Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Zac has to give up playcalling
(02-10-2023, 12:16 PM)casear2727 Wrote: The issue is that it is beyond odd with all we know to think Zac determines which receiver to which Joe will throw.  Not to mention we all know the freedom Joe has to change the play from run to pass to something totally different.  

I'm not a massive Zac protector but there are only so many plays that Joe wouldn't/couldn't change, such as a screen pass (of which we ran zero in the SB vs the worst team in defending the screen). Complain about Zac all you want but with the plays of which you are referring, you should include Burrow in that discussion. 

I did include Joe. I don’t want them to change their MO most of the time. If this was a case of Joe changing the play all I am saying is that as the HC, Zac has the prerogative to pre empt overrides in certain, critical situations, and should absolutely exercise it. This was one of them. Should woulda coulda, but I want him to learn from this. 

Like I said, in the moment the first deep strike I was like WTF, OK then didnt pan out. The second was beyond the pale. I’m not pretending to know the intricacies of their interactions other than what we’re seeing from highlights showing callahan in the booth. But, dammit, the buck stops somewhere, and on game day it stops at Zac.
Go Benton Panthers!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2023, 01:09 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: And how do you know they didn’t go over that in film study after the game? I’m willing to bet Zac didn’t get this far chunking long bombs on third and short. It’s common knowledge that Joe goes to Chase a lot more than it’s designed. It’s common knowledge early in the year they had to get Joe to buy in on a short controlled passing game because of the rush 3 drop 8. But run a running play on third and three? You lost me. With our success?

I’m in a van riding, can’t do the fancy multiple quotes right now. You’re lucky I’m typing English, lol. See my above respone to Caesar. And again, why so defensive? IMHO it was a mistake, somewhere in the chain of command, and i hope that they fix it.
Go Benton Panthers!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2023, 02:49 PM)SladeX Wrote: I did include Joe. I don’t want them to change their MO most of the time. If this was a case of Joe changing the play all I am saying is that as the HC, Zac has the prerogative to pre empt overrides in certain, critical situations, and should absolutely exercise it. This was one of them. Should woulda coulda, but I want him to learn from this. 

Like I said, in the moment the first deep strike I was like WTF, OK then didnt pan out. The second was beyond the pale. I’m not pretending to know the intricacies of their interactions other than what we’re seeing from highlights showing callahan in the booth. But, dammit, the buck stops somewhere, and on game day it stops at Zac.

We fans will never be 100% happy.  Im old enough to remember when we all complained that Zac took the ball out of Burrow's hands in Baltimore at the goal line and before that vs the 49ers at the end of the game a couple years ago.  Now we are upset because "Zac has the prerogative to pre empt overrides in certain, critical situations, and should absolutely exercise it."

I don't see Zac pushing more preemptions with Joe, in fact Im guessing the exact opposite and that Joe will have even more freedom.

Reply/Quote