Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Zac Taylor...when it's all said and done
(09-29-2020, 07:35 PM)GodFather Wrote: Said nobody.....

If you have a QB, that's half the battle...said everybody.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 11:25 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The Bengals Organization:

[Image: Crap-Car-Nice-Rims.jpg]

"Sure it's a PoS as a whole, but look at how nice those rims are!"

C’mon, flashy rims would obviously be a WR. The QB should at least be a good engine.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 09:51 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm quickly losing hope ZT is the answer.

We've even given him multiple avenues to succeed. Going into 2019 we wanted him to resurrect Daltons career and use Mixon and Ross to their potential.  
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2020, 11:25 AM)Nately120 Wrote: We've even given him multiple avenues to succeed. Going into 2019 we wanted him to resurrect Daltons career and use Mixon and Ross to their potential.  

He got a better FA group in one offseason than Marvin did in all of his 16 years combined.

If only they would have spent 150 mil on some of those 2011-2015 teams...

Reply/Quote
I certainly hope the coaching staff turns it around. They are still fairly young and inexperienced. It's best to hope they turn it around then it is to think they will be fired after a bad season.

This is year 2 of 17 and I'd like to have a good next 15 years as a Bengal fan. It may be my last 15 years.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2020, 12:25 PM)jj22 Wrote: I certainly hope the coaching staff turns it around. They are still fairly young and inexperienced. It's best to hope they turn it around then it is to think they will be fired after a bad season.

This is year 2 of 17 and I'd like to have a good next 15 years as a Bengal fan. It may be my last 15 years.

If MB and crew don't parlay Burrow's success this year into a new and better coaching staff then they've looked the proverbial gift horse right in the mouth. 

Then again there is time for ZT and company to get and time for Burrow to implode but I'm not betting on either. 
Reply/Quote
The Front office and the way thing are done here is why both New York teams would be picked by a coach first... remember when McDaniels said thanks but no thanks to an interview?expect more of that if we go coach hunting again...
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 11:31 PM)McC Wrote: If you have a QB, that's half the battle...said everybody.

...and now we know that’s a big fat stinking myth. Having a good quarterback is obviously far better than not having one but drafting a GOAT candidate like Joe Burrow and surrounding him with drones and incompetent coaches is not a recipe for success.
Reply/Quote
The 2 wins are looking even worse when you consider 1 of them was against the other terribad team in the league, the Jets.
Reply/Quote
(10-02-2020, 09:39 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: ...and now we know that’s a big fat stinking myth.  Having a good quarterback is obviously far better than not having one but drafting a GOAT candidate like Joe Burrow and surrounding him with drones and incompetent coaches is not a recipe for success.

We're a couple linemen away from having a top notch offense to go with that QB.  That's a helluva lot better than being a couple linemen away from having everything but a QB.  Step away from the ledge.  Good God, man, we are not at the end of the world like you keep insisting.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-30-2020, 12:24 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He got a better FA group in one offseason than Marvin did in all of his 16 years combined.

If only they would have spent 150 mil on some of those 2011-2015 teams...

Yeah, it kind of eats at me to think about it.  Those were terrific rosters.  They had the resources to stack them even more.
Reply/Quote
If they get to the bye without a win, I think the nuclear option is in play. Taylor is developing a body of work, and it's a putrid one. He can still turn it around, but the fruits of his failure, ie a number 1 overall quarterback that looks like a legit superstar, make his termination a necessity.

You can't saddle Burrow with a coach that can't muster more than 2 wins in a season and a half. It is imperative to fix things to at the very least keep Burrow from becoming Andrew Luck 2.0. He can't labor behind an incompetent line for 4 years, and he can't play for an outclassed staff, either.

It's not Taylor's team anymore, whether he knows it or not. Burrow is going to be here for 4 years, and Taylor may or may not. Better to avoid doing things you know you'll have to do eventually later when you can do them right now.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 08:59 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The Jets are complete dumpster fire of an organization. With all due respect you’re wrong.

If I’m a head coach candidate (especially a first time HC) I’m hitching my wagon to Joe Burrow over those other guys and not thinking twice about it. You can’t win in this league without a QB, and we at least have that.

