Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zac Taylor on the Dan Patrick Show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSsUEQl3I6E Joe
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He sure did seem to solidify Burrow is the pick.
Reply/Quote
Good interview, starting to think Taylor could be turning this thing around.

Sure couldn't of had a better Free Agency period and sure couldn't have a better opportunity to do so with having
the first pick in every round with this Draft that is so deep at most of our positions of need. Taylor is a likeable guy.

Bottom line, Burrow is the pick. He is the winner he was talking about here. We all know it.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 04:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good interview, starting to think Taylor could be turning this thing around.

Sure couldn't of had a better Free Agency period and sure couldn't have a better opportunity to do so with having
the first pick in every round with this Draft that is so deep at most of our positions of need. Taylor is a likeable guy.

Bottom line, Burrow is the pick. He is the winner he was talking about here. We all know it.

I am confident in Taylor as a person/player handler for the Bengals. He seems like a good dude who is able to get players to play for him.

That said, he's a TERRIBLE play caller/OC and he hired all his buddies to be on his staff and they have sucked too. Also not inspired by his first draft.

I can like him in interviews and that all day long, but if his offense sucks (and he refuses to give up playcalling) and he keeps drafting players like Sample and Finley, it doesn't matter. They won't be successful.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 04:24 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I am confident in Taylor as a person/player handler for the Bengals. He seems like a good dude who is able to get players to play for him.

That said, he's a TERRIBLE play caller/OC and he hired all his buddies to be on his staff and they have sucked too. Also not inspired by his first draft.

I can like him in interviews and that all day long, but if his offense sucks (and he refuses to give up playcalling) and he keeps drafting players like Sample and Finley, it doesn't matter. They won't be successful.

Agreed Zac was a terrible play caller last season. Was hoping he would give that job up and just coach the team.

Thought Turner and even Lou got much better as the season went on. Taylor is still young and could improve in all the areas.

Not giving up yet, plus Taylor had a very short Offseason last year and had to work with Marv's team for the most part.

I know these are excuses but I have to have some hope and this Free Agency and getting Burrow gives me some.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 04:24 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I am confident in Taylor as a person/player handler for the Bengals. He seems like a good dude who is able to get players to play for him.

ZT seems organized, thorough, knowledgeable, and gets the respect of his players. He's a good leader. 

I do question the rest of his staff and their abilities and last years draft also sticks with me. I know we are only a year out from it, but I dont have high hopes for really any of the players drafted. That being said, we really dont know what kind on input/power he had over any of this picks. We are in the dark. 

I really think they layup first round pick and being able to have the first pick of each day is going to help him a lot this year. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
It's amazing the difference between Taylor and Lewis when it comes to interviews. He just has this calm confidence and very personable approach to things. Marvin always seemed to have the most PC and scripted answers, "we gotta tackle better, we gotta coach better, etc" where Zach actually seems to be willing to share some parts of what they are actually seeing and thinking. I hope they have a great season and last year's win/loss record is a thing of the past, because you can't help but pull for a guy like Taylor to succeed.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I gave Zach a pass last year simply due to the state of the offense. Jonah gets injured, Boling retires, Glenn can't get on the field......

There should be a huge improvement in play calling and offensive creatitvity even with a rookie QB. If it doesn't, then my mind is made up.
Reply/Quote

Let's examine the tools Zac had to work with in 2019.

OL was mediocre at best. Glenn and Williams injuries did not help. No AJ Green for 16 games ( a lot of our offense) and then Ross and WR's missed times as well.

I have no idea if he was bad or severely limited due to the roster after injuries.

He had a year so let's see if better personnel and 1 year as head coach and learning helps in 2020.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 04:36 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: ZT seems organized, thorough, knowledgeable, and gets the respect of his players. He's a good leader. 

I do question the rest of his staff and their abilities and last years draft also sticks with me. I know we are only a year out from it, but I dont have high hopes for really any of the players drafted. That being said, we really dont know what kind on input/power he had over any of this picks. We are in the dark. 

I really think they layup first round pick and being able to have the first pick of each day is going to help him a lot this year. 

You think Jonah will bust?

Pratt improved immensely from the beginning of the year too. MJ as well.

Wren was middling, but had less than 15% of the snaps or whatever.

Too early to call on everyone, save for Finley.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 04:36 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: ZT seems organized, thorough, knowledgeable, and gets the respect of his players. He's a good leader. 

I think this was a case of variables.
ZT may have wanted to change up the players last year, but the FO saw most of the players start the year off 4-1 in 2018, so he didn't want to change much.
Now that the season resulted in 2-14, ZT may have convinced the FO that the players needed to be changed out.
This is now ZT's chance to prove that the issue was the players, not the scheme/coaching.
Depending on the success this year, we may see coaching/playcalling changes in 2021 (or sooner).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
You could see the light in Dan Patrick's eyes go out when Taylor delivered a Mortal Kombat finishing move on his narrative.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
"When there's a guy there who can change your franchise for the next 10-15 years, you take him. When other teams offer you a lot for the pick, that confirms your opinion"

We're taking Burrow..... as if there was ever any doubt.
Reply/Quote

Outside of the Sample pick, I thought the rest of the draft was decent.  As far as his play calling abilities, i agree, not sold on him.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 05:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think this was a case of variables.
ZT may have wanted to change up the players last year, but the FO saw most of the players start the year off 4-1 in 2018, so he didn't want to change much.
Now that the season resulted in 2-14, ZT may have convinced the FO that the players needed to be changed out.
This is now ZT's chance to prove that the issue was the players, not the scheme/coaching.
Depending on the success this year, we may see coaching/playcalling changes in 2021 (or sooner).

Talk about variables.  The opposing teams got a vote on Taylor's play calling.  They saw a bad defense and a bad offensive line.  Taylor lost most games before they started since the trenches would be controlled by the other team.  His play calling, for which I saw little, might have failed to outsiders simply because the lines were getting beat time and time again.  Anyway now it's his team now, Marvin's influence is disappearing by the day.  New lines, new QB, new secondary all will start whenever the season does and then I think we'll see what he knows as a coach.

I see no reason to doubt him.  He has done what I once considered the impossible, he did a heist on Mike Brown's bulging wallet.  The guy is persuasive.
Reply/Quote
Dan: "Is there a scenario where you change who you're taking" (1st)

ZT; "It doesn't look that way"

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 04:46 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Let's examine the tools Zac had to work with in 2019.

OL was mediocre at best. Glenn and Williams injuries did not help. No AJ Green for 16 games ( a lot of our offense) and then Ross and WR's missed times as well.

I have no idea if he was bad or severely limited due to the roster after injuries.

He had a year so let's see if better personnel and 1 year as head coach and learning helps in 2020.

I was skeptical about Zac Taylor having his hands on the offense from the get-go because he was a QB Coach going to HC/Playcaller (and his disastrous year at UC as OC).

Skepticism turned into certainty that he had no business being anywhere near playcalling in Week 5. The Cardinals came in with the 32nd ranked defense against TEs and the Bengals didn't even TARGET a TE under 5 minutes into the 2nd quarter. 

Think about that. He had a week to prepare against the worst TE defense in the league, had added 3 TEs to the roster in the offseason (Eifert, Uzomah, Sample) and didn't call an attempted pass to a TE until more than half the game passed. That's an inexcusable lack of common sense where the standard response of "do you think you could do better?" is actually valid to answer with "yes". 

He had his full roster of TEs at the time, he just didn't use them.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

I was about to say the same thing. It's amazing that he's been able to open up the Brown family coffers, but let's be real. His playcalling was atrocious last year. He still needs to prove he can be a good play caller or at the very least find someone who can call plays. I'm optimistic about him improving because he's had more experience, but let's not get too out of hand.

I hope that the Bengals grow to he a powerhouse, but let's see what they can do first. I'm hoping the Burrow/Taylor era will have us lifting up some trophies or at the very least see some progress where Lewis couldn't.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 07:25 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I was skeptical about Zac Taylor having his hands on the offense from the get-go because he was a QB Coach going to HC/Playcaller (and his disastrous year at UC as OC).

Skepticism turned into certainty that he had no business being anywhere near playcalling in Week 5. The Cardinals came in with the 32nd ranked defense against TEs and the Bengals didn't even TARGET a TE under 5 minutes into the 2nd quarter. 

Think about that. He had a week to prepare against the worst TE defense in the league, had added 3 TEs to the roster in the offseason (Eifert, Uzomah, Sample) and didn't call an attempted pass to a TE until more than half the game passed. That's an inexcusable lack of common sense where the standard response of "do you think you could do better?" is actually valid to answer with "yes". 

He had his full roster of TEs at the time, he just didn't use them.

Definitely inexcusable for sure against the Cards, plus the 4th and 1 with Dalton in the shotgun and calling a run play was
one of the biggest head scratchers I have ever saw. One thing that I remember hearing was Zac would just give Dalton a 
handful of plays and let him pick which one he wanted to run. If this is the case, some of this is on Dalton.

(04-13-2020, 07:32 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I was about to say the same thing. It's amazing that he's been able to open up the Brown family coffers, but let's be real. His playcalling was atrocious last year. He still needs to prove he can be a good play caller or at the very least find someone who can call plays. I'm optimistic about him improving because he's had more experience, but let's not get too out of hand.

I hope that the Bengals grow to he a powerhouse, but let's see what they can do first. I'm hoping the Burrow/Taylor era will have us lifting up some trophies or at the very least see some progress where Lewis couldn't.

How did I get too out of hand? I simply said I think Zac might turn this thing around?
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 06:42 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Dan: "Is there a scenario where you change who you're taking" (1st)

ZT; "It doesn't look that way"

ThumbsUp

Joe
Reply/Quote