Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Zac has to give up playcalling
This is gonna sound like riding the emotion of a loss and maybe it is. But made crucial mistakes at crucial times that may have cost us the game.

Two minute drive at the end of the half was flawed. He mismanaged the timeouts and I think we could've had more time to try and get a touchdown rather than 3.

Towards the end of the game we have a 7 yd 1st down run and we throw two deeper low percentage throws and punt.

Call a timeout after Hurst picks up 2 yards on the last drive. I get it we want to be aggressive. But with time expiring from our own 20 yd line your playing for overtime or forcing kc's hand to use they're timeouts.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be involved but we need to bring an OC from the outside. This defense is most likely gonna be worse next year with potential players leaving and we will be limited with the cap. The offense is gonna need to start carrying this team.

I want to blame officials and perhaps they had a factor but at the end of the day we had a chance with just a little more offense. I wasn't gonna feel bad with a hard fought lose and for the most part I don't. But I didn't want to look back at a loss that we could point to a few bone headed decisions and I'm not so sure we got that.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 08:11 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: This is gonna sound like riding the emotion of a loss and maybe it is. But made crucial mistakes at crucial times that may have cost us the game.

Two minute drive at the end of the half was flawed. He mismanaged the timeouts and I think we could've had more time to try and get a touchdown rather than 3.

Towards the end of the game we have a 7 yd 1st down run and we throw two deeper low percentage throws and punt.

Call a timeout after Hurst picks up 2 yards on the last drive. I get it we want to be aggressive. But with time expiring from our own 20 yd line your playing for overtime or forcing kc's hand to use they're timeouts.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be involved but we need to bring an OC from the outside. This defense is most likely gonna be worse next year with potential players leaving and we will be limited with the cap. The offense is gonna need to start carrying this team.

I want to blame officials and perhaps they had a factor but at the end of the day we had a chance with just a little more offense. I wasn't gonna feel bad with a hard fought lose and for the most part I don't. But I didn't want to look back at a loss that we could point to a few bone headed decisions and I'm not so sure we got that.

The 2nd and 3, 2 failed bombs will stick out.

I remember with 50ish seconds remaining we called a timeout while we were in bounds around our 40. I thought that was a bad idea, kC still had time outs make them try to use them, we were about to get into FG range. That time management was interesting.

I think almost every NFL team has "boneheaded decisions" that helped result in their loss, unless it's a eagles/49ers drubbing. We almost lost to the Ravens because Harbaugh is a better coach. Stefanski makes some similar confusing decisions to Zac when I've watched the Browns play.
Reply/Quote
Funny .....Phil Simms said at the half, if you want a clinic on how to manage your timeouts at the end of the half, watch what the Bengals did.

Yet here, we get fans bashing him for it. LOL

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I honestly think he handled the late 1st half about as good as you can. Our guys had some chances to get out of bounds and couldn’t and I thought the refs botched Perines spot.

Halfway through the season I would have agreed, but he’s been great since then. We really need to find our explosiveness again though. I can’t remember the last time we had a quick score. I know teams aren’t giving it to us, but we need to try and marry them next year.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 08:20 AM)Wyche Wrote: Funny .....Phil Simms said at the half, if you want a clinic on how to manage your timeouts at the end of the half, watch what the Bengals did.

Yep, the play calling was fine.  Under ordinary circumstances those play calls likely would have been successful.  It was having to trot a makeshift OL out there that continually killed the momentum last night.  That wasn't an emotionally exhausted Bills defense out there, just waiting for some scrubs to put them out of their misery, that was a very motivated defense with revenge on their minds.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 09:51 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yep, the play calling was fine.  Under ordinary circumstances those play calls likely would have been successful.  It was having to trot a makeshift OL out there that continually killed the momentum last night.  That wasn't an emotionally exhausted Bills defense out there, just waiting for some scrubs to put them out of their misery, that was a very motivated defense with revenge on their minds.

We gotta figure out how come we can never run a screen though. I’m not sure we’ve run a successful screen in burrows career.
Reply/Quote
2nd and 3, we throw it deep.

I will never understand it.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
I been asking for Zac's firing since forever. The players' talent is carrying this team. Put Zac against a good coach and it's game over for us. The D has been carrying this team to victory more often than none due to the offense inability to score and move the ball. They win and score easy because of the Talent our receivers have, all it takes one sprint and accurate pass by Joe and you got 7pts. The inability to control/manage the game with the offense, has never been there like a well coached, dominant offense.

This offense is no different than Marvin's offense, where they easily scored, but coming up short. This offense is even more talented. They came up short in the SB and again last night in similar fashion.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 09:54 AM)Big Boss Wrote: 2nd and 3, we throw it deep.

And again on third! Then people were calling it like a punt….on third down!!

I don’t care how much people may dislike Mixon, but him and Perine damn well should have been able to get 1.5 yards per carry there. Or at least a play action short route. And since people think 10 seconds early in the game counted, each pass not made to a Bengal inbounds stopped the clock, too. Another minute off the clock with two dive plays. How much was left when Mahomes on his last play? Yeah. Let’s act like the Bengals didn’t do it to themselves.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 09:54 AM)Big Boss Wrote: 2nd and 3, we throw it deep.  

Me either.  They did it twice in a row.  WTF!!!!!!!

I was screaming at the TV.  lol.   Just get the first down and drive down the field.  
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 09:59 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: I been asking for Zac's firing since forever. The players' talent is carrying this team. Put Zac against a good coach and it's game over for us. The D has been carrying this team to victory more often than none due to the offense inability to score and move the ball. They win and score easy because of the Talent our receivers have, all it takes one sprint and accurate pass by Joe and you got 7pts. The inability to control/manage the game with the offense, has never been there like a well coached, dominant offense.

This offense is no different than Marvin's offense, where they easily scored, but coming up short. This offense is even more talented. They came up short in the SB and again last night in similar fashion.

You are going to grow very old then. He’s going to have a long run. He’s coached awfully well the last 25 games with one of the best W/L records. He owns Mike Vrabel and Andy Reid. So your comment that it’s game over when he coaches against a great coach is negatory.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I’m a huge Taylor fan. Especially after this season.

I still think he needs a traditional OC. Our offense should be much more explosive.

6 points in the first half against an average D isn’t good enough, even with the injuries to the line.

Furthermore, Burrow bails him out frequently with absolutely remarkable plays.

Love him as a man, a leader and a motivator and a HC. But a good OC with this team would have made it nearly unbeatable.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 09:59 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: I been asking for Zac's firing since forever. The players' talent is carrying this team. Put Zac against a good coach and it's game over for us. The D has been carrying this team to victory more often than none due to the offense inability to score and move the ball. They win and score easy because of the Talent our receivers have, all it takes one sprint and accurate pass by Joe and you got 7pts. The inability to control/manage the game with the offense, has never been there like a well coached, dominant offense.

You are going to grow very old then. He’s going to have a long run. He’s coached awfully well the last 25 games with one of the best W/L records.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 10:02 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: Me either.  They did it twice in a row.  WTF!!!!!!!

I was screaming at the TV.  lol.   Just get the first down and drive down the field.  

Which is strange because when I come back to last year KC game in the regular season, the Bengals is really good at milking the clock and not letting them have many possessions, they didn't do it this time and went deep on 2nd, 3rd and 3. They used Perine efficiently in that game. Maybe Zac doesn't trust this OL run blocking compared to the starters OL? But why does he trust this OL to give Burrow enough time on those deep passes?

And when I watched that game again especially on the final 3rd and 11, the trust between Burrow and the OL is really important. 
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 08:20 AM)Wyche Wrote: Funny .....Phil Simms said at the half, if you want a clinic on how to manage your timeouts at the end of the half, watch what the Bengals did.

Wasn't it Boomer that said it? It's an inconsequential detail, but I'm just wondering if I am getting old with a bad memory lol.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 10:35 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Wasn't it Boomer that said it? It's an inconsequential detail, but I'm just wondering if I am getting old with a bad memory lol.

It may have been Boomer, I AM getting old with a bad memory! LOL

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 09:51 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yep, the play calling was fine.  Under ordinary circumstances those play calls likely would have been successful.  It was having to trot a makeshift OL out there that continually killed the momentum last night.  That wasn't an emotionally exhausted Bills defense out there, just waiting for some scrubs to put them out of their misery, that was a very motivated defense with revenge on their minds.

Right. On that drive, if Joe didn't get almost immediate pressure up the gut, he doesn't rush the throw to Higgins and we get a TD there. They ran the two minute drill almost flawlessly, but they couldn't hold the point of attack at a very critical juncture.

Reply/Quote

That was actually Boomer who said that.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 10:41 AM)higgy100 Wrote: That was actually Boomer who said that.

Yeah, I got corrected on that by Tecmo....my memory ain't that great, lol.

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 08:14 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: The 2nd and 3, 2 failed bombs will stick out.

I remember with 50ish seconds remaining we called a timeout while we were in bounds around our 40. I thought that was a bad idea, kC still had time outs make them try to use them, we were about to get into FG range. That time management was interesting.

I think almost every NFL team has "boneheaded decisions" that helped result in their loss, unless it's a eagles/49ers drubbing. We almost lost to the Ravens because Harbaugh is a better coach. Stefanski makes some similar confusing decisions to Zac when I've watched the Browns play.

True but what's even worse was the management at the end of the 1st half. They complete the pass to Tee at the 5 for a 1st down and they should have come down and spiked the ball to stop the clock instead of rushing the next play. Far more important with 10 seconds on the clock and having 2 snaps to run plays than rushing to get 3 snaps.
Reply/Quote