An important factor here is the draft position of the potential teams.  While I like Burrow better than Lawrence, a candidate might very well choose the #1 overall team (assuming it is not the Bengals) instead of us because they have a fresh lump of clay to work with.  There could very well be hesitation to take work with Burrow as he has already been coached some, and there could already be things that you have to work to change.  Now, if he were already in the elite category, a candidate surely wouldn't care.
(09-29-2020, 11:00 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Based on Mike Brown's comments about "not making other teams better" with trades and Troy Blackburn's comments on "you just can't criticize" regarding the Hart signing, it would appear that he does not. Did the scouting department change at all under Taylor? Director of player personnel? Is he just letting it ride? Or is there an organizational structure in which he plays some sort of a subordinate role to someone? 

As all of the positional coaches, coordinators, and the HC undertake a big part of the evaluation and development of the draft board; the answer is absolutely YES.
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2020, 10:34 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: An important factor here is the draft position of the potential teams.  While I like Burrow better than Lawrence, a candidate might very well choose the #1 overall team (assuming it is not the Bengals) instead of us because they have a fresh lump of clay to work with.  There could very well be hesitation to take work with Burrow as he has already been coached some, and there could already be things that you have to work to change.  Now, if he were already in the elite category, a candidate surely wouldn't care.

It didn’t take Sean McVay long to coach any bad Jeff Fisher habits out of Jared Goff...

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2020, 10:41 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It didn’t take Sean McVay long to coach any bad Jeff Fisher habits out of Jared Goff...

I personally feel that was more to do with the revamped Oline over coaching, but that is just my opinion.

As to the point of McVay's success with Goff, there are just as many coaches who didn't have success that way.  Take Jameis Winston, for example.  Dirk Koetter had no success with him after a promising year under Lovie Smith.  Bruce Arians came in and also couldn't fix the issues.  There is no way to know what you are going to have in a player without getting in and working with the guy, but there is definitely something to be said for working with the player before anyone else has done so.  Again, I think Burrow is the better player regardless, but I would have to consider draft position into it.  Now, if Jonah can look like he will be a decent player by years end, and we have the #2 pick, I would think a coach would prefer us over the #1 slot, as he could grab the top tackle and have a franchise QB and 2 young bookends to protect him.  But if we are sitting in the back end of the top 10, I might be inclined to go the the team is drafting first.  Assuming either team would want me in the first place Smirk
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2020, 11:06 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: I personally feel that was more to do with the revamped Oline over coaching, but that is just my opinion.

As to the point of McVay's success with Goff, there are just as many coaches who didn't have success that way.  Take Jameis Winston, for example.  Dirk Koetter had no success with him after a promising year under Lovie Smith.  Bruce Arians came in and also couldn't fix the issues.  There is no way to know what you are going to have in a player without getting in and working with the guy, but there is definitely something to be said for working with the player before anyone else has done so.  Again, I think Burrow is the better player regardless, but I would have to consider draft position into it.  Now, if Jonah can look like he will be a decent player by years end, and we have the #2 pick, I would think a coach would prefer us over the #1 slot, as he could grab the top tackle and have a franchise QB and 2 young bookends to protect him.  But if we are sitting in the back end of the top 10, I might be inclined to go the the team is drafting first.  Assuming either team would want me in the first place Smirk

It’s probably moot anyway, as I highly doubt Taylor is going anywhere anytime soon. This is the Cincinnati Bengals after all.

Reply/Quote
(10-03-2020, 11:19 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s probably moot anyway, as I highly doubt Taylor is going anywhere anytime soon. This is the Cincinnati Bengals after all.

Do you mean they will state that social distancing guidelines prevent them from speaking to other coaches, thus there is no way to make a change? 
For some reason I feel like I could see that statement on team letterhead. Sad
Reply/Quote
With Burrow + the fact that the Bengals spent in the off season, shows they may be willing to spend. This does become a reasonable good landing spot. However, Taylor isn't going anywhere after this year, you can book it. They will make a few changes with the staff....call it a day
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2020, 05:11 PM)WhoDey Wrote: With Burrow + the fact that the Bengal's spent in the off season, shows they may be willing to spend. This does become a reasonable good landing spot. However,  Taylor isn't going anywhere after this year, you can book it. They will make a few changes with the staff....call it a day

THAT is a great point.  A candidate can look back to Marvin's first season and see that they were willing to use FA to put together a team that fits the coaches system, then we did it again for Taylor.  So a candidate will have the ability to see that the organization will do give you the opportunity to switch out personnel to fit your scheme without having to do it over 5 years of drafts alone.
Reply/Quote
Even if Zac is given another year, his legacy is either he won a super bowl here, or he put up the season that got us our HOF QB and someone else won a sb due to that miracle season of 2019. Many other moves contributed to this as well, including all the blown draft picks and not re-signing big whit
Reply/Quote