Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Zampese offense
(03-31-2016, 11:05 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Good stuff Fred, i just want to see Ken Zampese do something here... Rock On

Well he already has a great track record.  He coached one QB up to win the Comeback Player of the Year award and the next two to the Pro Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 08:05 PM)Sabretooth Wrote: I hope Marvin ,Ken, and Paul decide to step on opponents throats, take no prisoners, and run the score up!

This.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 10:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If he has learned anything from the the guys he has worked with we should be fine.

His father was legendary offensive guru Ernie Zampese.

At Northern Arizona he worked with Marty Mornhinweg who has produced 8 top ten offenses (with 2 different teams) in 13 seasons as an NFL OC.

Sean Peyton was QB coach for the Eagles when Zampese was there in 1998.

Mike McCarthy was QB coach when Zampese was with the Packers in 1999.

With the Rams Zampese worked alongside Mike Martz and Al Saunders. Martz is credited with inventing "The Greatest Show on Turf" in St Louis, and Saunders had 6 top ten (5 top FIVE) offenses in 9 seasons as an NFL OC with the Chiefs and Raiders.

And here with the Bengals Zampese has worked with successful OC's Hue Jackson, and Jon Gruden.

Thanks Fred
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 04:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote:  

If Hill corrects his lackluster play from last year and the OL does better at opening up holes in the running game the
entire Offense will improve. I liked what i saw from Ogbuehi late last year, he is so athletic and he seems like a natural
at peel blocks. I am sure he will have his struggles but no more than Andre.

I'm hoping Andre being gone helps out the running game. That was the one thing he did fairly well overall, but last year he just could not make lanes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I remembered seeing a small writeup about how Andy Dalton was going to help install Zampese's offense, so there must be some fairly significant difference.  All I could find was a basic link with no real details about the new offense.  http://fantasy.usatoday.com/news/andy-dalton-to-help-install-offense
Reply/Quote
I may be wrong, but I feel the play calling is as important or more important than the offense we run. I have no doubt our new offense will be an NFL caliber offense, but my worry is always the play caller calling the right play in the right situation. Mistakes in play calling will lose us games.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2016, 10:27 AM)Benton Wrote: I'm hoping Andre being gone helps out the running game. That was the one thing he did fairly well overall, but last year he just could not make lanes.

I know right, that was Andre's big time strength for awhile.

But he lost weight and lost his effectiveness in run blocking last year.

Saw some nice blocks from Ogbuehi last season in the run game and he is already a natural pass blocker.

I have high hopes for the guy, was kind of surprised by the pick at the time but this dude has tons of talent.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 03:26 PM)milksheikh Wrote: To be honest, I feel like it will be more passing.

He said he was "fired up" about the LaFell signing so that's a bit interesting.

LaFell hopefully turns his career around here in Cincinnati. I think having AJ Green + Tyler Eifert will help take a lot of the pressure off LaFell.  
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
I'm guessing it'll be the system that Hue and Gruden used. Just with fewer "cute" formations.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2016, 04:18 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I'm guessing it'll be the system that Hue and Gruden used. Just with fewer "cute" formations.

I think Dalton benefited a lot from those formations, honestly. It allowed him to see what the defense was going to do and if they hadn't adjusted well, he would keep that formation and run that play.

Sure, Hue had some head scratching plays (looking at you screen pass in the Steelers game at the 10) but people are really undermining the loss of Jackson. He knew how to work an offense. He's shown it his entire coaching career.

I imagine Zampese will keep a lot of the same plays, but not really add anything new that we haven't seen.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2016, 04:27 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I think Dalton benefited a lot from those formations, honestly. It allowed him to see what the defense was going to do and if they hadn't adjusted well, he would keep that formation and run that play.

Sure, Hue had some head scratching plays (looking at you screen pass in the Steelers game at the 10) but people are really undermining the loss of Jackson. He knew how to work an offense. He's shown it his entire coaching career.

I imagine Zampese will keep a lot of the same plays, but not really add anything new that we haven't seen.

I'm not undermining Hue. He just used cute formations a lot to see what defenses were doing. Gruden didn't use them as much, and that's what I'm expecting fro Zampese.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2016, 04:29 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I'm not undermining Hue. He just used cute formations a lot to see what defenses were doing. Gruden didn't use them as much, and that's what I'm expecting fro Zampese.

Not saying you were, but I know many people on these boards undermine him because of formations like that.

I'm expecting that as well, honestly. The only difference I could see is Dalton changing plays a lot of the time.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2016, 04:33 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Not saying you were, but I know many people on these boards undermine him because of formations like that.

I'm expecting that as well, honestly. The only difference I could see is Dalton changing plays a lot of the time.

I'm with you, I liked the shifts, and think they contributed a lot to the success of the offense.  Hopefully Zampese doesn't totally abandon them.  

I'll admit, my confidence is shaky at best if AD isn't handling the majority of the playcalling on the field.  Having Tom House coach up your position group, and this being the first promotion to OC in many years at this level isn't a ringing endorsement to me.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2016, 05:51 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'll admit, my confidence is shaky at best if AD isn't handling the majority of the playcalling on the field.  Having Tom House coach up your position group, and this being the first promotion to OC in many years at this level isn't a ringing endorsement to me.

House didn't coach Kitna up to win the Comeback Player of the Year Award or Carson to Pro Bowl level.  In fact Dalton had one of the best rookies seasons in history and went to the Pro Bowl before he ever worked with House.

And if you discredit every QB coach in the league whose QBs have worked with House then about 75% of them are no good.

Finally Mike Zimmer did not become a head coach until he was 68.  Does that make you think he is going to suck at it?
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2016, 09:09 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Should be pretty familiar to last year.. Seeing how Andy had a lot of success with that offense it would foolish to make a lot of changes.

I agree, if its not broken why try to fix it? 
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
Andy has a quick mind and a quick release. Exploit that. I'd like to see uptempo and a lot of no huddle thrown in to build a nice lead and then relax a bit. See the 4th quarter of Seattle game as a example of the offense we need.

Reply/Quote
... as long as it doesn't include as many 3rd and long draw plays, I don't care. LOL
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2016, 09:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: House didn't coach Kitna up to win the Comeback Player of the Year Award or Carson to Pro Bowl level.  In fact Dalton had one of the best rookies seasons in history and went to the Pro Bowl before he ever worked with House.

And if you discredit every QB coach in the league whose QBs have worked with House then about 75% of them are no good.

Finally Mike Zimmer did not become a head coach until he was 68.  Does that make you think he is going to suck at it?

Kitna, Palmer, and Dalton have all had the same issue with INTs under his tutelage..... I'm not going to rehash old discussions. Dalton has seen dramatic improvement since going to House. Palmer has looked better in AZ. It isn't rocket science.

Zimmer was a coordinator, without looking, probably promoted from a position coach job. Get it? Rolleyes

Finally, I noticed where DennyG2 registered again yesterday....... or was that your alt? Ninja

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Is he going to be on the sideline or in the booth?
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2016, 02:15 PM)magikod Wrote: LaFell hopefully turns his career around here in Cincinnati. I think having AJ Green + Tyler Eifert will help take a lot of the pressure off LaFell.  

I want the Bengals to have one of the best wide receiver duos in the next few years, Hopefully it's gonna be A.J. Green and Josh Doctson.

Big Grin
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote