them. Nobody knows how losing Higgins after he suited up hurt us. Yet we still took the AFC North favorite down to the wire at their house.

I miss the Zac that played "Not to lose" but many hated that and it seems we've gone away from it.

The dude got us our 1st playoff win since Boomer Esiason, made it to a Super Bowl and was 1 second away from winning it; anyone who says he hasn't doesn't deserve this job is just mad and irrational.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
We’ve noticed it for his entire stay in CIN.

He’s a terrible offensive coach. What’s worse is he’s devolving. It’s disgusting to watch this team when it has the ball. If nothing else, it should be explosive. Fun. It’s ***** drudgery.

He’s not going to fix it, either. He can’t.

There will be a few guys on this team wanting out soon.

Cue the “BUT SUPERBOWL!!!!” rejoinders.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 09:38 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: By year 4 here and with his failures at UC and with the Dolphins...I doubt it improves.

TO put things in perspective...a soft zone is what this team struggles with. (And they have basically an elite QB, 3 #1 caliber WR's, and a high paid RB, and a new TE that seems very capable.)

We're to the point of the show where it's let Callahan call plays...or fire Callahan if he's the problem.

Part of me wonders if Burrow audibles into bad plays sometimes too. I don't know.

Certainly possible. But the play design itself leaves a lot to be desired. Everything seems so hard. Every catch is contested or has to be a broken tackle to get anything out of it. It would be nice to see some of our guys running wide open once in a while.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 09:53 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Certainly possible. But the play design itself leaves a lot to be desired. Everything seems so hard. Every catch is contested or has to be a broken tackle to get anything out of it. It would be nice to see some of our guys running wide open once in a while.

It’s because he calls an out on every play, a flat and streaks. He rarely calls slants, crosses, etc.

Zac has got the most vanilla route combos ever
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Worst Coach in the league offensively by a large margin.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 09:42 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Here's the thing: You give me a name from this forum and I can tell you what their opinion of Zac's coaching is going to be if we lose regardless of the gameplan.

Last night the Philly Special was stupid, but anyone bitching in this thread who says they would not have bitched if we'd ran 3 straight plays and got stuffed settled for the FG and still lost would not be bitching about play calling today is just lying...

We tried to start the game with a few wrinkles, they didn't work and we went away from them. Nobody knows how losing Higgins after he suited up hurt us. Yet we still took the AFC North favorite down to the wire at their house.

I miss the Zac that played "Not to lose" but many hated that and it seems we've gone away from it.

The dude got us our 1st playoff win since Boomer Esiason, made it to a Super Bowl and was 1 second away from winning it; anyone who says he hasn't doesn't deserve this job is just mad and irrational.

That is true to a point. When a play works, the coach is a genius. When it fails, they suck.

But, at the macro level...should a team with Burrow at QB...Chase, Boyd, and Higgins at WR...Mixon at RB...be struggling to score 20 points game after game?

At the micro level, there's games where it was obvious the defense was dominating our running game, and we'd run it 2-3 times from the 5 and get stuffed. Last night, we were running well for the game at a clip of over 5 ypg (closer to 6)...and we didn't run 1 single time. <--- That kind of stuff deserves to be second guessed.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 09:53 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Certainly possible. But the play design itself leaves a lot to be desired. Everything seems so hard. Every catch is contested or has to be a broken tackle to get anything out of it. It would be nice to see some of our guys running wide open once in a while.

The offense looks disjointed. They do run a lot from under center. And pass from shotgun. Although a few times, they seemed to mix it up last night.

They need 1 unified offense. Not this frankensteined system.

The pregame show talked about how the Bengals run a simplistic offense too.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 09:57 AM)Housh Wrote: It’s because he calls an out on every play, a flat and streaks. He rarely calls slants, crosses, etc.

Zac has got the most vanilla route combos ever

I feel like Chase could gain huge yards on slants. Yet...yeah...not many called.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 10:02 AM)740Bengal Wrote: Worst Coach in the league offensively by a large margin.

So last year was make or break. A bad year, he likely gets fired along with the whole staff.

We make the SB, which was great and a fun ride. But, in the playoffs it was largely the defense. And the offense was throw it to Chase and let him be amazing and score. That splash play aspect is totally gone.

Our offense now is the slam into a brick wall, plodding, 15 play drive stuff that they struggle with. And the coaches don't know how to fix that.

So either he evolves and we become really hard to stop. Or he stays the same and we're mediocre.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 09:19 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He's the least intuitive OC I can recall every seeing.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Taylor just seems to make odd decisions sometimes, like he out thinks himself. On the goal line disaster last night, we were running well. I get the logic of "We ran well to get down here, they will expect a run, let's catch them off guard with a pass!" but after that first incomplete, you should give your RB a chance to punch it in, or go QB sneak. Bad calls happen but going 0-2 in the division is not good. That Steeler loss is going to be a big deal. We need Baltimore to lose at least once to the Browns or Steelers, and IDK if that will happen.

We just have to try and stay positive, and hope we start to put it together on offense or else we are looking at an 8-9 record.
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 10:02 AM)740Bengal Wrote: Worst Coach in the league offensively by a large margin.

Hakett just said hold my beer.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 10:33 AM)motoarch Wrote: Hakett just said hold my beer.

Staley is pretty bad, too. At least his decision making.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 10:33 AM)motoarch Wrote: Hakett just said hold my beer.

In Year 1. Most of these guys wash out after 1 or 2 years when they can't cut it offensively.

Here...Taylor got extended through 2026.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 10:22 AM)Garrus Wrote: Taylor just seems to make odd decisions sometimes, like he out thinks himself. On the goal line disaster last night, we were running well. I get the logic of "We ran well to get down here, they will expect a run, let's catch them off guard with a pass!" but after that first incomplete, you should give your RB a chance to punch it in, or go QB sneak. Bad calls happen but going 0-2 in the division is not good. That Steeler loss is going to be a big deal. We need Baltimore to lose at least once to the Browns or Steelers, and IDK if that will happen.

We just have to try and stay positive, and hope we start to put it together on offense or else we are looking at an 8-9 record.

Not only that but what nobody is talking about is that it was already a 15 play drive for over 8 minutes and that included 2 incomplete passes inside the 2. Ravens D was flat-out gassed. Mixon running downhill and your OL was having a day. Game plans are great but it's like what Tyson said going into a fight in that everybody has one until you get clocked on your chin then it's about survival.

Bengals actually took what the Ravens gave them especially without Higgins in the game and moved the ball rather nicely. They were in a PERFECT situation to steal that game last night until ZT crapped his pants..
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 10:42 AM)higgy100 Wrote: Not only that but what nobody is talking about is that it was already a 15 play drive for over 8 minutes and that included 2 incomplete passes inside the 2. Ravens D was flat-out gassed. Mixon running downhill and your OL was having a day. Game plans are great but it's like what Tyson said going into a fight in that everybody has one until you get clocked on your chin then it's about survival.

Bengals actually took what the Ravens gave them especially without Higgins in the game and moved the ball rather nicely. They were in a PERFECT situation to steal that game last night until ZT crapped his pants..

The Philly Special had to be the worst timed trick play I can recall ever seeing.
Reply/Quote