Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Zac Taylor play calling is trash!
Burrow is playing too bad to truly judge the playcalling. But we once again gave up on the run a bit early. The pass designs when i was paying attention didn’t seem bad like they did against Cle. Against Cle it was almost like we gave up from kickoff. Everything was so vanilla.

But at least today there seemed to be good route combinations but Burrow was just off. After halftime when Burrow got hot i didn’t really notice anything crazy different from what we were calling before. Burrow just played better and decided not to check down as much.

Also our o line needs a damn apology. Gave up 1 sack today and 2 last game. That’s 1.5 sacks a game so far which we would’ve taken any day of the week last year. Burrow is simply not moving in the pocket. I really studied this today because i was surprised at all the pressures other teams had. Burrow is just standing still in the pocket most times. Duh he’s gonna get pressured.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 08:34 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Sorry this was a solid game from oline, few penalties..and I sack I believe and little pressure blame Burrow not the line..

That's what I saw too. Line played very well.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 08:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's what I saw too. Line played very well.

Maybe I should not say blame Burrow but No way blame line
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 08:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. The gameplanning sucks. The scripted plays. Even last year, this team struggled to score at times...mainly early. Routinely sucking for half the game, then coming alive in the 3rd quarter.

Look, we can make the playoffs a lot of years with Taylor...but winning the SB is what it's about.

And, when the extensions kick in, we're going to have to win with less veteran talent.

Zac said the fans are impatient and should be more patient. The fans and Zac knew the date that the season would start, the fans prepare to cheer. Zac did not get his team ready to play the day the season started. That is not impatient fans that's a head coach that dropped the ball and was not prepared for the start of the season. Same as the last few years.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 07:53 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: The execution was a big reason we lost but the head coach prepares the team to execute. He does not let the team practice hard or play in the preseason their execution lands in the head coach's lap. We have had our 6 quarters of warm up we should be playing better next week good enough to win. As long as Burrow is not injured from today's game. The limp in 4th quarter...

We start the games out way too conservative that is why we always have to come back to win games late. We should not be letting the clock tick down to 3 seconds consistently late in the game when we are behind. We need to show some urgency at the very least.

Burrow could do the same thing Manning did back in the day and go no huddle tire the defense out run the score up then switch back to Zacs conservative play calling to run the clock out with a lead.

Zac being ass-backwards like he is he calls plays conservative until the game is almost out of reach then he try's to get in top gear. This is with great WR's and a great QB it is truly a waste of talent. I kind of like the idea of Burrow calling his own plays could not be any worse than Zac.
I have 0 idea why we pay big money to players if the HC is responsible for execution on the field. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 08:53 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Zac said the fans are impatient and should be more patient. The fans and Zac knew the date that the season would start, the fans prepare to cheer Zac did not get his team ready to play the season started. That is not impatient fans that's a head coach that dropped the ball and was not prepared for the start of the season. Same as the last few years.

Impatient? What does that even mean?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 08:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I have 0 idea why we pay big money to players if the HC is responsible for execution on the field. 

The head coach tells the players when to practice how to practice and if they will or will not play in the preseason. If he is not controlling if the players are prepared to do their job, then who is in charge of that???
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 08:49 PM)Housh Wrote: Burrow is playing too bad to truly judge the playcalling. But we once again gave up on the run a bit early. The pass designs when i was paying attention didn’t seem bad like they did against Cle. Against Cle it was almost like we gave up from kickoff. Everything was so vanilla.

But at least today there seemed to be good route combinations but Burrow was just off. After halftime when Burrow got hot i didn’t really notice anything crazy different from what we were calling before. Burrow just played better and decided not to check down as much.

Also our o line needs a damn apology. Gave up 1 sack today and 2 last game. That’s 1.5 sacks a game so far which we would’ve taken any day of the week last year. Burrow is simply not moving in the pocket. I really studied this today because i was surprised at all the pressures other teams had. Burrow is just standing still in the pocket most times. Duh he’s gonna get pressured.

This. Contrary to some thoughts the OL is doing its job. Burrow has been terrible and that includes his pocket presence and maneuverability. ANY QB who just drops back and stands there is almost certain to be pressured. 
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 09:01 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: The head coach tells the players when to practice how to practice and if they will or will not play in the preseason. If he is not controlling if the players are prepared to do their job, then who is in charge of that???

You're arguing against something that wasn't said.

Our team practiced as much as any team this PS. 

Reply/Quote
I agree with what Housh said about Burrow not playing well so it’s hard to fully put it on Zac. With that said I have never been a fan of him as an OC and I hate to be that guy. If you go around team message boards you read “our play calls sucked” quite often lol I want to give one example of things he does that baffles me.

Week 1 vs Cleveland. Shitty weather and both QBs not looking very good throwing the ball in the 1st half. Bengals 4th possession in the second quarter. They start to establish the run game…
Mixon left guard for 12yds
Mixon right guard for 22yds
Williams left guard for 2yds
Williams right guard for 5yds

3rd&3…..they pass for an incompletion and have to punt.

Some would argue as bad as they were passing at that point in the game they stood a better chance at picking up the first down on the ground as opposed to passing. Personally I am fine with them passing there but as they came to the line I was losing my mind when I saw they were lining up in an empty backfield. Many of you really know your football so you tell me…….Wouldn’t you want a RB in the backfield in that scenario after you have finally moved the ball with some success on the ground to keep them guessing. Keep the pass rush honest. Make the linebackers read the run first before playing a slant,seem or curl route? I feel like in that instance he did half their job for them. Empty backfield with no motion and we are passing.

Too many times he seems to not get the flow of the game. Game flow is very important as a play caller. I felt like he had a particular play that was on his list for 3rd and short (pass) and he gives no consideration to the formation. I may be nit picking but I see these type of small nuances in his play calling that drive me crazy. I really think he helps the opposing defenses with these types of decisions.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 09:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You're arguing against something that wasn't said.

Our team practiced as much as any team this PS. 

It is the way they practice. If you start slow every year, then it is an issue.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 08:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's what I saw too. Line played very well.

The pocket was surprisingly clean for much of the game.  He had forever on several pass plays and wound up either checking down or getting nothing.  3
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 10:00 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: It is the way they practice. If you start slow every year, then it is an issue.

But you finish strong.

Is it a sprint or a marathon?

This reminds me of the Cowboys fans saying "How 'bout those week 1 Cowboys". 

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 08:19 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: I’m a recovering Saints fan. We said the same stuff before Brees came. Then we made the playoffs and the culture permanently changed. You do realize the Bengals just forked over the largest contract in NFL history, right? Do you think they did that because they wanted to have losing seasons every year til 2026? Common sense, man, c’mon.

They did it because they had no choice. None. There would be no coming back from it.

You’ll notice, as you begin to learn about this team, is that it has a very casual relationship with logic and/of penny pinchery. They are also loyal to head coaches to a fault. Look how long they kept Marvin after his expiration date.

To be fair, they have been spending competitively over the past 3 years. Also remember that Burrow likes him and he was a big reason why Burrow wanted to come here. And probably wanted assurances Zac wasn’t going anywhere.

Zac is here for a long time. Our best hope is that he relinquishes play calling duties.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 08:49 PM)Housh Wrote: Burrow is playing too bad to truly judge the playcalling.

As a play caller, Zac should know how effective Burrow would be with his injury and adjust accordingly. So I would judge his play calling. He's been here for years and Im STILL waiting for this genius game scheming and play calling we all were told we would see.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 08:53 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Zac said the fans are impatient and should be more patient. The fans and Zac knew the date that the season would start, the fans prepare to cheer. Zac did not get his team ready to play the day the season started. That is not impatient fans that's a head coach that dropped the ball and was not prepared for the start of the season. Same as the last few years.

I heard Zac's "patience" remark. This is where the "new generation" in this clubhouse seems unable to identify with the long-suffering of this fanbase - decades with nothing to show for it. And no getting to a playoff game is not anything to show - only hoisting a Lombardi is. Add in the history of this team of creating chimeras of success where we are "up and coming", "rising star" and such but the star never actually rises and they never arrive and Zac's saying the fans should be patient just leads to the logical retort "for how long? When does that Lombardi get hoisted? How do we know it's for real this time?" 
Reply/Quote
Let's just run 4-5 wide and no huddle, at this point.
Let'er rip tater-chip !

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2023, 06:48 PM)KyBengalfan94 Wrote: Period!  This man sucks at play calling and I am sick and tired of seeing passes on 3rd and short.  I am sick and tired of seeing these 2 or 3 yard short out routes to running backs and wide recrivers that are quickly stopped by fast corners and linebackers.  The Bengals still can't run a proper screen play, lord knows why.  I am sick and tired of seeing an offense in the shotgun 99% of the time and calling all it's running plays from the stupid shotgun.  Pretending to be a read option on every run, and there is no read option, it's just a hand off, from the shotgun.  Delayed, slower, more time for the defense to react.  They are not tricking anyone.

Justin Tucker spotted us a miracle miss today and we still lose by 3.  I am tired of this already this season.

Zac Taylor is a BAD play caller and he needs to step down.  NOW

Has been every game hes been here.....  
Reply/Quote
I'm someone who would be more than fine if ZT just stuck to being HC.

That said, it is CLEAR that the gameplan the last 2 games has been to protect Burrow's calf. We've been in shotgun like 99% of the time, we're not doing QB sneaks, we're not doing rollouts; basically, when we're not running the ball (which you could argue we could/should be doing more of), Burrow is just standing there passing and even then, they're not long developing plays so that Burrow can just make a quick read and pass so there's less of a chance for him to get pressured and have to scramble around.

We're effectively shortened our playbook. Yes, it sucks, but the alternatives are hope Burrow doesn't get injured but play normally or don't even have him play. And if he's not playing, we're probably still 0-2.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote